Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Who was the woman who was the daughter, sister, wife and mother of a prophet?

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd August 2014 07:54

Can anyone please answer this question? Kindly provide the source if you have or if you can find.. (Even if the source isnt available at the moment. Just post the answer and the source can be updated later on Insha Allah)

Jazakumullahukhair.

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd August 2014 09:37

This seems to be doing its rounds on the web.

Please be very careful as the answers would need to be verified by scholars.

Other search results provided the same answer. Please don't quote me on this nor the author.

Daughter, Sister, Wife & Mother of Prophets?

Message sent to me:

Question: Who is the only woman whose father, husband, brother and son were Nabīs?

Answer: Layyā bint Ya‘qÅ«b – her father was Ya‘qÅ«b عليه السلام ; her husband was AyyÅ«b Ø¹Ù„يه السلام ; her brother was YÅ«suf عليه السلام ; and her son was Ẓul Kifl عليه السلام .  

My comment:

At the outset, it should be mentioned that there are many unheard of narrations circulating through the blessings of ash-Shaykh Email, al-Allāmah Blackberry and al-Mufti Facebook etc. The scholars are under no obligation to verify each of these circulations. The onus is upon the circulator to prove the authenticity of what he distributes.

عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال…  Ø§Ù„بينة على المدعي

RasÅ«lullāh ØµÙ„Ù‰ الله عليه وسلم said, “The burden of proof rests upon he who makes the claim.” [al-BayhaqÄ«]

That being said, my instinct tells me that the Layyā “narration” is but an attempt to provide a female equivalent to the ḤadÄ«th mentioning YÅ«suf عليه السلام  as being NabÄ«, son of NabÄ«, son of NabÄ«, son of NabÄ«.

Daughter of Ya‘qub عليه السلام

Despite the story of YÅ«suf عليه السلام  being the single most detailed continuous story narrated in the Qurān, the only names mentioned in it are that of his and that of his father. This is because the Qurān is a book of guidance and does not detail dates, names, places etc. as the Hebrew scripture does. However, it is permitted to refer to the Hebrew books for such details – where they make sense and do not contradict anything established by Islām – for RasÅ«lullāh صلى الله عليه وسلم  said:

عن عبد الله بن عمرو: “بلغوا عني ولو آية، وحدثوا عن بني إسرائيل ولا حرج، ومن كذب علي متعمداً، فليتبوأ مقعده من النار

Convey from me even if it be an Ä€yah. Narrate from the Children of Isrāīl and there is no harm in it. But he who intentionally lies against me should prepare his resting place in the Fire.” [al-BukhārÄ«]

According to Genesis, “Leah” or Layyā was a wife of Ya‘qÅ«b عليه السلام  who bore him his only daughter, DÄ«nah. This already debunks the fictitious Layyā, supposed daughter of Ya‘qÅ«b عليه السلام . Genesis further describes her being raped by an idol-worshipper. The Hebrew sources describe her only child, variously a boy or a girl, as the product of that rape. Even if a boy, it would be impossible for DÄ«nah/Layyā to be a mother of a NabÄ«, since the Qurān describes Prophets as pure of lineage. Ẓul Kifl عليه السلام  could not be the product of rape.

Sister of Yusuf  Ø¹Ù„يه السلام

Firstly Yusuf عليه السلام  did not have a full sister. He was the son of Rachel (Rāḥil) whilst DÄ«nah was the daughter of Leah (Layyā). That aside, DÄ«nah has been discussed above.

Mother of Ẓul Kifl عليه السلام

Ẓul Kifl عليه السلام  is mentioned twice in the Qurān. Although suggestions have been made, he is not clearly identified with any figure in the Bible with absolute certainty. If we accept the suggested names, we also accept that none of them are grandchildren of Ya‘qÅ«b عليه السلام. If we avoid the suggested names and restrict our discussion to Islāmic sources, then neither the Qurān nor ḤadÄ«th mention his mother. I cannot check every TafsÄ«r, but neither Ibn KathÄ«r, al-BaghawÄ« nor al-Qurá¹­ubÄ« mention his mother. Surely being the grandson of Ya‘qÅ«b عليه السلام  would have merited a mention?

Furthermore, the narration which the Books of TafsÄ«r quote from Ibn ‘Abbās , describing how Ẓul Kifl عليه السلام  attained his position, makes it abundantly clear that this was generations after Ya‘qÅ«b Ø¹Ù„يه السلام  when there was a large population descended from him and a kingdom had been established. In other words, he was born after MÅ«sā عليه السلام  and was no son of any daughter of Ya‘qÅ«b عليه السلام :

عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما، قال: “إن نبياً من أنبياء بني إسرائيل، آتاه الله الملك والنبوة، ثم أوحى الله إليه أني أريد قبض روحك، فاعرض ملكك على بني إسرائيل، فمن تكفل لك أنه يصلي بالليل حتى يصبح، ويصوم بالنهار فلا يفطر، ويقضي بين الناس فلا يغضب، فادفع ملكك إليه، فقام ذلك النبي في بني إسرائيل وأخبرهم بذلك، فقام شاب،

Allāh granted a NabÄ« from amongst the Prophets of BanÅ« Isrāīl kingship and prophethood. Allāh revealed to him, “I intend to seize your soul. So present your kingdom to BanÅ« Isrāī. He who guarantees (kifl) you that he will offer á¹¢alāh until the morning; and fasts during the day without breaking it; and will judge amongst the people without becoming angry; then give him the kingdom.”

The NabÄ« stood amongst BanÅ« Isrāīl and informed them of that. A young man stood…..

Wife of Ayub عليه السلام

The MufassirÅ«n have written extensively about the wife and children of AyÅ«b عليه السلام . They describe Allāh’s gifts to the NabÄ« who had succeeded in the tests put upon him. This included the loyal wife and restoration of his deceased children and additional offspring as well. They debate whether the children were resurrected or are to be restored in the Ä€khirah. Again, neither Ibn KathÄ«r, al-BaghawÄ« nor al-Qurá¹­ubÄ« mention his wife being the daughter of Ya‘qÅ«b عليه السلام , which would have been a pertinent point in listing Allāh’s  favours in regards his family. Even the Bible does not mention her name.

In all the discussion on the offspring, none mentions Ẓul Kiflعليه السلام  as being amongst them. This would have been a most glaring omission in the light of the Qurān describing other prophets (YÅ«suf, Yaḥyā and ‘Īsā) as gifts to the virtuous (Ya‘qÅ«b, ZakarÄ«yā and Maryam). How then does the Qurān and commentators maintain silence on Ẓul Kifl عليه السلام being the supposed son of AyÅ«b عليه السلام ? Although not a unanimous view, the possibility of AyÅ«b عليه السلام  being European and not Asian, makes the above parentage of an Asian NabÄ« even more farfetched.

Conclusion

In conclusion, the Ummah should be far more careful of what they narrate as fact. In regards the above, I believe the balance of facts point to it being a fiction.

+3 -0Winner x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd August 2014 10:04
who I brother salman kindi?
Is He reliable?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd August 2014 14:10
He is Sulayman Kindi. Expert researcher, author, translator, blogger and scholar.

This is his blog: kindi313.wordpress.com
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd August 2014 14:39
afriki_haqq wrote:
View original post

muslim11 wrote:
Is He reliable?