Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Makkah News and Updates

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.4% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
omer, Taqwah, Taalibah, rizmalek, super-glue, Seifeddine-M, bint Mohammed, member2, sweetmuslimahk1, abu mohammed, Yasin, Heather2727, Naqshband66, ummi taalib, mo_isaq, Acacia, Desi tadka, umar123, habeeba, Jinn, Arslan., ibn Ismail, najimuddin, ALIF, al-adnan, abuzayd2k, Moonlight, Mohammed8, ssaad, tanveerzakee, sharjan8643, opc121177
224 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#151 [Permalink] Posted on 12th September 2011 13:04
A record Haj season expected

8 September 2011

RIYADH — A record number of pilgrims are expected to perform Haj this year, the National Committee for Haj and Umrah said.

The committee based its prediction after a record five million people performed Umrah during the just-ended season. The Kingdom, according to statistics, issued over 4.8 million Umrah visas this season, registering an increase of about a million pilgrims.

Saad Bin Jameel Al-Qurashi, Chairman of the National Haj Committee at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Makkah, was quoted by Asharq Al-Awsat Arabic daily as saying that the record Umrah season this year belied earlier predictions of a drop in the number of pilgrims owing to the political unrest in several Arab countries. “The opposite has happened,” he said.

On the basis of the year’s Umrah season, he said, the Haj season is expected to reach the highest in terms of number of pilgrims indicating that the Kingdom usually receives 1.7 million pilgrims from outside the country. The limited area in Mina may make it difficult for the authorities concern to issue more Haj visas, he said.

According to a Reuters report, Al-Qurashi said, the Kingdom’ s revenues from Haj and Umrah range between $10 to 12 billion.

According to the report, a pilgrim spends SR4,600 on an average.

He said the Umrah and Haj season secures 14,000 seasonal job opportunities for the Saudi job seekers.

Pilgrims may face a lot of problems at airports as was seen during the Umrah season, he warned.

The General Authority of Civil Aviation has said it would impose strict financial penalties on airlines including Saudia because some of their flights were delayed and created chaos at Jeddah airport.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20110908108493

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#152 [Permalink] Posted on 13th September 2011 21:41
Development should go beyond buildings

Haram Area 20 July 2011

By P.K. ABDUL GHAFOUR | ARAB NEWS

Published: Sep 12, 2011 22:53 Updated: Sep 12, 2011 22:53

JEDDAH: A massive SR100 billion development project will be carried out in Makkah within the next six years in order to make it a world-class city with advanced facilities and extend better services to the millions of pilgrims who come to the city.

Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal emphasized that the project should go beyond the construction of buildings, giving greater importance to hospitality to be extended to the guests of God.

“This is a unique project envisioned by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah. Makkah has never seen such a project before,” said Prince Khaled, adding that it is designed to facilitate the life and movement of pilgrims in the city.

“Awareness programs will be carried out to encourage Makkawis to provide pilgrims with Islamic hospitality, involving men, women and children of the city,” he said.

“This is the project of Saudi man. If we succeed in implementing it as planned, it would help us provide integrated services, covering reception, housing, food, transportation, health and security,” the governor said and urged officials to complete the project in a professional manner. He said studies should be completed by the beginning of next year to start implementing the project.

Prince Khaled presided over a meeting of the Makkah & Mashair Development Authority (MMDA) and reviewed the plans for the development of Makkah and increase space in the holy sites of Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifa to accommodate more pilgrims.

The new Makkah development project, which is named after King Abdullah, will bring about comprehensive and harmonious development of the city, the governor said, adding that it would make pilgrims’ stay in the city much comfortable.

He said the first phase of the project would be completed within four years with the completion of the latest expansion of the Grand Mosque.

Four ring roads will also be completed to ease traffic in the city, while some underdeveloped districts will be developed during this period.

“It is a great honor for Saudi Arabia and its people to host the millions of pilgrims who come for Haj and Umrah every year. It is also a big responsibility and trust. We have to shoulder this responsibility with utmost sincerity. The world is looking at us as a symbol of Islam and we should rise up to these expectations. We should represent Islam in the best form upholding its lofty moral values,” the prince said.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article500893.ece

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#153 [Permalink] Posted on 14th September 2011 20:09
Notice to Umrah pilgrims

''Umrah pilgrims must leave before visas expire''

14th September 2011

RIYADH – All Umrah pilgrims should leave the Kingdom before the expiry of their visas to avoid penalties, said a statement issued by the Directorate General of Passports Tuesday.

Anyone who stays in the country beyond the date set on the visa to work or for any other purpose will be punished, it said.

The statement also warned those who give shelter and/or provide transportation to overstayers will be fined, which will be increased according to the number of violations.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20110914108856

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#154 [Permalink] Posted on 14th September 2011 20:10
INDIA: Haj quota delay puts travel plans in jeopardy

More than 600 private tour operators and pilgrims in a fix

September 13, 2011

Mumbai: With the Haj pilgrimage to Makkah fast approaching, over 600 private tour operators and thousands of prospective pilgrims are in a fix as the federal government has not yet finalised the Haj quota for them.

The Indian Haj Umrah Association (IHUA) and Khaddaml Hujjah Foundation (KHF), two organisations which take up issues of pilgrims, said the government's delay has got both pilgrims and tour operators extremely worried and put their travel plans in jeopardy.

"We are very upset with the Ministry of External Affairs headed by S.M. Krishna since the final quota has not been released despite application files being submitted before the July 15 deadline," said KHF chief A.M. Athar.

"This press conference is our desperate attempt to express our concerns," he said Monday. He also alleged that the authorities were not releasing the quota in order to sell them in the black market.

IHUA President A.R.Milli said that the Haj season has virtually started and yet there was no move by the centre to release the quota for private tour operators.

This year, Saudi Arabia allocated a quota of 172,540 pilgrims from India. While around 125,000 will go to perform Haj through the Haj Committee of India, under the aegis of central government through the Ministry of External Affairs, the rest of the pilgrims will travel through private tour operators.

"While the Haj committee charges around Rs 125,000 (Dh9,732), we charge up to Rs 200,000 per head for the entire pilgrimage," said Athar. He added that the delay in the release of the quota will result in an hike in air fares which would be borne by the pilgrims, apart from expenses incurred for local travel and accommodation in Saudi Arabia.

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/india...pardy-1.865617

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#155 [Permalink] Posted on 14th September 2011 20:13
Kerala India: First Haj flight to leave from Karipur on September 29

MALAPPURAM, September 14, 2011

The first Haj flight from the State will leave Calicut International Airport, Karipur, on September 29.

Saudi Arabian Airlines will operate 27 flights to carry 8,100 pilgrims under government supervision from Kerala, Lakshadweep, and Mahe till October 15.

Karipur is the embarkation point for the pilgrims from Kerala, Lakshadweep, and Mahe.

State Haj Committee chairman P.T.A. Rahim, MLA, said the inaugural flight would take off from Karipur at 10.45 a.m. with 300 pilgrims. The pilgrims would be flown to Medina, and their return would be from Jeddah.

The committee, on Tuesday, released the pilgrim manifests indicating the date of journey for the pilgrims. Mr. Rahim said the pilgrims should ensure their journey date from the Haj committee website.

The State Haj camp will open at Haj House near the Karipur airport on September 25.

The first batch of pilgrims should reach the camp by 4 p.m. on September 28. “The pilgrims should reach the camp at least 18 hours before the departure of the flight,” Mr. Rahim said.

There will be two flights on the first day. Apart from the 10.45 a.m. flight, Saudi Arabian Airlines will operate another flight at 1.30 p.m.

Mr. Rahim said that as per the deal signed with Saudi Arabian Airlines, the airline would have to pay damages for any delay beyond four hours.

Last year, flight delay had caused some embarrassment for the Haj committee.

As many as 30 government officials have been deputed for Haj duty at the camp. Twenty volunteers from the State will accompany the 8,000-odd pilgrims.

The Haj committee, meanwhile, continued giving training to pilgrims from across the State.

Training at 20 places

Training is being given in 20 places across the State. Minister in charge of Haj Pilgrimage P.K. Kunhalikutty inaugurated the training at Haj House on September 3. The last training camp will be held in Thiruvananthapuram on September 20. The Haj camp at Karipur will be held under the direct supervision of the Haj committee that has been doing so for the past four years.

“As the Haj committee is directly managing the camp, and everything is computerised, there will not be any requirement of a large number of personnel,” Mr. Rahim said. Each Haj committee member has been given charge of different departments.

H. Muzammil will be in charge of volunteers, Uwais Haji will be in charge of food supply, and Mohammedunni Haji, MLA, will be in charge of light and sound.

The Haj cell under the Haj committee will take care of the pilgrims' documents. “We need volunteers mainly to manage food and luggage,” Mr. Rahim said.

The Saudi Arabian government did not increase the pilgrim quota from India this year as the latter had not submitted its latest population figures.

Till last year, India used to enjoy the status of having the second largest Muslim population in the world.

This year, Pakistan overtook India in the number of pilgrims being sent for Haj, as India was given a Haj quota based on its old population figures.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/...cle2450624.ece

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#156 [Permalink] Posted on 15th September 2011 14:03
Last batch of Umrah visitors all set for departure

15 September 2011

JEDDAH - About 45,000 remaining Umrah visitors are all set to depart for their respective homelands, said Dr. Isa Rawwas, Deputy Minister of Haj for Umrah Affairs.

He said the number of people staying beyond their visa time limit for doing work illegally has considerably reduced due to strict measures taken by the ministry in coordination with relevant agencies.

Dr Rawwas appreciated the outstanding performance of Umrah companies, adding that their commitment to flight times and luggage weight, and their cooperation with other regulatory procedures of the ministry contributed to facilitating the process of the departure of Umrah pilgrims.This year Umrah visitors increased by 30 percent, compared to last year.

www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20110915108919
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#157 [Permalink] Posted on 15th September 2011 14:05
Over-priced annual pilgrimage

Aerial view of Mina

15 September 2011

Haj is the most rewarding spiritual journey anyone can embark on. Its the fifth pillar of Islam and is obligatory for every Muslim, who is physically and financially capable, to perform Haj once in a lifetime. Pilgrims from all around the world, several of whom face hardships and obstacles, travel to Makkah for this enriching experience.

One obstacle that pilgrims have recently started facing in undertaking the spiritual journey is the high fees of several organized Haj groups and camps, making it difficult for Muslims to afford performing Haj.

“My wife and I had been dreaming of performing Hajj for years, but it was too expensive,” said Sayed Omar, an Egyptian truck driver in Jeddah.

“We finally found a group that charged us SR2,200 each but we did not have enough savings. I had to sell my wife’s gold bracelets so we could enroll in this Haj camp. I promised to make it up to her and buy her new gold bracelets in the future.”

One luxurious Haj camp charged an alarming amount of SR12,500 per person last year. They provided all sorts of amenities such as 5-star hotel reservations in Makkah, air conditioned tents in Mina, 3 gourmet meals a day with snacks in between, and special educational sessions.

The director of this extravagant Haj camp said, “We have noticeably reduced our fees this year by letting go of some of the unnecessary luxuries we offered our guests in the past. We have decreased the number of nights that pilgrims will be staying at hotels in Makkah and cancelled the purchase of exquisite desserts and expensive chocolates.”

The director of another Haj camp, Muhammad Hadi, blames their high fees on the greed of some private companies that conduct Haj operations.
“Every year I am compelled to raise my prices and now we are forced to charge SR9,400 per person due to the unreasonably high costs of renting rooms and tents, and reserving buses for transportation,” said Hadi. He added that renting just one large bus to transport pilgrims for five days of Hajj costs SR40,000.

This year, Haj camps will take measures to reduce their prices in response to repeated complaints from the public and will try their best to make the spiritual journey cheaper.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20110915108916

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#158 [Permalink] Posted on 15th September 2011 14:38
Pickpocketing in Makkah

15 September 2011

By JAWAID ALI, RIYADH

Probably nobody would ever think of being pickpocketed in a supermarket close to the Haram in Makkah but this is what happened to me on Thursday (Sept. 8).

Immediately after Duhr prayers, I visited Bin Dawood Supermarket in Makkah Towers to buy some grocery items. There were large queues in front of each cash counter. I stood at Counter 2 and was behind some 9-10 people. With only two people ahead of me, I took out my wallet from the side pocket of my shirt for a ten-riyal bill to pay and kept back the wallet in the same pocket. After my turn came, the cashier returned me the balance and I tried to take out my wallet again but by that time it had vanished. Also gone was a boy of 14 -15 years of age who was standing just behind me. The entire episode happened within 4-5 minutes.

My wallet contained my iqama, driving license, health insurance card, house key, money exceeding SR1,000 and some other papers.

I don't want to go into the details of my visit to Ajyad police station and the mental agony I suffered with no money and no documents left in my person (I had come from Riyadh to perform Umrah).

I would only request the management of busy supermarkets to run a CCTV camera on a nonstop basis. I have noticed that there are exit gates in some stores including Bin Dawood. This helps the criminals to leave the place without anyone noticing it. Such exit gates should be closed too.

arabnews.com/opinion/letters/article500809.ece
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#159 [Permalink] Posted on 15th September 2011 21:31
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#160 [Permalink] Posted on 18th September 2011 12:11
Ministry, investors to discuss transportation projects in Holy Sites

17 September 2011

JEDDAH – Makkah Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MCCI) will host next Tuesday Dr. Jabarah Bin Eid Al-Suraisiry, the Minister of Transport, who will talk on topics related to transportation in Makkah. The meeting will be held at Makkah Clock Tower and attended by 350 investors and businessmen.

Mazin Bin Fuad Tunisi, Acting Chairman of MCCI, said King Abdullah focuses on such meetings to make Makkah a global model city where pilgrims, Umrah performers and visitors are provided with the best services.

The meeting will discuss seven main topics, the most important of which are current and future projects for Makkah region and their role in improving transportation services in the Kingdom and Makkah in particular.

Tunisi said he will discuss different issues with businessmen including sea and land transport, limousine, rental cars, local transportation and railway transportation and how businessmen can benefit from such railway transportation services.

Tunisi also said that the meeting will discuss ongoing projects and Al-Haramain Train project, worth SR42 billion with a total capacity of carrying 20 million passengers every year.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20110917109019

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#161 [Permalink] Posted on 18th September 2011 12:12
Consumers raise doubts over Zamzam water sold on streets

18 September 2011

JEDDAH - Customers are skeptical about Zamzam water sold on the street because of its taste, which vendors attribute to the water being improperly stored and exposed to the sun.

Salem Al-Ghamdi, a customer, said that whenever he buys Zamzam water from street vendors, its taste always differs. The taste also changes over time, which led him to use Zamzam water bought from street vendors in no more than two to three days.

Al-Ghamdi feels perplexed by the ambiguity engulfing the whole process; he said he tried to learn more about the matter, but all available information shows that the taste of Zamzam water never changes.

Al-Ghamdi appealed to authorities to tighten their control over the vendors.
Doubts about the vendors' Zamzam water led another man to only get it at the original source; he said the taste of that water does not change.

Ali, another consumer, said he bought a gallon of what was supposed to be Zamzam water from a vendor on Makkah-Jeddah Expressway, but when he drank it three days later, he discovered that it was nothing but normal drinking water.

Vendors said they do not deceive customers and added that they fear Allah.
"We trade in blessed water so how can we deceive our customers," a vendor asked.

Suliman Saleh Al-Muhameed, Director of the Control Department at the Ministry of Commerce, said that while it is illegal to sell Zamzam water on the street, most vendors are honest about what they sell because they trade in sacred water.

He said officials from his organization and the Jeddah Mayoralty, who confiscate Zamazm water sold by street vendors, have clear instructions from the Makkah Emirate to combat sales of Zamzam water on streets and near gas stations.

Because selling Zamzam water on the street is illegal, officials never take samples to check its purity or determine if it really is Zamzam water, he added.

www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20110918109081
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#162 [Permalink] Posted on 18th September 2011 20:51

Can anyone guess where this is?

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#163 [Permalink] Posted on 19th September 2011 10:15
Sri Lanka’s pilgrim quota increased

The Jami-ul-Alfar Mosque in Pettah, built in 1909, is one of the oldest mosques in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

By MD RASOOLDEEN | ARAB NEWS

Published: Sep 18, 2011 23:54 Updated: Sep 18, 2011 23:54

RIYADH: Saudi authorities have raised Sri Lanka's quota for the upcoming Haj to 3,800 pilgrims, which is an increase of 1,000 over the allotted number, the country's new consul general in Jeddah Adam Bawa Uthumalebbe told Arab News on Saturday.

Uthumalebbe, who succeeded Sabarullah Khan, assumed duties at the Jeddah consulate last week. Prior to his posting in the Kingdom, Uthumalebbe was the chairman of Water Supply and Drainage Board in Colombo.

“I have come to the consulate at a time full of excitement because of the arrival of Haj pilgrims,” Uthumalebbe said. He pledged that he would do his best to serve all Sri Lankans alike.

At a function held in honor of him in Jeddah on Friday, Uthumalebbe said he was prepared to take up any challenges to lift the image of his motherland and serve his countrymen irrespective of their religion and positions they hold in the Kingdom.

Speaking from Colombo, senior minister in charge of Sri Lankan Haj operations Abdul Hameed Mohamed Fowzie told Arab News that this year first timers would be given preference in the pilgrims’ selection process.

“We have also made an appeal to the concerned parties to get an additional quota of pilgrims this year. We might consider the other applicants only if there is a positive response from the Saudi government,” the minister said, adding that the government has already received applications from more than 5,000 prospective pilgrims.

Around seven percent of the country's 20.2 million inhabitants are Muslim.

The first batch of Sri Lankan pilgrims will arrive in the Kingdom on Oct. 6.

Saudi Arabian Airlines and Sri Lankan Airlines will ferry the pilgrims. “Other airlines will be considered as and when a need arises,” the minister said.

The minister said his government had formed two teams in Makkah and Madinah to assist the pilgrims.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article503514.ece
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#164 [Permalink] Posted on 19th September 2011 14:18
Four non-Muslims caught on pilgrim visa in Saudi

Monday, September 19, 2011

Saudi Arabia's religious police arrested four Nigerian men for exceeding the limit of the visa they had obtained as pilgrims to Makkah although they are not Muslims, a newspaper in the Gulf Kingdom reported on Monday.

Members of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice seized the four while they were washing cars in the western holy city at the time of evening prayers, Sabq Arabic language daily said.

"When they asked the four men why they are not praying, they said they are Christians...their passports showed they had obtained an Umra (mini pilgrimage) visa although they are not Muslims...the four were also overstaying in the country," the paper said.

www.emirates247.com/news/regi...09-19-1.419406
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#165 [Permalink] Posted on 19th September 2011 14:27
14,000 Kuwait applicants to perform Haj

Fatma Mosque, Kuwait

September 19, 2011

Manama: Kuwait will send 14,000 people to perform Haj (pilgrimage) this year, a Kuwaiti official has said.

An agreement on the quota was reached with the Saudi authorities overseeing the organisation of the fifth pillar of Islam held in Makkah and its immediate surroundings. Haj, which follows a lunar calendar, this year will be in the first week of November.

According to Mutlaq Al Garrawi, the assistant undersecretary of the Ministry of Endowments and Islamic Affairs for external relations and pilgrimage affairs, 1,250 Bidoon (stateless Arabs) living in Kuwait will perform pilgrimage this year.

The figure is the same as in 2010.

Al Garrawi said that the early approval by the Saudi authorities of the number of Kuwaitis who could perform Haj gives ample time to Kuwaiti pilgrimage operators to finalise their contracts and arrangements, Kuwait News Agency (Kuna) reported.

The official has visited 120 buildings and 50 hotels to check their readiness to offer services and facilities for the would-be pilgrims during their stay.

Accommodation inspected

Inspection of the accommodation and facilities for the pilgrimage usually takes place at least one month before the Haj to ensure their standards.

Basic required conditions include separating the living place into one section for men and another for women, preparing properly equipped medical clinics and kitchens that conform to health regulations and civil defense requirements, he said.

Every Muslim who is physically and financially capable must perform Haj at least once in a lifetime.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/kuwait...m-haj-1.869669

No post ratings

Jump to page: