It is a famous statement among the Muhaddithun:
‘When reciting Hadith, Allah Ta’ala’s special mercies descend.’
(Tadribur Rawi, vol.4 pg.540)
During times of difficulty, fear and hardship, in addition to Quran recital and other forms of du’a etc, one practice of our pious predecessors; recent and ancient is to recite the entire Sahih Bukhari in order to draw Allah Ta’ala’s special mercy.
Sahih Bukhari consists of among the most authentic Hadiths of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) ever gathered. Through the blessings (barakah) of reciting these noble Hadiths, Allah Ta’ala removes adversity. This is a well tried and tested practice & is based on centuries of experience.
The Muhaddithun in the past and present would recite the entire Bukhari for alleviating – among other things-:
Fear and terror,
Personal needs etc.
1. The famed commentator of Sahih Bukhari; Hafiz Ibn Hajar Al-‘Asqalani (rahimahullah) writes:
‘Among the many other virtues of Sahih Bukhari, is what the senior Imam Ibn Abi Jamrah (rahimahullah) has mentioned:
‘Some pious people mentioned to me that whenever Sahih Bukhari was recited in times of suffering, it was removed. The ship that has a copy of Sahih Bukhari on board, doesn’t sink. The reason for this is that Imam Bukhari (rahimahullah) was one whose du’as were readily accepted by Allah Ta’ala (mustajabud da’wah) and he made special du’a for those who recited his book.’
(Hadyus Sari, pg.16, also see Tadribur Rawi, vol.1 pg.316)
2. ‘Allamah Tajud Din As-Subki (rahimahullah) writes:
‘As is quite famous, there are many experiences of Sahih Bukhari being a means of alleviating problems and fulfilling needs. Quoting these incidents would take a long while.
(Tabaqatush Shafi’iyyah, vol.2 pg.234)
3. The famous comentator of Quran (mufassir) Hafiz Ibn Kathir (rahimahullah) states:
‘Reciting Sahih Bukhari is effective in seeking rain.’
(Irshadus Sari, vol.1 pg.42, Fathul Ilah, vol.1 pg.75, Mirqatul Mafatih, vol.1 pg.58 & Al-Kanzul Mutawari, vol.1 pg.174)
4. ‘Allamah Sakhawi (rahimahullah) mentioned that during the calamity in Homs (Syria), in the year 680 A.H. the entire Sahih Bukhari was recited. After this the fear of attack from the enemy vanished. Alhamdulillah.
(Al-Wajhus Sabih, pg.21)
5. The Popular commentator of Riyadus Salihin; Imam Muhammad ibn ‘Ali ibn ‘Allan (rahimahullah) writes:
‘When Zabid (a place in Yemen) was surrounded by the enemy [in the tenth century A.H.] they were gripped with fear, Imam Ibnud Dayba’ (rahimahullah) instructed that Sahih Bukhari be divided into parts, and its recital be completed. Before the next morning, the enemy departed and their condition was eased.’
(Al-Wajhus Sabih, pg.22)
6. Ibn ‘Allan (rahimahullah) writes further, that in his era too [the eleventh century A.H.] the inhabitants of Basrah recited Sahih Bukhari to avert danger, and Allah Ta’ala eased their adversity.
(Al-Wajhus Sabih, pg.22)
7. Shah Al-Muhaddith ‘Abdul ‘Aziz Dehlawi (rahimahullah) writes:
‘Reciting [the entire] Sahih Bukhari is very effective during times of hardship, fear of attack, during illness or drought and other calamities as is widely experienced.
(Bustanul Muhaddithin, pg. 155)
8. Shaykhul Hadith Moulana Muhammad Zakariyya Kandehlawi (rahimahullah) writes:
‘Shah ‘Abdul Haq Dehlawi (rahimahullah) writes in Ash’athul Lam’at, that many ‘Ulama and Mashayikh have recited Sahih Bukhari for the successful fulfillment of needs, removal of difficulty, repelling calamity, and curing the ill. They found it to be extremely effective. This is something that has become extremely widespread and well known to the Muhaddithun.
(Muqaddimah Lami’ud Darari; see Al-Kanzul Mutawari, vol.1 pg.174-175)
9. Hazrat Shaykhul Hadith Moulana Muhammad Zakariyya Kandehlawi (rahimahullah) writes further: Shaykh Muhaddith Sayyid Jamaluddin (rahimahullah) states that his teacher, Shaykh Sayyid Asiluddin said; ‘I have recited Sahih Bukhari about one hundred and twenty times for my personal needs and those of others. At every attempt, my motives were fulfilled.’
(Muqaddimah Lami’ud Darari; see Al-Kanzul Mutawari, vol.1 pg.175, Mirqat, vol.1 pg.58-59)
10. Shaykhul Hadith Moulana Fadlur Rahman A’zami (hafizahullah)has a section in his introduction to Sahih Bukhari entitled:
Reciting Sahih Bukhari is effective in repelling calamity.
He thereafter cites the above two quotes.
(Hadiyyatud Darari, pg.75)
Recent practices of our seniors
1. In Darul ‘Uloom Deoband, when a senior teacher was ill this practice would be implemented with the motive of shifa (cure).
This was even done when Hazrat Mufti Mahmudul Hasan Gangohi saheb (rahimahullah) fell severely ill.
2. ‘Allamah Muhammad Yusuf Binnory (rahimahullah) would -in his madrasah in Karachi- also resort to this at times of need. He would gather suitable reciters and make them complete a swift recital of Sahih Bukhari followed by earnest du’a.
3. The ‘Ulama of Saharanpur also utilised this practice from time to time.
4. Moulana Zafar Ahmad ‘Uthmani (rahimahullah) would resort to reciting Bukhari Shareef when he would take ill, as a means of attaining shifa (cure).
(Ma’alim Irshadiyyah, pg.204)
5. In the recent past, the reliable ‘Ulama of Madinah Munawwarah would also gather during times of difficulty to complete a recital of Sahih Bukhari with the motive of easing hardships.
There were several individuals who would arrange such gatherings in Madinah, one of them being by the pious Shaykh, Zakariyya Al-Bukhari (rahimahullah) – an outstanding and unique Wali of Allah Ta’ala. My teacher, Al-Muhaddith Shaykh Muhammad ‘Awwamah (hafizahullah) would attend this particular one.
These are our predecessors and our precedents…
Let’s revive this!
In keeping with this, those ‘Ulama who are capable of engaging in a complete recital of Sahih Bukhari are implored to please do so for the general plight of the Ummah, and every other severe need.
This can be achieved in a few short hours wherein able reciters gather and each of them simultaneously recite a part individually.
Once the recital is complete, a du’a can be made.
Kindly remember the writer, his parents & family, teachers, students and well-wishers in that du’a too.
May Allah Ta’ala restore peace on earth soon, very soon.
وما ذلك على الله بعزيز
Note: In such a gathering there is no harm in the general masses being present for the blessings (barakah), as there is no formal ijazah that is given to the attendees.
And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,