Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, abu mohammed, kanzoorbhai
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 11:21
السلام عليكم

Lets see what the ulema say..

Title: Are the lectures of these orators reliable?

Question

A. Is it permissible to listen Bayan Of,

>Mufti Menk ( Zimbabwe)

>Sahik Mumtaz ul haque( Uk)

>Saikh Zahir Mahmood ( UK)

>Sister Yasmin Mogahed( USA)( for my wife)

>Ustad Nouman Ali KHan ( may be from USA)

>Dr Zakir Naik

>Saikh Sulayman Kahtani

>Saikh Sulayman Molla

>Yousuf Eastes ?

B. Is it Pemissible to download video/ bayan from youtube and sahre with freinds and others.

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu 'alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

a) It is important for every Muslim to ensure his source of Deenī knowledge is sound and reliable. The great Imām from the Tābi'īn, Muhammad ibn Sīrīn (d. 110 H) - may Allah Ta'ālā have mercy on him - said:

إن هذا العلم دين فانظروا عمن تأخذون دينكم

"Verily, this knowledge is religion, so be cautious of whom you take your religion from." (Sahīh Muslim) [1]

A similar statement was narrated from the Sahābī, Abū Hurayrah (radiyAllāhu 'anhu), and the Tābi'ī, Qatādah (rahimahullāh). [2]

In general, the person from whom you take your religious knowledge should be someone who adheres to the Sunnah of Nabī (sallAllāhu 'alayhi wasallam) in creed and conduct, and to the path of the noble Sahābah (ridwānullāhi ta'ālā 'alayhim ajma'īn). Nabī (sallAllāhu 'alayhi wasallam) defined the group that is on haqq (truth) from his ummah as those that hold fast to "what I and my companions are upon." [3] The name with which this methodology has become known is: "Ahlus Sunnah wa l-Jamā'ah" - adherents of the Sunnah and the Group, meaning, the Sahābah.

The great Faqīh from the Tābi'īn, Ibrāhīm al-Nakha'ī (d. 96 H), said, in describing the practice of the scholars of his time:

كانوا إذا أتوا الرجل ليأخذوا عنه نظروا إلى سمته وإلى صلاته وإلى حاله ثم يأخذون عنه

"When they would come to a man to take (religious knowledge) from him, they analysed his conduct, his Salāh and his state, and then [if these were to standard], they took from him." [4]

Furthermore, the person from whom you take religious knowledge should be of sound character and a person of piety. The great hadith scholar, Yahyā ibn Ma'īn (d. 233 H), said:

آلة الحديث الصدق والشهرة والطلب وترك البدع واجتناب الكبائر

"The apparatus of hadith (and religious knowledge) is integrity, recognition (amongst the scholars), pursuit (of Deenī knowledge), abandonment of bid'ahs and avoidance of major sins." [5]

Some of the criteria we advise you to look for in order to assess whether a particular person should be regarded as a trustworthy and accepted scholar from whom to take knowledge of Deen are the following:

>He does not violate the laws of Sharī'ah. For example, he does not attend events in which there is intermingling of sexes, he does not cut his beard short, he does not listen to music, he does not keep pictures of living things etc.

>He is a graduate of a reputable and accepted institute of Shar'ī studies.

>He adheres to one of the four mazhabs of fiqh, namely, the mazhabs of Imam Abu Hanīfah, Imam Malik, Imam al-Shāfi'ī and Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal.

>He has sound positions in 'Aqīdah that are in accordance with what has been established by the scholars of Ahlus Sunnah, like Imam al-Tahāwī, Imam al-Nasafī and others.

>He is not a person of bid'ah. That is, he does not hold any baseless religious beliefs, nor does he engage in any practical innovation in religion.

>He is recognised and approved by the 'ulamā' of Ahlus Sunnah wa l-Jamā'ah, and those 'ulamā' who are moderate and known for their taqwā.

From the names you have listed, the numbers 2, 3, 7 and 8 are known to us and are reliable sources for guidance.

b) The permissibility of digital photography and videos is a highly contested issue amongst contemporary 'Ulamā. Whilst many 'Ulamā permit this, many others consider it to be the same as typical photography, hence deeming it impermissible. It is advisable to exercise precaution and abstain from watching such videos. Instead, you may listen to audio recordings of the bayans.

And Allah Ta'āla Knows Best

Nabeel Valli

Student Darul Iftaa
Lusaka, Zambia

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

www.daruliftaa.net

www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/28348
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Agree x 1Disagree x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 11:37
Deobandi's nowadays are going through a frog in the well phenomenon. Only deobandi scholars are reliable, only deobandi opinions are correct etc etc. Well I would say pretty much every school of thought is going through a bit of taassub today, due to narrowmindedness.
+4 -0Like x 2Agree x 2Disagree x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 11:39
Someone forgot to add Maulana Tariq Jameel in that list.
+4 -0Like x 3Winner x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 11:40
The reply was a predictable one, obviously biased and understandable.

