Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Has the legacy of the likes of Shibli Nomani completely been lost

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 20th March 2018 18:48
Assalaam alaikum

Do we still have any living scholars who uphold the legacy of the likes of allamah Shibli Nomani, Anwar shah kashmiri, Suleman nadvi, qazi Suleman mansoorpuri etc.

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd March 2018 10:15

ibnAbrar wrote:
View original post

W-Salam,

Meet Shaykhul-Hadeeth (Maulana) Sameeruddin Qasmi (HA) and Maulana Marghoob Ahmed (HA) in England and then ask the question again.

+3 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd March 2018 13:38
ibnAbrar wrote:
View original post

Can you expand on what you mean by upholding their legacy?
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd March 2018 22:12
think he means same calibre. in which case the answer is no but at the same time are we same calibre as their students? no. so for our time and generation what we have is right for us. imagine likes of shibli, bustami, baghdadi, jilani doing our islaah we wouldnt last a second.

reminds me of a story i heard. once someone came to Ali رضي الله عنه and ask why is it that durin abubakr & umar رضى الله عنها there were no issues but under urs and usmans رضي الله عنه theres so much fitnah. he replied they ruled over people like me and usman رضي الله عنه whilst we ruled over idiots like you.
+2 -0Like x 1Creative x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd March 2018 23:54
I meant what does their legacy entail. Are there any specific parts of their legacy which is being referred to?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd March 2018 04:42
What I mean is that today we don't have ulama who have good insight over world affairs.
Most of the ulama at least the ones that I am aware of have absolutely no involvement in what's going around in the world , are not aware of the scientific advancements. Do not delve into philosophical discussion.
In short today's ulama do not indulge in anything apart from Quran and hadeeth neither do they put any effort to implement Islam in today's world.

I know whatever I have written doesn't makes much sense. But thats the best i can do.
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd March 2018 04:44
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Never heard of them before and I am not in UK
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd March 2018 09:22
Brother, these Ulama are known amogst their students and contemporaries. They become legends after they pass on. So when Ulama of our time pass on and are highly talked about, they too will become legends of an era.

If you are looking for a living legend, that just doesn't happen. Shaitan is there till the last breath.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd March 2018 13:31
There may be a few in each community at different levels, but since they are so many darul uluum graduates , and we refer to all of them as Ulama, the percentage would seem very low.

Another contributing factor is the separation of knowledge into 'deeni' knowledge and 'worldly' knowledge, and the traditional bad talking and putting down of 'worldly knowledge'.

I once was in a tablighi bayan and the speaker was complaining that our children spend over Six hours in school and only less than 3 hours in maktab. He was also downplaying the importance of the education imparted in school. Well maktab is very inefficient right now, at least the children get maximum benefit from the time at school as opposed to lots of time passing idly on maktab. Also due to the current setup, children have less time for extra curricular activities.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Eraf
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd March 2018 16:17
ibnAbrar wrote:
View original post

hazrat maulana khalilur rahman sajjad nomani (db) is very worldly wise and a great asset to the ummah, especially indian muslims.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd March 2018 18:02
Though less, but there are many scholars in this aspect. Even if you are not able to meet them in person you can read their books and listen to lectures and get benefitted. Below are some scholars who speak and have written books on topics like Finance, Banking, current issues etc.

Mufti Taqi Usmani (DB) - muftitaqiusmani.com/en/?avada_portfolio=present-financial...
Mufti Muhammad Saeed Khan (DB) - www.seerat.net/Audio/Audio.aspx
Maulana Khalid Saifullah Rahmani - www.besturdubooks.net/tag/maulana-khalid-saifullah-rahman...

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd March 2018 19:09
Not sure if these 2 ulama come under the same legacy, but from those that are famous in the UK whom I have listened to live, sh Hasan Ali and Mufti Abdur Rahman ibn Yusuf Mangera have a different mentality than what we are accustomed to, and encourage Muslims to change our outlook on the deen.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 23rd March 2018 21:03
To have insight into world affaires, current issues etc...that would entail shuyukh getting out in the mud, not staying in khanqah or satisfying themselves with ONLY teaching quran/hadith/fiqh and think khlass job completed no need to go where our teachers have not gone.

An entire generation needs support against materialism, community dynamics, lobbying, and many other things and what advanced people in religion did ? Debate asharism/last polemic in tabligh/sufism etc...wa l ahawla wa la quwwata illa billah.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 24th March 2018 02:01
Zubayr wrote:
View original post

We are limiting ourselves to the scholars of subcontinent (or those originating from there). There might be great scholars in Arab world whom we don’t even know or care to know...

Same goes for Sufia and mashaikh.We tend to ignore some big personalities of Arab world,Africa etc when we try to look for big mashaikh and scholars . The reality is,world is not limited to subcontinent,we find great scholars,Sufi’s,mujahid and muballigh everywhere,some even more well known in their respective areas and have influenced thousands. Like the great sanusi,s and Usman dan fodio—-

I understand the above personalities mentioned do not belong to our time. I was just making a point that if we try to look elsewhere we may find great scholars even today..
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 25th March 2018 22:20

ibnAbrar wrote:
View original post

www.wifaqululama.co.uk/

جزاك اللهُ خيرًا
+1 -0Like x 1