Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

salah and headscarf

You have contributed 5.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd February 2016 11:18
Covering head is compulsory.
Saying Salah is obligation too.

Is there some difference of value in these mentioned obligations? are all Farayez and order of Allah not same? why a muslim is more conscious of salah first.... I dont cover head in family but now do cover head sometimes (mostly) while i am outdoor. I am wsihing, trying n praying for wearing it as commanded inshaAllah. now when i stand for pray i think why not scarf fisrt and salah later? both are Obligation why i am fixing and concentrating this Primarily. Kindly reply me asap i think its shaytan behind these evil thoughts and wants me to not say salah whcih i have started lately. Many thanks.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd February 2016 12:53
There are different levels of Worship, and some must be done and some can not be completed without the other. Others have more priority than the others.

Attending school is compulsory and so is wearing school uniform, so if both are compulsory and I don't want to go school, will wearing the uniform suffice? I'll go school when I'm ready or feel like it.....What do you say?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd February 2016 13:16
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Thanks. i wud say; you can go school only with uniform on. No excuse.
That means i shall say salah when i am ready to wear scarf officialy? Thats what I think these days.

p.s.I am wearing scarf while saying salah anywhere home or outdoor. I hope u havent taken my question the other way. I have asked abt two obligations; Praying Namaz and observing Parda i.e. covering hairs.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd February 2016 13:34
Quote:
That means i shall say salah when i am ready to wear scarf officialy? Thats what I think these days.

No.

Each thing has its time and place. Salary is fard 5 times a day in their prescribed times. You can't pray all five prayers in the morning and relax the whole day. Just like you can't take 4 doses of medicine in one go, you have to take the medicine in its prescribed time.

Similarly, hijab is necessary when you are with non mehrams, be it once a day or all day.

Salary is one of the five pillars of Islam, and each pillar has a prerequisite and one of them happens to be the hijab. Just like wudhu. You can not offer salah without wudhu.
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd February 2016 13:36
Are there degrees of Islam, and what are they?.

Praise be to Allaah.
Yes, there are three degrees of Islam, which are: Islam, eemaan and ihsaan. Each of them has a meaning and certain pillars or essential parts.

1 – Islam, which in Arabic means submission. In sharee’ah terminology its meaning varies according to usage, and it may mean one of two things:

(i) When the word is used on its own and is not accompanied by the word eemaan (faith, belief), it refers to the religion as a whole, including both major and minor issues of belief, words and deeds, as in the verses where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Truly, the religion with Allaah is Islam”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:19]

“and have chosen for you Islam as your religion”

[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

“And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

hence some of the scholars defined it as meaning: Submitting to Allaah by affirming that He is One (Tawheed) and submitting to Him by obeying Him and disavowing shirk and its people.

(ii) When it is used in conjunction with the word eemaan (faith, belief), in which case it refers to outward deeds and words, as in the verses where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The bedouins say: ‘We believe.’ Say: ‘You believe not but you only say, “We have surrendered (in Islam),”for Faith has not yet entered your hearts’…”

[al-Hujuraat 49:14]

In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (27) and Saheeh Muslim (150) it is narrated from Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqaas that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) distributed (Zakaah) amongst (a group of) people while Sa’d was sitting there. Sa’d said: But the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) left a man who I thought the best of them all, and did not give him anything. I said, “O Messenger of Allaah, why did you leave out So and so? By Allaah I regard him as a faithful believer.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Or (merely) a Muslim.” I remained quiet for a while, but could not help repeating my question because of what I knew about him. I said, “O Messenger of Allaah, why did you leave out So and so? By Allaah I regard him as a faithful believer.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Or (merely) a Muslim.” I remained quiet for a while, but could not help repeating my question because of what I knew about him. I said, “O Messenger of Allaah, why did you leave out So and so? By Allaah I regard him as a faithful believer.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Or (merely) a Muslim. I give to one person even though another is dearer to me, for fear that he might be thrown on his face in the Fire.”

With regard to the Prophet’s words “or (merely) a Muslim,” when Sa’d (may Allaah be pleased with him) said to him, “By Allaah I regard him as a faithful believer” mean: You do not know about his faith, all you can see is his Islam in the sense of his outward actions.

