Please vote to view the results or click here to see results
Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
sweetmuslimahk1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2017 10:03

Here's How Google Tracks You (And What You Can Do About It)

Ever get the feeling you're being watched?

It's because you are – and, as Visual Capitalist's Jeff Desjardins details, for a rough proxy of this, use the browser extension Ghostery to see how many tracking scripts are watching you on a typical media site. (It doesn't work for everything, but a large media site like Vice.com has 50+ trackers, with 40 of them focused on advertising).

Capturing this user data helps sites sell their inventory to advertisers, but a select few companies operate in this capacity at a whole different level. Google and Facebook are the best of examples of this, as nearly $0.60 of every dollar spent on digital advertising goes to them. They both have the sophistication and ubiquity to capture incredible amounts of information about you.

GOOGLE IS EVERYWHERE

Today's infographic, which comes to us from Mylio, focuses in on Google in particular.

The search giant is massive in size, and there is a good chance you tap into Googleverse in some way:

Global market penetration for Android is 61-81%.

Google has a 78.8% market share for online search.

The company generates $67.4 billion in annual ad revenue.

Google processes two trillion searches annually.

30-50 million websites use Google Analytics to for tracking.

There are 700,000 apps available in the Google Play store.

82% of videos watched online come from YouTube.

In total, Google has at least 79 products and services.

According to Google's documentation, it uses these services to pull out information on the “things you do”, “things you create”, and the things that make you unique.

SEE WHAT GOOGLE COLLECTS

All in all, Google tracks your activity history, location history, audio history, and device history. It also builds a profile for you for serving ads – age, gender, location, income, and other demographic data.

You can view and actually download this history by using a tool called Google Takeout.

Many people understand that their data helps support advertising revenues on websites they enjoy. Others are rightly concerned about their privacy, and how their information is used. Regardless of which category you fit in, becoming informed about how privacy on the internet works will help you craft an experience that best fits your preferences.

Powered by News Republic
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd March 2018 08:17
```Hello! Is this Gordon's Pizza?

No sir, it's Google's Pizza.

Did I dial the wrong number?

No sir, Google bought the pizza store.

Oh, alright - then I’d like to place an order please.

Okay sir, do you want the usual?

The usual? You know what my usual is?

According to the caller ID, the last 15 times you’ve ordered a 12-slice with double-cheese, sausage, and thick crust.

Okay - that’s what I want this time too.

May I suggest that this time you order an 8-slice with ricotta, arugula, and tomato instead?

No, I hate vegetables.

But your cholesterol is not good.

How do you know?

Through the subscribers guide. We have the results of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

Maybe so, but I don’t want the pizza you suggest – I already take medicine for high cholesterol.

But you haven’t taken the medicine regularly. 4 months ago you purchased from Drugsale Network a box of only 30 tablets.

I bought more from another drugstore.

It's not showing on your credit card sir.

I paid in cash.

But according to your bank statement you did not withdraw that much cash.

I have another source of cash.

This is not showing on your last tax form, unless you got it from an undeclared income source.

To HELL With Ur Pizza..!!
ENOUGH!!
I'm sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp. I'm going to an island without internet, where there’s no cellphone line, and no one to spy on me ...

I understand sir, but you’ll need to renew your PASSPORT ... it expired 5 weeks ago'''
+5 -0Like x 2Winner x 3Creative x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 14th March 2019 12:50
A little reminder of PRIVACY (But hey, we got nothing to hide!)

myaccount.google.com/data-and-personalization

You can pause your activity or make it live. Plus many more features and settings

Personally, I've got some on pause and some on live - otherwise, haveing to use the internet without knowing your activity can be a nightmare. It's got it's pro and cons.
+2 -0
Rank Image
MARS
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 18th March 2019 17:07
In the times similar to the times of Ashaab e Kahaf, if anyone living in urban areas with internet access thinks or believes that he can remain anonymous whether he/she uses google or not, is a fool of the highest order.

If Allah wills then one will be caught and if Allah doesn't will then one will not be caught. It is Allah who controls the universe and it is He who controls the hearts and minds. So keep doing the right work and keep telling and spreading the truth in as unambiguous way as possible.

As far as the governments and agencies are concerned, if they want to convict you of something then they don't need suspicious emails or suspicious content for that. Don't expect rules and morals from these morons. Develop your trust and connection with Allah and be brave. May Allah protect our iman at all times and in all situations.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 5th July 2020 15:54
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Not practical. That would be the end of a lot of useful apps.

Besides, going by the government's track record there is no guarantee that turning off GPS won't be somehow bypassed. Phones can be compromised even when they are off.

Track and trace app is a good idea as long as the tech is not abused. But it definitely will be.
+0 -0Agree x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 7th July 2020 03:54
there are more policies on data, privacy, etc.. but because of the love for the virtual presence and the new social beliefs which we think as the thumb rule to exist in today's society, we have compromised our own values.
+0 -0Agree x 2
Rank Image
London
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 14th July 2020 01:46
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

My device has an update today for the first time in over a year from HTC.

I'm not expecting any updates and will remain on Android 8 until I upgrade my phone.

But since I got a system update, I tried to figure out what it was.

Anyways, I couldn't find anything special or different.

But I did notice that my covid19 option is "off"
2714-Screenshot_20200714-013939.png
Downloads: 23
    [66.76 kB]
+2 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 14th July 2020 08:17
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Salaam.

Just checked mine. Mine has also automatically changed. It's probably the same on everyone's device.

I'm on android 7 and have no intention of updating.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 6th June 2021 22:35
www.wired.co.uk/article/google-chrome-browser-data

It’s time to ditch Chrome from GOOGLE as well as collecting your data, Chrome also gives Google a huge amount of control over how the web works

Despite a poor reputation for privacy, Google’s Chrome browser continues to dominate. The web browser has around 65 per cent market share and two billion people are regularly using it. Its closest competitor, Apple’s Safari, lags far behind with under 20 per cent market share. That’s a lot of power, even before you consider Chrome’s data collection practices. 

Is Google too big and powerful, and do you need to ditch Chrome for good? Privacy experts say yes. Chrome is tightly integrated with Google’s data gathering infrastructure, including services such as Google search and Gmail – and its market dominance gives it the power to help set new standards across the web. Chrome is one of Google’s most powerful data-gathering tools.

Google is currently under fire from privacy campaigners including rival browser makers and regulators for changes in Chrome that will spell the end of third-party cookies, the trackers that follow you as you browse. Although there are no solid plans for Europe yet, Google is planning to replace cookies with its own ‘privacy preserving’ tracking tech called FLoC, which critics say will give the firm even more power at the expense of its competitors due to the sheer scale of Chrome’s user base.

Chrome’s hefty data collection practices are another reason to ditch the browser. According to Apple’s iOS privacy labels, Google’s Chrome app can collect data including your location, search and browsing history, user identifiers and product interaction data for “personalisation” purposes. Google says this gives you the ability to enable features such as the option to save your bookmarks and passwords to your Google Account. But unlike rivals Safari, Microsoft’s Edge and Firefox, Chrome links this data to devices and individuals.

Although Chrome legitimately needs to handle browsing data, it can siphon off a large amount of information about your activities and transmit it to Google, says Rowenna Fielding, founder and director of privacy consultancy Miss IG Geek. “If you’re using Chrome to browse the internet, even in private mode, Google is watching everything you do online, all the time. This allows Google to build up a detailed and sophisticated picture about your personality, interests, vulnerabilities and triggers.”

When you sync your Google accounts to Chrome, the data slurping doesn’t stop there. Information from other Google-owned products including its email service Gmail and Google search can be combined to form a scarily accurate picture. Chrome data can be added to your geolocation history from Google Maps, the metadata from your Gmail usage, your social graph – who you interact with, both on and offline – the apps you use on your Android phone, and the products you buy with Google Pay. “That creates a very clear picture of who you are and how you live your life,” Fielding says.

As well as gathering information about your online and offline purchases, data from Google Pay can be used “in the same way as data from other Google services,” says Fielding. “This is not just what you buy, but also your location, device contacts and information, and the links those details provide so you can be identified and profiled across multiple datasets.”

Google’s power goes even further than its own browser market share. Competitor browsers such as Microsoft’s Edge are based on the same engine, Chromium. “So under the hood they are still a form of Chrome”, says Sean Wright, an independent security researcher.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 13th June 2021 12:50
www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2021/06/12/new-apple-ipho...

Why You Should Never Use Google Chrome On Your iPhone, iPad Or Mac

“Chrome is the only major browser that doesn’t offer meaningful protection from tracking,” rival Mozilla told me this week, as the Firefox developer released its stark technical analysis of Chrome’s new user tracking. Days earlier, Apple had launched a thinly veiled attack on Google, with Safari’s “privacy by design” update exposing its stark differences with Chrome when it comes to the dark art of user fingerprinting.

More in link
+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd February 2022 11:25
Don’t Be Stupid…Big Tech Planned ALL OF THIS! [PROOF]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPVi1K7P9Ck

Professor Shoshana Zuboff explains how Google ALWAYS intended to be what it is today - a company that harvests our personal information as covertly as possible and invade our privacy for profit. They pretended that they are a service we could use but really they are using us. Are we only just starting to realise how bad it is now?!

Google was supposed to be a search engine but the plan was for Google to be able to search us and they have done this by our own searches!

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 3rd March 2022 00:37
Loading tweet
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 30th June 2022 17:59
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 10th August 2022 11:18
PROOF: Google does not want anyone to find out

Check out what happened when we tried to ask two simple questions using Google Surveys. In America, it seems you are no longer allowed to question what the US government tells you.

Steve Kirsch
Jul 28

Find Out
stevekirsch.substack.com/p/google-does-not-want-anyone-to...
+1 -0
UK
Brother
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 10th August 2022 19:40
www.ccn.com/google-manipulates-search-results-former-engi...

Quote:
Google’s Response Is Utter Nonsense
Google stated that its policy is to prevent so-called conspiracy theories from gaining steam, and to only use what it considers to be authoritative sources. It’s easy for Google to use these excuses as a fig leaf for whatever agenda it has internally, which may include trying to push one Democrat candidate lower in search results.

Looks like it's not just an excuse to manipulate vaccine and covid truths.
No post ratings