Topic Appreciation
the fake shaykh, Taalibah
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#31 [Permalink] Posted on 1st March 2014 03:33
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

Or type Dukane Ishq sunniforum in your Google search engine. :)
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#32 [Permalink] Posted on 1st March 2014 03:47
Quote:
Let me ask you this: Were there any madaaris, khanqahs, books of fiqh, books of tafseer that that sahabah got together and studied from? Did they teach Bukhari and Muslim? Did they give out ijaazahs? The answer to all these questions is no. Any knowledge they got was directly form Rasulullah (s.a.w)
[/quote]

madaaris - maybe not in the way we have today, but the function of madaaris, i.e teaching and learning was definitely there, e.g in the masjid.
khanqahs - you tell me. this is one of the things i am trying to understand.
books of fiqh - maybe not in a written format like we have today, but fiqh was practiced as evidenced in the life of the sahabah (rd).
books of tafseer - maybe not in a written format, but it was definitely there in the teachings of the prophet (saw) and in the knowledge of some of the sahabah (rd).
bukhari and muslim - obviously they did teach bukhari and muslim as they were the source of bukhari and muslim.
ijaazahs - thats another thing i am trying to understand.

so apart from khanqah and ijaazahs, i am certain that they had the other things in one form or another. so in the same way i am trying to find out in which form did they have tasawwuf - and how is the tasawwuf of today related to the tasawwuf of the sahabah (rd)?

Quote:
Then why do we have all of this now? Isn't it a bid'ah. Of course, not. All these things are waajib li ghayri (i.e. wajib not in and of themselves, but due to outside reasons). Due to the decline of academic knowledge, it became obligatory to develop these institutions and to codify the sciences in order to preserve the deen.

we do the points that i have explained because they were also done by the sahabah (rd). i have not made an issue of how they were done in the era of the prophet (saw) and the sahabah (rd) and how they are done today. in the same way, i have not made an issue of how tasawwuf is done today and how it may have been done in the era of the prophet (saw) and sahabah (rd). i am asking a simple question which is, '
how was tasawwuf practiced in the era of the prophet (saw) and sahabah (rd)? ' i have no idea why you have even brought up the issue of bidah when i have not even mentioned anything of the sort. all i am trying to do is understand how tasawwuf was practice in the era of the prophet (saw) and the sahabah (rd). i have already explained why i am trying to understand this.

[quote]Its same with tasawwuf. There was no need for a shaykh during the tiem of the Sahaabah. The sahaabah would reach the state of ihsaan just from being in the prescence of Rasulullah (s.a.w). But after Rasulullah (s.a.w) passed away, reaching the state of ihsaan became harder and harder, until finally it became necessary to develop the practice of tasawwuf. To reach the state of ihsaan now, you ideally need to be in the company of a shaykh who has already achieved it, just as the sahaabah had suhbah with Rasulullah. Since we don't have Rasulullah (s.a.w) with us, we need to do some mujahadaat and exercises to reach that level of ihsaan and taqwa.

now we are getting somewhere. so basically the sahabah (rd) practiced tasawwuf through being in the presence of the prophet (saw). were there any other factors involved in the tasawwuf of the sahabah (rd) or was this the only one?
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#33 [Permalink] Posted on 1st March 2014 03:49
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#34 [Permalink] Posted on 1st March 2014 03:53
xs11ax wrote:
we do the points that i have explained because they were also done by the sahabah (rd). i have not made an issue of how they were done in the era of the prophet (saw) and the sahabah (rd) and how they are done today. in the same way, i have not made an issue of how tasawwuf is done today and how it may have been done in the era of the prophet (saw) and sahabah (rd). i am asking a simple question which is, '
how was tasawwuf practiced in the era of the prophet (saw) and sahabah (rd)? ' i have no idea why you have even brought up the issue of bidah when i have not even mentioned anything of the sort. all i am trying to do is understand how tasawwuf was practice in the era of the prophet (saw) and the sahabah (rd). i have already explained why i am trying to understand this. [/quote]

Apologies brother. I was not accusing you of anything. I was making a comparison between the development of tasawwuf and other branches of science. I just thought it would make it easy for you to understand.

[quote="xs11ax"]now we are getting somewhere. so basically the sahabah (rd) practiced tasawwuf through being in the presence of the prophet (saw). were there any other factors involved in the tasawwuf of the sahabah (rd) or was this the only one?

Alhamdulillah, so some good did come out of that post!

Yes, being in the presence of Rasulullah (s.a.w.) was basically their practice of tasawwuf. There were other things here and there (i.e. Tasbih Fatimah etc...) but mostly it was their suhbah with the Messenger (s.a.w.). It was enough to clean out their hearts and elevate them to great ranks. SubhaanAllah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#35 [Permalink] Posted on 5th March 2014 02:34
Sulaiman84 wrote:
What is not Sufism?

Kashf and Karamat are not criteria for sufism, which is neither an avenue for prosperity in commerce nor hocus pocus nor talisman trading nor a means of winning cases in the courts of law. Sufism has also nothing to do with prostration on the tombs, provision of mantles or kindling of lamps thereon. To predict the future is not sufism either. To call the aulia in absentia (with the belief that they hear such a call) or regard them as having control over deliverance from suffering for all mankind is not sufism. It is not a warranty that a single Tawajjuh of a mentor will edify and enlighten a disciple and saddle him to the straight path without endeavour and due regard to the Prophet's Sunnah. Neither veracity of Kashf and Ilham in the process is guaranteed nor ecstacy, trance, dance and music are sufism. The irony is that all these absurdities are opposed to it. (Moulana Ahmed Yar Khan )

Ibn Taymiyah's general attitude to Sufism is disclosed in this passage: "Some people accept everything of Sufism, what is right as well as what is wrong; others reject it totally, both what is wrong and what is right; as some scholars of kalam and fiqh do. The right attitude towards Sufism, or any other thing, is to accept what is in agreement with the Quraan and the Sunnah, and reject what does not agree." (Majmu'al Fatawa- Vol 10 P 82)

"The purpose of the following the Sufi way is first to strengthen the conviction in the beliefs of the Shariah, which is the essence of faith, and second, to make the performance of its duties easy. Nothing else is the object of Sufism." (Sirhindi - Vol 1. P 217)

"The Shariah has three parts: knowledge, action, and sincerety of motive (ikhlaas); unless you fulfil the demands of all these parts, you do not obey the Shariah. And when you obey the Shariah you obtain the pleasure of Allaah, which is the most supreme good in this world and the Hereafter. The Quran says:" The pleasure of Allaah is the highest good." Hence, the Shariah comprehends all the good of this world and the next, and nothing is left out for which one has to go beyond the Shariah.

The tariqah and the haqiqah for which the Sufus are known, are subservient to the Shariah, as they help to realize it's third part, namely, sincerity. Hence they are sought in order to fulfill the Shariah, not to achieve something beyond the Shariah." (Sirhindi - Vol 1. P 36)

"Like this what has been seen in the "Kashf" is not proof in Shariat. If it is against the Shariat then the "Kashf" will not be accepted, it will be rejected. If anyone does not accept "Kashf" then no severe order will be put on him." (Fatawa Mahmoodia -Vol 18 - P103)

Ghazali (Rahmatullahi alayh) "....if you do any thing without the Lawgiver's (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) order and conformity to him, through such work be in the form of devotion, it is not devotion but an act of sin " (Maktub.P9 )

Mufti Mehmood Gangohi (A.R) states the rule: ".... the action of the Mashaaikh, which is not a Shari proof. It's adherence is not necessary " (Vol- 15. P 426- Fatawa Mahmoodia.)

About bold part, what about hadrah in shadhili Tariqa? Is it Bid'ah?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#36 [Permalink] Posted on 5th March 2014 02:43
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Hadrah is allowed in the Shafi'i madhab, but not in the Hanafi madhab.
+2 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#37 [Permalink] Posted on 5th March 2014 02:48
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

why is it bidah in Hanafi madhab and not in shafi'i?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#38 [Permalink] Posted on 5th March 2014 02:58
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Because they permit it, we dont. Simple.

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#39 [Permalink] Posted on 5th March 2014 04:17
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Differences in fiqhi deductions based on the principles of the madhhab...
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Soleil
Sister
#40 [Permalink] Posted on 5th March 2014 06:04
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Shafi madhab allows dancing based on the hadith of Rasulullah (pbuh) and Aisha (rha) watching the Absynian show in masjid.

Imam Shafi and Imam Nawawi divided bid'ah into good bid'ah and bad bid'ah. They also divided bid'ah into halal, makrooh, mubah, haraam.
+4 -0Like x 3
#41 [Permalink] Posted on 8th March 2014 21:11
@XS11AS :The 'essence' of tasawwuf is 'eslahe Akhlaq',which was very much present in the time of Sahaba.It was not given a name though,which hardly matters.Ehsan in 'Ibadaat' was firmly entrenched in the life of Sahaba (again tasawwuf without this particular name.The Aqaed of Sahaba were perfect,their responsibility towards society was exemplary,their Muamilat (Monitory dealings) were clean .....all these put together is called 'tasawwuf' now.

As for some particular azkar and Muraqibat,those were indeed not present in the time of Sahaba,they were more involved with 'Tilawat of Quran',Nawafil,sadaqat and Jehad....these things plus (mainly) the Suhba of Rasoolullah salallaho alaihe wa sallam) was enough to produce 'TAZKIA' of their nafs....later the specific azkar etc of Sulook were required and adopted.

So,if we leave the name of tasawwuf and it's terminologies aside...all the rest was very much part of the life of Sahaba.
+0 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#42 [Permalink] Posted on 8th March 2014 21:17
Coloratura wrote:
View original post

What about the ahadith where it says about Jafar رضي الله عنه hopping around the Prophet (saw) in happiness ?

I think the above is also used to justify the practice of hadra

The rest Allah knows best
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#43 [Permalink] Posted on 8th March 2014 21:19
A few days ago I read somewhere :

"Tasawwuf used to be a reality without a name,
Today's it's a name without a reality".

+4 -0Like x 4
Rank Image
London
Brother
#44 [Permalink] Posted on 9th March 2014 00:22
Jinn wrote:
View original post

You may have read it the "words for wisdom" thread posted by I think Naqshband66.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Soleil
Sister
#45 [Permalink] Posted on 9th March 2014 08:29
Jinn wrote:
View original post

yes it is. though I personally don't see that "Sufi dancing" is actually a dancing nor a dhikr. Look, if I want to whirl and jump to make myself sweat or happy, I'll just whirl or jump but I won't call it "dhikr" lol.

In my country, who had been centuries a Shafi'ie Ash'ari and Islam was spread by Sufis through da'wah and offensive jihad, never we had such thing called "sufi dancing". Whirling dervish is actually new, since Mevlevi tariqa entered in circa 1980's, and recently it's kinda blooming thanks to Naqshabandi Haqqani/Hisham Kabbani. They lured people by this musical whirling dervish.

the saying "tasawwuf was once reality without a name, now it's a name without reality", is an expression from an Iraqi ascetic because he saw tasawwuf has strayed from the Qur'an and Sunnah at the time he saw it. He basically pointed out that before tasawwuf was named "tasawwuf" it was nothing but being mothered and fathered by Qur'an and Sunnah.
No post ratings