You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
bint e aisha
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2020 12:03
What, you never heard of Paltering. Ok, fine. Neither did I, but that's the new word being used for telling a truth and lying!

“O you who believe! Fear Allah, and be with those who are true (in words and deeds).”(9:119)

The line between truth and lies is becoming ever murkier, finds Melissa Hogenboom. There's even a word for a very different form of lying.

It is no secret that politicians often lie, but consider this ­– they can do so simply by telling the truth. Confused?

That statement becomes clearer when you realise that we've probably all done it. A classic example might be if your mum asks if you've finished your homework and you respond: "I've written an essay on Tennessee Williams for my English class." This may be true, but it doesn't actually answer the question about whether your homework was done. That essay could have been written long ago and you have misled your poor mother with a truthful statement. You might not have even started your homework yet.

Misleading by "telling the truth" is so pervasive in daily life that a new term has recently been employed by psychologists to describe it: Paltering. That it is so widespread in society now gives us more insight into the grey area between truth and lies, and perhaps even why we lie at all.

We lie all the time, despite the fact that it costs us considerably more mental effort to lie than to tell the truth. US president Abraham Lincoln once said that "no man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar".

Full article www.bbc.com/future/article/20171114-the-disturbing-art-of...
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2020 14:37
Assalamu alaikum
Is it haram?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2020 14:57
I heard a Hadith once but don't know it but I'll give an example of what took place.

Aisha said to Umar, can you tell Bakr that our son, Zaid didn't do his homework, and whatever you do, don't say Aisha said so.

Umar eventually had to tell but he never mentioned her name, instead he said, Umme Bakr said so..... :)

So is it Haram?

I'll respond in a way that I know will deserve a Facepalm :) (ironically I'm being serious)

As a Mufti would say, "Should be avoided"
+1 -0Creative x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2020 15:26
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

I never knew the term, so thank you.

My former religion believed a lie of omission (ie. paltering) was a lie.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2020 17:46
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

Quote:
Question
What is the ruling on lies that will never harm anyone?
Answer

Praise be to Allah.
Lying is haram (impermissible) in all cases, expect those which are exempted by the Lawgiver, and what is mentioned here is not one of those cases, because of the general meaning of the evidence, such as the verse in which Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Fear Allah, and be with those who are true (in words and deeds)” [9:119]. In al-Saheehayn (al-Bukhari and Muslim) and elsewhere it is narrated that ‘Abd-Allah ibn Mas’ood (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “I urge you to be truthful, for truthfulness leads to righteousness, and righteousness leads to Paradise. A man will continue to be truthful and seek to speak the truth until he is recorded with Allah as speaker of truth (siddeeq). And beware of lying, for lying leads to immorality and immorality leads to Hell; a man will continue to tell lies until he is recorded with Allah as a liar.” And it was narrated that ‘Abd-Allah ibn Mas’ood also said: Lying is not appropriate whether in earnest or in jest. Recite if you wish (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Fear Allah, and be with those who are true (in words and deeds)” [9:119]. Then he said: Do you find any concession allowing that to anyone?

And Allah is the Source of strength. May Allah send blessings upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote.
islamqa.info/en/answers/105477/lies-that-do-not-harm-anyone

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2020 17:49
Quote:
It was narrated that Asma’ bint Yazeed said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Lies are not appropriate except in three cases: when a man speaks to his wife to please her, telling lies at times of war, and lying in order to bring about reconciliation between people.”

I'm glad this is cleared up :)
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 20th January 2020 17:58
If paltering is an English term for tawriyah then it is allowed under certain circumstances.
No post ratings