Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

mufti Menk - Doha - cartoons are allowed.

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 08:13
السّلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Recently there was a talk of mufti Ismail Menk in the middle East:
wp.me/p2IpDQ-xD

Very good talk as usual but he said that making cartoons to educate the kids is allowed...

Cartoons as in cartoon network ..

I'm not criticizing him but find it a bit strange ..what do other scholars say?

He said its one of the thousands of ways to serve Deen..

The mp3 is on the ijtema..

Irrespective of what few members here say I have huge respect for him...but just wanted to clarify this.

He has some amazing noor in his face..very pleasant. He looks better in person than on YouTube.

وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 10:12
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 13:11
all I can say is v are living in some very interesting and at the same time confusing times...safer way is to stay away.

wallahu aalam
Posted via the Muftisays Android App
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 18:17
I am so shocked.. There is this aunt who said that she won't talk to her daughter (or so) if she draws faces even in school.. and since then I have known the karahat of making cartoons.. you can make cartoons without faces to educate the children but... cartoons like CN.. I can't swallow it..
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 20:18
May Allaah Ta`aalaa give all `Ulamaa' the Tawfeeq to proclaim the Haqq, regardless of the audience, and allow us to practice upon it, enthusiastic about His Sublime Law and the Sunnat of His Noble Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم).
+0 -0Ameen x 3
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 22:12
The Salafi view of cartoons

islamqa.info/en/71170

No mention of cartoon network though.

A few points were understandable, but ultimately it means drawing etc.

What is the ruling on animated cartoons that are shown to children? Do they come under the heading of images that are forbidden in Islam?.
Praise be to Allaah.
Firstly: 

It is well known that Islam has forbidden image-making, drawing and sculpting every animate being that Allaah has created; there are stern warnings issued to those who do that. 

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most severely punished of the people on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5950) and Muslim (2109). 

See also the answer to question no. 7222 and 39806. 

Islam makes an exception from this prohibition in the case of images with which children play. 

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came back from the campaign to Tabook or Khaybar, and in her alcove there was a curtain. The breeze came and lifted the edge of the curtain, uncovering the “daughters” of ‘Aa’ishah, i.e., her dolls. He said: “What is this, O ‘Aa’ishah?” She said: “My daughters.” And among them he saw a horse with two wings of cloth. He said: “What is this that I see among them?” She said: “A horse.” He said: “What is this on it?” She said: “Two wings.” He said: “A horse with wings?” She said: “Have you not heard that Sulaymaan had horses with wings?” She said: And he smiled so broadly that I could see his eye teeth.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (4932), classed as saheeh by al-Iraaqi in Takhreej al-Ihya’ (2/344) and by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood. 

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajr said in Fath al-Baari (10/527): 

This hadeeth is taken as evidence that it is permissible to have dolls and toys for girls to play with. This is an exception to the prohibition of images. This was stated by ‘Iyaad, and it was narrated from the majority that they allowed the sale of toys and dolls so that girls might learn from a young age how to take care of their houses and their children. End quote. 

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: What is the ruling on cartoons that appear on TV? 

He replied: 

With regard to the cartoons which you say appear on TV, if they are in the form of humans, then the ruling on watching them depends on whether they come under the same ruling as realistic human images or not? It is most likely that they do not come under that ruling.  

If they are not in the form of humans, then there is nothing wrong with watching them, so long as they are not accompanied by anything haraam such as music and so on, and they do not distract from obligatory duties. End quote. 

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa 2/question no. 333 

Secondly: 

The issue of animated drawings and cartoons is one of the most serious educational issues, because of the immense effect that these films have on children’s developing characters, and because they have become a primary educational tool in many countries nowadays. 

At this stage the heart and mind of the child is like a blank page; nothing crosses it but it leaves an imprint. 

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Tuhfat al-Mawdood (240): 

One thing that the child desperately needs is for care to be taken with regard to his morals and attitude, for he will grow up with whatever the one who is raising him accustoms him to when he is small, and when he grows older it becomes difficult for him to change what he has got used to; these attitudes and characteristics that have become deeply ingrained in him, even if he tries to suppress them, they will always surface and expose him. End quote. 

These are some of the positive effects of children watching these programs: 

1 – They give children a great deal of educational information in an easy and enjoyable manner. Some cartoons focus on particular geographical areas, and others focus on scientific matters, such as the parts of the human body, which gives the child advanced knowledge at an early age.

2 – They develop the child’s imagination and nourish his abilities, and they develop the imagination in a way which helps the mind to grow and prepare it to be innovative and teach the child new ways of thinking and behaving.  

3 – They teach fus-ha (classical) Arabic which children usually do not hear at home or even at school. It is well known that teaching the child correct language is one of the aims of education. 

Ibn Taymiyah said in Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem (1/207): 

It should be noted that becoming accustomed to the language has a powerful effect on one's thinking, attitude and religious commitment, and also has the effect of seeking to follow the example of the early generations of this ummah, the Sahaabah and Taabi’een. Seeking to follow their example increases reasoning, religious commitment and good attitude. Moreover, the Arabic language is part of this religion, and learning it is obligatory and essential. End quote. 

4 – They meet some psychological needs and have a beneficial effect, such as compassion, love, honouring one’s parents, competition, striving for success and meeting challenges and many other positive attitudes that can be instilled via cartoons. 

There are also some negative effects that come from watching these programs: 

1 – The negative consequences of watching TV in general, of which there are many such as: damage to the eyes, getting used to laziness and inactivity, getting used to passive reception and not participating. It also stunts natural development of knowledge, because knowledge is acquired by learning, researching and seeking, but the television replaces seeking with mere receiving. Watching TV also weakens the bonds of love between family members, when they let watching shows keep them from speaking to one another. 

Ibn al-Qayyim said, discussing the parent’s responsibilities in raising the child in Tuhfat al-Mawdood (241): 

He should avoid letting him became lazy and inactive, and should teach him the opposite. He should not let him rest for more than he needs to refresh his body and soul for more work, for laziness and inactivity bring bad consequences and will end in regret, but hard work brings good consequences, either in this world or in the Hereafter or in both. End quote. 

2 – They present beliefs and ideas that are contrary to Islam, as some movies include mixing and display of charms (tabarruj) that are haraam. Some cartoons, such as Tom & Jerry, give distorted ideas about the Hereafter, Paradise and Hell, and the Reckoning. Some cartoons include distortions of the stories of the Prophets and Messengers, and some poke fun at Islam and Muslims, whilst others (such as Pokemon) include the beliefs of eastern and idolatrous religions. And there are many other examples. Even if a film does not outwardly go against Islam, it still carries notions of western culture that are alien to our society and religion. 

Dr. Wahbah al-Zuhayli said in Qadiyat al-Ahdaath (6): 

With regard to children’s programs and some adults’ programs, they propagate the spirit of western culture and promote western traditions, and they attract people to western-style parties and clubs. 

One of the effects of this culture is the adoption of imaginary examples instead of following the example of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), his companions, the scholars and the mujaahideen. So children start to imitate Superman, Batman and Spiderman and other imaginary characters who do not exist, and they lose out in following the real example, as they get confused by so many imaginary examples who have no faith.  

See: Wasaa’il al-I’laam wa’l-Atfaal: Wajhat nazar Islamiyyah by Abu’l-Hasan Saadiq and the article entitled Athar al-Rusoom al-Mutaharrikah ‘ala al-Atfaal by Nizaar Muhammad ‘Uthmaan. 

After stating the positive and negative aspects, the Islamic attitude should be clear in sha Allah. The more negative points there are, the closer the ruling is to stating that it is haraam, and the more it is able to avoid the negative aspects, the closer it is to being permissible. This tells us that it is essential to establish companies that will produce Islamic cartoons by means of which all positive virtues may be instilled and all harmful and evil aspects can be avoided. 

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Yet the answers given here provide ample evidence for its prohibition. islamqa.info/en/7222 and here islamqa.info/en/39806
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 22:27
MuftiSays Ulama...

www.muftisays.com/qa/question/2257/drawing-of-cartoon-cha...

Is it permissable to draw cartoon characters, or print cartton characters which you have not designed, but then you sell on and make money from

Answer
Answered by Ulamaa ID 04
Answer last updated on: 20th August 2006
Bismillah

Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah's guidance)

It is Haraam to draw animated pictures like cartoon characters etc, and the income earned from it will also be Haraam.

Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan

While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle . I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects." (Bukhari 3:428)

And Imam Tirmidhi relates that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, �On the Day of Judgment, part of the hell fire will come forth with two eyes with which to see, two ears with which to hear, and a tongue with which to speak, saying, �I have been ordered to deal with three: he who holds there is another god besides Allah, with every arrogant tyrant, and with makers of pictures.�

And Bukhari, Tirmidhi, and Imam Nasa�i relate the prophetic hadith form Ibn Abbas, �Whoever makes a picture, Allah shall torture him with it on the Day of Judgment until he can breathe life into it, and he will never be able to.�

And Only Allah Ta'ala Knows Best.
Moulana Qamruz Zaman
London, UK
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 22:32
Askimam.org »

Is it permissible to watch cartoons on the computer? As it is the ruling of most Ulema that pictures on the computer screen are not prohibited.

Answer
The factor which prohibits cartoons, movies and games on computer is not pictures in this case. Instead it falls under the category of Lahw and La?ib (useless forms of amusement).

There is no doubt that these cartoons and games is an absolute waste of time and energy and there is no benefit. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, ?It is from the excellence of a man?s Islam that he leaves what does not concern him.? (Tirmidhi). In another Hadith, Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) says, ?The involvement of a person in useless and futile issues and talks is a sign of Allah?s anger on him.? (Rabbaani)

May Allah Ta?ala save us from all Fitnahs, Aameen.

and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
No post ratings
Rank Image
Germany
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 22:44
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post
Sorry, I know this is off topic. But what is "Rabbaani"? Is it supposed to be a reference to a hadith collection? Never heard of it...
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2014 23:07
Saheb wrote:
View original post

Wasalam

Here's Hamza Yusuf's view on it and I agree more with Hamza Yusuf

A very good lecture called 'Devils Trap'

Halalified YT Audio

He gives statistics, as to how many times kids on average daily are exposed to violence, drugs, sex etc just through cartoons. Mentions other forms of things as well. Top lecture and every one should watch it, especially if you're a parent. A very informative eye opening lecture.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2014 04:26
yes... cartoons are not suitable even for Adults! let alone kids with such innocent minds..! when I look back in see how many cartoons promote immoral behaviour.. teach dia respect of parents.. elders.. you are cool and they are fools...we don't notice but the dressing they do is so in appropriate..
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2014 07:50
sister Muslim 11 mufti Menk referred to making cartoons with an Islamic message as an alternative to such Haraam cartoons of the west..

he reasoned that parents would not be able to stop their kids from going online and being exposed to these things and hence the necessity of the alternative...

جزاكُمُ اللهُ خيراً و أحسن الجزاء to others and those fatwas.

mufti Saheb actually talked about tom and jerry too he said we grew up watching tom and jerry abd what we do is we in our later lives behave the same ...always trying to put the other down like how tom does... and then he went on to suggest creating islamized cartoons so that the new generation doesn't imbibe the media of the west...

the safer option is to stay away but don't know how...
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2014 09:18
yes brother... I understand the need for making cartoons for kids.. but.. one can make cartoons without the features of eyes.. that's what Islamic magazines and book use..
like there is this grey mag for the youth called the radiance magazine.. I will try to show it Insha Allah..
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2014 09:26
Here are some images.. I specially took the ones with cartoons.. (And one without it too)
Maulana Abdus Sat tar DB is the head of the maaraakiz e fahmedeen and this is one of their magazines..
WWW.fahmedeen.org
I can't seem to be uploading the images.. It is taking too long..
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2014 10:19
Islamic Cartoons!!

I have come across a few of these online as mentioned by the kids. Honestly, they are nothing but un-Islamic, in fact one was totally Blasphemous where each character was named after the 99 names of Allah and had posers accordingly.

The Blasphemous cartoon was from the Middle east and the other cartoon, something like "Burka avenger" was from Pakistan.
No post ratings