Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Austria Niqab Ban

You have contributed 11.1% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 1st February 2017 11:01

Austria is the latest European country to move to ban the full facial veil in public spaces.

The country’s ruling coalition this week agreed to prohibit full-face veils such as the burqa and the niqab in courts and schools, while further investigating the possibility of banning headscarves for women employed in public services.

The ban is part of a package of changes hammered out by the ruling Social Democratic party (SPÖ) and the centre-right Austrian People’s party (ÖVP) to avert the collapse of their coalition government, which would have triggered snap elections.

Other new policy goals they agreed include expanding Austria’s CCTV network and as well as a compulsory “integration year” for asylum seekers, during which they would have to commit themselves to learning German and working for a charitable organisation.

The ban of the full-face veil is seen above all as a symbolic measure designed to avert pressure from the anti-immigration Freedom party (FPÖ), which is currently leading in the polls. Only between 100 and 150 women are estimated to wear the full facial veil in Austria. A spokesperson emphasised the ban would apply for tourist destinations such as the Zell am See ski resort as well as the urban centre of Vienna.

A ban of the full face veil has been place in France and Belgium since 2011, the Netherlands introduced a partial ban in 2015, and the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, endorsed her party’s call to ban the full face veil “wherever it is legally possible” last year.

While the government’s working paper also said civil servants in executive positions, such as judges and state prosecutors, should be forced to wear “religiously neutral” clothing, the Austrian justice ministry has distanced itself from the proposals, stating that guidelines already prescribe specific clothing in court.

According to Der Standard newspaper, there are no women with headscarves working for Austria’s police force or the country’s courts.

The president of Austria’s Islamic Community, Ibrahim Olgun, criticised the proposed ban, saying it would “pull the rug” under efforts to create a good working relationship between the government and the Muslim community.

Source

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 1st February 2017 11:08
Austria have a high number of Veiled Tourists - This will have a negative effect on their sales during holiday season. Mostly Arab BIG SPENDERS will inshaAllah boycott Austria who add to their revenue.

No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 1st February 2017 12:56

abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Arabs standing up for Islam and Boycotting?

I saw a pig flying outside my window! :lol

No post ratings
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 1st February 2017 13:21
They are visiting Europe for entertainment and relaxation. And this is not their desire, it is their necessity. So sacrificing a necessity, why should they do it. They may get rulings to sacrifice the veil itself.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 1st February 2017 18:09
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

lol sorry bro but im going to have to disagree big time. france was one of the first to ban the niqab and still remains the most popular tourist destination. saudis visit there more than they do london. infact king salman did a big trip their about a year ago. i doubt it will affect the tourists at all. the locals ofcourse will suffer and bear the brunt. dont want to make a generalisation but many arabs who cover up back home strip off into western and skimpy outfits before the even land in the country where they are going. you all prob seen this when returning from hajj and umrah who abayas and niqabs come off at customs.
+0 -0Agree x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 1st February 2017 18:14
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

I have to agree. There are a minority of these people who come here purely to sin and gain a bit of haram freedom!

Although I do know of people from the middle east who were very disappointed with the French and as far as I know, they have stopped going there or go there less than before. The only reason for going now, is family.

And these people aren't normal everyday citizens of the middle east, they are from the top ranking families in monetary value and Alhumdulillah very pious too.

I wouldn't label them all with the same tag. I say this because I now plenty of the good ones.
+0 -0Agree x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd February 2017 07:50
Just asking a general question, since it is related:
In the Arab countries such as Saudi ,UAE,Qatar etc , nearly all of the local women use atleast Hijab(head covering) ,with many of them actually wearing niqab as well.
As it was mentioned now, and is true also, that many(though not all) of these women remove these hijabs and niqabs when in Europe.
So does this mean that in their home countries, they are forced to dress this way(hijabs and niqabs)?
Because if they were doing it out of personal conviction,then they would not remove it once out of their home country.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd February 2017 22:06
muslimman wrote:
View original post

in saudi i guess you can say its forced but other gulf nations its just cultural and what is expected it from you even if you dnt want to wear it. to be fair its not just arabs i see it among asians too. dont know who true this story is but a friend of mine was telling me his mother was at a gathered and when it was salaah time she got up to pray and one of the women said to her ' what are you doing? were not in pakistan anymore'
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2017 07:20
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

Thanks for the input,brother.
No post ratings