Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Taking Ijazah for self study

You have contributed 7.1% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 00:52
Assalamu'alaikum.

Black Turban wrote:
View original post

Your words: "I don't say self study is harmful but it should be done after taking permission from knowledgeable Ulama."

Re:

Really? This is something I heard first time. Why would even one should take permission for self study? Do you mean you can't pick a book yourself to read? But many do so.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -1Dislike x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 01:00
If you don't know how to apply the verses of the Quran or the Hadith, you will be going astray.

You speaking like a true Ghair Muqallid.

There are plenty of articles in the Taqleed and True Salaf sections. Please read them before making such comments.
+1 -2Dislike x 2Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 01:03
I understand Taqleed. which is wajib upon layman.

Brother Black Turban what do you exactly mean by "I don't say self study is harmful but it should be done after taking permission from knowledgeable Ulama." I may have misunderstood.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 01:05
This is what happens when you self study and try to work things out for yourself.

You need to know how to use the tools of studying, otherwise, no matter how many books you read, you will never know how to apply it's rules.

+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 01:11
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Do you mean you can't pick a book to read, before reading you'd have to take permission from Ulama?

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 01:19
No, we read books that have already been explained and taught before.

What we don't do is pick up books from a mixture of schools, or pick up the Qur'an or a Hadith book and try to understand them ourselves.

We need to know the science behind these topics. We must not take things literally.
+3 -0Like x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 01:21
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Bangladesh
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 02:06
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Sister, perhaps I couldn't make my point clear. I'm extremely sorry for that. I meant none of us (layperson) should try to educate ourselves. We need guidance of qualified teacher. Because how can we distinguish between Haqq and Baatil? Sunnah and Bida'h? How can someone know that a certain book contains no error? Is Aqeedah of the author correct or erroneous?

If we assume that a certain book is correct in all aspects eg. Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi etc, still self study is dangerous. Because every Hadith has a specific meaning. If a person doesn't study Hadith under guidance of a teacher, then he/she will mess everything up. The science of Tafseer, Hadith and Fiqh is very sensitive. Therefore, we should be extremely cautious. Like anatomy/genetics/quantum mechanics/machine design, Islamic sciences also depend on teachers to learn.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 03:23
Quote:
Abu Muhammed's words: You speaking like a true Ghair Muqallid.

There are plenty of articles in the Taqleed and True Salaf sections. Please read them before making such comments.[/quote]

This was quite annoying. I asked a question. And I mean just a simple question.

The question was directed to user Black Turban so you should have let him answer before making such comments.

Quote:
Black Turban's words: Sister, perhaps I couldn't make my point clear. I'm extremely sorry for that.

It's okay. And don't be sorry.

[quote] Black Turban's words: I meant none of us (layperson) should try to educate ourselves. We need guidance of qualified teacher. Because how can we distinguish between Haqq and Baatil? Sunnah and Bida'h? How can someone know that a certain book contains no error? Is Aqeedah of the author correct or erroneous?

If we assume that a certain book is correct in all aspects eg. Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi etc, still self study is dangerous. Because every Hadith has a specific meaning. If a person doesn't study Hadith under guidance of a teacher, then he/she will mess everything up. The science of Tafseer, Hadith and Fiqh is very sensitive. Therefore, we should be extremely cautious. Like anatomy/genetics/quantum mechanics/machine design, Islamic sciences also depend on teachers to learn.

I understand this. Jazakallahu khair.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 11:47
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Apologies if you were annoyed. To warn someone is better then to wait for them to have a misunderstanding.

Better late than never :)

I'm sure you meant it in the best manner, جزاك الله خيرا
+1 -0Like x 1
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 11th January 2014 18:07
sister maria, yes there are certain books which are not for laymen or women to read without permission, as one might go astray, or may not understand it wrongly, or the book can be at times too heavy for one, it depends sister..

there is nothing strange about it my sister, its for our own good
+0 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 12th January 2014 00:50

Quote:
abu mohammed's words:Apologies if you were annoyed.

Barakallahu fikum.

muslim11 wrote:
View original post

Jazakallahu khair.
No post ratings
Rank Image
India
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 12th January 2014 06:22
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

(bism1)
(salaam)

Sister, self study isnt prohibited but it's better if done under the guidance of Ulama.

You read one 'lesson' daily and then consult to any alim that what you've understood, tell him. Sometimes we understand wrongly and begin to adhere to it, consequently, we're misled.

''wa yudhillu bihi kasiran wa yahdihi bihi kasira.

Also I do self study but I never forget to keep in touch with my elders. Alhamdulillah I'm highly benefited by this way of self-study. My elders guide me if I'm wrong.

+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 13th January 2014 01:29
Arfatzafar wrote:
View original post

Quite right.

I always ask, as I always doubt myself. But people really seem to have a problem with it. If they're perfect, know everything and don't doubt anything, by now they must know that not everyone in this world are like them, they seriously need to change their behavior towards me if not anyone else. I have not owe anyone any explanation for my questions that I must always explain. seriously I'm tired of giving people explanation that when I'm asking a question then it means I'm simply asking a question.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Bangladesh
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 13th January 2014 16:23
Maria al-Qibtiyya wrote:
View original post

Sister, from SF experience you know how trolls keep themselves cloaked in the form of learner. In fact trolling has made peace loving users paranoid. You are just a victim of paranoia, nothing else. You can ask sister Acacia to provide security for you- as a sort of chaperone.
+3 -0Like x 3