Create an account
Most Reputable Members

Start With The Self.

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Topic Appreciation
Appreciate
The following members appreciate this topic: Abdur Rahman ibn Awf, Taalibah, abu mohammed, dr76, Naqshband66, samah, najimuddin, Abdullah1
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#436 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2015 16:55
The Blessing Of Dua.

Julaybib; wrote:
Salaam's.

Dua

extracted form the book...in the early hours... by Ustadh Khurram Murad.

Dua, supplicating to Allah, is `the spirit of ibada.' (Tirmidhi.) Indeed, it is a demand of Islam. The Prophet has exhorted us: `Allah is angry with him who does not ask [anything] from Him.' (Tirmidhi)

Each of your duas must capture the spirit of your goals and ambitions. You must offer them with humility and sincerity. The Prophet Muhammad has taught us some of the most beautiful supplications - said in beautiful words, encapsulating beautiful ideas, through beautiful ways of asking. Reflect upon the following dua as an example:

I am Your servant, I am at Your door. I am a poor man, I am at Your door. I am a helpless man, I am at Your door. I am a sinner, I am at Your door. l am Your guest, You invited me to come, I am at Your door. So have mercy on me.

There are many similar duas that move the heart and make tears flow from one's eyes. Additionally, there are duas that were part of the Prophet's daily routine: Prayers said while eating, drinking, sleeping, entering and leaving home. All of these duas must be memorised and utilised, for they remind us of Allah and His Omniscience.

But how exactly can these duas be used by us to remember Allah? Allow me to share with you one method, which can be utilised on a daily basis. The Prophet Muhammad taught us in one hadith:

After performing the dawn [Subh] Prayer, before you utter another word, say: O Allah, save me from Hell-fire [Allahumma ajirni min an-nar], seven times. If you die that day, Allah will decree that you be saved from Hell-fire. After performing the sunset [Maghrib] Prayer, before you utter another word, say: O Allah, save me from Hell-fire, seven times. If you die that night, Allah will decree that you be saved from Hell-fire- (Abu Dawud.)

Whenever I recite this dua, I use a method of recitation and reflection which helps me remember the final meeting with my Lord. For each of the seven times I recite this dua, I reflect on one of the stages from the Quran of the Akhira: the time of death; the sojourn and questioning by the angel in the grave; the time of rising and standing before Allah; the time of giving an account of all that has been done and seeing our actions displayed before us; and the passage over the Sirat or Bridge, then entering either Paradise or Hell.

All of these are stages of the journey. Each time that I bring to my mind one of those stages, even for the briefest moment, I supplicate to Him: `O Allah save me from the fire'.

This exercise in supplication takes me about five minutes after both Salat al-Fajr and Salat al-Maghrib. There is, however, no prescribed format to follow. You can select and form your own short course of duas based on the Prophetic traditions and use this as part of the regular way in which you remember Allah.

Finally, it is important for us to observe the etiquette of dua so that we may derive maximum benefit from them. These have been beautifully summarised by Imam al-Nawawi, where he lists ten prime conditions and dispositions that we should observe:
- Seek out the blessed times of Prayer: The Day of the Standing on the plain of Arafat [during Hajj]; the month of fasting [Ramadan]; Fridays [days of congregational prayers]; and during the night [especially the last third of it].

- Seek out the blessed moments for Prayer when the heart is receptive and tender: immediately after the five daily prescribed Prayers; between the call to Prayer (adhan) and the final call to Prayer (iqama); when breaking fast; while on the field of battle; when rainfall occurs; and when bowing down [sujud] in Prayer, for the Prophet said, `The worshipper is closest to his Lord while bowing down. So pray much then.' (Muslim.)

- Face the direction of Makka and raise the hands [with palms spread upward] to the level of the shoulders.

- Voice supplications in a moderate tone that is neither too loud nor too soft.

- Prayers need not be said in a forced rhymed prose [an often natural form in Arabic].

- Implore God with humility and reverence.

- Be fervent in Prayer and optimistic of the answer. Sufyan ibn Uyayna stated: What a person knows of himself should never stop him from supplicating to God for He answered the most evil creatures, Iblis [Shaytan], when he said, `Give me respite until the Day they are resurrected. God said, You are of the respired ones.' [al-Araf 7: 14.]

- Repeat requests, preferably three times, and don't be impatient or despondent in waiting for an answer.

- Begin supplication with the mention of God [His Names, praises and attributes] before asking of Him, and entreat God to send His blessings and peace upon the Prophet.

- Strive for inner purity with repentance and sincere devotion.

You can read this short book online here.... www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=76

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Site Support
Please DONATE generously towards Muftisays

We spend hundreds of hours ensuring you receive a quality service from this site. We do not fall into the advertisement schemes as all the ads contain elements of Haraam including Haraam Islamic links. Please consider setting up a £1 monthly donation. May Allah (swt) reward you.

Abdur Rahman ibn Awf
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#437 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2015 16:59
On The Power Of Intention And Gratitude!

UmmeGibrel; wrote:
I am so much busy in my house chores, looking after my family, my kid, when it comes to prayer times, i rush it through. I know its not meant to be this way, and after every prayer i feel like i've served no one and i am nothing. I've no time to read now with a kid snatching my book away and biting on it and i rarely get a chance to go on the internet to learn something beneficial. What a life?!?

Julaybib; wrote:
Salaam's.

The Ulemah state that one of the keys is to turn everyday tasks in to worship, by making a sincere intention what you are doing is for the sake of Allah , for example a person may go to work to earn an income, whilst the another person may go to work with the intention of obeying the commands of Allah of earning a halal income, even though both are engaged in the same activity the latter will be in the state of worship, and will be rewarded as such.

I hope the following advice of shaykh Saleem Dorat will be of some benefit Insha'allah.

Turning Housework into Worship Friday

*Source In Shaykhs Company Blog.

by Muhammad Abdullah

As part of the series of lectures delivered in this year’s Ramadhan programme our respected Shaykh hafizahullah delivered a lecture on the necessity of intentions (#UM284: Niyyat-Aamal Ki Rooh). Below is a short transcript to the nearest meaning:

“In our homes, generally our womenfolk cook and clean kindly from the goodnesses of their hearts. From morning to evening how many household chores do they undertake? But most of our mothers and sisters don’t have any specific intention behind what they are doing. They have no intention; they undertake their tasks as a matter of routine. When the household chores are being undertaken just as part of a routine then they receive no reward for what they are doing.

If our mothers and sister think that my young children are small and innocent. I am cooking for them and when I feed them how happy will they become. And if I become the means of creating happiness in the hearts of my children then how happy will my Allah become. I am cleaning my house because everyone likes to live in a clean environment. My husband will be pleased, my mother-in-law will be pleased, my father-in-law will be pleased, my children will be pleased, any guests that visit my house will be pleased. If I become the means of bringing pleasure to the hearts of all these people then my Allah will definitely become pleased with me.

Now (because there is an intention and the intention is correct) all the work that you are doing is turned into worship”.

Once Shaykh likewise reminded the men to correct their intentions whilst working, that they should intend that they are working to provide lawful (Halaal) sustenance, shelter and clothing for their spouse and children, and this intention would work to make their daily duty also into worship!

Some Thoughts To Ponder.

We often feel overwhelmed what we must remember is that any success or accomplishment in life is only through the help of Allah. Another key that I have found to be of benefit is shukr. One may find it difficult to pray in a relaxed manner and with concentration, and become despondent. First of all that you are given tawfiq to pray at all is a blessing from Allah, their many people who are deprived of even of the ability to pray at all . So make shukr to Allah that he has Blessed you with this tawfiq (also do istighfar and seek forgiveness for lack of concentration) and also ask him to make your circumstances so that you are able to pray with full focus and concentration. Also thank Allah for giving you the strength and ability to do household tasks, and to serve your Family. remember if a person is grateful for a blessing then Allah will increase them in that blessing.

"Know that thankfulness leads to the perpetuation of favours already received and to the obtaining of others that are desired. God the Exalted has said: If you give thanks, I shall surely increase you (XIV:7) He is, Exalted is He, too Generous to take away a favour from someone who is thanking him. He has said, Exalted is He: That is because God never changes a blessing he has bestowed on any people until they first change what is in themselves, ( VIII:51) that is their neglecting to give thanks..........."

