Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 29th October 2013 04:31
(bism1)

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Insha'Allah I would appreciate some guidance on where to look for this:

Quote:
I was listening to a talk where a story about a dog was narrated. The lesson in the story is about pride. I wonder if members here can help me locate the narration - whose story is it and what is the exact narration insha'Allah.

It goes something like this: it is raining and the roads are muddy. A dog is sleeping on the sidewalk where there is no mud. The person wants to walk but if they go through the street, they'll get muddy so a thought enters their mind that they'll just wake the dog and have it move since it is an impure animal anyway, it doesn't matter if it gets muddy or not but their clothes are clean... and right away, it enters his heart that "your clothes may remain clean but you would have soiled your heart with pride thinking that you're better than a dog... if your clothes get dirt, you can wash them right way; but, if your heart gets soiled, it will take a lot of effort and years to clean it."

The person later said: "I learned tasawwuf from a dog."

Alhamdulillah, it was said that the narration could either be from Maulana Rumi رحمة الله عليه, Hasan al-Basri رحمة الله عليه, or Bahauddin Naqshibandi رحمة الله عليه. I was not successful in locating anything specific through a search on the Internet.

Alhamdulillah, one other suggestion was provided by User Invalidum who suggested it might be Shaykh Abdur Rahman Jami رحمة الله عليه, though he can't be sure. Again, I was not successful in locating anything specific through the Internet.

There is a sea of information out there and I don't know where to turn, where to look. I am not familiar enough with any of the above listed so it is a daunting task and then I don't know if I'm delving into something I shouldn't be - in terms of what I actually end up reading while searching for a simple story.

Help would be much appreciated insha'Allah.

جزاك الله خيرا
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 29th October 2013 05:54
this one?

One day while crossing a narrow bridge, a dog approached from the other side. To avoid brushing against the dog, Baayazid pulled his cloak towards himself. The dog spoke: "Why did you do this? If I am dry, there is no harm in your garment touching me. If I am moist, a little water can cleanse your cloak. But, even the seven oceans cannot purify you of your pride. Baayazid said: "You have spoken the truth. While there is zaahiri (external) impurity in you, there is baatini (spiritual) impurity in me. Come live with me so that I may be purified."
The dog: "We cannot live together. You are the Maqbool (accepted and honoured) leader of mankind while I am mardood (accursed and buffered). Secondly, I do not hoard a bone for the next day while you hoard food for tomorrow." Baayazid lamented: "Alas! When I am not deserving of the company of even a dog, how can I gain Allah's Proximity?"

Its HADHRAT BAAYAZID BUSTAAMI رحمة الله عليه

Source : Scattered Pearls
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 29th October 2013 06:04
جزاك الله خيرا Did he later say he learned tasawwuf from a dog?

The story is brilliant and sounds so much like the one I heard but it isn't exactly the same on all details - though the lesson is.

Here is the story I heard (at around minute 7:05).
No post ratings
Rank Image
Muftisays Forum
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 29th October 2013 06:12
I have heard same story in hazrathji's(shaykh zulfiqar Naqshbandi) bayan which is in urdu.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 29th October 2013 06:18
Acacia wrote:
View original post

I can find only this from the book. There is nothing like he learnt tassawuf from the dog.
But scholars use multiple rivayat to explain/narrate some subject; even sometimes wordings differ.

Another version - Took this from Heart Opener blog(Mercy of Allah user in SF)
One day, when Shaykh Bayazid was walking through a street, suddenly a dog appeared, approaching him slowly. Being cautious and not wanting his clothes to be in contact with the dog, Shaykh Bayazid pulled up his clothes.

Unexpectedly, the dog was communicating to Shaykh Bayazid with a voice like human," If my fur is dry and accidentally comes into contact with your clothes, there is no need for you to have your clothes cleansed. However, if my skin happens to be wet, all you need to do is to have your clothes cleansed the way God prescribed. But then the prejudice attitude inside you will not be washed away even if you use all the water obtained from seven rivers. The internal or spiritual sins are difficult to clean."

Shaykh Bayazid said," Dear dog, you are very intelligent. Please come and stay with me for a while."

"No, we can't stay together as I'm being despised by humans while you are glorified in this world. Furthermore, I do not store any food for the next day while you store your needs for the whole year," replied the dog.

Hearing the words of wisdom from the dog, Shaykh Bayazid whispered to himself:" If even a dog refuses to accompany me, am I eligible to be close to God and attend His functions? All the Praises for God who has shown all the flaws in me and guiding human beings through the minor things.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 29th October 2013 06:27
SubhanAllah! The underlined portion is intense alhamdulillah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 21:13
Acacia wrote:
View original post

The story is an 'eye opener' indeed.

May I respectfully point out that certain titles are specified : like عليه السلام for أنبياء ' similarly رضى الله عنهم for Sahaba and رحمت الله عليه for awlia.Obviously it does not matter if we say May Allah swt be راضى with a Wali.....but as our Akabir says : گر فرق مراتب نہ کنی ذندیقی.

Please don,t mind a jahil like me....I am not even worth writing on such such subjects...but that is what I heard from Uluma.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 21:21
joy wrote:
View original post

JazakAllah khayran for pointing this out. I entered the wrong 'code' initially (ra ) rather than (rah ). Corrected now. JazakAllah khayran.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 21:24
salaam

i thought we are meant to keep our clothes and body in a pure state? why would it be wrong to take precaution from accidentally making our clothes impure? or is this story more to do with pride?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2013 22:08
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

wa Alaikum Assalam..

Just like it had to do with Sabr.. of Hazrat Ayyub (Alaihisalam) when he was being tested.. that worms infested his body.. and whenever a worm came out.. he would put it back..

wa Assalam..
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 00:53
dr76 wrote:
View original post
Yaqoob AS or Ayub AS?
+3 -0Agree x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2013 02:57
Servant.Of.Allah wrote:
View original post

Typo brother.. corrected.. Jazakallah khair..
+1 -0Like x 1