Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Shisha - Huka - Smoking - Pipes - E-cigarette

Jump to page:

You have contributed 15.7% of this topic

Topic Poll

Please vote to view the results or click here to see results
Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taqwah, abu mohammed, sweetmuslimahk1, Naqshband66, Taalibah, Seifeddine-M, ummi taalib, Yasin
8 guests appreciate this topic.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#151 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 09:39
salaam

shouldnt paan and chewing tobacco also come under this thread?

both are as bad as smoking if not worse and is very popular amongst our cultures. so much so that it is not unheard of our ulama and buzroogs chewing and spitting paan while delivering sermons on the minbar! imagine if someone smoked sheesha while sat on the minbar giving a bayan!
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Agree x 2
Rank Image
nyc
Brother
#152 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 12:06
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

Salamualaikum

I'm with you on that brother. Paan should be included in this thread. I've seen ulema chewing paan while making Salaat or siting down chewing and spitting while a khutbah is going on in the masjid.i wonder if Salaat is valid if someone holds paan in his mouth while making Salaat? I see it to often in the indo-pak masjids.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#153 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 12:52
brooklynyte4ever wrote:
View original post

i have never seen anyone with paan in their mouths during salaat. but if thats what they do then they are in a high state of jahalat! how can salaat be fulfilled if you have paan in your mouth!?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#154 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 13:05
Paan (betel leaves) has been mentioned by the guest in the earlier posts

Its a tuff one as he/she does mention that high calibre scholars chew this filth.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#155 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 13:35
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

you gotta teach by example. if they want people to give up sheesha, then they should give up paan.
+2 -0Agree x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#156 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 13:51
Never heard or know of ulema chewing paan in the UK.....is this heresay?

Or have any brothers here actually witnessed high calibre scholars/scholars/ulema chewing paan?

Chewing betal leaves is permissible, spitting it however should hold some sort of penalty.

There are no harmful substances in betal leaves which makes it permissible. There is no comparison between betal leaves and sheesha.

There is also a difference between chewing tobacco and betal leaves, where some confusion may be stemming from.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#157 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 14:08
Most of these people who chew paan, do so for the thrill in it (the tobacco). It gives them a "high"

I don't think they are in it for the sweet paan as I have had a few times!
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#158 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 14:20
Oh ok I thought it was tobacco that gave the high and not the paan. Ive heard of some people having tobacco put in paan, so different callibre of paan for different calibre of people.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#159 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 14:23
You get a high from chewing tobacco ?

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#160 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 14:34
Don't think the tobacco mentioned here is the normal cigarette tobacco, it's a chewing tobacco. Yes and it gives a high.... hopefully were not really promoting anything here.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#161 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 14:39

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/SouthAsianhealth/Pages/Smokingandpaan.aspx

Paan, bidi and shisha

Tobacco that you don’t smoke (including paan, betel quid and chewing tobacco) is not a ‘safe’ way to use tobacco. It causes cancer and can be as addictive as smoking. Find out the risks and how you can quit.

Chewing tobacco

Betel quid, paan or gutkha is a mixture of ingredients including betel nut (also called areca nut), herbs, spices and often tobacco, wrapped in a betel leaf. Chewing smokeless tobacco, such as paan or gutkha, is popular with many people from south Asian communities, but all forms of tobacco can harm your health. Research has shown that using smokeless tobacco raises the risk of mouth cancer and oesophageal (food pipe) cancer.

Studies have also found that betel itself can raise the risk of cancer, so chewing betel quid without tobacco is still harmful.

Cigarettes, bidi and shisha

Smoking rates are higher among Bangladeshi men (40%) and Pakistani men (29%) than in the general population (21%). Indian men and south Asian women are less likely to smoke.

Smoking increases your risk of cancerheart disease and respiratory (breathing) disease. This is true whether you smoke bidi (thin cigarettes of tobacco wrapped in brown tendu leaf), cigarettes or shisha (also known as a water pipe or hookah).

A World Health Organization study has suggested that during one session on a hookah (around 20 to 80 minutes) a person can inhale the same amount of smoke as a cigarette smoker consuming 100 or more cigarettes. Hookah smoke also contains nicotine, cancer-causing chemicals and toxic gases such as carbon monoxide.

Quitting

People who use NHS support are up to four times more likely to quit smoking than those who try to stop alone. All areas have a free local NHS Stop Smoking Service that provides medication and support to help you quit. Many services also offer support to help you stop using smokeless tobacco, such as paan. Find out more about using NHS Stop Smoking support.

Nine out of 10 people using a stop-smoking service would recommend it to another person who wants to stop smoking. It is proven to offer you your best chance of stopping. To find your local service, call the smoking helpline on 0300 123 1014, go to the Smokefree website, or ask your doctor or nurse to refer you to your local service.

You can also call the NHS Asian Tobacco Helpline, available in five languages, from 1pm to 9pm on Tuesdays:

• Urdu: 0800 169 0881
  • Punjabi: 0800 169 0882
  • Hindi: 0800 169 0883
  • Gujarati: 0800 169 0884
  • Bengali: 0800 169 0885

Or you can visit NHS Smokefree: south Asian information.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#162 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 14:43
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Addictions, harms and it's various types.

No where does it say it causes an high, maybe a wrong use of word here.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#163 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 14:44
Taalibah wrote:
View original post

What makes you say it gives a high ?

I disagree.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#164 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 14:46
True, but I only speak from experience from others and what they tell me.

It might not just be a simple high, it could be like caffeine where it helps them stay awake.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#165 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2013 14:48
Wouldn't know about the high I'm just taking others word for it and presuming it gives a high due to other people's experience.
+1 -0Agree x 1

Jump to page: