At Tayyib wrote:
A great deal of research by Maulana Mohammed Faruq Qasmi (Maharashtra) into the role of the Sahabah in settling Mumbai. The first group of Sahabah arrived on the shores of India in the year 15 Hijri (636 CE) and anchored on the port of Thane. There were a total of 9 Sahabah apart from the Tabieen in this group and their names are listed under:
1. Hakm bin Abi al-‘As Thaqafi رضي الله عنه
2. Hafs bin Abi al-‘As رضي الله عنه
3. Mughira bin Abi al-‘As Thaqafi رضي الله عنه
4. Sinan bin Salamah Badhli رضي الله عنه
5. Suhail bin Adi Ansari رضي الله عنه
6. Sahar bin Abbas Abdi رضي الله عنه
7. Asim Amr Taimi رضي الله عنه
8. Hakm bin Umar Ghifari رضي الله عنه
9. Abdullah Ansari رضي الله عنه
Some interesting facts were brought to light on how the Sahabah reached the shores of Mumbai from Bab ul Hind (ie. Bahrain). The author recommends the Muslims of India to get in touch with the Nagpur office of the Archaeological Survey of India, to further research on the settlements of the Sahabah in Maharashtra. A few years back in Chanchi Dhanau area of Thane, five copper arrows were excavated which had the details of the Muslim population and the name of their leader appointed by the local Raja.
The full article was published in Nida-e-Shahi magazine of Jamia Shahi Muradabad, in the following issues
November 2012 Page 50 onwards
December 2012 Page 50 onwards.