Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Feeling Spiritually Low ? ( Condition of Qabz )

You have contributed 6.3% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Maria al-Qibtiyya, Naqshband66
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 20th April 2014 11:36
السلام عليكم

This is a state, that is not limited to people in a tareeqah but can also apply to people outside a tareeqah too.

In this state your aware of the implications of not praying, not doing good deeds etc, but you have hit a brick wall and to put it bluntly 'you simply can't be bothered', despite having all the knowledge etc. I'm sure many of us can relate to this experience at some time in our lives, some may even be experiencing it right now.

A request to all members, if you know about this state then please mention what's the best way to get out of it, also any links or further info on this will be very much appreciated. If anyone has anything on 'feeling spiritually low' then please post it.

Me and a brother was discussing this a few weeks back and he recommended me to read Maulana Yunus Patel rahimullahs article on it. I'll be posting it below, I however did find it beneficial just like I have done with other works of Maulana, may Allah reward him abundantly and elevate his ranks.

yunuspatel.co.za/books-feelingspirituallylow.php

جزاك الله خيرا
report post quote code quick quote reply
+7 -0Like x 5Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 19:42
So Masha'Ala there is no one here who has ever actually felt spiritually low ??

Subhanallah that's a miracle then.

Come on guys, if a revert turns up and asks the same question would you still remain silent or would you give some advice ?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 19:54
tip;
talk to someone about it and stick to what they say..
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 20:23
Spiritual Highs

"Many people whilst performing worship feel that devotion void of some kind of spiritual ecstasy, such as tears in du'ā or total concentration in ṣalāh, is useless. However, this notion is incorrect, for neither are they a means of pleasing Allāh ta'ala nor by their absence will Allāh ta'ala be displeased.

People who aim for these things feel despondent when they cannot achieve them or after they disappear, and they eventually abandon all their practices.

Remember our ultimate goal is the Pleasure of Allāh ta'ala and this will be achieved through fulfilling His commands, whether we feel a high in worship or not.

This can be understood by the following example. When you travel on a train during your journey you may see some beautiful scenes, some that are not so beautiful, and others that are plainly horrible. Do these affect you in anyway? No!  Your journey continues, because the objective is your destination, not the sceneries you see on the way.

Likewise, in your spiritual journey remember your destination is Allāh ta'ala and His pleasure and not the spiritual highs that you may experience during worship."

Source
+5 -0Like x 5
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 20:30
Jinn wrote:
View original post

Above probably isn't what your looking for, but related to feelings of highs and lows when practicing, remembered reading it a while back and found it beneficial, hope it's of benefit to other members, inshaAllah.

جزاك الله خيرا
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 20:57
salaam

for me the best solution is spending time in jamaat. the problem is how to maintain it when you return back home. one way would be to have regular daily taleem from fadhail amaal or any such similar book in your home. i know it sounds simple but it does work.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 21:22
During a discussion It was mentioned that once people start practicing, all they see is rules, and people stop seeing the point of just going through the practices and just following rules and restrictions, this is when spiritual lows start seeping in.

The remedy was to stop focusing on the rules, and start learning more about Allah سبحانه وتعالى. Listening to talks on the qualities and attributes of Allah سبحانه وتعالى or studying and reading literature to help us focus on recognizing our creator, and developing love and attachment for Him.

Thereafter only this love and attachment will drive us to keep us practicing accordingly.

Allah knows best.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 21:41
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 21:46
As-salamu alaykum,

My problem is that I often feel phisically low and it affects my iman unfortunately; I cannot pray salah nawfeel as I feel weak, I cannot fast often for the same reason, and then it makes me feel also spiritually low! However I haven't stopped doing what is fardh, but I don't feel strong enough to do more, and I don't feel close enough to Allah..

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
India
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 21st April 2014 22:21
Jinn wrote:
View original post

(bism1)
(salaam)

Initially When the salik sets for this journey i.e. The Purification of soul, he has zeal, fervour and interest in carrying out all the commands; and accumulating as many good deeds as possible. But after a certain period he enters from puberty into maturity, herein, sometimes his zeal goes off gradually or in some cases- suddenly, however, if he lingers on without losing all hopes, moreover, keeps in touch with his shaykh and follows his instructions then he goes on smoothly except a few hiccups, not always though.