The second degree is eemaan (faith), which in Arabic means belief which is committed to submission. In Islamic terminology its meaning varies according to usage and it may mean one of two things:

(i) When the word is used on its own and is not accompanied by the word Islam, it refers to the religion as a whole, as in the verses where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah is the Wali (Protector or Guardian) of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into light”

[al-Baqarah 2:257]

“and put your trust in Allaah if you are believers indeed”

[al-Maa’idah 5:23]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one will enter Paradise except the believers.” Narrated by Muslim, 114.

Hence the salaf were unanimously agreed that eemaan means “affirming in the heart – which includes actions of the heart – and saying with the tongue and acting with one’s physical faculties. It increases by doing acts of obedience and decreases by committing sin.”

Hence Allaah limited the word eemaan to those who adhere to His religion in full, inwardly and outwardly, when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“The believers are only those who, when Allaah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur’aan) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone);

3. Who perform As-Salaah (Iqaamat‑as‑ Salaah) and spend out of that We have provided them.

4. It is they who are the believers in truth. For them are grades of dignity with their Lord, and forgiveness and a generous provision (Paradise)” [al-Anfaal 8:2-4]

And Allaah referred to eemaan as including all of that when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the one who believes in Allaah, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to Al-Masaakeen (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salaah (Iqaamat-as-Salaah), and gives the Zakât, and who fulfil their covenant when they make it, and who are patient in extreme poverty and ailment (disease) and at the time of fighting (during the battles). Such are the people of the truth and they are Al‑Muttaqoon (the pious”

[al-Baqarah 2:177]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) referred to eemaan as including all of that in the hadeeth about the delegation of ‘Abd al-Qays which is narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (53) and Saheeh Muslim (17), where he said: “I enjoin you to believe in Allaah alone. Do you know what belief (or faith) in Allaah alone is?” They said: “Allaah and His Messenger know best.” He said: “To bear witness that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, to establish regular prayer, to pay zakaah, to fast Ramadaan, and to give one-fifth of the war-booty (the khums).”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) described fasting the month of Ramadaan out of faith and in the hope of reward as being part of faith; he also said the same concerning spending the night of Laylat al-Qadar in prayer, fulfilling one's trusts, jihad, Hajj, attending funerals, etc. In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (9) and Saheeh Muslim (35) it says: “Faith has seventy-odd branches, the highest of which is saying Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is no god except Allaah) and the least of which is removing a harmful thing from the road.” It would take too long to mention all the verses and ahaadeeth that speak of this topic.

(ii) When the word eemaan is used in conjunction with the word Islam. In this case it is understood as referring to inward beliefs as in the hadeeth of Jibreel etc., and as in the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning the funeral du’aa’: “O Allaah, whomever among us you cause to live, cause him to live in Islam, and whomever among us you cause to die, cause him to die in faith.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1-24; he said it is hasan saheeh. It was also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani, as stated in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 1/299. That is because physical actions can only be accomplished during life, but when one is dying all that is left is the words and actions of the heart.

The point is that when either word, eemaan or Islam, is used alone, there is no difference between them, rather each of them when used alone refers to the entire religion. If there is any difference between them, then the word Islam refers to outward physical actions and the word eemaan refers to inward actions of the heart. This is what is indicated by the hadeeth of Jibreel which was narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh (8) from ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab who said:

One day when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), there appeared before us a man whose clothes were exceedingly white and his hair was exceedingly black, and there were no signs of travel on him. No one among us recognized him. He came and sat down by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and rested his knees against his and placed the palms on his hands on his thighs. He said: “O Muhammad, tell me about Islam.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam is to testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, to establish regular prayer, to pay zakaah, to fast Ramadaan and to go on pilgrimage to the House if you are able to.” He said: “You have spoke the truth.” And we were amazed at his asking that and saying that he had spoken the truth. Then he said: “Tell me about eemaan (faith, belief),” He said: “It means believing in Allaah, His angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Last Day, and believing in al-qadar (the divine will and decree), both good and bad.” He said: “You have spoken the truth.” He said: “Tell me about ihsaan.” He said: “It means worshipping Allaah as if you can see Him, and although you cannot see Him, He can see you.” He said: “Tell me about the Hour.” He said: “The one who is being asked does not know more about it than the one who is asking.” He said: “Then tell me about its signs.” He said: “The slave-girl will give birth to her mistress, and you will see the barefoot, naked, destitute herdsmen competing in constructing lofty buildings.” Then he departed and I stayed for a while. Then he said to me: “O ‘Umar, do you know who the questioner was?” I said: “Allaah and His Messenger know best.” He said: “That was Jibreel, who came to teach you your religion.”

The third degree is ihsaan, which in Arabic means doing something well, perfectly and sincerely. In Islamic terminology its meanings vary according to usage and it may mean one of two things:

(i) When it is used alone and is not mentioned in conjunction with Islam or eemaan, it refers to the religion as a whole, as stated above with regard to the words Islam and eemaan.

(ii) When it is used in conjunction with either or both of the words Islam and eemaan, the meaning is perfecting one’s outward and inward deeds. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained it in a manner that no other created being apart from him (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) could have explained it, because of the gift of concise speech that Allaah bestowed upon him. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “It means worshipping Allaah as if you can see Him, and although you cannot see Him, He can see you.” This is the highest degree of Islam. Those who attain this are the foremost in doing good, the ones who will be closest to Allaah in the highest degrees of Paradise.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us that the degree of ihsaan is of two categories, one of which is higher than the other.

The first position is the higher of the two: This means worshipping Allaah as if you can see Him. This means that a person acts as if he can see Allaah in his heart, so his heart is filled with light and the matters of the unseen becomes almost like that which is visible (i.e., it becomes very real to him). Whoever worships Allaah with awareness of His nearness and turning to Him and acts as if he is before Allaah and looking at Him is bound to fear Him and venerate Him.

The second position is that of sincerity and awareness that Allaah is always watching. This means that a person acts with an awareness that Allaah can see him and is close to him. If a person bears this in mind and acts accordingly, then he will be sincere towards Allaah because this awareness will prevent him from paying attention to anyone other than Allaah or doing anything for the sake of anyone else. If a person achieves this position, it will become easy for him to reach the position described above. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “and although you cannot see Him, He can see you.” If a person truly understands when worshipping Allaah that He can see him and knows all his deeds, hidden and visible, inward and outward, and that nothing is hidden from Him, then it will be easy for him to move from the lower position to the higher, which is the constant awareness that Allaah is close to His slave and is with him, because it is as if he can see Him. We ask Allaah of His great bounty.

See Ma’aarij al-Qubool by Shaykh Haafiz al-Hakami, 2/20-33, 326-328; al-Majmoo’ al-Thameen, 1/49, 53.’ Jaami’ al-‘Uloom wa’l-Hukam, 1.106.

Islam Q&A
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd February 2016 13:37
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd February 2016 13:40
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd February 2016 20:19
muslimah seeker wrote:
View original post

I heard a Scholar mention years ago that these are the tricks of shaytaan, thoughts such as "whats the point of me praying when I dont wear a Hijaab? "when I become steadfast on Hijaab and start wearing it full time I will then start praying".

So basically carry on praying your salaah and at the same time keep asking Allah to bless you with the tawfiq and the strength to be able to wear Hijab full time, In Sha Allah with Allahs help and assistance a day will come when you feel ready to wear the hijab fulltime..!

You will get other thoughts such.... "If I start wearing Hijaab full time people are going to think I am holy, when in reality I am not really holy and I will be deceiving people, so I need to perfect my salaah and I will then start wearing Hijaab" These sort of thoughts occur to people when they first start practicing the deen.

The shayateen starts planting these sort of thoughts to prevent the person from practicing the deen.

Another thought occurs to people is... "Why is everything hard for me, how come others when they start taking an interest in the deen are able to become practicing really quickly?"

Speaking from personal experience and observations the ones who start attending study circles, or lectures even if its once a week are able to progress faster I personally was very puzzled about this in my younger days. "How is it that I feel peace in my heart and feel motivated when attending lectures but I dont feel the same thing, when listening to the recordings of those lectures...." I found out later the reason for this is that the angels of rahmah attend those gatherings where people gather to remember Allah and learn their deen.

From my observation,some people when they first start practicing the deen feel nervous and very anxious about attending. bayaans and circles of deen, so they try to learn everything on their own, they might even obtain a lot of knowledge but when it comes to practicing every things a struggle and this can go on for years...Whilst others once they develop an interest in religion the first thing they do is start attending circles and lectures and they progress very quickly they might not be very knowledgable but being in the company of the pious they are able to make quick progress in a matter of weeks.

I hope this helps In sha Allah.
+3 -0Like x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 24th February 2016 16:45
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

jazakAllah for the kind replies. It helpd alot. thanks.
+0 -0Ameen x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 24th February 2016 16:54
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf wrote:
View original post

jazakAllah for ur reply. i do experience wat u have mentioned. really.

can u explain further wat u have quoted, please.

"keep sayng namaz regularly and u will start wearing hijab fulltime"

I am just asking this:

why not u said: "keep wearing hijab fulltime and then u will start saying salah regularly"

I hope my question is clear now. I want to know the difference between these two Farayez/obligations. both are orders of Allah but still is there some difference in their level of value?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 24th February 2016 16:56
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

jazakAllah I have read ur answer. I am clear about the different stages Islam, iman and ihsan.
much appreciated. many thanks.
+0 -0Ameen x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 24th February 2016 17:13
The importance of prayer is demonstrated in the many of the Prophet’s statement (saw). For example, the Prophet (saw) said,

"The first matter that the slave will be brought to account for on the Day of Judgement is the prayer. If it is sound, then the rest of his deeds will be sound. And if it is bad, then the rest of his deeds will be bad."

So wearing the Hijab and not offering Salah is pretty much pointless.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 24th February 2016 21:18
muslimah seeker wrote:
View original post

(bism1)

I think your confusion rests in how the word Farz is used in India/Pakistan and in most of the languages in those countries that is Urdu, Punjabi, Mirpuri etc. The word Farz will be used in many contexts when referring to a religious obligation for example a person is told .... "It is Farz to serve your parents" " It is Farz to earn a Halal income" "It is Farz to treat people fairly" "It is Farz to wear Hijab".

When it comes to worship Namaz is the most Primary Farz it is one of the Five pillars of Islam ... They are the following (1) Shahadah لآ اِلَهَ اِلّا اللّهُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُوُل اللّهِ the testimony of your faith which is that you bear witness and have complete belief and conviction in the fact that there is no god worthy of worship except ALLAH and Muhammad (saw) is the Messenger of Allah (2) Namaz/salah (3) Zakat (4) To Fast in the month of Ramadhan (5) Hajj .

For a brief explanation of the Five pillars of Islam click the following link ... www.muftisays.com/nti.php?article=4775

Once you have testified to the Kalimah لآ اِلَهَ اِلّا اللّهُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُوُل اللّهِ the most important obligation is Namaz this is your direct line and connection to Allah, in the dhuniyah people feel very proud of their connections and often boast about them.. "I have direct line and connection with my Manager", "I have a direct Line and connection with Superintendent of Police" "I have direct line and connection with my Local politician", "I have direct Line and connection with the Prime minister and president"...The reason people feel proud of this is that they are 'connected' because of their direction connections they are able to get things done.

When you pray Namaz you are connected to ALLAH this is your direct connection, and once your connection becomes strong you heart will increase in its desire to please ALLAH...and ALLAH will assist you in your religious affairs, those obligations like wearing a headscarf which might seem difficult at the moment will be
made easy for you In sha Allah.

On to your next question is there a difference between the Value of the Farz of Namaaz and the Value of the Farz of Hijaab, Yes absolutely.

So if you focus on trying to become consistent with the Hijaab whilst neglecting the Salaah, its like they say in English trying to put "the cart before the horse".

