Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open
 

How our eyes and ears can be deceived

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Thread Tools
Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
abuzayd2k's avatar
Offline
Hindustan
494
Brother
11
abuzayd2k's avatar
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 21st February 2020 04:31
Two people can perceive the same scene very differently. Many are probably already aware of "the dress" that "broke" the internet. Here it is for those who may have missed it.



By WP:NFCC#4

What colors do you see? Show it to a few friends. Ask them what they see.

Here's another example. This time for the ears:

Halalified YouTube Audio


What word do you hear? Play the clip for a few friends. Ask them what they hear.

It's clear there is some conflict. The only one who can resolve the conflict is the one who took the picture in the first place, and the one who made the sound clip originally.

It's the same with conspiracy theories. Only the original content makers know what they are showing us.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1Optimistic x 1
back to top
Rank Image
super-glue's avatar
Offline
Unspecified
598
Brother
1,029
super-glue's avatar
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 21st February 2020 19:13
Quote:
It's clear there is some conflict. The only one who can resolve the conflict is the one who took the picture in the first place, and the one who made the sound clip originally.

The very example you gave of the dress doesn't agree with your principal. You are saying "the only one who can resolve the conflict is the one who took the picture in the first place" but the one who took the picture in the first place is the one who posted it on Facebook because there was a conflict (disagreement on the colour).

It's simply a faulty analogy and a self-defeating argument.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
In Need of Teaching's avatar
Offline
USA
1,014
Brother
348
In Need of Teaching's avatar
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 21st February 2020 20:56
super-glue wrote:
View original post

Ok, it was posted on Facebook.
Who are the only two people involved in that picture who have seen the dress with their own eyes?
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
back to top
Rank Image
super-glue's avatar
Offline
Unspecified
598
Brother
1,029
super-glue's avatar
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 21st February 2020 23:11
In Need of Teaching wrote:
View original post

None of the ones who posted it on Facebook saw it in person. The one that sent it to the one who posted it in Facebook saw the dress in person.

I typed it wrong in my earlier post.

My main point is, the one who takes the picture is not the only person who has access to the truth. Otherwise every single photo and video is "real" and "true" based on the claim because according to thread starter, "The only one who can resolve the conflict is the one who took the picture in the first place"
It's a faulty argument.

If a person has deuteranomaly and is unaware of it and takes a photo of a perfectly good red apple and tells everyone it's brown then does that mean the photo taker is the "only one" (according to OP) who is correct? And there's no other way of knowing the truth because the photo taker has said it's brown?
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
In Need of Teaching's avatar
Offline
USA
1,014
Brother
348
In Need of Teaching's avatar
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 21st February 2020 23:17
super-glue wrote:
View original post
Quote:
None of the ones who posted it on Facebook saw it in person. The one that sent it to the one who posted it in Facebook saw the dress in person.

I typed it wrong in my earlier post.
ok

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
back to top
Rank Image
abuzayd2k's avatar
Offline
Hindustan
494
Brother
11
abuzayd2k's avatar
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd February 2020 00:34
super-glue wrote:
View original post

I was trying to underline the importance of primary sources. I am not a trained logician.

Our scholars tell us that knowledge that we are advised to seek out is not limited to religious knowledge alone. In all the four schools we as non experts are told to adhere to the majority expert view as this is the safer option.

I tend to apply the same principle when it comes to worldly knowledge.

My post above was not meant to be an axiomatic truth.

There are times when the statement will be false but it will be true most of the time. Do you agree?

Please tell me how I should rephrase my post so that it becomes acceptable to most people.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
back to top
Rank Image
In Need of Teaching's avatar
Offline
USA
1,014
Brother
348
In Need of Teaching's avatar
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd March 2020 03:50
abuzayd2k wrote:
View original post
Your post makes your point just fine.
There will always be those who want to quibble about some detail or another that doesn't pertain to your point.

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
back to top