Topic Appreciation
abuzayd2k
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#16 [Permalink] Posted on 16th January 2020 21:47
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Thank you again for such excellent information.
That is certainly a good deal to read. I also downloaded the Qur'aan that you linked to me. I noticed differences immediately after reading only the first surah. I will need to read it in its entirety.

I have no question about and totally agree with the 7 statements.
I have not yet spoken the Creed as I believe I have much yet to learn about Islam before I can knowingly (with complete understanding) recite it.

I realize it is probably better for me if I learn Arabic, but is it a necessity? Also, can you please provide a translation for the last step of the Wudhu?

I also sent you a PM. Please forgive me if that is not a proper question.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#17 [Permalink] Posted on 16th January 2020 22:54

In Need of Teaching wrote:
View original post

Statistically, about less than 14% are ethnically Arabs so 86% are Non-Arabs meaning Arabic is not their native language.Overwhelming majority of Muslims do not understand or speak Arabic and neither do you, although most Muslims have some basic Arabic terms which they are familiar with.

Slowly, you will also build a good vocabulary...Give me a day or two and I will add new article to the page with basic Arabic terms.

The bottom of the chart in Arabic is as follows. The first one is the testimony:

Quote:
I testify that there is no god but God, and I testify that Muhammad is the messenger of God.

And the second one is a prayer as follows:

Quote:
O Allah! Make me among those who constantly repent and those who purify themselves thoroughly.

+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#18 [Permalink] Posted on 18th January 2020 00:27
+4 -0Like x 3Winner x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#19 [Permalink] Posted on 18th January 2020 01:00
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Thank you, it's very helpful.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#20 [Permalink] Posted on 18th January 2020 11:14

View original post

I have added a few tweaks.

www.central-mosque.com/index.php/Islam/newarabic.html

Over 1/3rd of Muslims in the world live in 3 countries which are Pakistan, India and Bangladesh and when you add Indonesia to it it is a huge number thus regional pronounciations are very common.

In Arabic when a word ends with "h" e.g Zākah Muslims from Pakistan, India and Bangladesh pronounce it as Zākat

The Islamic landscape in America, Britain and Canada is heavily influenced by Urdu (rather then Arabic) because they are more active in communities compared to Arabs so many English books carry urdu words and pronounciations.

Texas in general and Houston (in specific) has a huge Pakistani influence in the Mosques, communities, food etc, bigger then the Arab influence. Houston is basically one of the largest disapora of Pakistanees in US

+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#21 [Permalink] Posted on 18th January 2020 13:38
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Thank you for clarifying that for me.
Sometimes the various dialects confuse me.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#22 [Permalink] Posted on 21st January 2020 02:21
I have been reading up on the correct way to pray.
I assume (and I hate that word) that it would be permissible for me to have a guide next to me while I am praying alone. Is this correct?
Also, when praying alone, do you need to read the Quran aloud, or is it okay to read it to yourself?

I know it is best to worship in a mosque, but there are personal (medical) reasons that will make this difficult or impossible for me most of the time.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#23 [Permalink] Posted on 21st January 2020 10:11

View original post

Yes. There are a couple of tips for you to keep in mind:

1. The "Fiqh" in Islam is extremely diversified and adaptive. The advantage is it that it makes it flexible but the disadvantage  (to a new comer) is that you will find books, videos, blogs which may teach you prayers in different ways. Don't get confused and stick to one way and know that there are other ways.
  2. The "Hanafi Madhab" is the most popular and over 20+ years of experience with New-Muslims has taught me that it is also the simplest to learn with ready access to information, books, videos etc.
  3. This video here teaches you prayer according to "Hanafi Madhab"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q39_NH274A

If you have a book which teaches you a different way, get it verified and then follow it (exclusively) but don't MixNMatch!

Secondly, practise postures first and then add the reading to it. Basically prayer has four postures:

1. Standing: Stand with eyes focused on where your forehead will touch the ground. In the entire prayer your eyes will ALWAYS focus on the place where your forehead will touch the ground.
  2. Bowing: Bend fully so your back is straight and this time you look directly straight down
  3. Prostration: During prostration, (both) palms, (both) knees, (both) sets of toes, nose, forehead all touch the ground. Your elbows do not.
  4. Sitting: Sit with your palms lightly resting on your laps and your eyes on your lap

You need to work on the focus on your eyes and these postures.

How do you go from standing to Prostrating?

Just like how you pass out and collapse on the floor

1. Knees touch the ground
  2. Then your palms
  3. Then your nose
  4. Then your forehead

Getting up:

1. Forehead leaves the ground
  2. Then your nose
  3. Then your palms
  4. Then your knees and stand

You can use arms to support yourself while going up or down

In each posture (until you learn what to say) recite Allah 5 times. This will make you hold the posture and also get used to reciting.

Then you learn the Arabic slowly and add to your prayer. Within a week or so you will be praying and Arabic gets added slowly Insha'Allah.

+5 -0Like x 5
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#24 [Permalink] Posted on 21st January 2020 10:15
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

What about when praying alone?
Can you read from the Quran, while performing the different postures?
Does it need to be said aloud when praying by yourself?
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#25 [Permalink] Posted on 21st January 2020 10:19

View original post

Yes, you can.

Also you can pray with the intention of Naf'l (optional) prayers at anytime and practise any which way. so you can:

1. Intention = I intent to pray two units of Naf'l (optional) prayers for the sake of Allah Ta'ala OR even 4 units OR 6 or 8 or 10...or you can pray 2 and then break up and then pray 2 more etc
  2. Pray = You can pray alone (or with others) silently or loudly, hold the Qu'raan or not
Since this can be done anytime, lots of opportunities to practise.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#26 [Permalink] Posted on 21st January 2020 10:27
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Thank you again. I appreciate all the time you're taking to teach me.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#27 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd January 2020 23:57
Is there a specific way to give Dua's?
Like, do you need to perform ablution?
Should you be kneeling, prostrating, standing or sitting?
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
USA
Brother
#28 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd January 2020 00:06
I am very troubled at the moment.
I was under the belief that part of Islam was to approach things logically, with knowledge and thoughtfulness.

On a thread, of a trifling nature totally unrelated to Islam, I was only met with scorn. I was actually referred to as a liar, in much more gentle wording, more than once. My words were taken out of context and manipulated.

I tried to present my view logically, with scientific evidence (when available), and with thoughtfulness and kindness. I fully admit at times I became exasperated and when I recognized those moments I tried to apologize for them when I felt it was appropriate.

I currently feel that maybe a brotherhood/sisterhood with Muslims may not be something I desire or need right now.

I have fully renounced my polytheistic religion, that I was formally a part of. I'm currently not sure what to do next, other than to avoid trivial discussions as much as possible.

I'm not asking for sympathy, nor for comments. Please do give some Dua's for me to help guide me through this time.
+2 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#29 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd January 2020 00:16
View original post

Salaam

You are confusing Islam which is divinely ordained and perfect with Muslims who are human and imperfect.

If you think Muslims are going to be some sort of beacon of light in the darkness then you are going to have a very hard time.
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#30 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd January 2020 00:20
View original post

You can supplicate to Allah in any way or time that you like, although there are some recommended ways and times. You will need a different thread for that.
+1 -0Like x 1

Jump to page: