Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Top Members

How Does One Maintain Respect For Ulama?

You have contributed 18.2% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Taalibah
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2014 13:35
Assalamu alaykum,

Every few months, some thing will come up revealing how most Muslims in the West are insecure oreos. Quite often, (junior Deobandi) scholars are involved in these antics. Women protesting in the streets, tanda paani challenges, chumming up with modernists, etc.

How do you maintain respect and reverence for them? And I don't mean just adding Shaykh before and (ha) after their name...

I honestly want to know. Should we shun them aside? And how, quietly or loudly denouncing them? Do we accept whatever they say just because they're Dars-e-Nizami graduates? Or sift through and take the good and leave the bad? Does the average layman have the knowledge and taqwa to do this?

If one stays quiet to be respectful, he may be guilty of allowing a fitnah to fester..If one is openly exposing a wrong, he may push away some weak brother/sister who is just starting to trust the Ulama...

At the same time, you, yourself, are going through some inner turmoil...Who to trust? How can I take deen from someone I have no confidence in? Will our maslak stay alive in the near future? Am I being sincere when I allow a Doebandi scholar every husne-zhann but don't do the same for non-Doebandi scholars? All these questions are running through his mind and unclarity in the mind and heart is unhealthy [for the novice saalik]...

So how do you brothers and sisters survive?
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Germany
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2014 13:47
I think it would be beneficial for many brothers and sisters to just find 1 scholar who they have complete trust in and is easily accessible for them. That's sufficient, you don't need to follow nor reject each and every scholar. Find one you can live with and covers your needs, that's it. If one is not enough, then you should definitely be able to find a handful of them after a thorough search. Everyone else you take the good from them and just leave their mistakes. This is a practical and totally uncomplicated approach for the laymen.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2014 13:55
kanzoorbhai wrote:
View original post

Personal survival kit...Revere no one, hold on to authenticity. People of knowledge should be respected but not given reverance or high statuses. Once you believe something to be of adherence to the shariah stick to it. Have faith in yourself and not so much in others.

Trust no one but Allah, do istikara when necessary, I've been let down at the most sensitive times in my life by those I held in high position. That taught me a lesson to never become dependant on anyone other than Allah. People are just a means regardless of who they maybe.

We will die alone, we will be answerable for our own deeds and actions. All people regardless of who they maybe are prone to err, all humans have personal opinions and beliefs which sadly has a tendency to creep in when asked for advise whether this is correct or otherwise. Allah knows best.

Today, everybody wants to be heard, everyone wants to to right, be the loudest, the most knowledgeable, the one with the highest status.

Apologiesl if ive gone off topic!
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
India
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2014 15:17
Now I respect every hafiz and every alim regardless of his maslak or sect. But I follow those ulama who do I trust in.

I think of ulama e soo in this way- suppose they're casted into hell fire because of their deviation but when they'll come out from jahannum they'll be placed on higher level in jannah than us, the laymen.
+0 -0Agree x 1Disagree x 2
Rank Image
Germany
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2014 15:38
Arfatzafar wrote:
View original post
Sorry, but I don't really think that makes any sense.

+0 -0Agree x 1Disagree x 1
Rank Image
India
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 31st August 2014 18:39
You may think otherwise.

Having read you comments I contacted an alim on phone regarding this issue. He told me that no good amal of a momin is wasted until he wastes it himself e.g. If he helps a Muslim in need and later on he reminds him before others to insult him.

So having been purified in hell he'll be placed in jannah according to his good deeds.

Allah سبحانه وتعالى knows best
+1 -0Winner x 1
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 1st September 2014 04:40
Quote:
Do we accept whatever they say just because they're Dars-e-Nizami graduates? Am I being sincere when I allow a Doebandi scholar every husne-zhann but don't do the same for non-Doebandi scholars? [/quote]

Excellent Questions, but sadly that's exactly what happens.

Quote:
Revere no one, hold on to authenticity. People of knowledge should be respected but not given reverance or high statuses.

Excellent advice, but sadly not what we see happening

[quote]Trust no one but Allah, do istikara when necessary, I've been let down at the most sensitive times in my life by those I held in high position. That taught me a lesson to never become dependant on anyone other than Allah. People are just a means regardless of who they maybe.

May Allah allow us to remain steadfast on this.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 1st September 2014 17:06
Arfatzafar wrote:
View original post

"If he helps a Muslim in need and later on he reminds him before others to insult him."

Sorry, I didn't understand this, brother.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 1st September 2014 17:11
True Life wrote:
View original post

I agree. :S
No post ratings
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 5th September 2014 12:03
Good question. What do we do when the time comes or it already has come when the ulema will be the worst of the people? Do we still need to respect them?
+0 -0Disagree x 1
Rank Image
Germany
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 5th September 2014 20:17
Relax, guys! A scholar taking the Ice Bucket Challenge does not automaticly qualify as what we know as an "evil scholar" ('Alimu's-Suu), despite your expectations the respective Hadhrat will have to try much harder to make it into that league. A scholar doing something contrary to his scholarly status (or even Shariah), a scholar belonging to another maslak and an evil scholar are three totally different things. You are mixing them all up like the use of weak and fabricated Ahadith. The scholars under discussion travel somewhere between Saturn and Jupiter, whereas an evil scholar has clearly passed the Mercury in a direction to get burnt very bad!

+3 -0Like x 1Winner x 1Creative x 1