You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
bint e aisha, abuzayd2k
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2019 05:35
Mufti Zar Wali Khan( D.B) of Karachi, in a recent clip, defined what a Shaykh Ul Islam is. This is Mufti sahab's opinion and not from the Quran and Hadith so its not set in stone but it gives us an insight to the weight of this title. Any person can of course, object to it and disagree. I am only sharing it because I found it interesting.

Mufti sahab(D.B) said that a Shaykh Ul Islam is an Aalim who has the expertise and mastery of fiqh to an extent that when asked a question, he can respond in one sitting and with one stroke of the pen, quoting the opinion of the four major mazhabs( Hanafi, Shaafi,Maliki,Hanbali). Mufti sahab's( D.B) mention of responding in one sitting and one stroke of pen is apparently not literal but indicates the level of knowledge of a Shaykh Ul Islam.

Mufti sahab( D.B) went on to mention three Ulama, who were Shaykh ul Islam according to this definition.These were Allama Zahid Al-Kauthari (R.A) of Turkey, Mustafa Sabri(R.A) who was the Ottoman Shaykh Ul Islam, and Maulana Hussain Ahmad Madani (R.A) who is among the Akabireen of Deoband.

Regarding Maulana Hussain Ahmad Madani(R.A), I am sharing something I read somewhere else. When Maulana Madani(R.A) migrated to Madinah and started teaching, the Arab ulama were very impressed by his grasp and mastery of the Islamic uloom. Maulana Madani(R.A) used to teach books of the Maliki and Shaafi fiqh as well, and despite being a Hanafi himself he would teach them very well.

Even though Mufti Zar Wali Khan( D.B) did not mention this, but Maulana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi (R.A) was also an expert of all four mazhabs. Allama Anwar Shah Kashmiri(R.A) attested to this fact.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+6 -0Like x 1Winner x 1Creative x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2019 12:07

muslimman wrote:
View original post

Assuming that your translation is accurate, it makes no sense.

Allama Zahid Al-Kauthari (RA) was a "Hanafi" and never claimed or gave a Fatwa/Answer is other Madhahib. Please ask Mufti Saheb (HA) to give example of where Allamah Saheb (RA) spoke of other Madhabs?

www.ilmgate.org/imam-muhammad-zahid-al-kawthari-concernin...

Allamah Saheb (RA) was a H-A-N-A-F-I as witnessed and written by Deobandi Ulama who met him in his lifetime.

Fact: Shaykhul-Islam was a political appointment by Islamic Governments, if a Mufti didn't back you he got sacked and became Shaytanul-Adham and thrown in prison. If a Shaytaan backed you he became Shaykhul-Islam

Today: Shaykhul-Islam is a title used by faboys and fangirls given out like candy and does not mean anything...

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2019 19:22
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

You have made a good point.I don't have the means to ask Mufti sahab(D.B) for clarification though.

Nobody is disputing the fact that Allama Kauthari(R.A) was a Hanafi. Maybe Mufti sahab(D.B) is referring to Allama sahab's(R.A) immense knowledge of the four mazhabs and ability to issue fatwa according to each mazhab.

As I wrote, Allama Anwar Shah Kashmiri(R.A) called Maulana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi(R.A) as " not only a jurist of the Hanafi mazhab rather jurist of all four mazhabs". This statement is evidence of Maulana Gangohi's (R.A) expertise and ability but that does not mean that he actually would give fatwa on the other three mazhabs(apart from Hanafi).
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2019 19:45

muslimman wrote:
View original post

1. Don't hate me
  2. Don't declare me a Kaafir

For disagreeing but...

Hazrat Mufti Zarwali Khan Saheb (HA) is making stuff up as there is no such thing as a definition of "Shaykhl-Islam"...His own words and application betray his own definition

This is another "strawberry Fatwa"

Allama Zahid Al-Kauthari (RA) neither claimed knowledge of all four (4) Madhabs, nor issued any such thing. In fact neither his supporters nor opposers ever claimed such a thing for him. No Deobandi such as Allamah Yusuf Binnori (RA) ever claimed such a definition. Hazrat Allama Zahid Al-Kauthari (RA) was called "Shaykhul-Islam" because he was the last Mufti of the Ottomans.

Everyone else:

Instead of reading others, spend 30 seconds to read the first paragraph of Hazrat (RA)'s own Fatawa works:

ia800504.us.archive.org/15/items/Fatawa-e-RasheedyahBySha...

Hazrat Allamah Anwar Shah Kashmiri (RA) and other Ulama called Hazrat Mufti Rasheed Ahmed Gangogi (RA) "Faqihun-Nafs" which is entirely different term.

+2 -0
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 15th November 2019 19:53

The position, stature and rank of Allama Zahid Al-Kauthari (RA) is far beyond knowing 4 Madhabs!
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 16th November 2019 04:51
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

1) Anyone can freely express their opinion and add to my knowledge without any fear of being hated or declared a Kafir. So no need to worry my brother.

2) Mufti Zar Wali Khan (D.B) does have his Tafarudhaat and the strawberry fatwa is one of them. His definition of Shaykh Ul Islam can be taken more lightly as it is not a Halal/Haram issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Mufti sahab himself doesn't take this too seriously. I just posted it as I found it interesting.

3) I understand what you said for Allama Kauthari (R.A) and don't have anything to add so lets leave it at that.

4) You have rightfully quoted Allama Anwar Shah(R.A) referring to Maulana Gangohi(R.A) as Faqih un Nafs. This is a well known fact. However it does not disprove that Allama Anwar Shah(R.A) also referred to Maulana Gangohi(R.A) as "jurist of all four mazhabs".

You may ask for the source for this. The answer is that I read this statement of Allama Anwar Shah(R.A) on the Internet and the source was given as some book on the Deobandi Akabireen. I have forgotten the author of the book but it was definitely someone reliable.I did check the book and found this statement of Allama Anwar Shah(R.A).

5) Lastly, do you know of any Aalim in this day and age, or from the past, who did have good knowledge of all four mazhabs? Please share if you do.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 17th November 2019 19:42

Part 1 of 2

Please feel free to check this post with a very Senior Alim as normal Ulama may or may not read or realize it, no disrespect intended

4 Madhabs (laymen Taqleed):

It is an obligation on a laymen to make Taqleed and it is an agreed upon opinion in Islam and there are no disputes. If you do not know then consult Ulama and leave the rest to Allah Ta'ala. It is not your business to know anything beyond that as a laymen. 

You are required to SEEK an Alim with knowledge, Taqwa and the one who is trusted by other Uama and you are done.

You do not need to concern yourself with matters any further.

4 Madhabs (Disputes & Taqleed):

Where there is a legal dispute and Ulama disagree then the Qadha (judgement) of Qadhi lifts the disagreement. It is not because the Qadhi knows four Madhabs (yes he may be extremely knowledgeable) but it is his legal power which gives him the authority.

The obedience of Khaleefa (Caliph) is an obligation in Islam and the obedience of his (duly appointed representative) who in this case is the Qadhi.

Loading Qur'aan Verse

Common Example:

Imam Abu Yusuf (RA) the great student of Imam Abu Haneefa (RA) was a great Master of Hadeeth/Fiqh etc but he is knows as Qadhiul-Qudha (Chief Justice) not because of his knowledge (in which there is no doubt) but due to authority granted to him by Khaleefa Haroon Rasheed (RA).

Hazrat Muhammad Zahid al-Kawthari (RA):

He was a Master of knowledge and there is no doubt. But his authority was granted to him by the Ottoman Khaleefa. He had thousands of Ulama (and students) at his disposal whom he could consult on matters. He was the Chief Justice of the entire Ottoman Caliphate.

Like the Ottomans, during the Mughul Raj in India there were:

1. Village Qadhees
  2. Regional Qadhees
  3. National Qadhees

The entire (original) Dars-e-Nizami was designed to create these Qadhees so Muslims can get solutions to their problems according to Qur'aan and Sunnah and it did not teach all 4 Madhabs (it taught Hanafi Madhab because that was the need).

If you disagreed with their judgement you "may" get your head chopped off because you are openly in denial with the verse of Qur'aan.

A Qadhi does not need to know all 4 Madhabs, he has an entire staff under his authority who can do research and apprise of he situation. It is not his knowledge but his authority which matters.

A "Shaykhul-Islam" was a political title ordained by Khaleefa which granted the authority to:

1. Arbitrate in disputes
  2. Declare Islamic dates (Ramadhan, Eid etc)
  3. Monitor the system of Justice for ordinary Muslims
  4. Monitor the direction of the state and keep unIslamic practices in check

This is how the system was supposed to work but unfortunately some of the pious lost their lives (or their positions) when they objected. Imam Al-Adham Abu Haneefa (RA) R-E-F-U-S-E-D to take the position was tortured and eventually gave his life but did not bow down to the Caliphate.

Imam Abu Yusuf (RA) his student saw the deteriorating circumstances and did the opposite Ijtehaad and felt that the Government of Khaleefa Haroon Rasheed (RA) needed direction of Ulama and accepted the job which his teacher had refused (previously).

The uniqueness of Hanafi Madhab:

Hanafi Madhab is extremely Khilafah (caliphate) heavy to the point where the establishment of Jumuah (Friday) Salah needs the ordainment of Khaleefa (Caliph) hence to this day (17NOV2019) many Hanafi Ulama pray Jumuah and then Pray Dhohar. The majority of Hanafi Ulama do not believe this to be necessary.

The collection and distribution of Zakat system (in the Hanafi system) is also very Khilafah (caliphate) heavy.

Modern example of Qadha:

We have no Khaleefa (caliph today) but certain issues still need to happen. The most common is for women to get their marriage annulled when there is a problem. This task used to be done by Qadhi but we longer have these so in our times it is "Shariah .council" which acts in this capacity.

Our biggest problem?

Our entire legal and judicial system is gone! Our poor can no longer get justice they keep going from court to court and whoever has most money can buy the most expensive attorney and make a mockery of justice. People are being oppressed, their rights are being trampled and nobody can do anything, its a joke.

Taliban system of Qadha:

A mother from Kandahar went to the Qadhi and complained to the Qadhi that her son is lazy and disrespectful. Qadhi sent a Toyota Hilux to the village to investigate with 2 Ulama. The 2 Ulama investigated in the morning and then after Dhohar the son was beaten in front of the Masjid and left only after he publicly apologized to his mother in front of the whole village.

He then promised in front of the whole village that he will get a job.

Do you think that Qadhi of Kandahar or the Ulama in Toyota Hilux knew 4 Madhabs? Let me change the question, do you think they needed to know 4 Madhabs? :P

No, its the authority which matters. When the British colonized India and Ottoman Caliphate was broken it is this authority of Ulama which has been taken away from Ulama. A "Fatwa" without authority is nothing and not enforceable and that is the problem with our people. People can speak non-sense against Qur'aan and Sunnah because there are no consequences.

+5 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 19th November 2019 21:42
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Brother, thank you for this informative post. Masha-Allah, you are well versed in these matters and please keep on increasing our knowledge too.

However, you misunderstood my question. I was not asking about Qadhis and whether or not they need to master the four mazhabs or not. And I am a Hanafi so I am only concerned with the Hanafi perspective on an issue as far as my personal practice is concerned.

My question was, and which I repeat again:

Do you know of any ulama who are well-versed in all four mazhabs? Ulama of contemporary times and of the past?

The reason for me asking this question is simply out of my curiosity. I have a passion for learning about ulama and their research and scholarly pursuit.Nothing else.

My question has nothing to do with an Aalim being a Shaykh Ul Islam or not.

Just like I mentioned Allama Anwar Shah Kashmiri(R.A) referring to Maulana Gangohi(R.A) as "jurist of all four mazhabs". The point was just to illustrate Maulana Gangohi's(R.A) Ilmi status and it has nothing to do with his being a Qadhi or not.
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 20th November 2019 09:40

muslimman wrote:
View original post

Plenty in the past, right now in 2019 (UK)

www.wifaqululama.co.uk/ask/

As a policy, group only answers questions according to Hanafi Madhab but there are multiple Madhab Ulama in the Shura (group) and queries can be escalated to:

1. Maulana Marghoob Ahmed (HA)
  2. Mufti Yusuf Sacha (HA)
  3. Maulana Sameerud-deen Qasmi (HA)

All 3 above have knowledge of all 4 Madhabs as I have witnessed for over 20 years, although they emphasise on Hanafi Madhab. I regularly ask them questions (in private) about other Madhabs for research etc

Maulana Yaqub Qasmi (HA) is a mountain of knowledge but sadly as you may be aware that Hazrat (HA) has memory issues now.

I am sure that there are many such Ulama in South Africa as well.

www.wifaqululama.co.uk/highlat/

Qadhi Imran Falahi (HA) is one of the few qualified Qadhees in UK (there may be more) but I am not aware of them.

+3 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2019 00:44
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Jazak-Allah brother.

May Allah Ta'ala bless all the Ulama including the ones you mentioned with health and aafiyat and long lives and take service of Deen from them.And may Allah Ta'ala make it easy for Maulana Yaqub Qasmi(D.B).

I will be posting what I know about this topic too.
+0 -0Ameen x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 21st November 2019 01:03
Maulana Inam ul Hassan Kandhalvi(R.A)

Maulana Manzoor Mengal(D.B) is a senior Aalim of Pakistan. I know his name was mentioned on this forum and over social media recently because of his strong pro-JUI stance and the speeches he delivered, and he has a unique way of speaking due to which some people may not take him seriously, but putting that aside, his grasp of the Islamic sciences is excellent and this is a fact well known in Pakistan to other Ulama.He has an "Ilmi" nature.

Maulana Manzoor Mengal(D.B), in his talks, often points out that a lot of "Ulama" are actually Khateebs in that they do give speeches and bayans but they are not well-grounded in Uloom. Maulana Mengal(D.B) also does praise the knowledge of some Ulama whom he considers very knowledgeable and when someone gets praised by him then one be rest assured that the praise is well-deserved. ( I am talking about academics here and not politics).

Here is what Maulana Mengal(D.B) said about Maulana Inam ul Hassan Kandhalvi(R.A): ( I am paraphrasing) :

Maulana Inam ul Hassan was a master of Ilm e Meeras (science of inheritance) and Maulana Zakariya Kandhalvi(R.A) would refer people to him for their queries related to this subject.
He then added:
"Maulana Inam ul Hassan, Aimmah Araba ki fiqa kay hafiz thay
Translation: Maulana Inam ul Hassan had memorized the fiqh of the four Imams.

This statement does not have to be taken literally, it just gives us a glimpse of Maulana Inam ul Hassan's knowledge of the four mazhabs.

What I found after trying to research about Maulana Inam ul Hassan(R.A):

Maulana Inam ul Hassan(R.A) had taught Bukhari Shareef too and he was well versed in Hadith too. I read at some place that Maulana(R.A) had studied the entire Fatawa Alamgiri twice, completely.
+4 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2019 14:56
Have you read Mufti Yasir Nadeem al-Wajidi's article on this topic? It was also shared on his Telegram channel.

t.me/Surgicalstrikeyasir/333
+3 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 24th November 2019 21:08
bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

Nice article. Thank you for sharing it. I hadn't read it nor did I know of Mufti Yasir Nadeem al-Wajidi.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2019 09:57
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 25th November 2019 14:12

bint e aisha wrote:
View original post

Jazakallahu Khayran for pointing out the deficiency in my post. I was commenting from a political point of view and Mufti Saheb has commented on the issue holistically.

1. My post is partial
  2. Mufti Saheb's elaboration is more complete

No post ratings