Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Seervai on Partition of India

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 9th June 2019 08:21
H.M. Seervai, Partition of India, Legend and Reality 2nd Edition. (New Delhi: Universal Law Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., 1994)
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 9th June 2019 08:55
1947 : (August 15) India partitioned and Pakistan created in two pieces on either side of India

1948 : MK Gandhi murdered by Hindu Mahasabha operative Nathuram Godse

1948 : Muhammed Ali Jinnah died

1958 : Maulana Abul Kalam Azad writes (or dictates to Professor Humayoon Kabir) India Wins Freedom ( 30 pages of the book with held by him for publication after thirty years in 1988)

1962 : Leonard Mosley writes the Last Days of the British Raj by interviewing the actual British players in the process of partition

1967 : British Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, decides that Partition archives that were to be declassified in 1999 would be declassified

1970 : Publication of the British records starts under title Transfer of Power that would span over 12 volumes, edited by Nicholas Mansergh

1973 : Pendered Moon writes Viceroy's Journal based on Lord Wavell's experience as Viceroy of India from 1942-1946

1980 : Publication of 12 volumes of Transfer of Power completes

1985 Pakistani historian Ayesha Jalal publishes her revisionist book on Jinnah The Sole Spokessman, Jinnah, The Muslim League and the Demand for Pakistan

1986 : A 35 page supplement to his Constitution Law of India entitled Partition of India : Legend and Reality is expanded into 150 pages monograph by H.M. Seervai (Using material from later volumess of Transfer of Power)

1989 : First Edition of Seervai's book on Partition

1994 : Second Edition of the same book by Seervai

+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 10th June 2019 08:08
This is an astounding book.

Whatever we were told about the causes of partition of India have to be revised to such a great extent that one will end with a lot of mental homework to rework out the history leading to partition.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 10th June 2019 08:24
This book completely revises the actual roles and characters of Muhammed Ali Jinnah, MK Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru, Maulana Azad, Sardar Patel and Lord Mountbatten. It also changes the profile of events leading to partition.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 10th June 2019 08:27
The book also completely exposes Rajmohan Gandhi's new incarnation.
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 13th June 2019 10:39
So,what is your deduction from the book ? A little spoon feeding wouldn’t hurt:)

I hope you don’t expect us to be able to read the book or the 12 volumes of transfer of power,do you ?
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 14th June 2019 16:26
ALIF wrote:
View original post
Not a bad idea - to read 13 books! Just kidding.

The usual impression about the partition is that there was a villain called Muhammed Ali Jinnah who was bitten by the partition bug and wanted India divided along religious lines.

Then there were saints like Gandhi and Nehru.

And then there was this upright big boss called Mountbatten, the Viceroy.

And then there were some wise Muslim guys like Maulana Azad and others.

All these myths get busted in a series of publications spanning over a few decades.

The final block buster is Seervai's book.

How the outward image of the main players get revised by these boooks and particularly the last one is the subject matter of this thread.

I hope this give a brief summary.

For those who are interested in the history of partition the conclusions are really astounding.

Muslims have not taken the best advantage of the facts that have tunbled out of these books.

+2 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 14th June 2019 18:06
Maripat wrote:
View original post

JazakAllah khairan sir,but still not sufficient. Looks like we will have to read seervai,s book on our own,provided we could get hold of it,in a small town in the extreme northwest of what was once Indian subcontinent:)
+1 -0
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 15th June 2019 13:30
ALIF wrote:
View original post
Or you could wait for my posts. But on the count I do not promise any time frame. Unfortunately I have taken too many things on my head and hence different things get attention at not so a regular pace and time.

I can not write in detail immediately because all the personalities mentioned above get revised so much that old images have to be discarded.

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 15th June 2019 16:36
I would wait...

جزاک اللہ احسن الجزاء
+1 -0Like x 1