Imam Abdallah Ibn Alawi Al Hadad (May Allah bless him abundantly and confer His Mercy upon him)* Taken from 'The Book of Assistance'

Another intereseting point here is that in a recent study, in the United states people suffering from Depression, and stress where asked, to keep a gratitude diary noting down the things they where grateful for. The results where staggering compared to other forms of conventional therapy where a person is asked to relate the things that make them feel depressed. So if a person focuses on feelings of depression the more depressed they feel, if a person focuses on feelings of Gratitude the more positive their outlook becomes.

So even the Psychology is confirming what our ulemah have been teaching for centuries.

May Allah make all your tasks easy, and bless you with the best of the duniyah and akhirah ameen.

No post ratings
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#438 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2015 17:02
Keep asking.

Salaam's.

O servants of ALLAH,be sensible and work to know the one whom you worship. Before death comes to you!

Ask Him to supply all your needs by day and night. Asking for something is an act of worship, whether or not He gives what you ask for, do not accuse Him, do not rush Him. Ask Him while standing on the feet of humilty. If His reply was delayed do not object to Him. For He knows your best interests better then you. Listen to these words understand them and act in accordance with them. These are words on a straightway. They are the words of someone who is experienced and an expert...."

The Saint of Saints, Shaykh Abdul Qadir Gilani (rah)
Source the book Jila al Khatir.
No post ratings
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#439 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2015 17:04
Julaybib; wrote:

From the Heart

by Abu Abdullah Ibne Ismail

“Dua is of two types. The first is when a person supplicates as a matter of ritual practice. The second is when a person turns to Allah ta’ala with his heart and mind and with full conviction.

The promise of acceptance is for this second type of dua.”

*Source...In Shaykhs Company.

Something To Ponder.

I just like to conclude the several posts on the power of dua over the last few pages with a brief summary.

Ask Allah for all your needs , even when the situation seems impossible, ask Allah for he alone has the Power to make possible, all that seems hopeless and impossible.

If you want to see Miracles Keep asking Allah with sincerity concerning all your needs, you will see miraculous opportunities, and circumstances appearing in your life.

Their will be days when you feel lazy, or despondent, and cannot be bothered to make Dua, on those days despite the laziness and the feelings of despondency, make Dua with greater focus. You will Insha'Allah experience many blessings. Never ever give up asking, remain firm and steadfast.

In those situations where you feel that there is no need to make Dua we should make dua none the less. For example a person maybe intending , to purchase some necessities, he may feel he has plenty of money on him, and there is no need to make dua. He wakes up to find his mailbox filled with unexpected bills and invoices.......; So the point is we should make Dua for all things whether minor or major and Never give up hope.

May Allah give us the Tawfiq to turn to him, to rely upon him , to have trust in his decree, and to hope in his mercy Ameen.

No post ratings
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#440 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2015 17:06

Trust In Allah.

Julaybib; wrote:
Salaam's.

Basketball star teaches trust in Allah
By Abdul Malik Mujahid

Brother Hakeem Olajuwon taught me the importance of Tawakul, or trusting Allah.

Br. Hakeem was an MVP on the Houston Rockets basketball team a couple of years ago when I first got to know him.

I remember reading before he became the star of the team, that he was a very good player but had A very bad temper. He would regularly fight with other players and swear, for instance.

Although he was a good player, his team went nowhere. But suddenly, in the mid-1990s, that changed, and the Rockets became a winning team instead of one with a couple of good players but no coordination. This culminated in their success in the 1994 and 1995 NBA championships.

Br. Hakeem used to be a non-practicing Muslim. I and a group of friends once asked him how the transformation to Islam affected his character.

"Before I started practicing my faith, I used to completely rely on myself. When I had done my best, I would be extremely frustrated if I didn't win. It would irritate and anger me. And that was causing me to be bad to others by fighting and swearing," he explained.

"But when I started practicing my faith, I learned that results are not my property. I started doing my best but then I left success and failure to my Creator. Now I was not irritated by failure and was not overinflated by success. That caused me to calm down and improve my behavior towards others on my team and we became a team."

The difference between Br. Hakeem before and after was his understanding of the concept of Tawakul, which is a major concept in the relationship of a believer with his or her Creator. When a believer fully practices Tawakul by putting his or her full trust in Allah, this person realizes that they are not all-powerful, Allah is. Although we all control some variables that Allah has given us in our control, Allah ultimately controls all the other variables known or unknown to us.

Our capacities are limited. Allah's are unlimited. We are responsible for following His command by doing our duty and making a right choice in the world of choices and following them up with action. In this way, good intentions and directions combined with good steps is what we are responsible for. And as Muslims, we want to do our best in that area. But results, positive or negative, are not always in our control. They are dependent upon the laws and prophecies which Allah has put in place and on His Will.

Sometimes we think that something is good for us and actually it is bad for us. And sometimes we feel that something is bad for us while actually it is the other way around. So the limit of human knowledge explains the limits of our not only control, but our responsibility as well. That is why we do our part and leave things in terms of results to God.

Adopting the belief and practice of Tawakul has two benefits for us. First, knowing that our responsibility for what happens is limited is very comforting. Those who do not realize the limits of human responsibility normally transgress on others' rights by forcing their will on them through verbal or physical violence or they may get depressed and lose their mind or hurt themselves. So it is the Mercy of Allah that He has told us that our responsibility is limited. And that is the meaning of "On no soul does Allah place a burden greater than it can bear" (Quran 2: 286) as well as the understanding of individual responsibility.

The second consequence of Tawakul is that it invites us to connect to a powerful Ally Who is no one but the Lord Himself. The more we rely on Him, the greater the chances that we will try to please Him by following the guidance He has given us, which in turn will lead to goodness in this world and success in the Hereafter.

The third consequence of Tawakul is what Br. Hakeem learned by observing himself. By fully trusting in Allah and relying on Him, we are not depressed by what we have lost or intoxicated by our success (Quran 57:22-23). We know that all things are in Allah's hands. And that makes us not only humbler but more submissive to God, thus better believers.

No post ratings
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#441 [Permalink] Posted on 13th December 2015 17:09
If You Have A Lemon Make A Lemonade.

Julaybib; wrote:
Salaam's.

After spending a lifetime studying people and their hidden reserves of power, the great psychologist,
Alfred Adler, declared that one of the wonder-filled characteristics of human beings is "their power to
turn a minus into a plus."

Here is an interesting and stimulating story of a woman I know who did just that. Her name is Thelma
Thompson, and she lives at 100 Morningside Drive, New York City. "During the war," she said, as she
told me of her experience, "during the war, my husband was stationed at an Army training camp near
the Mojave Desert, in New Mexico.

I went to live there in order to be near him. I hated the place. I
loathed it. I had never before been so miserable. My husband was ordered out on maneuvers in the
Mojave Desert, and I was left in a tiny shack alone. The heat was unbearable-125 degrees in the shade
of a cactus. Not a soul to talk to but Mexicans and Indians, and they couldn't speak English. The wind
blew incessantly, and all the food I ate, and the very air I breathed, were filled with sand, sand, sand!

"I was so utterly wretched, so sorry for myself, that I wrote to my parents. I told them I was giving up
and coming back home. I said I couldn't stand it one minute longer. I would rather be in jail! My father
answered my letter with just two lines-two lines that will always sing in my memory-two lines that
completely altered my life:
Two men looked out from prison bars,
One saw the mud, the other saw stars.

"I read those two lines over and over. I was ashamed of myself. I made up my mind I would find out
what was good in my present situation. I would look for the stars.

"I made friends with the natives, and their reaction amazed me. When I showed interest in their
weaving and pottery, they gave me presents of their favourite pieces which they had refused to sell to
tourists. I studied the fascinating forms of the cactus and the yuccas and the Joshua trees. I learned
about prairie dogs, watched for the desert sunsets, and hunted for seashells that had been left there
millions of years ago when the sands of the desert had been an ocean floor.

"What brought about this astonishing change in me? The Mojave Desert hadn't changed. The Indians
hadn't changed. But I had. I had changed my attitude of mind. And by doing so, I transformed a
wretched experience into the most exciting adventure of my life......."

*Source..."How To Stop Worrying And Start Living By Dale Carnegie."

If you have read Dont To Be Sad, by Aidh Al Qarni, you will find the above book not only an excellent companion to it. You also will find that "Dont Be Sad" is influenced by the above book " How To Stop Worrying And Start Living".

Similarly the work of the late late Egyptian scholar Shaykh Muhammad al Ghazali رضي الله عنه, called "Relax dont Worry Be Happy" is a commentary from an Islamic perspective of " How Stop Worrying and Start Living" , He used extracts from Carnegies book to show how they mirror Islamic principles.

No post ratings