Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Personal Book recommendations and why?

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 13th May 2020 15:50
The Crusades Through Arab Eyes

Quote:
European and Arab versions of the Crusades have little in common. For Arabs, the twelfth and thirteenth centuries were years of strenuous efforts to repel a brutal and destructive invasion by barbarian hordes. Under Saladin, an unstoppable Muslim army inspired by prophets and poets finally succeeded in destroying the most powerful Crusader kingdoms. The memory of this greatest and most enduring victory ever won by a non-European society against the West still lives in the minds of millions of Arabs today.

Amin Maalouf has sifted through the works of a score of contemporary Arab chroniclers of the Crusades, eyewitnesses and often participants in the events. He retells their stories in their own vivacious style, giving us a vivid portrait of a society rent by internal conflicts and shaken by a traumatic encounter with an alien culture. He retraces two critical centuries of Middle Eastern history, and offers fascinating insights into some of the forces that shape Arab and Islamic consciousness today.

Audio and pdf here:

central-mosque.com/index.php/Islam/the-crusades-through-a...
report post quote code quick quote reply
+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 13th May 2020 15:56
Al-Qaeda: The True Story of Radical Islam

www.amazon.com/Al-Qaeda-True-Story-Radical-Islam/dp/18504...

Quote:
Jason Burke's bestseller Al-Qaeda: The True Story of Radical Islam shows Islamic militancy to be a far broader phenomenon than previously thought, demolishing the myths that underpin the 'war on terror'.

Prize-winning journalist Jason Burke's Al-Qaeda - now updated with new material on Iraq, Afghanistan and the July 2005 London bombings - is acknowledged to be the most accurate, readable and expert account yet of the complex nature of Islamic extremism.

Burke has spent a decade reporting from the heart of the Middle East and gaining unprecedented access to the world of radical Islam. Drawing on his frontline experience of recent events, on secret documents and astonishing interviews with intelligence officers, Taliban foot soldiers, militants, mujahedeen commanders and Osama bin Laden's associates, he reveals the full story of al-Qaeda.

Are you a Muslim studying in a technical field in a university? Read this book to know how your perception of Islam and Fiqh changes due to your university education.
+1 -0
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 13th May 2020 16:00
Riyadus-Saliheen

Quote:
The book which will largely absolve you for the need to refer to any other Hadeeth collection on Fadhail (virtues). This book has been the benchmark excellence in the Muslim Ummah for Ulama and laymen alike for over 700 years. You do not need any commentary with it as the book was written to be easy to understand.

central-mosque.com/index.php/Hadeeth/riyadh-as-saaliheen-...

+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 15th May 2020 18:04
Recommendations from anyone else?

What have you read lately which has interested you?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 15th May 2020 18:10
Only read the Qur'an lately.

The author is out of this world. Full of wisdom, justice and tranquility.

Soul stirring and out of this world, beyond imagination future.

Would recommend and read over and over and over.

It's also very rewarding. 10 bonus points for every letter read, amazing!

Also very nourishing in Ramadhan :)
+3 -0Like x 1Winner x 1Creative x 1
Rank Image
Al-Hind
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 15th May 2020 19:20
There are a few books full of quotes from our shuyukh. These are compiled by our great scholars like Mufti Taqi Usmani sab DB. When reading these books of our shuyukh the compiler has taken notes. These are wonderful compilations, wealth of knowledge.
There are quotes from great tafseer books and history books also.
These compilations are in urdu.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Al-Hind
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 16th May 2020 08:41

A few books I had downloaded
tarashay by taqi usmani sab.JPG
Downloads: 7
    [94.72 kB]
yaadgaar mulaqatein.JPG
    [98.87 kB]
yaadgar baatein.JPG
Downloads: 6
    [95.18 kB]
kitaboen ki darsgah mein.JPG
    [112.44 kB]
Ahle Dil Ke Amol Aqwal.jpg
Downloads: 5
    [57.62 kB]
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 17th May 2020 10:03
Fazail sadaqa
I have benefitted immensely in the past thought I’d start over again. I have found reading books at certain age and stages in your life it has a different effect and understanding each time.

Dark souls of the night
Same with this book second time round reading it. It explains how the changes in the brain are all a process to get you to where you need to be, how to deal with it and ride through the different stages. I.e anxiety, uncertainty, imbalances, mental outlook and changes, depression it’s part of a brain development.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Al-Hind
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 17th May 2020 15:29
Moonlight wrote:
View original post

Enjoyment in true sense is in Jannah. But fadhail e sadaqath made me to enjoy every moment in my life. Both during trials and happy times. A scan of a particular page related to that current episode at that particular time appears in our mind and things get normal.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 18th May 2020 11:52
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Quote:
Are you a Muslim studying in a technical field in a university? Read this book to know how your perception of Islam and Fiqh changes due to your university education.

This is one of the most difficult things to deal with.
+-1 -0Optimistic x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 18th May 2020 17:58
Saviours of the Islamic Spirit

Quote:
This book, by the late Indian historian and intellectual, Shaykh Abu 'l-Hasan Ali Nadwi, is a story of the ebbs and flows of this Ummah; the challenges, the setbacks, and most importantly, the successes. ​ It is a poignant story of the accomplishments, attainments, and triumphs that propelled the Ummah forward. It is a story told through extraordinary figures: the revivers, men of courage, vigour, and zeal, an elect group who were graced with divine determination to safeguard the spirit of God's religion on earth. In other words, they were the saviours of the Islamic spirit. Drawing on the lives of ten of the most influential personalities of the first seven centuries of Islam, from Hasan al-Basri, Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, and Ghazali to Ibn al-Jawzi and Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi, this work offers comfort and much-needed perspective, given the current situation of Muslims around the world. It aims to inspire Muslim youth and others to virtue and love for Allah, and to provide role models of intellectual and spiritual excellence, at a time when people are looking for motivation from other sources. This history reminds us that we are not in the direst of situations. Table of Contents Personalities covered Hasan al-Basri Ahmad ibn Hanbal Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz Abu l-Hasan al-Ash'ari Izz al-Din ibn Abd al-Salam Abu l-Faraj Ibn al-Jawzi Abu Hamid al-Ghazali Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi Nur al-Din Zangi The Tartars

ia803009.us.archive.org/35/items/SavioursOfTheIslamicSpir...

+1 -0
Rank Image
london
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 20th May 2020 13:14
Do you have any good suggestions for a book to give to a friend who hasn’t found a passion in life, or something to motivate him (i.e. in regards to a career) but with an islamic outlook.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Al-Hind
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 20th May 2020 15:25
moulanakhalil wrote:
View original post

Your friend has decided to live like a parasite.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 20th May 2020 16:36
moulanakhalil wrote:
View original post

I wish I could be a part of such discussions and have more knowledge on books too.

Unfortunately I'm not.

However, I could suggest an expensive gift which I treated my self with :)

"Pavilion of the Sacred Relics: The Sacred Trusts"

This book is basically the topkapi museum of Turkey. Filled with historic images and information.

www.amazon.co.uk/Sacred-Trusts-Pavilion-Relics-Istanbul/d...

I bought mine online for about £100.

The only other place I've seen this was in an Islamic book shop in White Chapel near the Masjid. (perhaps if you are in the area one day, you could take a look at it in person)

Bring the love of Islamic History into his life.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 20th May 2020 17:11
No post ratings