Now, all his daily doings of sulook shapes into mundane. This stage is continued for some days or some months.

Before entering into next phase, all of a sudden, he loses his interest in all his routine work. He faces darkness, his heart wants to run away from all this. He finds himself at the cross road where is no hope, no zeal, no vision. If he, hitherto, has been serious of his journey of sulook, he finds himself squirming as all the progress is stopped, even he may miss the fardh salah. He beholds nothing but restlessness. This condition of his is continued for many days or some months; but he must not leave his shaykh in any case and must try to stick to zikrullah- defined by his shaykh and lots of dua.

It's literally knotty and confusing condition for him.

But good thing is that During this phase he may be shown 'bisharat' as well.

As soon as this trial-period comes to an end- doors of 'futohat' are opened where unseen and unimagined happenings will occur. But it requires more humbileness as ascending the mountain needs bending posture, and swagger may cause him to fall down.

Allah swt knows best.
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd April 2014 04:04
twinkle wrote:
View original post

sis you should go see a doctor, as you often feel physically weak.

I think when you're in grief you will be closer to Allah thus will feel spiritually high, or otherwise it's common to feel spiritually low.

And also, when you are in the company of pious people you'll feel spiritually high.
+2 -0Like x 2Agree x 2
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd April 2014 04:18
two things one must try to hold on to no matter how bad and low it gets during qabz:

1. whatever happens the fardh salah will not be missed at all cost
2.will not commit a kabeera guna/ big sin

These two are last defence lines, once broken during this time, nafse can get very loose and barakah lifts from one's life.

Nafse can get worn out sometimes and wants and desires to feel free. It will try and desire to break boundaries, but the Aql/intellect should not let it break the above two lines of defence atleast,no matter what.Or else the problem can get too bigger than just being a simple few days and weeks of qabz.
+0 -0Like x 5
Rank Image
Soleil
Sister
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd April 2014 12:22
I don't know if my 2 cents worth it :

Everytime I feel spiritually low, I seek other venue to find Allah, other than formal rituals like dhikr, reciting Qur'an. For example : increase the amount of charity, acts of kindness, helping out the needy. Or go to nature and enjoy the sunset, while contemplating that it is Allah's Greatness that everything is intertwined in a giant harmony, like a collective drop in the ocean.

Or just read Rumi's books LOL, like Fihi Ma Fihi or Maznavi ==> these books might have many questionable hadiths and some strange Sahaba stories but I gotta admit Rumi is a master of the soul purification.
(The more you read Rumi the more you find he stressed a lot how important it is to gather with pious people, friends of Allah, and people of knowledge to keep imaan and spirituality in shape.)

IMO it doesn't matter we're spiritually "low" as long as we don't abandon our Islamic obligations. It might be tempting to decrease the amount of dhikr and Qur'an or nafl while we're low, but actually it's only creating more distance between us and Allah.

twinkle wrote:
View original post

I used to experience the same, constant tiredness. and this is my sincere suggestions from personal experiences and solutions (btw I'm not nutrition expert!) :

- Eat a looooot of veggies, fruits, and fresh juices. I've switched my diet from regular meat eater to half vegetarian (still consuming milk and egg, tho), and noticed a lot of energy spike afterward. Other vegetarians I know have reported the same. Not that I ask you to abandon meat, but just include more fruits and veggies in your diet.

- Black seeds and honey. Preferably everyday. Everytime I have a really tight schedules, I just prepared myself with tons of veggies, a little black seeds and honey every several hours, abandon meat. I was only sleeping for 4 hours at the time, but feeling no tiredness at all. Previously I've tried high dose of multivitamins, the refreshing effect wasn't as close as black seeds and honey. But this is just my experiences.

- Exercise = investing energy for more energy. Spend at least 2 hours a week for biking, running, or 10 minutes a day for stretching, push up, jumping rope.

- Sleep adequately.

+4 -0Like x 3Agree x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd April 2014 17:18
Guest-17750 wrote:
View original post

JazakAllahu khairan bro.

Where can I read more about this?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd April 2014 21:09
Coloratura wrote:
View original post

Jazak Allahu Khair sister! : )
Also jazak Allahu khair to sis Maria : )
+2 -0Like x 2