Namaz and the other five pillars mentioned are like the foundation and structure of the building of your Islam, obligations such as the head scarf are like the tiles on the roof of the building, when the foundation and structure of the building are weak, trying to focus on the tiles will not resolve the issue when faced with a jolt the building will quickly crumble... On the other hand if the tiles are loose it will cause leaks and very slowly over a period of time or years the foundation and structure of the building might crumble, so focus on your NAMAZ and ask ALLAH to grant you steadfastness and the tawfiq to fulfill obligations such as the headscarf.

So both obligations are important but the obligation that is of of greater and critical importance is Salah.

I hope what I stated makes some sense In Sha Allah. The following article will help clarify matters.

Why is Salah SO Important?

In the name of Allah, Praise belongs to Allah, and Blessings and Peace be upon the messenger of Allah...

In the Qur’an, Allah says,

“Indeed, I am Allah. There is nothing worthy of worship except Me, so worship Me and establish the Salah for My remembrance.” (Quran 20:14)

These are the words that Allah spoke to Musa (as), to Moses, and Allah reminds us of them again in the Qur’an. There is no doubt that the Salah, the established formal daily prayer, has always been a fundamental part of Allah’s religion, even before the last messenger Muhammad (saws). Allah says elsewhere in the Qur’an,

“And We certainly sent into every nation a messenger, [saying], "Worship Allah and avoid false gods." (Quran 16:36)

So why is the Salah so important? It’s simple. The Salah is so important because it is the precise way that Allah has instructed us to worship Him, and because worshipping Allah is the purpose of our creation, as Allah says,

“And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me.” (Qur’an 51:56)

In a video titled Prayer in Islam, I explained that in Islam there are different types of prayer, or different actions that are commonly translated as prayer, and that, aside from the Salah, the established daily prayer, there is also dua, the act of calling on Allah in prayer at any time or place, and dhikr, remembrance and continuous contemplation of Allah, and all these things are considered “prayer.” What’s interesting is that the Salah itself is in many ways an established form of dua and dhikr, calling on Allah and remembering Allah.

The importance of the Salah can also be understood though the ways in which the Salah benefits us.

It’s reported that the Prophet Muhammad (saws) was speaking to his companions, and he asked them, “If a person had a stream outside his door and he bathed in it five times a day, do you think he would have any dirt left on him?” The companions said, “No dirt would remain on him at all.” The Prophet (saws) then said, “That is like the five daily prayers: Allah wipes away the sins by them.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari, Saheeh Muslim)

Subhanallah, think about the amazing mercy of Allah, that he gives us five prayers throughout the day, every single day, with which we can be purified of our sins.

The messenger of Allah (saws) is also reported to have said, "Allah has obligated five prayers. Whoever excellently performs their ablutions, prays them in their proper times, completes their bows, prostrations and khushu' (total concentration and spiritual connection) has a promise from Allah that He will forgive him. And whoever does not do that has no promise from Allah. He may either forgive him or punish him." [Recorded by Malik, Ahmad, Abu Dawud, al-Nasa’I and others. According to al-Albani, it is sahih. Al-Albani, Sahih al-Jami, vol. 1, p. 616.]

Really think about that! If you maintain your prayers and pray them the way they’re meant to be prayed, Allah is giving you a guarantee of forgiveness! Who can give a better guarantee than Allah?

And not only does the Salah remove the sins you have, but it also protects you from further sins! In the Qur’an, Allah says,

“Indeed, the Salah keeps one from the great sins and evil deeds” (Quran 29:45)

Just think, at any given time during the course of the day, you either just finished praying or you are going to pray soon. That consistent routine of prayer continuously boosts your level of taqwa, conciousness of Allah. Since you’re always mindful of Allah, you’re aware that He sees everything you do, you’re less likely to commit sins.

According to Allah’s messenger (saws), the Salah is the most virtuous deed anyone can perform, and that’s why it’s so important to keep the prayer. Just as performing the Salah can be of tremendous benefit, neglecting the Salah can cause us tremendous harm.

As the Prophet (saws) informed us,

“The first matter that the slave will be brought to account for on the Day of Judgment is the Salah. If it is sound, then the rest of his deeds will be sound. And if it is bad, then the rest of his deeds will be bad.”
[Recorded by al-Tabarani. According to al-Albani, it is Sahih. Al-Albani, Sahih al-Jami, vol.1, p. 503.]

So insha’Allah now that you truly understand the importance of the Salah, you can take the next step by perfecting your Salah. That can mean different things for different people. If you are inconsistent with your prayers, it could mean disciplining yourself to pray them every day in their time. If you always find yourself praying at the last minute, it could mean making an effort to pray as soon as the prayer comes in. If you have trouble focusing in your Salah, it could mean studying the meanings of what you are saying in prayer and concentrating on it more deeply while in prayer. If you are a new Muslim, it could mean beginning to learn and practice the Salah, and make it part of your regular routine. Whatever our individual cases may be, I hope and pray that we can all remember why Salah is so important to us and to stay motivated to always improve. Until next time, Assalaamu ‘alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 25th February 2016 12:17

muslimah seeker wrote:
View original post

When two things are both MANDATORY and you are only able to do one, the way forward should be to carry on doing ONE while you also try to do SECOND.

The way forward is not to abandon ONE just because you cannot do SECOND.

Do you see the point?

Jzk

+1 -0Agree x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 25th February 2016 13:47
muslimah seeker wrote:
View original post

On the issue of Hijab and this thought that I will wear Hijab once I become really "Holy". The following written by Sister Yasmin Mogahed explains it quite well Ma'Sha Allah.

She writes:

Okay. There is an issue surrounding hijab that I have been observing for many years. And it was finally time to write about it…

So I really hate being lied to. I suppose that’s why it makes me so angry to see the widespread deception caused by shaytan. There is this subtle deceptive tool becoming sooo pervasive—even among practicing people. And I’ve noticed how it plays out with hijab. Okay, before I get into how this trick works, let’s begin with the foundation:

#1. We are on a journey.

#2. Pleasing God is the destination.

#3. Obedience to God is the fuel.

Okay, now watch how this trick works. Shaytan says:

Step 1: “Hijab is a high spiritual *destination*. It is a ‘crown’ you wear once you’ve reached spiritual enlightenment/perfection.”

Step 2: “You aren’t there yet, spiritually.”

Step 3: “Therefore, you shouldn’t wear hijab until you first reach that level of spiritual enlightenment/perfection.” OR “If you already wear hijab, you aren’t at that spiritual level and you aren’t representing Islam well, so you should take it off until you can reach that level.”

Why this is a lie and a logical fallacy:

1. Hijab is NOT a crown you wear once you’ve reached spiritual enlightenment/perfection. Hijab is NOT a spiritual destination. Hijab is *part of the fuel (obedience)* to get there! It is part of the path to get to the destination: God.

2. Therefore, saying that I need to get to my destination (pleasing God), by displeasing God, is a logical fallacy. And that’s exactly the point. Shaytan knows this. It’s like seeing you’re gas tank running empty while driving to Los Angeles, and saying, “I first need to get to my destination, and THEN I’ll fill up with fuel.”

We need fuel *in order* to get to our destination.

Conclusion: Of course hijab is not the *only* fuel that fills the spiritual gas tank! But it is part of it! Why? Because it is part of our obedience to God. And refusing it, is an active and daily disobedience to the One we are trying to reach. Hijab isn’t for perfect people. There are no perfect people. If there’s anything that boils my blood, it’s when people say things like, “She might as well take off her hijab because she did…” Or “She wears *hijab* and she did…” As if the assumption is that once you wear hijab you are announcing to the world that you have become angelic. Hijab is not for angels. Hijab is for flawed, beautiful, humans who are saying every day that they are trying. And there is so much beauty in that struggle. Allah sees it. Even if you're struggling with other things, it could be this act of obedience that Allah accepts! And due to it, may even forgive your other shortcomings! So don't lose hope and belittle any act of obedience--even if you see yourself as so flawed.
Hijab isn’t a destination we get to. Hijab is part of the path. Just like everything else we struggle to do to obey and please God. Hijab is part of the fuel that is helping us reach our destination: God.

Yasmin Mogahed.

+2 -0Like x 2