Create an account
Most Reputable Members

Praising

You have contributed 12.5% of this topic

Topic Appreciation
Appreciate
The following members appreciate this topic: the fake shaykh, abu mohammed, dr76, Acacia
Arfatzafar
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd June 2014 08:20
(bism1)

Abu Musa رضي الله عنه said,
"The Prophet (saw) heard a man praising another man and saying good words about him while he was present with them. He said, 'You have destroyed *or broke the back of the man!'"

[Al- Bukhari & Muslim]

Also,

Abdur- Ra'hman bin Abi Bakrah رضي الله عنه said that a man was once mentioned in the presence of the Messenger of Allah (saw). Another man said good words of praise about him. The Messenger of Allah (saw) then said, what translated means, "Woe unto you! You have beheaded your friend. If one of you has to praise, let him say, 'I think this and that' (about the praised man), if he thinks that he deserves it, 'And his reckoning is with Allah سبحانه وتعالى,' and let him not ascribe purity (to anyone)."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

Also,

Ibrahim At-Taymi rh.a said that his father rh.a said,
"We were sitting in the presence of Umar رضي الله عنه when a man praised another man to his face. Umar رضي الله عنه said, 'You 'Aqartahu (crippled him), may Allah سبحانه وتعالى do the same to you.'" Furthermore, Abu Ma'mar rh.a said that a man stood up and praised one of the leaders, then Al-Miqdad رضي الله عنه started throwing sand in his face, and saying, "The Messenger of Allah (saw) ordered us to throw sand in the faces of the praisers."

[Muslim, At-Tirmithi, Abu Dawood & ibn Majah]

From these Hadiths and stories, we conclude that the Messenger of Allah (saw) prohibited praising others, especially while they can hear their praise. This is because such praise may encourage the praised persons to overestimate themselves, especially if they were people of position or wealth. Also, such praise may lead the praised person to be arrogant, which may lead to laziness and a lower number of good deeds, for one will depend on what he heard of praise and ignore acquiring more good deeds.....subhan'Allah!!
may Allah سبحانه وتعالى indeed make us better than others think and imagine us to be..Aameen and may Allah سبحانه وتعالى protect us from pride....Aameeen!!

''for verily a soul with an atoms weight of pride will not enter Jannah''
report post quote code quick quote reply
Like x 3
Site Support
Please DONATE generously towards Muftisays

We spend hundreds of hours ensuring you receive a quality service from this site. We do not fall into the advertisement schemes as all the ads contain elements of Haraam including Haraam Islamic links. Please consider setting up a £1 monthly donation. May Allah (swt) reward you.

dr76
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd June 2014 08:40
(bism1)

Heard in a bayan of Arif Billah Hazrat Maulana Shah Hakeem Muhammed Akhtar sahab (rah) :

" The Priincipal of Madrassa Azadville south Africa once called me saying Hazrat.. from the praises people mount on me..i feel i have Kibr.. what shall i do.. i told him to recite

Allahumma lakal hamd wa laka shukr..whenever someone praises you.. that by making Hamd and Shukr of Allah the person shall draw closer to Allah سبحانه وتعالى and drift away from Kibr..

About the hadith meaning whenever someone praises you throw dust on his face.. does not mean to throw dust on people who praise you.. the interpretation of this Hadith done by ( either Allama Alusi (rah) or someone else, I,ie, dr76,is not sure), refers to Marasi - a group of professional praisers who exagerrated.. seeking rewards..

(He then recited famous dua in hadith "Allahumma ja'alni fi a'ini sagheera wa fi a'yuninnaasi kabeera" and the interpretation of it..)

I wrote a letter to my Shaikh Muhi-us Sunnah Hazrat Maulana Shah Abrar ul Haq sahab (rah) praising him.. with titles.. and Hazrat Shah sahab (rah) replied saying iam nothing.. and Allah سبحانه وتعالى reward you for your Husn e dhann.. he did not send me a packet filled with dust attached with a karamat that was supposed to be thrown on my face.. "

duas..

wa Assalam..
Like x 5
Black Turban
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd June 2014 10:16
Question: Is it true that the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said to throw dust on the face of someone who gives praise to us?

Answer: In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

al-Miqdad (Allah be pleased with him) said that, "The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) ordered us to throw a handful of dust at the faces of those excessive in praise." [Muslim (3002), Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Ibn Maja, and Ahmad]

There have been a number of interpretations to this hadith as mentioned in the works of hadith commentary.

The main opinions are:

1. That this is understood literally (as indicated by the actions of al-Miqdad himself and some others of the salaf);

2. That it is for the purpose of being stern with such excessive praises, so people realize their errors and stop since it can lead to the one being praised becoming deluded and haughty;

Imam Khattabi, the early commentator on Sunan Abi Dawud, explained that "excessive praisers" are those who make it a habit to do so, or seek material benefit from it with the one praised. As for the one who praised someone due to his good deeds or traits, with a good intention such as others recognizing the person's virtue and benefiting from them or following their good example, such an individual is not an "excessive praiser".

Imam Ghazali, however, cautioned against the dangers of careless praise, on both the one praised (such as haughtiness and delusion) and the one praising (such as exaggeration that becomes lying, or insincere motives in the praise).

This is why the best of ways in praise, like all matters, is moderation.

And Allah knows best.

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani (Source)

The End

So, that Hadith does not mean what laymen generally comprehend as clearly mentioned in this fatwa. An excerpt from Hayatus Sahabah (Volume 2):

Hadhrat Isa bin Atiyya reports that the day after the Sahabah رضي الله عنهم had pledged their allegiance to Hadhrat Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه, he stood up to deliver a lecture. He said, "O people! I am cancelling your decision (to appoint me as Khalifah) for I am not the best of you. You should therefore pledge your allegiance to the person who is best amongst you." The Sahabah رضي الله عنهم stood up and replied, "O Khalifah of Rasulullaah (saw)! We swear by Allaah that you are the best amongst us."

Yet Rasool (saw)'s statement is taken out of context by some people and blunders are made without judging the situation. May Allaah سبحانه وتعالى give us correct understanding of Deen.
Like x 4
dr76
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 15th September 2014 06:43
(salam)

As requested by Maulana Abu uzair sahab (db) (attabligh.com).

(bism1)

بسم الله الرحمن اللرحيم

Hazrat Ubay Bin Ka’ab رضي الله عنه narrates that Rasulullah (saw) said: “O Abu Mundhir..! Do you know which is the greatest verse in the book of Allah that you have?’ , I replied:

( اللّهُ لاَ إِلَـهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّو )

“ Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists.” [Al-Baqarah:255]

He (saw) hit my chest and said : "May knowledge delight and benefit you, O’ Abu Mundhir."(Muslim)

Mas’ala (Precept): when there is no apprehension of self obsession,one may be praised for his ilm and Taqwa in his very presence. The wisdom here is that people may gain knowledge from him as much as possible and benefit from him.

(Daleel Al Faliheen Li'turuq Riyadhul Salihin , Vol,III)

END

duas..

wa Assalam..
Like x 1
dr76
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 25th July 2016 21:49
(bism1)

(salam)

This is the Bayan ( by Arif Billah Hazrat Maulana Shah Muhammed Akhtar sahab (rah) ) i was referring to, plz do listen.. very beneficial Masha Allah..

Youtube Video

duas..

wa Assalam..

Like x 3
Maripat
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 26th July 2016 05:33
dr76 wrote:
View original post

Dr Sahab kindly find time to talk about, even if it is very briefly, the individual members of SF whom you can recall. After that forum has gone now I fear even the memories of brothers and sisters from those times will disappear.

No post ratings
Guest-271333
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 26th July 2016 17:32
Also kindly read this hadith
Hazrath Abu Sa'id Khudri RA narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam said:
"If a man was do a deed within a rock which has no door or window, his deed would become known to people, whatever it is GOOD or BAD"

Baihaqi

From Muntakhab Ahadith
No post ratings
Afzalsheikh
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 8th September 2017 10:08
All praise is for Allah Who sent us such a great Last Messenger Muhammad (‫)ﷺ‬ that the lips kiss two time when you call the name Muhammad (‫.)ﷺ‬ Such a beautiful name is mentioned in the holy Quran four times in the following verses. Muhammad is no more than a Messenger: many were the Messengers that passed away before him. Muhammad is not the father of any of you men, but (he is) the Messenger of Allah, and the Seal of the Prophets: But those who trust and work deeds of righteousness, and trust in the (Revelation) sent down to Muhammad- ) Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah; and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but) compassionate among each other. All praise is for Allah Who sent us such a great Last Messenger Muhammad (‫)ﷺ‬ that he is the only one who has seen Allah so far and none else at all. All praise is for Allah Whose Last Messenger Muhammad (‫)ﷺ‬ attractively explained the life the believers and disbelievers in this world as mentioned in The Hadith. Abu Hurairah narrated that the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) said: "The world is a jail for the believer and Paradise for the disbeliever." : , . All praise is for Allah Who providing us independence by letting us follow the footprints of the Last Messenger Muhammad (‫.)ﷺ‬ All praise is for Allah Who sent us such a great Last Messenger Muhammad (‫)ﷺ‬ that even science is proving his sunnah right, the useful teachings for humanity...
Agree x 1
Back to top Post New Topic Reply

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What is the word in red?