Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Top Members

Sultan Mahmood Ghaznawi and the thieves - real or fiction?

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 16th September 2018 01:17
Assalamu alaikum

I heard a Maulana relate the story of Sultan Ghaznawi and the theives in the Jumua Bayan. He said tue story was related by Maulana Rumi.

I understand the purpose of such a story is to draw certain analogies and lessons from it. My question: is the story quoted and related as an actual incident that occurred, or is it related as a fictional story?

The way the Maulana mentioned the story was as if it was a real incident, comparing the Sultan to Umar R.a. who used to patrol the streets in the nights. But the story does seem farfetched like a scene from a movie. And who can smell if treasure is buried beneath the ground?

I have found the story at these two links:

haqislam.org/sultan-mahmood-ghaznawi-and-the-thieves/

members.home.nl/marcmarti/yugur/folktale/tale30l.htm

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 18th September 2018 22:07
A Maulana who is knowledgeable about Maulana Rumi's works said the following:

Quote:
The Mathnawī is neither a book of history, nor hadith, nor fiqh. Most likely its not authentic. Purpose of the story is the moral or lesson.

If that is the case, one should be explain this to the congregation, especially when they are many new converts, so they don't start doubting what to believe, and mixing up possible/ actual miraculous incidents or narrations with such stories, or start believing any and everything.

But the speaker would first have to be aware of the purpose and context of the story, rather than just quoting any story he reads in a book.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+0 -0Agree x 2