Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

The Sahaba (Companions) (Radiallaahu 'anhum)

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.8% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Yasin, sweetmuslimahk1, Taqwah, Naqshband66, Acacia, umar123, Taalibah, Black Turban, Jinn
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#106 [Permalink] Posted on 30th January 2014 10:05
'Umar Ibn 'Abdul 'Azeez رحمه الله was asked about the fighting that took place among the Companions رضي الله عنهم, and he said:

"This is blood that Allaah سبحانه و تعالى kept our hands free from, so why should I not keep my tongue out of it, too? The likeness of the Companions رضي الله عنهم of the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم is that of the eye; the best way to heal the eye is not to touch it."

al-Bayhaqi رحمه الله said, commenting on these words of 'Umar Ibn 'Abdul 'Azeez رحمه الله: "This is very good, because keeping quiet about what does not concern one is the right thing to do."

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 228]
report post quote code quick quote reply
+4 -0Like x 1Winner x 3
Rank Image
London
Brother
#107 [Permalink] Posted on 31st January 2014 09:45
Al-Hasan al-Basri رحمه الله was asked about the Companions رضي الله عنهم fighting amongst themselves, and he said: "That was fighting in which the Companions of Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم were present, and we were not; they knew, but we do not know. In the issues on which they agreed, we follow; on the issues on which they differed, we refrain from taking a stance."

The meaning of these words of al-Hasan al-Basri رحمه الله is that the Companions رضي الله عنهم had more knowledge of what they got involved in than we do. All we have to do is follow them in that on which they were agreed, refrain from taking a stance on that concerning which they differed, and not introduce our own opinion. We may be certain that they based their actions on what they thought was correct, seeking Allah سبحانه و تعالى thereby, because they were sincere in their commitment to Islam.

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, pp. 228-229]
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#108 [Permalink] Posted on 4th February 2014 10:01
Imam Ja'far Ibn Muhammad as-Sadiq رحمه الله was asked about what happened amongst the Companions رضي الله عنهم, and he replied: "I say what Allah said:

'The knowledge thereof is with my Lord, in a record. My Lord neither errs nor does He forget.' (Soorah Ta Ha, 20:52)

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 229]
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
London
Brother
#109 [Permalink] Posted on 5th February 2014 11:42
Imam Ahmad رحمه الله said, after he was asked about what happened between Sayyiduna 'Ali رضي الله عنه and Sayyiduna Mu'awiyah رضي الله عنه: "I do not say anything about them except that which is best."

It was narrated that Ibraheem Ibn Ariz al-Faqeeh رحمه الله said: "I was with Ahmad Ibn Hanbal رحمه الله when a man asked him about what happened between 'Ali رضي الله عنه and Mu'awiyah رضي الله عنه. He turned away from him, and it was said to him: 'O Abu 'Abdillah, he is a man of Banu Hashim.' So he turned towards him and recited the verse:

"That was a nation who has passed away. They shall receive the reward of what they earned, and you of what you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do."'" (Soorah al-Baqarah, 2:141)

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 229]
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#110 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2014 09:49
Ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawani رحمه الله said, in the context of his discussion about what the Muslim is obliged to believe about the Companions رضي الله عنهم of the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم and how they should be mentioned:

"None of the Companions رضي الله عنهم of the Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم should be mentioned except in the best way, and we should refrain from debating about the dispute that occurred among them because they are the most deserving of people of finding the best way of interpreting what they said and did, and of being thought of in the most positive manner."

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 230]
+2 -0Winner x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#111 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2014 10:33
Abu 'Abdillah Ibn Battah رحمه الله said, in his discussion on the belief of Ahlus Sunnah wal-Jama'ah:

"Moreover, we refrain from deliberating about the dispute that arose among the Companions رضي الله عنهم of the Messenger of Allaah رضي الله عنهم. They were with him during major events, and they have precedence over others for that reason. Allaah سبحانه و تعالى has forgiven them and has enjoined you to pray for forgiveness for them and to draw close to Him by loving them; that was enjoined on the lips of His Prophet رضي الله عنهم. He knew what would happen between them and that they would fight; the reason they were given precedence over all other people is because all of their mistakes, deliberate or otherwise, have been pardoned, and all of their disputes have been forgiven."

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 230]
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#112 [Permalink] Posted on 10th February 2014 10:06
Abu Bakr Ibn at-Tayyib al-Baqillani رحمه الله said:

"It must be noted that with regard to the disputes that occurred among the Companions رضي الله عنهم of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, we should refrain from examining them and ask Allaah سبحانه و تعالى to have mercy on all of them; we praise them and ask Allaah سبحانه و تعالى to be pleased with them and to grant them safety (in the Hereafter), victory and Paradise. We believe that 'Ali رضي الله عنه was right in what he did and will have two rewards, and that what the Companions رضي الله عنهم did was based on what they thought was best, so they will have one reward; they are not to be regarded as evildoers or innovators. The evidence for that is the verse in which Allaah سبحانه و تعالى says:

'Indeed, Allaah was pleased with the believers when they gave the Bay'ah [pledge] to you [O Muhammad] under the tree, He knew what was in their hearts, and He sent down as-Sakeenah [calmness and tranquility] upon them, and He rewarded them with a near victory.' (Soorah al-Fath, 48:18),

and the words of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم: 'If the ruler or judge strives to reach a verdict and gets it right, he will have two rewards; if he strives to reach a verdict and gets it wrong, he will have one reward.'

If the judge in our time will have two rewards for his effort to reach right judgement, then what do you think about the effort of those with whom Allaah سبحانه و تعالى is pleased and they are pleased with Him? The soundness of this view is indicated by the words of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم to al-Hasan رضي الله عنه: 'This son of mine is a leader, and perhaps Allaah will reconcile two great groups of the Muslims through him.'

The greatness of each of the two groups was confirmed, and it was ruled that their Islam was sound. Allaah سبحانه و تعالى promised to remove the resentment from their hearts when He said:

'And We shall remove from their breasts any deep feeling of bitterness [that they may have]. [So they will be like] brothers facing each other on thrones.' (Soorah al-Hijr, 15:47)

So we must refrain from debating about the conflict that occurred among them and keep quiet about it."

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, pp. 230-231]
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#113 [Permalink] Posted on 11th February 2014 09:59
Shaykhul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah رحمه الله said, when discussing the belief of Ahlus Sunnah wal-Jama'ah concerning the conflict among the Companions رضي الله عنهم:

"They refrain from debating about the conflict among the Companions رضي الله عنهم and say: 'These reports that mention bad conduct on their part include reports to which things have been added, or from which things have been omitted, or which have been interpreted in the wrong way. As for those reports that are sound, they are excused for their conduct; or they based their conduct on what they thought was right, and they got it right; or they based their conduct on what they thought was right, but they got it wrong.'"

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, pp. 231-232]
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#114 [Permalink] Posted on 12th February 2014 09:32
al-Hafidh Ibn Katheer رحمه الله said:

"With regard to that concerning which they differed amongst themselves after the death of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم, some of it happened without their intending it to, such as the Battle of the Camel; some of it was based on what they thought was correct, such as the Battle of Siffeen. A decision may be mistaken, but the person is excused; even if it is wrong, he will be rewarded for it, and the one who gets it right will have two rewards."

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 232]
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#115 [Permalink] Posted on 13th February 2014 10:10
al-Hafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله said:

"Ahlus Sunnah are unanimously agreed that it is not allowed to criticise any of the Companions رضي الله عنهم because of what happened to them, even if we know who was in the right, because they did not fight these battles except on the basis of what they believed was right. Indeed, it is proven that (the one who got it wrong) will have one reward, and the one who got it right will have two rewards."

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 232]
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#116 [Permalink] Posted on 17th February 2014 10:19
It was narrated that Bassam as-Sayrafi asked Imam Abu Ja'far رحمه الله about Sayyiduna Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه and Sayyiduna 'Umar رضي الله عنه, and he said:

"By Allaah, I love them and pray for forgiveness for them; I never met anyone of Ahlul Bayt who did not love them."

[Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH]
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
London
Brother
#117 [Permalink] Posted on 18th February 2014 10:02
It was narrated from Imam Muhammad Ibn 'Ali رحمه الله that he said:

"Banu Fatimah (the sons of Fatimah) are unanimously agreed on saying the best words concerning Abu Bakr and 'Umar رضي الله عنهما."

It was also narrated that he said to Jabir al-Ja'fi:

"O Jabir, I heard that some people in 'Iraq are claiming that they love us, and they impugn Abu Bakr and 'Umar رضي الله عنهما and claim that I am telling them to do so. Tell them from me that I disavow them before Allaah سبحانه و تعالى. By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم, if I were to be appointed to a position of authority, I would seek to draw close to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى by executing them. May I never attain the intercession of Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم if I do not seek forgiveness for them (Abu Bakr and 'Umar رضي الله عنهما) and pray for mercy for them. The enemies of Allaah سبحانه و تعالى are not aware of their virtue. So tell them that I disavow them and anyone else who shuns Abu Bakr and 'Umar رضي الله عنهما."

[Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 582]
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#118 [Permalink] Posted on 20th February 2014 13:24
Imam ash-Shawkani رحمه الله narrated that there was consensus among Ahlul Bayt that it is haraam to revile the Companions رضي الله عنهم, and this was narrated in twelve reports.

It is narrated that 'Abdullah Ibn al-Hasan Ibn 'Ali رحمه الله said, "I do not think that any man who reviles Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه and 'Umar رضي الله عنه will ever be guided to repent."

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 539]
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#119 [Permalink] Posted on 21st February 2014 12:15
Imam 'Ali Ibn al-Husayn Zayn al-'Abideen رحمه الله used to mention the Companions رضي الله عنهم of the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم and pray for mercy and forgiveness for them in his prayer because of the support they gave to the master of mankind in spreading the call of tawheed and conveying the message of Allaah سبحانه و تعالى to His creation. He said:

"O Allaah, grant them Your pleasure and forgiveness, O Allaah, in particular the Companions, who were good Companions who strove hard to support him; they stood with him and hastened to offer refuge and protect him. They were the first to accept his call and respond to him when he presented the proof for his message. They left their wives and children to support his word; they fought their fathers and sons in support of his prophethood; they abandoned their tribes to join him, and their relatives abandoned them when they decided to be with him. O Allaah, whatever they gave up was for Your sake, so be pleased with them and reward them abundantly, since they strove hard to support the truth for Your sake.

Reward them for abandoning their homes for Your sake, for leaving a life of ease for a life of hardship, and for leaving a life of abundance to a life of little, all in support of Your religion. O Allaah, reward with the best of reward those who followed them in truth and said, 'O our Lord, forgive our brothers in faith who came before us,' those who followed their example and emulated them; they never had any doubt about their deep insight and never hesitated to follow in their footsteps and follow their guidance, loving and supporting them, following their way, uniting behind them and never questioning them with regard to what they passed on to them."

[Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, pp. 540-541]
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#120 [Permalink] Posted on 24th February 2014 09:57
Ameerul Mu'mineen 'Ali رضي الله عنه described the Companions رضي الله عنهم of the Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم:

"I saw the Companions of Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم, and I have never seen anyone like them. They would wake up unkempt and dusty, having spent all night in prostration and prayer, alternating between resting their foreheads and their feet on the ground, feeling alarm due to thinking of the Hereafter. It was as if there were marks between their eyes like the knees of a goat because of lengthy prostration. When Allaah سبحانه و تعالى was remembered, their eyes would fill with tears until their garments became wet. They would sway like trees on a stormy day for fear of punishment and in hope of reward."

[Quoted in: Dr. 'Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi: 'Ali Ibn Abi Talib رضي الله عنه, IIPH, vol. 2, p. 539]
+1 -0Winner x 1

Jump to page:

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What shape is the red shape ('round' is not a shape)?