(Dr Naik & Co. is a different case)

The point now is that these people have the pulling power, they attract the youth of today. They have the skills and are making the most of them.

If the same question was sent to another Desai, we'd probably get an even more predictable response. Including Mufti Menk being mentioned as deviated.

For me, NAK is an inspiration.
+3 -0Agree x 1Winner x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 11:55
Alhamdulillah, we all agree on NAK.

I would advise the OP to check out some of his talks for herself. And to kindly ignore that fatwa as:

(1) it is obviously biased
(2) Mufti sahib does not know NAK
(3) it seems to be talking more about academic knowledge. I've already clarified that NAK's talks have nothing to do with academic knowledge. They have everything to do with insipiration.

Dr. Sahib, insha'Allah you don't have to listen to him, but kindly do not discourage others from benefitting.

Academic knowledge: go to 'Ulema
Insipiration: Go to 'Ulema and reliable non-Ulema like NAK. Stop with the tunnel-vision attitude.
+3 -0Agree x 2Disagree x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
Soleil
Sister
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 12:00
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

^^^ THIS.
I know a Desi brother who became atheist, he really liked listening to Nouman Ali Khan and now he returns to Islam again alhamdulillah.

I really like Br. Nouman's lectures, replete with wisdom. Just recently I watched his lecture on "Light upon Light" verse, it's really clear from his style explaining the verse he is more to Arabic linguist than actual tafseer. He is not that "seriously scholarly" Nevertheless his stuff is gem.
+3 -0Like x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 12:05
Please see response 14 which is updated. Not the first South African Ulamah have not accurately described on Dr Israr Ahmed (RA). He is not saying that his Tafseer is based on Maulana Maududi (RA) but he said that he got introduced to the Qur'aan by reading it! Difference of day and night in what is being claimed by askimam.

If I had time (and was bothered) I would translate everything which has been quoted in the response in clear English to see how askimam Fatwa (one line) stacks up...
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 14:34
salaam

if the deobandi ulama are so worried about deobandi laymen gravitating towards non deobandi 'ustadhs', then why dont they do something positive about it instead of just criticising them?

provide an equal or better alternative. then there will be no need to warn people against non deobandi 'ustadhs'. the people will automatically turn away from them and towards the deobandi ulama.

+4 -0Like x 4
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 14:36

xs11ax wrote:
View original post

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 14:58
It is inappropriate to express negative views and opinions regarding respected ulama..

Please maintain respect for each other and Ulamaa (if topic is about a scholar) by avoiding accusations and slanderous comments. Also remember that in order for criticism to be constructive, it must be channeled in the right direction. If there is any doubt in a matter, it is better to ask, clarify or to remain silent rather than to speak ill of another person.
+0 -0Agree x 3
Rank Image
India
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 17:26
Those scholars who profess that taqlid shakhsi impedes the flow of knowledge or make the people as the frogs in the well; and those who accept such views are themselves, as a matter of fact, involved in taqlid shakhsi of anti taqlid shakhsi group.

There are several televengalsits like Dr zakir naik sb, Yusuf estes sb, Bilal Philips sb, Tahirul Qadri sb who've large number of fans and followers. Nobody can refute their scholars before them.

I heard some lectures of Dr Israr Ahmad sb and I found some of his interpretation of Quranic verses in very strange way. So I stay away from him.

As far as NAK is concerned, I've never heard him. Since your agreed that he's not an authorized-mufassir of Quran, so I'll prefer to avoid him.

I know Hazrat Sahaba Ikram rz.a had more command over Arabic and were more knowledgeable than the modern scholars.
Following is an example only

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas RA: 'Umar RA used to make me sit with the elderly men who had fought in the battle of Badr. Some of them felt it (did not like that3 and said to 'Umar RA: 'Why do you bring in this boy to sit with us, while we have sons like him?'
'Umar RA replied 'Because of what you know of his position' (i.e. his religious knowledge).
One day 'Umar RA called me and made me sit in the gathering of those people, and I think that he called me just to show them (my religious knowledge). 'Umar RA then asked them in my presence: 'What do you say about the interpretation of the statement of Allah'.
'When comes help of Allah, and the conquest . . .' (110: 1).
Some of them said: 'We are ordered to praise Allah and ask for His forgiveness, when Allah's help and the conquest (of Makka) comes to us'. Some others kept quiet and did not say anything. On that 'Umar asked me: 'Do you say the same, O Ibn 'Abbas?' I replied: 'No'. He said: 'What do you say then?' I replied: 'That is the sign of the death of Allah's apostle which Allah informed him of. Allah said:
'(O Muhammad) when comes the help of Allah (to you against your enemies) and the conquest (of Makka) (which is the sign of your death) - you should celebrate the praises of your Lord and ask for His forgiveness, and He is the One who accepts the repentance and forgives' (110:1-3).On that 'Umar RA said: 'I do not know anything about it other than what you have said'.[Bukhari, Vl, No. 494.]
+5 -0Like x 5
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 17:54
Quote:
Narrated Ibn 'Abbas RA: 'Umar RA used to make me sit with the elderly men who had fought in the battle of Badr. Some of them felt it (did not like that3 and said to 'Umar RA: 'Why do you bring in this boy to sit with us, while we have sons like him?'
'Umar RA replied 'Because of what you know of his position' (i.e. his religious knowledge).
One day 'Umar RA called me and made me sit in the gathering of those people, and I think that he called me just to show them (my religious knowledge). 'Umar RA then asked them in my presence: 'What do you say about the interpretation of the statement of Allah'.
'When comes help of Allah, and the conquest . . .' (110: 1).
Some of them said: 'We are ordered to praise Allah and ask for His forgiveness, when Allah's help and the conquest (of Makka) comes to us'. Some others kept quiet and did not say anything. On that 'Umar asked me: 'Do you say the same, O Ibn 'Abbas?' I replied: 'No'. He said: 'What do you say then?' I replied: 'That is the sign of the death of Allah's apostle which Allah informed him of. Allah said:
'(O Muhammad) when comes the help of Allah (to you against your enemies) and the conquest (of Makka) (which is the sign of your death) - you should celebrate the praises of your Lord and ask for His forgiveness, and He is the One who accepts the repentance and forgives' (110:1-3).On that 'Umar RA said: 'I do not know anything about it other than what you have said'.[Bukhari, Vl, No. 494.]

Just for academic purpose.
The interpretation of Fath Makkah is also correct (check Maariful Quran). The interpretation of Umarرضي الله عنه and ibn Abbasرضي الله عنه is the deeper meaning of the verses.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 17:57

Arfatzafar wrote:
View original post

I agree with you but I would like you to read and consider two possibilities before replying to this message.

1. IS our responsibility to impart Islam to Deobandees ONLY or to ALL Muslims?
  2. If our responsibility is to Serve the whole Ummah then shouldn't we improve our product continously?

The issue isn't people like you (who are already Deobandees) but thousands who are not!

You are free to disagree and I request that you do let me know if you disagree so I can learn from your experience.

Sister Aysha  on this forum is neither Deobandi nor Indian/Pakistani so shouldn't we present the work of our Akabir in a way that it catches her heart although she knows nothing about ThanaBhawan or Urdu?

+0 -0Agree x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 18:43
SubhaAllah! Looks like I restarted a previously discussed topic, and the discussion has just carried on here, a lot more information than I expected. JazakAllah to all of you for contributing. Alhamdulillah, a lot of people seemed to have benefited from listening to him.
I looked up his name, and on the first page came across various topics, I clicked on one and minimized the window so my issue is not his appearance as i barely glanced at him.
Regarding his qualifications, I know I asked if he was authentic, but that is actually also not an issue. I just went to a ladies jamaat bayaan, and I don't think the speaker was a scholar, but I was fine listening to him and didn't find any issue with what he was saying.

This was the video, again I have not listened to the whole thing:

Halalified YT Audio

After posting the thread I spend a lot of time thinking about it, and to me the Holy Quraan is the word of Allah Ta'ala, I can't take a chance with this. I have learnt that there is information and there is Ilm. Ilm is spiritual, a connection with Allah. I have to be extra careful that the source of Ilm is clean and pure, so it affects my heart, otherwise it is just information.
I am not a hater or someone who has any thing against this brother. May Allah Ta'ala raise his ranks in Jannah, forgive his sins and give him Jazaa-e-khair for all that he has done for this deen and the ummah, but I personally have decided to stay away.
Wallau A'alam.
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Soleil
Sister
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 18:59
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

If you don't mind me rambling....

I'm not a Desi at all, in fact I'm a Shafi' / Ash'ari. My father belongs to a, let's say, our country version of YOUR Deobandi -- only it's Shafi' in madhab and Ash'ari in aqida [and less strict than Deo, and more cultural]. I can attest that even this group still has a kinda annoying "us vs them" mentality with other Islamic groups that actually still from Ahlus-Sunnah wal Jamaah (for example, with the Hanbalis here, which is second majority), and a "WOW" fanatical mentality when it comes to defending their akabir.

Only currently after Salafis started to widespread from the Arabia oil money, attacking Ash'aris and badmouthing our Sufi ancestors who spread Islam in this land -- they are now busied defending people's deen from Salafi tajsim aqeedah, LOLL.

Now I don't intend whatsoever in comparing Deobandi with this..... but yes, we must be beware of such a groupie mentality. Are we stern for the sake of deen, or for the sake of group?

[Disclaimer : be soft with me, peeps. I'm a layman ]

Wassalam

Authorizer edit (smiley face with wink removed)

No post ratings

Jump to page: