Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Is Wudhu Required for a Quran Application? (Android and iPhone Quran Apps)

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
sweetmuslimahk1, Yasin, samah, abu mohammed
5 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
Qatar, Doha
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd May 2011 08:14

Having read the "Islamic Android Apps" post, I was confused when I read, Wudhu is required to use the Quran Apps, untill I got all the way into Page 5, and all my questions were answered.

Since I thought almost all iPhone users wont make it to page 5, the answer to the above question of Wudhu might not be able to benefit the masses in the middle of a thread, so I though it deserves its own thread to help google searches find this answer more easily.

Jazakallah to Abu Mohammed for posting this, for all of us to learn from.

TAKEN FROM ABU MOHAMMED

I had asked a Mufti if Wudhu was needed to touch a digital Quran screen. The first answer was NO. I then found other eveidences which I forwarded to the same Mufti, who then changed his view and agreed that wudhu is needed to touch a digital Quran.

Below is an old email I sent to someone, it contains the whole ruling.

I have asked the Mufti again regarding having Wudhu for touching the screen and I also gave him additional details to look into regarding this. I was originaly told that it was pixels and data, but there is a difference of opinion. Therefore it is better to have Wudhu when touching the Words of The Quran

He has replied

"Based on below, it would not be permissible to touch the screen without wudu if the verses would be touched. Rather use the track pad or otherwise."

This was my original Question with more evidence.

Salaam, I have asked you this question before but I need a refresh.

I understand that I do not need Wudhu to handle my mobile phone / digital quran when the Quran is installed on it.

But do I need Wudhu to touch the Screen when the verses of the Quran appear on it?. With most phones today, they are touch screen, hence the screen needs to be touched.

Below is something similar to what I am asking, but I am still a little confused.

Please try to give a detailed answer, Shukran.

I recently downloaded the Quran application onto my iPhone and have the entire Qur’an saved both in audio and digital forms. I have two questions: Firstly, do I need to have Wudu in order to touch my iPhone, or is wudu required only when the app is open? Secondly, would it be impermissible to take the phone to the lavatory given that the entire Qur’an is stored in digital form on its memory?

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

1) The position of all four Sunni schools of Islamic law is that it is unlawful (haram) to touch any part of a textual copy of the Qur’an (mushaf) without being in a state of minor ritual purity (wudu), as a way of honouring the book of Allah. The majority of the Imams of Qur’anic exegesis (mufassirun) state that the verses: “It is surely the Noble Qur’an, (recorded already) in a protected book (i.e. the Preserved Tablet) that is not touched except by the purified ones (the angels). A revelation from the Lord of the worlds” (Qur’an: 56/77-80) refers also to physically touching the Qur’an. Moreover, Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him) relates in his Al-Muwatta that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) wrote a letter to Amr ibn Hazm (Allah be pleased with him), in which he said, “None should touch the Qur’an except one who is in a state of purity.” (Al-Muwatta no: 534)

Apart from the Mushaf, if a complete verse of the Qur’an is written or inscribed on something else such as a wall, piece of paper, slate or coin and by extension, if the Qur’an is stored electronically in a digital format on an iPhone, PC or some other device, since it can not be classed a Mushaf, there are two opinions of classical Hanafi jurists (fuqaha) regarding its ruling:

Some jurists are of the view that in addition to the Mushaf itself, it is not permitted to touch an item on which a complete verse of the Qur’an is inscribed. It is stated in Maraqi al-Falah:

“Likewise Wudu is mandatory in order to touch a Mushaf, and even (to touch) a verse inscribed on a coin or wall due to the statement of Allah Most High, “it is not touched except by the purified ones” whether (to touch) the inscribed part or the blank space. Some of our (Hanafi) scholars, however, stated that what is prohibitively disliked for the ritually impure is to touch the actual area where the text is written and not the blank space because one is not touching the Qur’an literally. The correct position is that touching the blank space is akin to touching the text itself (in that both are not permitted).” (See: Maraqi al-Falah with the commentary of Tahtawi P: 82)

Acknowledging that some Hanafi jurists limit the prohibition of touching to the actual area where the Qur’anic text is inscribed, Imam Shurunbulali in the above passage explains that the correct position is that if a verse is written on anything besides the Mushaf, on a slate for example, then not only is it prohibited to touch that part of the slate where the verse is inscribed but the whole slate itself. Based on this, if the Qur’an application is activated and the verses appear on the screen of an iPhone, PC or other electronic devices, it is not permitted to touch the device without Wudu.

The second opinion within the Hanafi School is that if Qur’anic verses are inscribed on something other than a Mushaf, then it is only impermissible to touch that part of the item where the verses are inscribed and not the whole item. Imam Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on him), quoting Halabi and Al-Bahr al-Ra’iq, states:

“... It is not unlawful in other than a Mushaf (to touch) except the area where the verses are inscribed.” (Radd al-Muhtar ala ‘l-Durr al-Mukhtar 1/173)

This position, chosen by Imams Ibn Abidin, Ibn Nujaym and others, can be acted upon given the need and widespread usage of digital forms of the Qur’an. It is, however, superior and closer to propriety when possible to take precaution and act upon the first position. Based on this, once the verses of the Qur’an appear on the screen, it will not be permitted to touch the area where the actual text appears without Wudu. Touching other parts of the iPhone or device, however, will be permitted.

Note that if the Qur’an application is not activated and hence the verses do not appear on the screen, then it is totally permitted to touch the device including the screen without Wudu.

2) As for taking to the lavatory/toilet a phone which has Qur’anic verses, Hadiths, Prophetic supplications, etc stored on its memory, if the application is not running and the text is not visible on the screen, then it is permitted. However, taking the phone into the lavatory with the text visible on the screen is highly disrespectful and blameworthy. It is stated in Al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya:

“It is (prohibitively) disliked to enter a lavatory with a finger ring on which the name of Allah Most High or some part of the Qur’an is inscribed.” (Al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya 1/50)

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Qatar, Doha
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd May 2011 08:16
Having read the "Islamic Android Apps" post, I was confused when I read, Wudhu is required to use the Quran Apps, untill I got all the way into Page 5, and all my questions were answered.

Since I thought almost all iPhone users wont make it to page 5, the answer to the above question of Wudhu might not be able to benefit the masses in the middle of a thread, so I though it deserves its own thread to help google searches find this answer more easily.

Jazakallah to Abu Mohammed for posting this, for all of us to learn from.

----------------------------------
I had asked a Mufti if Wudhu was needed to touch a digital Quran screen. The first answer was NO. I then found other eveidences which I forwarded to the same Mufti, who then changed his view and agreed that wudhu is needed to touch a digital Quran.

Below is an old email I sent to someone, it contains the whole ruling.

I have asked the Mufti again regarding having Wudhu for touching the screen and I also gave him additional details to look into regarding this. I was originaly told that it was pixels and data, but there is a difference of opinion. Therefore it is better to have Wudhu when touching the Words of The Quran

He has replied

"Based on below, it would not be permissible to touch the screen without wudu if the verses would be touched. Rather use the track pad or otherwise."

This was my original Question with more evidence.

Salaam, I have asked you this question before but I need a refresh.

I understand that I do not need Wudhu to handle my mobile phone / digital quran when the Quran is installed on it.

But do I need Wudhu to touch the Screen when the verses of the Quran appear on it?. With most phones today, they are touch screen, hence the screen needs to be touched.

Below is something similar to what I am asking, but I am still a little confused.

Please try to give a detailed answer, Shukran.

I recently downloaded the Quran application onto my iPhone and have the entire Qur'an saved both in audio and digital forms. I have two questions: Firstly, do I need to have Wudu in order to touch my iPhone, or is wudu required only when the app is open? Secondly, would it be impermissible to take the phone to the lavatory given that the entire Qur'an is stored in digital form on its memory?

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

1) The position of all four Sunni schools of Islamic law is that it is unlawful (haram) to touch any part of a textual copy of the Qur'an (mushaf) without being in a state of minor ritual purity (wudu), as a way of honouring the book of Allah. The majority of the Imams of Qur'anic exegesis (mufassirun) state that the verses: "It is surely the Noble Qur'an, (recorded already) in a protected book (i.e. the Preserved Tablet) that is not touched except by the purified ones (the angels). A revelation from the Lord of the worlds" (Qur'an: 56/77-80) refers also to physically touching the Qur'an. Moreover, Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him) relates in his Al-Muwatta that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) wrote a letter to Amr ibn Hazm (Allah be pleased with him), in which he said, "None should touch the Qur'an except one who is in a state of purity." (Al-Muwatta no: 534)

Apart from the Mushaf, if a complete verse of the Qur'an is written or inscribed on something else such as a wall, piece of paper, slate or coin [m: and by extension, if the Qur'an is stored electronically in a digital format on an iPhone, PC or some other device, since it can not be classed a Mushaf], there are two opinions of classical Hanafi jurists (fuqaha) regarding its ruling:

Some jurists are of the view that in addition to the Mushaf itself, it is not permitted to touch an item on which a complete verse of the Qur'an is inscribed. It is stated in Maraqi al-Falah:

"Likewise Wudu is mandatory in order to touch a Mushaf, and even [to touch] a verse inscribed on a coin or wall due to the statement of Allah Most High, "it is not touched except by the purified ones" whether [to touch] the inscribed part or the blank space. Some of our [Hanafi] scholars, however, stated that what is prohibitively disliked for the ritually impure is to touch the actual area where the text is written and not the blank space because one is not touching the Qur'an literally. The correct position is that touching the blank space is akin to touching the text itself [in that both are not permitted]." (See: (Maraqi al-Falah with the commentary of Tahtawi P: 82)

Acknowledging that some Hanafi jurists limit the prohibition of touching to the actual area where the Qur'anic text is inscribed, Imam Shurunbulali in the above passage explains that the correct position is that if a verse is written on anything besides the Mushaf, on a slate for example, then not only is it prohibited to touch that part of the slate where the verse is inscribed but the whole slate itself. Based on this, if the Qur'an application is activated and the verses appear on the screen of an iPhone, PC or other electronic devices, it is not permitted to touch the device without Wudu.

The second opinion within the Hanafi School is that if Qur'anic verses are inscribed on something other than a Mushaf, then it is only impermissible to touch that part of the item where the verses are inscribed and not the whole item. Imam Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on him), quoting Halabi and Al-Bahr al-Ra'iq, states:

"... It is not unlawful in other than a Mushaf [to touch] except the area where the verses are inscribed." (Radd al-Muhtar ala 'l-Durr al-Mukhtar 1/173)

This position, chosen by Imams Ibn Abidin, Ibn Nujaym and others, can be acted upon given the need and widespread usage of digital forms of the Qur'an. It is, however, superior and closer to propriety when possible to take precaution and act upon the first position. Based on this, once the verses of the Qur'an appear on the screen, it will not be permitted to touch the area where the actual text appears without Wudu. Touching other parts of the iPhone or device, however, will be permitted.

Note that if the Qur'an application is not activated and hence the verses do not appear on the screen, then it is totally permitted to touch the device including the screen without Wudu.

2) As for taking to the lavatory/toilet a phone which has Qur'anic verses, Hadiths, Prophetic supplications, etc stored on its memory, if the application is not running and the text is not visible on the screen, then it is permitted. However, taking the phone into the lavatory with the text visible on the screen is highly disrespectful and blameworthy. It is stated in Al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya:

"It is [prohibitively] disliked to enter a lavatory with a finger ring on which the name of Allah Most High or some part of the Qur'an is inscribed." (Al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya 1/50)

------------------------------------------

Admin Edit: Quote removed as it was causing errors on the page. Hope it's fixed now
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd May 2011 10:41

Yes it is if you are going to touch the writing. See the Post on Islamic Andoid Apps.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd May 2011 10:47

The Page has/had crashed and I couldnt see any of the posts, therefore I answered your Query not realising your Q!

Anyway, I understand you have an Iphone, but the fact that you got so far into looking at the android apps makes me wonder, Do You Still Like The Iphone? We dont need to jailbreak the androids either.

No post ratings
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 27th May 2011 00:39
It's sorted. Apologies for delay - Quotes had to be removed as it's messing up. InshaAllah I'll fix this issue soon
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd June 2015 00:58
Mufti Saeed Palanpuri just mentioned in his majlis that he would prefer people not read the Quran on their mobile...Although that's a different matter altogether. However he did say that the Mushaf is beneath a glass screen and therefore direct contact is not made to the words

Different types of answers from different sources according to their knowledge...always good to know.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd June 2015 01:33
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

A lot of old school ulema are pretty much against reading on mobile phones, they dislike it with a passion, even more it annoys them when you have brothers sitting in the mosque in whatever saff/row and out comes the mobile and they start reading from that. Why not walk a few metres to the front and take a mushaf and read from it rather than your phone?

Plus the barakah that you get from looking into the mushaf and reading, it's not the same whilst reading from your phone. Yes if you have a valid reason other than meer laziness etc then that's different but preference should always be given to the mushaf.

Allah knows best
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 30th June 2015 20:49
From Shaykh A. R Limbada's Facebook page

[Quote]
Question:
Is it necessary to have wudhu when reciting the Quran on a mobile, a tablet, or a computer etc.
----------
Answer:

1, Hazrat mufti Ahmed Khanpuri Saheb damat barakaatuhum says "Yes, it's wajib to have wudhu when holding any such item which portrays the Quran."

This is because the phone turns in to the item which is opened in it, ie a calculator, a camera, a calendar etc so when Quran is opened in it, it becomes a mus'haf and it takes the rulings of a mus'haf. Since it is wajib to have wudhu to touch the mus'haf, it will be wajib to be in the state of wudhu to touch the mobile etc.

This is the fatwa of Darul Uloom Deoband as well.
لا يمسه الا المطهرون
"None should touch it except those who are cleansed"

2, Al fatawa Al Islamiyyah state that while it would not be permissible to touch the screen upon which the letters of Quran appear, it would be ok to hold the gadget in the hand and read without touching the screen.

This can be done by using a stylus pen, or scrolling the pages on the computer screen with a mouse.

They say that the gadget is like a 'ghilafe munfasil' a separate covering.

Ghilafs are of two types; one is the one which is sewn with the mus'haf and it always stays attached to it. The other is seperate from the mus'haf. It is wrapped in the covering, and when one wants to recite the Quran, one takes it out of the covering and puts the covering on one side. This is ghilafe munfasil.

The fuqahaa have said that it is permissible to hold the hold the Quran with ghilafe munfasil even when one does not have wudhu. So the gadget is a totally separate thing, it also holds many other materials in it's memory. Therefore, one may hold it in the hand but one should avoid touching the screen without wudhu.
3, 'Aap ke masaail' states that it would be permissible to touch the screen without wudhu as well. They take the view that the original letters are in the memory. What appears on the screen are not original letters.

Secondly, the the letters are covered by the glass screen, so it would be permissible to touch the screen as well.
Out of the three opinions, the first is 'Ahwat' a cautious one. The second is 'Awsat' the middle one.

NB: Quran is the book of Allah. Allah has called it a noble Quran انه لقران كريم"

It should be treated with nobility, honour and respect. One should be mindful of all the etiquettes mentioned by imam nawawi rahmatullahi alayhi in 'At-tibyaan fi adaabe hamalatil Quran'.

Shaykh Zakaria rahmatullahi alayhi has also quoted them in 'Virtues of the Quran'

To derive maximum benefit from tilawat, one should perform wudhu, apply some perfume, pray 2 rakat Salah, sit facing the qibla, recite with total concentration that these are the words of Allah which I am reciting.

One should recite with tajweed, pronouncing every letter correctly, stretching where a letter needs to be stretched, pausing where pause is recommended.

Where jannat is mentioned, ask Allah for jannat, where jahannam is mentioned, seek Allah's protection from it's azaab.
One should Recite with a nice tune and try to cry while reciting.
One should not put the mus'haf on the floor, one should not stretch legs towards a mus'haf.

When completing tilawat, one should say "sadaqallahul azeem, subhanakallahuma wa bi hamdika ash'hadu an la ilaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atoobu ilayka"
One should kiss the mus'haf and place it on a respectable high place.
May Allah give us the ability to honour the Quran and to derive maximum benefit from tilawat. Ameen[/quote]
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 30th June 2015 22:43
Always best to be cautious and have wudhu at all times because it's also the second most hated person by the Shaitan, the first most hated is our beloved prophet Muhammad (saw).

However, the principal of Darul Uloom Deoband, Mufti Saeed Ahmed Palanpuri, says that the Quran on a phone is behind a glass screen and doesn't require wudhu. Although he would prefer wudhu and a proper Quran.

Personally, I'll opt for those fatawa that does recommend wudhu. Simply because a similar ruling states that one can not touch the Quran with gloves on, but if those gloves are taken off and then used to touch the Quran, then that is permitted as the glove is no longer part of the hand. Similarly, when the phone is used as a Quran, does the phone not become the Quran?Just my unqualified opinion.
+1 -0Like x 1