Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, abu mohammed, kanzoorbhai
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 01:29
Assalamu'alaikum,

I came across his name in the Islamic trivia thread, and was impressed by the knowledge credited to him by the members. When I searched his name on Youtube and started listening to a speech I was a bit confused; he started describing scenes from a movie (I don't remember which one), and seemed to be referring to the movie to explain a verse of the Quraan*. I don't have much knowledge, but to me this seems completely wrong. Would this be okay Islamically? Are his lectures considered authentic to listen to?
Please help.
JazakAllah.

* Someone had asked him a question and he was answering, I didn't listen to the whole thing as I wasn't sure if it was okay.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI3XYnc1YVQ
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 01:59
(bism1)

(salaam)

Yes, he is perfectly fine to listen to. And yes, he uses whatever examples he can to describe a verse of the Qur'an, you'll notice that a lot. What you were referring to is probably when he used a scene from the movie "Finding Nemo" (children's cartoon Movie), to explain a particular style of the Qur'an. Im not saying its halal, but mind you, its not filthy rated R movie.

Some things you should know about him:

1) He is NOT a scholar. This is something he has explicitly stated himself on numerous occasions. He does not like being referred to as a scholar, and even is against people calling him a "shaykh". He is simply a "student of the Qur'an" (as he has stated himself).

2) He does NOT talk about fiqh or 'aqeedah. So if you're hoping to find a video of him propagating a deviant sect/idea, good luck. I can guarantee you won't find anything. He does not even go near those topics. There's only one thing I heard from him regarding fiqh that made be just a bit disappointed, and its not on youtube.

3) All his talks are about Arabic, Qur'an, family/social issues.

4) The guy is a MASTER of Arabic. Yeah, he'll say things like "I'm a beginner student" etc... but thats all bogus. This guy knows better Arabic than even many scholars. No disrespect to the 'ulema. He's been studying Arabic for at least 15 years if im not wrong, and teaching it for about a decade (if im not wrong).

5) He does not wear traditional sunnah clothes, but dont be put off by that, because you shouldn't be looking at him any way. He is a young man, hence any sister who wishes to watch his videos should minimize the tabs or restrict herself only to the audio.

6) The way he explains Qur'an is profound. Simply profound.

7) He cracks a lot of jokes which (personally) have me burst out laughing. But its moderate, so its a good thing.

+6 -0Like x 1Winner x 5
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 02:11
No he is not a deviant. Yes, he is from the ahlus sunnah. I have strong reasons to believe that he may be a Hanafi or Shafi'i.

+6 -0Like x 1Agree x 1Winner x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 03:38
السلام عليكم

Iam sorry if i sound harsh.. or offend someone.. but have to say a few lines here..

I was at Markaz Nizamuddin with a scholar of deen who is a resident there since the 70's. the topic of discussion was books and someone mentioned a Tafseer by Hazrat Maulana Abdul Kareem Parekh sahab رحمة الله عليه .. Hazrat db shook his head in negative.. said its best to avoid Tafseer by Non Ulema.. and then someone mentioned the Tafseer by Hazrat Mufti Taqi Usmani sahab db and his face brightened saying..yes this is the thing to read.. and i shall also get my copy إن شاء الله..

coming back to Nauman Ali khan.. he may be a pious man.. a good speaker.. having good intentions.. BUT chosing him to learn Qur'anic subtleties.. a big NO.. it could hit big time disaster anyday..

we may see the dangers of such interpretations here in this Hadith.. www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?51427-speaking-wi...

And how can anyone avoid issues of Aqeedah and Fiqh while giving dars of Qur'an.. taking to explain Qur'anic ayahs in the light of Hollywood movies.. how dangerous and absurd..

Sorry.. its always better & safer to vouch for a scholar (Alim) than a Youtube shaikh..

wa Assalam..

+5 -0Like x 1Agree x 2Winner x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 04:05
dr76 wrote:
coming back to Nauman Ali khan.. he may be a pious man.. a good speaker.. having good intentions.. BUT chosing him to learn Qur'anic subtleties.. a big NO.. it could hit big time disaster anyday.. [/quote]

Bhai, his 'tafseer" is not exactly a "tafseer" in the real sense. He more expounds upon the subtleties of the language, not the background or the asbaab ul nuzool of the verse. Then he will normally explain how it applies to us and our society, and how we can apply any advice given in the ayah. Simple. Not a real "tafseer", more of like seeking advice from the Qu'ran for daily life and knowing why its a miracle.

Quote:
we may see the dangers of such interpretations here in this Hadith.

Nope, he does not interpret the Qu'ran himself. Anytime he even gives the asbaab for the ayah (which is rare), he always references a tafseer by a scholar. No self-interpretation at all.

[quote]And how can anyone avoid issues of Aqeedah and Fiqh while giving dars of Qur'an

I'll say it again: He does NOT go into fiqh or 'aqeedah. You wont even find a talk of his on youtube where he ever talks about a fiqhi verse. All his talks on youtube are based off of strictly non-fiqhi ayaat.

Even In his "Qur'an cover to cover" lectures in Bayyinah institute, he has a policy that he will not expound upon verses of ahkaam. He explicitly states that this is the policy of Bayyinah Institute. Anytime verses of ahkaam come up, he just gives a quick translation (maybe with some spiritual benefit/aspects of them) and moves on.

+6 -0Like x 1Agree x 1Winner x 4
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 04:30
Quote:
Qur'anic ayahs in the light of Hollywood movies.. how dangerous and absurd..

That "movie" was a cartoon about talking fish... and he used a scene in it to explain a simple style of the Qu'ran. If you watch the video you'll see how it wasn't absurd at all. You are picturing something way off in your mind.

Disclaimer: No comment made on the permissibility or non-permissibility of cartoons. Thats a different topic.

Critics of NAK should know a few things:

Does he teach Quranic sciences? NO
Does he teach science of tafseer? NO

Is he connecting millions of youth to the Qur'an? YES.

Almost all his videos are aimed towards youth (mostly those who may be non-practicing), so definitely no scholarly material. Please don't get overly preachy (im talking in general, not specifically you Dr sahab). He's exposing the beauty of the Qur'an to millions, and he's good at it.

Please watch some of his videos before judging. No good in making assumptions. His videos are simple, nothing in-depth. Not aimed at intellectuals at all.

However, for in-depth study of the Qur'an, go to a scholar. Definitely.
+5 -0Like x 2Agree x 1Winner x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 08:34
السلام عليكم

I was one of those guys who used to doubt him, in fact originally I even complained about it in the brothers section on SF, many of you will be aware of that thread.

But you know what, I got into it, I put my little differences aside and dived in, to be honest I've learnt a lot about the Quran from him. Yes I have whole tafseers sitting on my book shelf at home, but unfortunately I've never been able to read it until I started listening to NAK.

-Many many Ulema highly rate this guy, he ain't just some random guy, he knows his stuff, when he does tafseer he summarises it and even that he takes from 18-20 tafseers ( if you want I can try listing for you all the tafseers he uses) so my point is he's not mentioning nothing from himself

- he's made the Quran accessible for all people, his bayyinah tv is not called the Muslim Netflix for no reason, at 11$ a month you can gain access to his program and there's no contract, that's extremely cheap, name me another scholar who does ? Shariah Program is a top program everyone rates it, but even that you have to pay £65 a month and there's a waiting list. So I ask the haters of NAK name an Ulema/Shaykh who has made the Quran easier/accessible for masses ? Truth is their is hardly any, so don't hate.

- he runs seminars, where he clears people doubts and a lot of these seminars are attended by the kuffar, you should see his vid on YouTube where he explains the verse 'kill them wherever you find them', in fact you'll be blown away by majority of his videos

-if you want to know where he studied under who ( his lienage/sanad) then brother Muadh has posted it on the forum somewhere I'm sure he'll be willing to do it again

-it's not a good to act like a 'know it all', in fact this attitude disgusts me people read a few books sit with a few Mashaykh, spend some time in khurooj and other Deeni efforts and all of a sudden that become experts and if anything comes up it don't get pass their radars, my brothers pleasa don't be those guys as their is more harm than good in it by acting this way sadly for many this has become the norm, only if you knew.
-
+7 -0Like x 1Agree x 1Winner x 5
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 09:51

dr76 wrote:
View original post

W-Salam Dr Saheb,

He has done his courses under Dr Israr Ahmed (RA)'s Tanzeem-e-Islami (Faisalabad branch) and for forty years Dr Saheb (RA)'s placed Shaykhul-Hind's Tafseer in front of him and did lectures and so does everybody from Tanzeem, heavily based on works of Ulamah of Deoband.

Deobandees abandoned the location (Masjid) of Tafseer of Maulana Ahmed Ali Lahori (RA) and Dr Israr Ahmed Saheb (RA) started his Dars from that very location.

For decades on TV Dr Israr Ahmed (RA) debated with Barelwees, Modernists, Atheists, Secualrists and routed them and it was for the whole nation to see, Deobandees did nothing like this (forget TV but not even on Radio or conferences).

After serving the Deen for 40+ years the Ulamah of Deoband COULD NOT FIND:

1. A single financial scandal against Dr Israr Ahmed (RA), not a penny of embezellment
  2. A single womenising scandal against Dr Israr Ahmed (RA)
  3. His wife/daughters NEVER found without Niqab
  4. A single incident where he called against Taqleeed or Salafi'ism or heresy

So they fell back on the age old excuse that he wasn't an Alim.

They are NOT Ulamah (as in graduates of Darul-uloom) and that is correct but the issue is WHY are ULAMAH so disconnected from youth and mainstream that people are turning to them.

Second issue which is most pressing for Deobandees is to critically analyse this thread by London786, there are people on this who are refuting Aqeedah who are NOT ULAMAH and if by having Ijazahas these people on this pdf have become Ulamah then Dr Israr Ahmed (RA) and NAK are both also Ulamah because they also have Ijazahs.

So which way should the Deobandees plead? Labelling people Ulamah when it suits them and then taking the label off when it doesn't?

+7 -0Like x 2Winner x 4
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 09:52
MashaAllah, the guy is a "GEM". An inspiration.

For those who didn't know, this gem was born into a Muslim family but became an atheist and lived his life in disbelief until one day he was blown away by the Quran. It changed his life, he embraced Islam.

I'll be very honest, if he is a Salafi, I really don't care. What he has done and is doing is absolutely awesome.

As long as he doesn't take the route of other orators and start passing Fatwa, he will be a legend.

To me, NAK and MENK are today's generations up lifters. They know the lingo!
+6 -0Like x 3Agree x 1Winner x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 10:08
Listening to Nouman Ali khan's videos had a huge impact on me becoming a practicing Muslim. Alhamdulillah.
Arsalan and Jinn have mentioned a very important point, He usually doesn't speak about Fiqh or topics which he doesn't know. He concentrates on the linguistic miracles of the Quran and the lessons from the stories mentioned in the Quran.

He knows how exactly the youth thinks, and he answers exactly the doubts of the young Muslims. From the Deobandi side, I have seen this quality in Shaykh Hasan Ali. MashaAllah he also connects with the youth well.
+8 -0Like x 3Winner x 4
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 10:28
What I must mention here CLEARLY that is that Dr Israr Ahmed (RA) and most people at Tanzeem are not Strictly Hanafi Muqallids so I will be very surprised if NAK is Hanafi (Muqallid), they all generally do Taqleed but are not Deobandees in the sense of agreeing with or practicing Taqleed Shaksi.
+3 -0Like x 1
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 10:40
There is a fatwa on the askimam website relating to to Dr Israr posted yesterday
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 10:50
Alhumdulillah he's here in our ends (Edmonton Masjid, North London) delivering the Jumma khutbah 12:25 . 15 mins drive from me...so front row seats for me inshallah! ...and then he's also teaching Story Night from 7pm onwards at the same masjid on Friday...tickets sold out some weeks ago (alhumdulillah i brought my tickets back in Dec)

so far i've had the toufeek to attend his past 2 London classes ('Divine Speech' Dec 2011 and 'Story Night' Dec 2012). . i found both classes simply mind blowing in the way it made me connect with the meaning of the Quran
+4 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 10:55

Anonymous wrote:
View original post

Yes here is the Fatwa by Askimam.org

Here is son of Dr Israr Ahmed (RA) outlining his views on Shaykhul-Hind (RA) addressing a gatehring of Deobandi Ulamah and laymen:

Halalified YT Audio

Here is Dr Israr Ahmed (RA) himself on the issue in detail

Halalified YT Audio

Here is Dr Israr Ahmed (RA) again on PeaceTV (Zakir Naik) which is one of the last (mass) public speeches of his life, listen to what he is saying

Halalified YT Audio

Here is the scan of the page of the book which is:

1. Reference is misquoted by askimam
  2. Context is misquoted by askimam

+2 -0Like x 1
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 26th February 2014 11:01
The askimam website do not endorse Na'uman Ali Khan too. I am just saying. I have no views on the issue.
No post ratings

Jump to page: