Walahu'Alam
report post quote code quick quote reply
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#32 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 23:26
Quote:
This Dhikr that you were given is it general Dhikr or Sufiya Dhikr from a certain silsilah ?

VERY Basic
100 first kalimah
100 astaghfar

These weren't exactly prescribed, I was just asked if I could do them and I said, "Sure, inshaAllah, I'll do it"

But the weird thing is, I do these anyway but don't count, just randomly and any time and not just that, I do anything that comes to mind. I also most definitely do more than 100. Just that I noticed myself backtracking when I started the ones in specific. Got no idea, but inshaAllah, I won't let the fools trick me into thinking they've succeeded.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#33 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 23:27
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Nope, thats just your personal experience. Never have I had such an experience. In fact, sometimes I go through a period of 3-4 days where im doing regular dhikr (tasbeeh, durood, Ayah from surah Yunus, la hawla etc..), and I feel great. There a great bliss that covers my entire body, and I find myself not even thinking about sin. Only when I slack in these adhkaar does my spirituality suffer. So my problem is consistency. I stay consistent for a few days (during which I feel a spiritual high and protection from sin), and then somehow I get busy with work and dunya and start slacking, and then I seem to lose the spiritual spark.

So If I could just stay consistent, insha'Allah all is good.

I've even read some fataawa just now. The Muftiyan say that if one thinks he can do reform himself (i.e. without a shaykh), then he may do so. But it is Mustahhab to be connected with a shaykh. Reformation can be done with the basic adhkaar taught by Rasulullah (s.a.w.). It does not have to be some special dhikr that a shaykh provides you with. The only trick is to be consistent and have khushu' while doing it. It will have an amazing affect on your life.

May Allah make us pure. Ameen.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#34 [Permalink] Posted on 8th February 2014 23:39
(bism1)

Halalified YT Audio

This was a lecture by Mufti Abdur Rahman I had seen maybe 2 months ago, and it affected me greatly. Here is talking to university students (Yes, university students, who most likely don't have a shaykh!), and he encourages them to do all sorts of dhikr, and constant dhikr. Nowhere does he warn them of doing the "wrong type" of dhikr or "too much" dhikr, nor does he mention the need of a shaykh.

Just remember Allah how Rasulullah (s.a.w.) taught you. How can the remembrance of Allah and contemplation over his creation ever lead to anything but good?

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#35 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 03:56
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

Kindly read Bhai Dar At Taqwa's post again... one can do any number of Masnoon Adhkar.. but the specific Adhkar which Mashaikh prescribe in salasil are 'Tools' that are made to produce the desired effects in the saalik.. and when the motive is reached.. then it is further augmented to the next level.. or changed.. as we see the Muqabaat in silsila Naqshbandiya..

The link i have given in that post contains an excerpt from a book written by Hazrat Shaikh Zulfiqar Naqshbandi sahab (db) where he forbids anyone from doing such without having Bayat to a Shaikh..

"How can the remembrance of Allah and contemplation over his creation ever lead to anything but good?"

Surah Jinn is also a Surah from the Qur'an.. how can it ever harm anyone.. now if someone makes Niyyah on his own to read it a couple of hundred times in a ruined house.. for N number of days & see what happens.. then i dont think he shall remain the same person.. :-)

Iam not dissuading u from Masnoon Zikr Brother.. do it.. the Masnoon ones.. BUT the moment u think.. oh i think iam special.. lets do it MY way.. then thats the end of the road..

These are a few words by a dearest Shaikh when he was asked upon..

" We don't have a daleel,we have a huge background of experiments,proving that azkar/ashghal of Sulook without guidance may cause harmful side effects.To be honest,it is more of a technical issue rather than religious.You take a car out on your own to learn how to drive and there is every chance that you will have an accident.You take a tablet for any serious disease on your own and there are more chances of harm than good etc

But what puzzles me is the intention of starting a Muraqiba without being advised OR under the supervision of a Shaikh ....!

It means a few things :

1) You don't understand the objectives of Sulook at all.Sulook is not only Zikr,it is a whole lot of eslahe nafs.Thinking that you start Muraqiba and you will be cured of all batinini diseases is childish.

2) Your nafs is very independent and don't want to submit to a Shaikh,which is the first step towards FANA.

3) Your nafs thinks of himself as very wise.He thinks he knows what is better for him.

4)and finally why choose Muraqiba? Because there is a mystic touch to it ?

If the purpose was only Ajr,there are plenty of mansion awarad...no one can stop anyone from doing it.Insisting on Muraqiba only,means the intentions are not pure. The nafs wants not only it's own choice but a choice which gives it a feeling of 'Taqaddus'...something extra-ordinary,something unique....which differentiate him from a common man.NOW YOU SEE ? This opting for Muraqiba in itself speaks volumes about how deep rooted and widespread the cancer of 'ego' is....in such a person,and how by self treatment such a person is aggravating his condition which is already worse ?

5) To think that Muraqiba is the treatment of all the batinini diseases is a wrong concept in itself.The treatment of inner diseases is "Mujahida" and going against the wishes of the nafs,not providing nafs with further excuses and giving him a lollypop of Muraqiba.Obviously only a kamil Shaikh can do it.....Self treatment would not work. "

duas..

wa Assalam..
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#36 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 04:13
Quote:
Kindly read Bhai Dar At Taqwa's post again... one can do any number of Masnoon Adhkar.. but the specific Adhkar which Mashaikh prescribe in salasil are 'Tools' that are made to produce the desired effects in the saalik.. and when the motive is reached.. then it is further augmented to the next level.. or changed.. as we see the Muqabaat in silsila Naqshbandiya..

So why aren't the Masnoon adhkar enough for sulook? Is it not logical to say that the adhkar taught by Rasuullah (s.a.w.) would be most fitting for sulook? And you did not explain how these 'tools' which the shuyookh provide can be dangerous if done without their guidance. A story is not enough evidence, sorry. Are you telling me if I act upon the muraaqaba advised by Shaykh Hasan Ali something bad will happen?

The rest of your post is just assumptions about me. I won't waste my time with an essay answer, but here's something short:

1 - I can't connect with a shaykh, NOT because of my ego, but because I am simply not able to. My current lifestyle and dunyawi devotions prevent me from doing so. Keep in mind that not everyone can be blessed with the suhbat of a shaykh.

2 - Where did I say Muraaqaba is the cure to all baatini diseases? Kindly quote me on that please.

3 - I chose muraqaaba because (a) I've heard good things about it from Shuyookh and Muftiyan and (b) its something I've never tried seriously before.

4 - Im not doing things my way. All the ideas for muraaqaba I posted in the OP are from 'ulema and shuyookh.

I dont understand how you can claim to be a shaykh of tasawwuf and then judge me simply because I wanted to practice on the beautiful 'amal of muraaqaba. Immediately you say that I have an "ego" and that "my nafs thinks itself as very wise".

Quote:
Insisting on Muraqiba only,means the intentions are not pure.

This one is just laughable.

Make du'aa that Allah cure me of my ego and purify my intentions.

+0 -0Ameen x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#37 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 05:26
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

Oho..dont get upset my dear sweet brother.. :-) that repost ( of the shaikh) was in general..(not specifically adressed to u) not meaning to say that u have Ego and stuff.. Tauba.. who am i to say that Bhai... sorry if u took it that way..

"why aren't the Masnoon adhkar enough for sulook? Is it not logical to say that the adhkar taught by Rasuullah (s.a.w.) would be most fitting for sulook?"

The goal of our lives is to lead a life devoid of disobedience to Allah سبحانه وتعالى and His beloved Rasool (saw) and fulfill the obligations of Shari'ah.. that said.. when one completes Fardh salaah.. it would not be a sin if he misses on sunnah salaah.. But shall get reward if he does that... and if Allah سبحانه وتعالى gives taufeeq for two raka'ats of Nafl later on.. then indeed a Blessing Alhamdulillah..

The Masnoon Adhkar are part of sulook.. just like the two Rakaats of sunnah salaah.. but if someone is interested in the offer given by Allah سبحانه وتعالى in the famous Hadeeth e Qudusi.. meaning that my bondsman prays Nawafil to get close to me that i become his eyes through which he sees.. ears through which he listens..etc.. then know that there is Mujahida ahead.. for those who wants to get closer to Rabbul Alameen.. and reach the stage of Ihsaan which is the ultimate goal of sulook..

The Noble sahabah رضي الله عنهم reached there in the company of Hazrat Rasulullah (saw).. and the Taba'een (rah) reached there in the company of the sahabah رضي الله عنهم and so on..

so if one wants to reach it there today.. he has to get himself linked with those who have achieved it.. simple..

"I can't connect with a shaykh, NOT because of my ego, but because I am simply not able to. My current lifestyle and dunyawi devotions prevent me from doing so. Keep in mind that not everyone can be blessed with the suhbat of a shaykh".

Iam a worldly person too.. iam a Physician who works in the Emergency room.. and have to be on my toes most of the time.. iam Not asking u to head for a khanqah right away.. but just keep Islahi contact with someone through email or over the fone.. Bhai Muadh khan has given a number of links.. take ur own time.. see whom u find compatible with.. and there is no hurry to get bayat..

"Where did I say Muraaqaba is the cure to all baatini diseases? Kindly quote me on that please."

Bhai that excerpt was in general and wasnt pointing at u in person.. sorry if u took it that way..

"And you did not explain how these 'tools' which the shuyookh provide can be dangerous if done without their guidance"

As i have told u earlier.. these tools are meant for a specific purpose.. and have their own effects and side effects.. take for eg. Bara tasbeeh.. a very powerful zikr of the Chistiyya silsila.. but not suitable for one and all.. even people like Hazrat Shaikhul Hadees sahab Nawwar Allahu Marqadahu wouldnt give it at once.. the effects and side effects again vary from person to person.. so the zikr has to be increased or decreased at times..

And thats where a Shaikh comes into picture..

"Im not doing things my way. All the ideas for muraaqaba I posted in the OP are from 'ulema and shuyookh."

If some shaikh of Tasawwuf has specifically prescribed it to u then fine.. else there are many 'ideas' in books of Medicine that a layman would like to try and either kill himself or others.. :-)

"I dont understand how you can claim to be a shaykh of tasawwuf and then judge me simply because I wanted to practice on the beautiful 'amal of muraaqaba"

Subhan Allah.. when did i ever claim to be a Shaikh of Tasawwuf.. kindly show me a single post on SF where i have said so..

Now the question again.. why only Muraqabah.. why not Paas Anfas.. Habs Dam.. Zikr e Jarub.. salatul Maqoosh.. etc.. they are also very beautiful.. why pick n choose..

If Shaikh Hasan Ali (db) is a Shaikh of Tasawwuf and has recommended it to u.. then go ahead and keep contact with him.. simple as that..

wa Assalam..

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#38 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 05:50
Quote:
that repost ( of the shaikh) was in general..(not specifically adressed to u) not meaning to say that u have Ego and stuff.. Tauba.. who am i to say that Bhai... sorry if u took it that way..

I'll take your word for it. No hard feelings.

Quote:
Subhan Allah.. when did i ever claim to be a Shaikh of Tasawwuf.. kindly show me a single post on SF where i have said so..

You just seem knowledgeable in this field, so I just thought...
But even so, you are a "student' of tasawwuf.

Quote:
Now the question again.. why only Muraqabah.. why not Paas Anfas.. Habs Dam.. Zikr e Jarub.. salatul Maqoosh.. etc.. they are also very beautiful.. why pick n choose..

I've already answered this question.

Quote:
but just keep Islahi contact with someone through email or over the fone.. Bhai Muadh khan has given a number of links.. take ur own time.. see whom u find compatible with.. and there is no hurry to get bayat..

Yes, Insha'Allah I'll try this. Email yes, but not so sure about phone contact. I don't want want to bother a busy shaykh with my petty questions. For e-mail they can choose to reply when they have time.

JazakAllah for all your replies shaykh.

wassalaam.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#39 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 05:58
I think Mufti Abdur Rahman Manghera and Sheikh Hasan Ali recommended muraqabah is for general purposes to get one started of initially down this line. However as one progresses then he/she will automatically feel the need of a guide as without one you'll feel lost. Also in my opinion people who will start muraqabah won't do it like a wazeefah regularly on a daily basis but every now and again here and there. Later once you progress or enjoy it even if you do it regular you'll feel the need for a guide to step it up.

I think brother dr76 is just exercising caution and making us aware of the pitfalls that come with this path, do remember he's been in the field for many many years. I posted a link in the start of the thread to brother 'Fusus's' post he also recommends a certain way as how you can do it, he even made a thread on SF about it, something which I can't find at the moment. Brother dr76 is just recommending caution that's all.

I think best bit would be to see if anyone has the contact details of Mufti Manghera and to email him directly and see what he says in regards to this, obviously they are not just going around recommending it for the sake of it. I think brother Abu Mohammad might have his email address. Maybe even email the people bro Muadh has linked in this thread see what they say about doing 'muraqabah', on your own without a shaykh. They might say generally is okay but once you progress then you need a guide, drop them an email bro Arslan and let us know what they say. However I'm more interested in mufti sahebs verdict, I do love his talks.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#40 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 08:50
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

(salam)

I m also someone like you, who thinks its ok to dhikr by ourselves. But I m thinking about only masnoon dikr, that too something like 100 times or maybe 200times. I think the 'side effects' warned by the shaykhs will happen to people who do it in the 1000s. I have also heard it varies from person to person. I once saw a post in sf, that someone recited ayatul kursi thousands of times and he started acting strange, he went around the village and started dragging every guy out of the house to the Mosque for the congregation prayer. lol.

I too was very skeptical initially about the side effects, but the real life incidents mentioned are so many to ignore and reliable shaykhs of tassawuf attest to this phenomenon, so I too believe it can happen. But doesn't stop me from doing zikr, But I don't reach that many numbers anyway. I like the analogy of over the counter drugs. But in this day and age its nice to be in email contact with a shaykh. I do email them occasionally to get pointers.

MashaAllah this is a good thread, very informative regarding this topic.
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#41 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 13:52
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#42 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 17:53
Sulaiman84 wrote:
View original post

Masha'Allah, that was a very ineresting read. JazakAllah.

Ok, so getting a better understanding of this. Basically, If I want to progress into higher states of spirituality (i.e. higher than average), then I'll need the help of a shaykh. However, as mentioned before it will be very difficult for me to physically be in the presence and suhbah of a shaykh. Will a similar outcome be possible through a simple e-mail connection with a shaykh? Im guessing not, but thats better than nothing, right?

I have no hope in myself for reaching the level of ihsan as of now. Im confident that this will only happen with serious bayah to a shaykh (May Allah grant me the taufeeq to someday give bayah to a shaykh). There's just too much evil and corruption. I can barely get my regular 'awrad of Qur'an and dhikr done due to distractions from dunya, so it will be difficult to fully devote myself to a shaykh. But at the very least, I can hope to progress in my spirituality by at least keeping online connections with a shaykh. This is what I plan on doing.

Maulana Mu'adh gave me several e-mails to shuyukh, I intend to e-mail them to at least get started with the basics.

Another question: What order out of the 4 is best for me? Or do I even need to worry about that right now?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#43 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 18:57
Arslan. wrote:
View original post

"Basically, If I want to progress into higher states of spirituality (i.e. higher than average), then I'll need the help of a shaykh"

Lets put it this way.. if we want to gain the love of Allah سبحانه وتعالى.. Ikhlaas.. and a life of peity & Taqwa.. then we have to be in the company of those who have them..

The best we can hope is khaatma on Imaan.. & إن شاء الله we shall be raised on that day with whom we loved.. so a profitable deal after all..

"However, as mentioned before it will be very difficult for me to physically be in the presence and suhbah of a shaykh. Will a similar outcome be possible through a simple e-mail connection with a shaykh? Im guessing not, but thats better than nothing, right?"

why not.. there is indeed barakah in that.. and later on.. one can plan to spend some time as well.. a few mins.. an hour.. as time permits.. إن شاء الله

"I have no hope in myself for reaching the level of ihsan as of now. Im confident that this will only happen with serious bayah to a shaykh (May Allah grant me the taufeeq to someday give bayah to a shaykh)."

Never lose hope brother.. who knows Allah سبحانه وتعالى may just love a single deed of your's and lower his rope of love in ur heart..

Here is an incident quoted by Hazrat Maulana Shah Wasiullah sahab Ilahabadi (rah) which i had posted on sf..

" A buzurg was once passing by a fort.. high above was seated the king gazing at the goings on down below.. the king wished to speak to him.. lowered a rope and signalled to come up..

The buzurg climbed up and presented himself.. after salams.. the king asked him.. ' Tell me how did u reach Allah ..?' and the buzurg replied..' The same way i reached u..'

Puzzled.. the king asked him to clarify.. and the buzurg replied..' in the same way u lowered me the rope and i reached u so easily bypassing all gates and durbans (gatekeepers).. similarly Allah jalla jalalahu lowered the rope of his love in my heart.. and i climbed up..'

Hazrat Maulana Shah Wasiullah sahab ilahabadi (rah) further says that for the king to notice the buzurg coming his way.. the buzurg had to leave his home.. walk for a distance and then gain the sight of the king.. similarly to gain the rope of love from Allah سبحانه وتعالى.. one has to do mujahida.. toil in his way.. then only one shall deserve his benovelent gaze.."

www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?94586-An-observat... ( This thread is also beneficial)

Bayat can come later on.. getting connected for Islah is Primary..

" I can barely get my regular 'awrad of Qur'an and dhikr done due to distractions from dunya, so it will be difficult to fully devote myself to a shaykh."

Masha Allah. ur regular awrad and Dhikr is also a great blessing. The only thing needed is a life devoid of sins.. we should not do any amal that would disobey Allah and his rasool (saw).. else one may do a great deal of Zikr but indulge in Haraam.. like filling a overhead tank all the night and leaving the tap open in the morning..

Also remember that being a Mureed does not mean acting like a robot.. u have a teacher in the Zaahiri deen so u have one for Batin.. adaab are same for both (well almost)..

"But at the very least, I can hope to progress in my spirituality by at least keeping online connections with a shaykh. This is what I plan on doing."

so go ahead Masha Allah..

"Another question: What order out of the 4 is best for me? Or do I even need to worry about that right now?"

Alhamdulillah our Mashaikh of deoband do bayat in all four salasil.. and as the Mureed progresses Asbaq are given according to his temperament..

May Allah سبحانه وتعالى make it easy for u.. Ameen.

wa Assalam..

+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#44 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 19:34
JazakAllah for your replies shaykh.

If I may ask: In case I am not able to keep regular contact with shuyookh, may I keep contact with you? Since you have been in the field for years, perhaps you can serve as a guide to me and instruct me on the do's and dont's when it comes to dhikr, and maybe even give a few basic prescriptions etc... (You'll probably say that you're not qualified, but im talking at a very basic level here). Please think about it. The more connections I have, the better.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#45 [Permalink] Posted on 9th February 2014 19:39
Bro Sulaiman

Look what you did to me man, I am now hooked on that book ;)

Will try to read all of it insha'Allah.
+1 -0Like x 1

Jump to page: