Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

The Halafi Onslaught

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 9th September 2015 16:56
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 9th September 2015 16:58
3.8 fom Forum Rules - A new topic which contains only a single clickable link to another site will either be reported or deleted. To avoid this auth check, paste the article or data first and place a link to its source at the end or at the top. From forum rules
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 9th September 2015 16:58
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Quote:
Translated by Ismaeel Nakhuda

Translator’s Preface

The manner in which Salafism is being promoted in the West is a cause for concern. The Salafi of the past was hell bent on going for the jugular in promoting his views and deriding Hanafis. However, the Salafi of today, far from being brash as was his predecessor, has adopted a strange methodology in promoting his views.

The Salafi of today operates with a cloak of respect under the guise of being Hanafi while subtly and gradually promoting his views against the four imams, taqlid, the Ash‘ari and Maturidi schools, dar al-‘ulums, the ‘ulama and the akabir. Doublespeak is employed in the operations of the Hanafi-Salafi hybrid, and since he insists on being Hanafi, a new word has been coined to describe him: Halafi (pl. Halafis).

Over fifty years ago, the former Shaykh al-Hadith of Darul Uloom Deoband, Shaykh al-Islam Mawlana Husayn Ahmad Madani (may Allah enlighten his grave) wrote a detailed letter to Mazahir al-‘Ulum Saharanpur in relation to a teacher at the madrasah who was relieved of his duties for developing sympathies for non-Traditionalist ideas. In it, Mawlana Madani explains the track of Deoband and the harms of Deobandi madrasahs employing individuals who are not of that track.[1]

Letter to Mawlana Ri‘ayat-ullah Sahib

Lofty respected Mawlana Ri‘ayat-ullah (may his piety be increased) – Assalamu ‘alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh.

Your respected letter was a cause of honour. Happiness came having learned about the goodness and wellbeing of Hadrat Mawlana Sadiq and the people of the Madrasah Mazahir al-‘Ulum and the excellent condition of the madrasah.

Respected one! We have always seen the way of our akabir. In the advices of Hadrat Nanotwi (may his secret be sanctified)—which is the charter of Dar al-‘Ulum Deoband—it has been declared necessary that the person [employed within a madrasah] is of the same track in religion (hum-mashrab). Our akabir are muqallid; they are Hanafis, Sunnis and Maturidi-Ash‘ari [in ‘aqidah]. They are people of tariqah—they are Chishti, Naqshbandi, Qadri and Suhrawardi Sufis; they dislike and avoid innovation (bid‘ah). This track has been that of our akabir and predecessors. Those contrary to this track, we do not call all of them kafir, nor do we call all of them fasiq, nor do we have enmity for all of them. However, yes, if a person were to do something that is kufr or fisq, then he will be dealt with accordingly.

The presence of someone who is not of our track, then we consider that person harmful for the institute and, instead of benefit, a necessary cause of harm. This is our experience. No institute can, in the gatherings of those of an opposing track (ghayr mashrab), bear fruit. The participation of one who rejects taqlid (ghayr muqallid) or an innovator in the administration of an institute, particularly in the teaching and imparting of knowledge, will be a means of harm and destruction. This is the case despite the opinions of these groups not reaching the level of takfir. What will, therefore, be the effect of the Qadiyanis, Shiites and extremists like them? Our akabir have always disliked not doing taqlid and have been followers of the Hanafi mathhab and taqlid, this is what they called to and to what they gave their hearts. They remained supporters and followers of tariqah and Tasawwuf.

Maududism is more foul and deviant than the rejection of taqlid. Look at the books of Maududi. He not only encourages dislike for Imam Abu Hanifah and the imams and jurists (fuqaha). Rather, he also dishonours the Noble Companions (may Allah be pleased with them) and the great khalifahs. Venom is spurted out regarding the imams of Hadith and the noble mujtahids. If a teacher is of this view, then what type of poison will be given to students—evaluate this yourself. The person who speaks absurd things in relation to Imam Abu al-Hasan Ash‘ari, Imam Ghazali, Mujaddid Alf-i-Thani, Shah Waliullah, Shah ‘Abd al-‘Aziz, Khwaja Mu‘in al-Din Chishti et al and whose writings are full of this, then the teacher who considers him correct, what sort of deviance and error will he be the cause of amid students. Evaluate this yourself.

Because of this, we only say that those who follow this track should definitely not be in an institute. Students or teachers should not look at the books of Maududi—assess this yourself. We have observed such that if someone, despite being of the same track, was either lacking in pious actions (be-‘amal) or whose actions were bad (bad-‘amal), then such a person would be of great harm in the administration of education.

I consider the action of Haji Qa’im al-Din to be correct. If Molwi ‘Abd al-Halim Sahib is of the same view as the Maududis and is in support of them, and he has established this view having read his books etc. then he should definitely be excluded from the institute. What takes place in future is your choice. The announcement we have made regarding the Maududis has been done with thought and understanding having taken into consideration his books and actions and having witnessed his impact. That which has not been written so far and not been published yet is much more. His books are full of deviancy. Be vigilant, be vigilant. Wassalam.

Nang-i-Aslaf
Hussayn Ahmad (may he be forgiven)
Deoband

(Maktubat bi-Silsilah Mawdudi Jama‘at, letter 14, page 101, and also Maktubat-Shaykh al-Islam, letter 14, volume 3, page 89)

[1] This letter was originally published in the Maktubat of Mawlana Madani and later included in a collection of letters from the mawlana regarding the Maududi group under the instructions of Shaykh al-Hadith Mawlana Muhammad Zakariyya Kandhalawi. [↩]
+4 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 9th September 2015 17:27
Deobandis who have studied in Saudi end up as Halafis, That is Salafi oriented Deobandis..Then we have the opposite end of the spectrum as regards Deobandis who have studied in Shaam, and Yemen.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 9th September 2015 18:20
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf wrote:
View original post

The ones who studied in Shaam and Yemen end up as brohalafis

:p
+3 -0Creative x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 9th September 2015 19:07
maybe it's better not to generalize. because someone might misunderstand.
take mufti abdur-rahman b. yusuf hafezahullah for example, studied in shaam under great scholars. or shaykh husain abdul sattar hafezahullah. both are praiseworthy ulama of the deobandi maslak.

and not every student in madinah university is a salafi in aqidah, fiqh or in their attitude.
+0 -0Agree x 4
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 9th September 2015 20:30
How sad. The Deobandi masajid and institutions in the west should put up big disclaimers stating the contents of that letter. Let them know that they have to convert to deobandism and become a member of the clique if they expect to be treated as a fellow Muslim brother and become a part of that society. Oh yeah and don't forget to add ". don't question anything!!"
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 10th September 2015 04:08
Concerned wrote:
View original post

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته brother,

I think that's taking it too far. The position of the article is from the standpoint of having core differences in teaching at an institution, which is obviously not good for a few reasons. One of them being a cause of division and confusion in the curriculum. This is a logical position from an administrative perspective. Most educators in the field understand this.

Of course you have those among the deobandis who take the ta'assub approach, but as far as cooperating with others of different methodologies in matters of general ma'roof, then deobandis are satistically in the forefront.

But, spending too much time discussing these secondary issues online is futile and takes us away from more important things. In my opinion...
+4 -0Like x 2Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 10th September 2015 04:28
I actually tried to delete that comment right after I posted because I felt I misread the article, but I guess the mods wanted to add some spice to the thread :D.

And I am now also being quoted on the Facebook analysis of this article :D.

Putting aside the letter for one minute, my statement still stands in relation to some situations I witness, interactions with people, and from online readings.

If the letter is referring specifically to followers of Maududi, then I take back what I wrote as the Maulana is just expressing his view of one group of people who he considers 'off track'. But I get the impression from the letter that the Maulana is referring to anyone who doesn't follow the akabir of Deoband, which I find problematic. I take your point of this letter referring to teaching staff, but as I said this is the same mentality with which many Deobandis view non Deobandis in general. I have no problems with Deobandis in genera. I have a problem when they start thinking that anyone who is not Deobandi is automatically viewed with suspicion, and when they think that the world revolves around Deobandis.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 10th September 2015 04:34
Quote:
But, spending too much time discussing these secondary issues online is futile and takes us away from more important things. In my opinion...
[/quote]

agreed that this should not take us away from the important things , but at the same time , they are more important things than this quote from the article:

[quote]Our akabir have always disliked not doing taqlid and have been followers of the Hanafi mathhab and taqlid, this is what they called to and to what they gave their hearts. They remained supporters and followers of tariqah and Tasawwuf.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 10th September 2015 04:44
I get where you're coming from now. It shoudn't be thought that the islamic world revolves around deoband, as it shouldn't and doesn't. But we cant police people's thoughts. We can give reminders and nasihah, though.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 10th September 2015 08:02
It appears that Mufti Taqi Usmani's article about ambigous attributes of Aqeedah is no longer at the same link on this site

Has it moved?

Posted via the Muftisays Android App
No post ratings
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 10th September 2015 08:05
Quote:
agreed that this should not take us away from the important things , but at the same time , they are more important things than this quote from the article:

Quote:
Our akabir have always disliked not doing taqlid and have been followers of the Hanafi mathhab and taqlid, this is what they called to and to what they gave their hearts. They remained supporters and followers of tariqah and Tasawwuf.

In the name of Allah (SWT) and after peace and salutations upon beloved Prophet (PBUH).

Translation : There are more important things than Taqlid.

Now that is a choice. This is not in agreement with the Deoband choice.
But Deoband will not declare this choice Fisq, let alone Kufr.
To each his own.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 10th September 2015 15:09
Assalaamu alaikum...

I am not a deobandi...
I do follow a madhab...
I didnt find anything wrong with that article...

I cant understand why the uproar... Lol...
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 10th September 2015 15:30
I would prefer the term Sanafi instead of Halafi, just sounds like it has something to do with food :/
+2 -0Creative x 2