Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abuzayd2k
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#241 [Permalink] Posted on 5th February 2020 19:09

Standing vs Sitting

It is a consensus of opinion in Islam that a person has to stand in prayers.

Loading Qur'aan Verse

If the person is unable to stand, then they can sit or lie down and pray depending on their condition. You can sit on a chair or on the floor whatever is comfortable for a person.

Loading Hadeeth

Takbeer vs Recitation

It is also a consensus of opinion that recitation of the Qur'aan (in prayer) can only be in Arabic.

Loading Qur'aan Verse

The obligatory parts of a prayer literally takes less then 20 minutes a day so for the rest of 23 hours and 40 minutes a person can read the Qu'raan, ponder upon it in any language they wish.

Some Scholars have given the leeway that for those who are learning they can say the "Takbeer" i.e. Allahu-Akbar etc in their own language in the beginning.

Having said that, there is NO expectation for someone who does not know how to pray to go to fully reciting the prayer in 1 go, it will take time and its fine.

I have seen an 84 old new Muslim with Alzheimer who used to memorise Allahu-Akbar and then forget about it in 20 minutes and he went through years and did not know anything. This brother was Catholic and he had thousands of pounds worth of Christian statues which he disposed, with little savings he went for Hajj (did NOT know much) and passed away a few months later. He used to forget his Muslim name (which he picked himself) and then pick another name (and forget that too).

Another Turkish brother began to start praying in really old age and could NOT memorise but kept trying and failing.

Both have passed away and may Allah Ta'ala grant them paradise (Ameen). 

It is the intention which counts, I have met Muslims who could not memorise prayers after years of trying and it is what it is but prayers are in Arabic. Majority of Reverts have no trouble after a few weeks (Alhumdolillah) but some will for one reason or another.

Loading Hadeeth

It is, what it is.

report post quote code quick quote reply
+5 -0Like x 3Winner x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#242 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 12:25
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

This is all presupposing that the Imam will not like the way I need to get up from sitting or prostrating.

If he suggests a chair, I will suggest standing.
I do have some issues that prevent me from standing still for a long period of time.
(I don't "think" salat will hit that mark though. If it does, I will simply sit on the floor.)
If he insists on a chair, I will sit in one.

Does that sound about right?
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#243 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 12:28

In Need of Teaching wrote:
View original post

Why would any Imam have a problem with the way you choose to sit?

Problem with sitting still for no more then 2 minutes at a time?
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#244 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 13:12
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post
Quote:
Why would any Imam have a problem with the way you choose to sit?
No, I was referring to the clumsiness of going to prostration, and then rising again.

Quote:
Problem with sitting still for no more then 2 minutes at a time?
No problems with sitting, just problems when I have to stand still in the same position for extended periods of time.

Quote:
If he insists on a chair, I will sit in one.
By this, I meant that if he didn't want me to stand and preferred that I simply sat.

I'm not sure if I've fully explained what I mean, so feel free to ask anything else for clarification.
Again, this is all based on a presupposition. abu mohammed felt this would be unlikely and hopefully I will be allowed to just do all the required movements, as best (clumsily) as I can.
No post ratings
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#245 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 13:58
View original post

As you can probably gather from some of my posts, I'm not a person who is aging well.

I often feel I am trapped in a body much older than my actual years due to disease and prior injuries.
So, I'm not looking for "easy outs" on anything, rather I'm just acknowledging that my health is what it is.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#246 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 14:23
As you go to the masjid and become familiar with the environment and the people become familiar with you and your issues or conditions, then you will be able to know what is best. I am not aware of Imams dictatating to people how to pray. If anything it may be more to do with those next to you and how it affects them.

I know of and elderly person who does all kind of "acrobatic " stuff switching from prostration to sitting to standing, all so he doesn't have to use a chair. Dont stress those things until you actually go to the masjid.
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#247 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 14:26
Quote:
No problems with sitting, just problems when I have to stand still in the same position for extended periods of time.

The Pious of the past (able bodied) would stand in Salah all night and recite the entire Quran in one night, SubhanAllah.

The way the Prophet (saw) has taught us to stand for long duration's was to stand with our weight on one foot/leg and then switch weight to the other foot/leg without much change in our stance and very minimal movement.

But, you may start standing and then sit when required. No one can object to this. In a Mosque, people will know when they see someone is new to Islam and instead of shunning them or neglecting them, they will treat them with love and affection.

Quote:
As you can probably gather from some of my posts, I'm not a person who is aging well.

I often feel I am trapped in a body much older than my actual years due to disease and prior injuries.
So, I'm not looking for "easy outs" on anything, rather I'm just acknowledging that my health is what it is.

May Allah give you strength.

Also, please listen to the Quran as much as you can (since you are unable to read it) as well as reading it. Listening to it will awaken your senses and has many healing properties too.

There are many verses of the Quran that have healing powers but we know not.

+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#248 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 14:26
Some people start the prayer standing and then sit afterwards . People normally use the chair when they cant rise again from going into prostration or from a sitting position.
+1 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#249 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 14:32
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post
Quote:
The way the Prophet (saw) has taught us to stand for long duration's was to stand with our weight on one foot/leg and then switch weight to the other foot/leg without much change in our stance and very minimal movement.
Good to know, because that definitely adds to the duration I can stand without significant pain.

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#250 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 14:42
Quote:
May Allah give you strength.

Also, please listen to the Quran as much as you can (since you are unable to read it) as well as reading it. Listening to it will awaken your senses and has many healing properties too.

There are many verses of the Quran that have healing powers but we know not.

The power of the word of Allah!

This is off topic, but I want to give you an example of TRUE Submission. Really beautiful submission and obedience when the word of Allah is recognised. And they don't even understand Arabic.

Watch from the middle (already set) TOTAL Submission!
youtu.be/5LiqjyQqLW4?t=593 (there are 3 parts to this video, you can watch all or skip to anywhere you wish, but please see this for a couple of minutes
Power of the word. SubhanAllah
+1 -0
Rank Image
London
Brother
#251 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 15:37
Quote:

Just a few examples
Loading Qur'aan Verse

Loading Qur'aan Verse

In reference to Surah al-Fatiha
Loading Qur'aan Verse

Surah Fatiha itself
Loading Qur'aan Verse

Hadith on Surah Fatiha with no apparent evidence of it being a cure
hadithanswers.com/reciting-surah-fatihah-seven-times-as-a...
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#252 [Permalink] Posted on 6th February 2020 23:24
+0 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#253 [Permalink] Posted on 7th February 2020 12:58
Salaam

The imam is not going to allow you or disallow you. It's all down to what you can manage. If you have a problem that stops you praying in the normal way then you can compromise.

My youngest son has joint problems. He can just about pray normally, but that makes the problem worse. He has worked out how to pray in a way that causes him the least problem and that's how he always prays. He uses a chair. We get to the mosque slightly early so he can sit at the end of the row so his form of prayer has less impact on others.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#254 [Permalink] Posted on 15th February 2020 10:25
I've been reading some stuff lately and it makes me wonder.
As Muslims, are we supposed to want to go to Sharia Law as the law of the land?
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#255 [Permalink] Posted on 15th February 2020 11:27
View original post

We can practice our deen easier and it has multiple benefits for everyone, including business, banking, interest free banking.... So many advantages

See here an article from a former foreign secretary (2016) www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/26/may-hails-benefits-of...
+1 -0Like x 1

Jump to page: