Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

BREAKING NEWS!: Mass riots in Turkey. Possible revolution.

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 1st June 2013 02:57
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
Rank Image
Heavens Thunder is o
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd June 2013 10:26
Revolution is so cheap nowadays, just an overnight happening no? LOL
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd June 2013 11:05
in turkeys 2011 elections based on a voter turnout of near 85% (which is huge) Erdogan's party won 49.7% of the vote. im sure his position is safe...not maybe as strong as 2011 but safe enough. I guess if push came to shove and his party got their supporters out to protest you'll have hundreds of thousands waving his party's banners. Also im sure theres clear vested geopolitical interests of other neighbouring countries (and their 'alllies/buddies') at stake so most likely external 'players' are supporting the current protests also ......
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd June 2013 13:55
salaam (why is it most people on MS dont say or reply to salaam as much?)

in turkeys 2011 elections based on a voter turnout of near 85% (which is huge) Erdogan's party won 49.7% of the vote.

so this is a case of the minority trying to force their opinion on a democratically elected government which was elected by the majority?

im sure his position is safe...

there is no telling what can happen. if the media and the west get behind the dissenters, then through media manipulation and outside interference anything could happen.

not maybe as strong as 2011 but safe enough. I guess if push came to shove and his party got their supporters out to protest you'll have hundreds of thousands waving his party's banners.

going by the current situation that would probably kick start a civil war!

Also im sure theres clear vested geopolitical interests of other neighbouring countries (and their 'alllies/buddies') at stake so most likely external 'players' are supporting the current protests also ......

absolutely EVERYONE should understand and know this without even the need to say it! the whole world and it's economy is interlinked and any changes will affect the whole world. it should be a given thing that external players would NEVER pass up the chance of manipulating changes to their favour.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd June 2013 15:38
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd June 2013 21:04
AssalaamsWW. (was gonna type a waslmsww in my OG post above but didnt see a salaams to reply to. facepalm to myself in not making salaams myself)

1 - judging by the 2011 voter numbers, if there broadly the same now, then imho yes: (vocal/violent) minority vs (silent) majority. Most of the supporters of Erdogan i think is in the countryside and quite alot also in the economic/business community as he's made businesses much more well off then they were before his party came into power.

2 - very true.

3 - yes...the fear then is the military might then try again to overthrow the government (as per before) based on "looking after peoples unity and founding (secular) principles of the republic of turkey. etc etc blah blah"

4 - increasingly Erdogan was over the past 3-4 years starting to mould and assert a more independent foreign policy which in the past favoured we know who. Financially due to the way he's worked his economic polices (and made the turkish economy much more stronger) has more or less become independent of seeking external loans (so a big two fingers up and the IMF)...many other issues and of course the fact that he and those in his party are overtly practising and proud muslims = defi leaves 'others' with a back problem wrt their geopolitical interest, especially with them loose some power already over the past few years i.e. Egypt, Tunisia etc and the increasing power/influence of Iran.
No post ratings