Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

badr

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2016 14:15
salaam

I was watching the Omar رضي الله عنه series ( life of omar ) and one of the sahabah they portray is abu huzaifa رضي الله عنه. he is not someone I heard of much despite according to the program him being one of the earliest muslims, why is this? or does he go by another name perhaps which we may know him by?

also i read the he got emotional after seeing his father utbah bin rabieeah killed and questioned rasoolullah (saw) as why his uncles and family members where spared but not the others. is this true and if so why. alot of the mushriks like ummaya bin khalaf and utbah himself didnt actually want to fight just like al abbas رضي الله عنه and other hashimi mushriks at the time so why did rasoolullah (saw) save his own, there must be more to it as he is not one to do favours for his family only as we all know the famous hadith about if faatima رضي الله عنه was to steal he will apply the hadood on her too.

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2016 16:49
Gulf News

Dubai: After more than a week since the beginning of Ramadan and the start of the TV show "Omar", depicting the life story of the second Caliph of Islam, the show is still stirring up controversy with new advice from scholars in Dubai. 

The Department of Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities (DIACA) of Dubai had advised people to avoid watching the TV series aired on MBC, Qatari TV and a number of other channels. The DIACA statement stated that boycotting the controversial TV series would discourage such a production that was tagged "unsatisfactory" and disrespectful to the companions of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH.) Omar was one of the closest companions of the Prophet. 

The statement, which was reported by Arabic media, said that it is known that the Caliph Omar is a symbol of Islam's great and noble companions, and that they all have a special status and a degree of holiness and great reverence to Muslims, and their depiction is a kind of provocation to Muslims' feelings. 

The depiction of the companions, the statement indicated, lacks accuracy of representation, as it is very hard to represent such great figures of Islam, and the viewers, the statement said, might be led to believe that this is how they were, which as they stated, is a degradation of their status and their role in transmitting the message of God. 

Gulf News asked renowned lslamic scholar Shaikh Dr Ahmad Al Kubaisi about the issue, and he said: "I do not think that showing the Sahaba......

....However he said, it was a matter of taste and respect to these figures and he thinks it is distasteful to depict them. 

"I have seen an episode and the actor depicting Omar Bin Al Khattab, has no resemblance to him in appearance or character. Omar was truly one of a kind, and no one could ever capture him accurately." 

[slightly edited to remove the scholars opinion diverting away from the excellent message above]
Posted via the Muftisays Android App
+1 -0Like x 1
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2016 16:53
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

sorry we cannot treat a TV programme as a source of information. if you can provide books or scholars works on history then inshaallah attention will be given it.

I recommend everyone to avoid tarnishing the image of Umar Ibn Khattab by watching such TV programmes as you will always picture the actors when hearing or reading about the great Khaleefah which even Shaytaan physically avoided crossing paths with.
+3 -0Like x 2Agree x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2016 17:16
I was hoping the discussion wouldnt turn towards the actual program lol. its pretty old i think it was made in 2013 i saw it then i was just watching it again yesterday. I personally think in todays day and age unforutnatly most muslims wont pick up a book or listen to a lecture about seerah and sahabah so this may be the only way to get to them. also i think its good they had the people playing the sahaba not looking anything like how they really did. reason being despite having watched it if you mention any of the sahaba to me the images of the people in omar series do not come to mind. umar رضي الله عنه was tall big and bald but guy playing him had full hair, abu bakr رضي الله عنه was thin and sunked eyes but the guy playing him was not same with Ali رضي الله عنه. overall i was happy with the program but there was few things i disliked
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2016 17:23
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post
I'm sorry I promise my message was not directed at you. it was for the benefit of any reader who might read your post and decide to watch it themselves. that's all
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2016 17:25
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post
also, others who watch will not have the knowledge you do. they will picture that and many already admit they picture that. that's the biggest damage which doesn't go.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2016 17:31
I agree with Maulana.

I can still picture the actors that played Hazrat Bilal and Hazrat Hamzah (May Allah be pleased with them) in the movie, "The Message" and it is really annoying. This was from back in the 80's.
+0 -0Agree x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 11th August 2016 19:20
well i cant disagree or argue with what you have said it is definetly better to avoid it but we have to accept muslims today lack desire to learn about these great people. shaykh yasir qadhi and imam anwar awlaki رضي الله عنه have done detailed lectures on seerah and the khulafaa, i remember shaykh riyadul haq was along time ago doing a series off talks on sahabah but whenever i tell people to listento them they say naa its too long.

as for the main reason i started this thread, was there a sahabi called abu huzaifa? son of utbah bin rabeeh? also abu jundal and abdullah who were both sons of amr bin suhail. i accept omar series is not a creditable source but in it these are early muslims who even became muslims before umar رضي الله عنه and hamza رضي الله عنه yet i never heard these names. i know its not possible to learn every sahaba name but i find it embarassisng i dont know names of all the early makkan ones. are you aware of these personalties? i cant see omar series making up fake sahaba.

i typed abu huzaifa but again i only found wikipedia which is not exactly reliabe but it says he was son of utbah and in the battle of badr he in an emotional outburst said why is rasoolullah (saw) sparing his uncles yet makes us kill our fathers, brothers and sons. it did say he immediately made taubah and died with his adopted son salim fighting against musailama al kazzab. if there is anyone who is good with their history or know their sahaba can you please give me some insight on these personalities.

PS if you thinks my posts may lead people to watch omar series out of curiosty then feel free to delete thread or were i made reference to it. i only mentioned it as thats the only place iv heard of the names i mentioned
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 12th August 2016 13:48
That's exactly the issue..

Quote:
i remember shaykh riyadul haq was along time ago doing a series off talks on sahabah...[/quote]

When Seerah is provided in a book or speech by a scholar, context and meanings are explained. When it's reenacted they won't pause to explain anything and it'll cause more confusion that anything else.

[quote] ...but whenever i tell people to listento them they say naa its too long.

The series according to wikpedia is 31 episodes @ 45 mins each.. that's 1395 minutes (23 hours and 15 minutes).
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 12th August 2016 19:50
well thats the state of us today. tarawih salah is 1hr on average if imam goes over by 5 mins we moan but we can sit and watch 90mins of football and get even more happier if it goes to extra time.
+2 -0Like x 2Agree x 2
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 14th August 2016 15:59
As salam alaykum

According to hikayate sahaba hazrat umar r.a. was fortieth among the sahaba to accept Islam. Also according to the same source hazrat Abu jundal r.a. (along with hazrat Abu baseer r.a.) died shortly after sulah hudaibiyah in the wilderness by the sea in exile because the mushrikin would not let him migrate to madinah under the terms of the treaty of hudaibiyah.
+2 -0Like x 1