Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

The Personal Appearance of the Holy Prophet

You have contributed 100.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 8th December 2006 12:23
The Personal Appearance of the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu -alaihi wa Sallam) in Hadiths

Hadrat Hasan bin 'Ali (Radiallahu 'Anhu) narrated that he asked his(maternal) uncle, Hind bin Abi Halah, who was an expert of the personalappearance of the Holy Prophet (Sallalliihu 'aLaihi wa Salam), to tellhim about that because the former (i.e. Hasan) was anxious to memorisethat thoroughly. Hind said, "The Messenger of Allah (sallalliihu'alaihi wa Salam) was magnificent, and highly honored (in others eyes).His face used to shine like a full moon. He was a little taller than asquare-built, but shorter than a tall man, with a' (suitably) big head.His hair were straight with little curve; if he combed them and a plaitappeared then he left it as such otherwise not. His hair, whenstraightened, went (little) beyond the lobes of the ears. He was ofbright color, wide forehead, and curved shaggy eyebrows which were notunited with each other (in the middle) rather there was a thin vein inbetween them which used to run over in anger. He was having an aquilinenose with a light on its tip due to which the person seeing with adistance would know that the nose was long. His beard was thick, eyeswere very black, cheeks were smooth (and even), mouth was suitably big.He was man of beautiful teeth having interstices in between them. Therewas a thin row of hair from his chest to the navel. His neck was clearlike silver and it was so smooth as though it was carved for an image.He was of a balanced form with fleshy and stout body. The chest and thebelly were even; and the chest was broad. The distance between the twoshoulders was a little more (than in ordinary persons). The joints ofthe bones were bulky. His body used to shine when he took off hisclothes.
There was a thin row of hair from the collar to the navel butthere were no hair on other parts of the body including the chest andthe belly except little hair on the two shoulders, the upper part ofthe two arms and the upper part of the chest. The fore-arms were longer(than in ordinary persons). The palms were spacious. The shins werestraight. The feet and the hands were fleshy, and the exterimities ofthe body were well-shaped. The soles of his feet were hollow (so thattheir middle part would not touch the ground).His feet were glossy; ifwater fell over them it flowed easily. He raised his step forcefully,and walked gently inclining forward. He used to walk fast as though heis coming down a slope. Whenever he wanted to see (anything) on hisside (or back) he turned fully (and did not have a side glance). Hekept his eyes downwards more than upwards to the sky. He looked withthe outer corner of his eyes (i.e. he was not used to see gaze fullydue to modesty). He used to keep his Companions ahead of him whilewalking; and whomsoever he met he started (his talks) with Salaam."

In continuation to the above narration, Hadrat Hasan says that heasked Hind bin Abi Halah (Radiallahu'Anhu) to tell him something aboutthe way of talking of the Holy Prophet (sallalahu 'alaihi wa Sallam).He said, "The Holy Prophet (sallalaihi 'alahi wa Sallam) was alwaysgrieved (for the Hereafter), thoughtful (about the events of theHereafter), and had no leisure. He was reserved in speech and did nottalk without any necessity; and usually sat down quietly for a longtime. His speech was very clear from the beginning till the end. Histalks were perfect (i.e. although the speech was short yet it conveyeddeep meanings), which made clear distinction between the right and thewrong, and were away from the additions or omissions. He was polite andwas neither harsh nor insulting to the person addressed. He appreciatedevery favour of Allah (and ease) although it were very insignificant.He never scorned a favour. As far as the meals are concerned he neitherscorned them nor praised them (too much). If anybody opposed the Righthe was extremely annoyed until he defended it. In another narration ithas been said that he was not annoyed for worldly sake or for his ownself. He did not take revenge for his own self.

Whenever he made a gesture he used his full hand. If he showed hissurprise on any event, he turned his hand. And if he talked (insurprise) he struck the thumb of his right hand on the palm of his lefthand. Whenever he was annoyed, he turned his face on the other side, orturned whole body to the other side, and whenever he was pleased hekept his eyes downwards. Usually he smiled (instead of bursting of alaughter), and his front teeth appeared in smiling like the hails".Hadhrat Hasan (Radiallahu 'Anhu) says, "I kept this Hadith out of thesight of Husain bin-Ali (Hasan's younger brother) for sometime.Afterwards I narrated it before him, but he had learnt it before me.Moreover, he also learnt from his father (i.e.
Hadrath Ali (rad) about Holy Prophet's way of entering the houseand coming out of it; his way of sitting and meeting the people etc.;and left nothing without inquiry".

Hadrat Hasan narrated, "I asked my father (i.e. Hadrat Ali(rad)about Holy Prophet's way of entering the house." He said, "He used togo in the,house for his personal needs; and his admittance to his housewas governed by (Allah's) permission. Whenever he came in the house, hedivided the time into three parts-one part reserved for Allah, theother part for the family members, and the third for himself (i.e. totake rest etc.). Even out of the part of the time, he reserved forhimself, he devoted a part to his people-specially his closeCompanions, who conveyed to other (what they learnt from the HolyProphet, during this time) and he did not hide anything from (his)people. During this time his behaviour was that he preferredmeritorious Companions (i.e. those who were more learned) to theothers, and distributed among' them (their works) and assigned them(the religious duties) according to their understanding in thereligion. Some of them were in the need of one thing;some other werehaving the need of two things; while others were having the need ofmore than two things. He used to enquire into (their necessities) andalso about the news (and necessities) of others. Then he supplied themtheir wants and assigned them such works through which not only theywere corrected but also other people through them. Then he advisedthem: "Whosoever is present here, should convey to others. If some oneis not able to tell me his necessity, you should tell me his necessity;because whosoever conveys the necessity of the person, who is not ableto convey it, to the one who is competent to supply the wants ofothers, Allah will make his feet firm on the (Bridge of Sirat) on theDay of Judgment." Only such things (which were either beneficial toother people) were narrated before him and not useless talks. Thevisitors were entertained (with some food etc.) In another Hadith ithas been narrated that whosoever visited him (i.e The Holy Prophet), heentertained them with some food and came out (in such a condition thathe was more) educated and guided (in the religious understanding)

Hayatus Sahaba
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'Yellow' written in?