Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taalibah, Acacia, abu mohammed, Seifeddine-M, dr76, Maria al-Qibtiyya, samah
1 guest appreciates this topic.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 6th December 2013 13:37
The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم said:"I do not eat while reclining. I am but a slave of Allah and I eat like a slave of Allah.'' and ''I eat like a slave eats and I sit like a slave sits.''

Nabi صلى الله عليه و سلم never sat at a dining table for meals. He صلى الله عليه و سلم sat in one of three positions while eating:

a) In the Tashahhud position (like in Salaat).
b) Same as above with the right knee raised.
c) On his heels, in the squatting posture.

How many of us (habitually) sit on the floor and eat...?

Plz vote :)
report post quote code quick quote reply
+8 -0Like x 6Winner x 2
Rank Image
Chennai
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 6th December 2013 18:11
Alhamdulillah as far as possible I always sit on the floor while eating.

In office while eating I remove my footwear and sit in chair by folding my legs. Initially it will be little dis comfortable, but will get used to it.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Lahore,Pakistan
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 08:47
One of a prominent tablighi told my husband that the sunnah is to sit while eating so one can sit on the dining table and eat (without folding the legs) I was a bit amazed so you can be popular in Tabligh bit if you are not an Alim then you tend to make these kind of mistakes if you don't stick to your six numbers
No post ratings
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 10:04
is there really a need to generalise and have a go (or it seems that way) at the effort of tabligh. the guy is a muslim who just happens to take part in the effort. yeah i agree he was wrong for saying to sit at dining table is sunnah LOL but theres no need to mention that he is prominent in tabligh, by doing so you have just given all those who are reading this a negative view of the blessed effort due to ONE person making a silly comment. If a single aalim makes 1 mistake do you point the finger at all ulama??
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 10:17
No post ratings
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 10:26
I recently heard from a Mufti Saheb that option C is not right..meaning its not a sunnah. (Note: I'm yet to verify)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 13:09
Desi tadka wrote:
View original post

It is the eating position during war, but not sure if its sunnah or not. Once I spent time with an Alim in bombay, he was eating in squatting position.
No post ratings
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 13:50
is there some hikmat behind it being the eating position during war?? I've heard brothers say it compresses the stomach so you wont over eat
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 14:11
There's a section on etiquettes of eating in 'islahi khutabah' by Mufti Taqi uthmani uthmani....appreciate it, if someone could find it and post it here. It covers all aspects of eating including eating on the floor, dining table etc.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 14:11
السلام عليكم

Excerpts from The Sublime conduct of Nabi (saw) (Ash-Shama'il Al Kubra)

Page:81,83.

بسم الله الرحمن اللرحيم

wa Assalam..
+6 -0
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 14:23
allahuakbar. how far we have strayed from the deen of Allah, we cant even eat in a manner befitting to humans let alone follow the sunnah (obviously not everyone)
+0 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Lahore,Pakistan
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 14:49
I don't want to answer brothers reply here because it will be off topic but I am a staunch tablighi too it is when our tablighis negate the importance of ilm in Tabligh then these situations arise rest I'll answer in random thread plz one should not be that sensitive towards a particular effort that one cannot stand criticism
+3 -0Like x 1Agree x 1Winner x 1
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 15:01
inshaAllah im not trying to cause argument or offence inshaAlah, i pray you accept this as advice.
your attacking the whole effort because of one man saying something (even though he said something silly) and again your categorising/stereotyping. many ulama take part in the effort and many brothers try to seek knowledge (ilm is one of the 6 points) its not about being sensitive, yes there are issues that need to be addressed (not just with tabligh but all eforts of deen) however painting a negative picture of the effort for the whole world to see isn't the way to move forward, infact its taking a step back because it pushes the brothers who are much into seeking knowledge away from the tabligh effort.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 15:11
User abc123, Jazakallah for your input. We would really appreciate if you could sign in and post. Posting as a guest will mean you will have to wait until an Authorizer gets online and clears your post. It's unnecessary work.

Jazakallah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Lahore,Pakistan
Sister
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 7th December 2013 15:16
People are quite aware nowadays and well informed no one takes a step back due to generalized comments they make their own research and we have discussed a lot more about Tabligh here it's an open forum and discussions are done here it's the niyah that makes the difference May Allah grant myself above all ikhalas of niyah May I be able to follow the sunnah of Nabi (saw) especially the sunnah of sitting on the floor while eating
+2 -0Ameen x 2