Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
no members yet
3 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 19th December 2010 08:46
A person once got angry when he saw people worshipping a tree. He grabbed hold of an axe and intended to cut it down. On the way, he met Shaytaan. He told Shaytaan that he intended to cut the tree down. The Shaytaan told him to leave it and let the tree worshippers face the consequences. Due to this disagreement, the pair wrestled twice. Shaytaan being beaten each time.

As Shaytaan soon realized this person is strong in his belief, he began to change his approach by saying that if you leave this tree, you will find 4 dirhams under your pillow. The person hesitated for a while and thereafter agreed.

The person returned home and found 4 dirhams daily under his pillow every morning. Once, for two consecutive days, he never found the dirhams that were meant to be under his pillow. He proceeded again to the tree in a fit of anger. On the way, he met Shaytaan. Shaytaan asked, "Where are you going?" He replied, "To cut the tree down."

Iblees (Shaytaan) then told him to return back as he was not going to allow him to proceed. Iblees said, "On the first occasion, you wanted to cut down the tree for Allah, I couldn't have stopped you but this time you are going due to the 4 dirhams i.e for yourself, I will stop you."

The moral to this story is that the actions which are done for Allah are difficult for Shaytaan to obstruct. When actions are done for yourself i.e. worldly things, then Shaytaan can win easily.

The Prophet May Allah send peaceaand blessings upon him said:

'..Actions are according to intentions'

May Allah grant us the ability to maintain good intentions. Ameen!

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 19th December 2010 10:42
Aameen
No post ratings
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 19th December 2010 13:11
Salaam, Sorry I was not logged in at the time of Appreciating the topic. The Guest app was me, abu mohammed.

Seifeddine, you have a great post in your blogs regarding the intentions, it would be good if you put a link for it here too.

As you know my signature is also from that famous Hadith.

Can you find that story (Narrated by Shaykh Anwar al Awlaki) of the Abid who use to live in the temple and was so pious but satans whispers took him to hell. That story would be great for the devils deception or even a new thread called Satanic Whispers.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 20th December 2010 00:24
Anonymous wrote:
Salaam, Sorry I was not logged in at the time of Appreciating the topic. The Guest app was me, abu mohammed.

Seifeddine, you have a great post in your blogs regarding the intentions, it would be good if you put a link for it here too.

As you know my signature is also from that famous Hadith.

Can you find that story (Narrated by Shaykh Anwar al Awlaki) of the Abid who use to live in the temple and was so pious but satans whispers took him to hell. That story would be great for the devils deception or even a new thread called Satanic Whispers.

Satanic Whispers! How Shaytan Misled A Pious Worshiperper

The Devils Deception
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 20th December 2010 00:55
jazakallah bro
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 21st December 2010 08:23
Intention is the Key to Eternal Living in Paradise or Hell-Fire

Some people ask: Why is it that the unbelievers are punished in hell forever while they were not disobedient to Allah forever? Similarly, why will the believers be rewarded with heaven forever while they were obedient to Allah for only a short time in this life? The answer is that the unbelievers had the intention to disobey Allah forever while the believers had the intention to obey Allah forever. Thereby, they are rewarded according to their intentions.

As al-Qaari pointed out, entrance into Paradise is due to faith, the levels of Paradise are due to the deeds performed and remaining therein forever is due to the intention that the person had to obey Allah as long as he could have lived. Similarly, entrance into Hell is due to disbelief, its levels are due to the evil deeds that the person performed and its eternity is due to the intention the unbeliever had to forever disobey Allah.

The disbelievers may do some deeds that seem to be good because they bring positive results for others, such as humanitarian acts. However, that does not mean that such acts are good for the person himself. Ibn Rajab stated,

Ordering good is a type of charity. Bringing about reconciliation and peace between two is a good deed, even if it is not done for the sake of Allah, due to the benefit that it brings for others. The people receive goodness and good. However, as for the one who brought it about, if he did that for the sake of Allah and seeking His pleasure, then it is good for him and he shall be rewarded. If that was not his intent, it is actually not good for him nor shall he be rewarded for it.

The problem with the deeds of all the disbelievers- in general- is that none of them, no matter how utilitarian or humanitarian they seem, are for the sake of Allah. They perform deeds for the sake of false, claimed gods, such as Prophet Isa (Jesus - peace be upon him), in regards to the Christians. Or they perform deeds to make their own egos feel good. Sometimes- many times- they do acts to impress others. Hence, their deeds are never really for the sake of Allah and therefore, they are not deserving of reward from Allah in the Hereafter. They claim to be doing good while at the same time they are refusing to submit to Allah. Hence, there can truly be no good in them. They are as those described in the Qur'an,

"Say (O Muhammad): Shall We tell you the greatest losers in respect of (their) deeds? Those whose efforts have been wasted in this life while they thought they were acquiring good by their deeds. Those are they who deny the signs of their Lord and the meeting with Him [in the Hereafter]. So their works are in vain, and on the Day of Resurrection, We shall not give them any weight. That shall be their recompense - Hell, because they disbelieved and took My signs and My Messengers by way of jest and mockery." (Quran, Surah al-Kahf, 18:103-106)

However, Allah may reward them for their deeds in this world. Allah has stated,

"Whosever desires the life of this world and its glitter, to them We shall pay in full (the wages of) their deeds they did therein, and they will have no diminution therein. They are those for whom there is nothing in the Hereafter but Fire; and vain are the deeds they did therein. And of no effect is that which they used to do." (Quran, Surah Hood, 11:15-16)

[Jamaal al-Din M Zarabozo]

+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 30th December 2010 23:31
Ibn Taymiyyah said:
حكي أن أبا حامد الغزالي بلغه أن من أخلص لله أربعين يوما تفجرت ينابيع الحكمة من قلبه على لسانه
قال: فأخلصت أربعين يوما فلم يتفجر شيء فذكرت ذلك لبعض العارفين فقال لي: إنك إنما أخلصت للحكمة ولم تخلص لله تعالى
"... News reached Abu Hamid al-Ghazali that whoever proves sincere to Allah for forty days, wisdom springs from his heart and is established upon his tongue.
He (al-Ghazali) said, 'So I became sincere to Allah for forty days but nothing happened so I mentioned this to a righteous person and he said to me, 'You were not sincere for the sake of Allah, rather you were sincere for the sake of attaining wisdom."

Ibn Taymiyyah then says:
وذلك لأن الإنسان قد يكون مقصوده نيل العلم والحكمة أو نيل المكاشفات والتأثيرات أو نيل تعظيم الناس له ومدحهم إياه أو غير ذلك من المطالب وقد عرف أن ذلك يحصل بالإخلاص لله وإرادة وجهه, فإذا قصد أن يطلب ذلك بالإخلاص لله وإرادة وجهه كان متناقضا, لأن من أراد شيئا لغيره فالثاني هو المراد المقصود بذاته, والأول يراد لكونه وسيلة إليه
فإذا قصد أن يخلص لله ليصير عالما أو عارفا أو ذا حكمة أو صاحب مكاشفات وتصرفات ونحو ذلك, فهو هنا لم يرد الله بل جعل الله وسيلة له إلى ذلك المطلوب الأدنى
"And that is because a person's intention becomes (solely) the attainment of knowledge or wisdom, or to seek out hidden matters, or to gain popularity with the people and gain their praise etc. He knows that he can only achieve all that by being sincere to Allah and seeking His Face. So if he seeks these things (praise, gaining knowledge etc) by the token of sincerity to Allah and seeking His Face, then such a person contradicts himself because whoever seeks something (e.g. being sincere to Allah) for the sake of something else (e.g. gain understanding/knowledge), then the latter becomes his real goal and the first is just a means to that.
So if a person intends to be sincere to Allah so that he may become a scholar, or pious, or one endowed with wisdom, or one who discovers hidden realities etc, then such a person does not intend Allah, rather he has made Allah a means for him to gain that inferior matter..."

[From the book درء تعارض المنقول مع صريح المعقول by Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah)]

Incredible. It's such a subtle difference in intention (although not always blameworthy) but it really makes one appreciate and realise the reasons why the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) feared Riyaa' for this Ummah so much. Ibn Taymiyyah's statement above is not really rebuking people who take such a route, but it's highlighting the great difference between doing something for the Sake of Allah Alone and doing it in order to attain something specific (even though it may be praiseworthy and permissible). This difference is what brings out the true Mukhliseen (sincere) from the Salihin (righteous).

[from: 'For the sake of Allah alone' - is it really?]
No post ratings