You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
bint e aisha, abu mohammed
Rank Image
London
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 1st February 2018 11:22
This is one topic that I did touch upon in a thread called "Self Inflicted Evil Eye*"

At that time, the aim of my thread was to stop the evil eye. But this has become even more terrible.

Many may think that this is old stuff, but we all meet challenges at various times of our lives. One of them is seeing our friends and family growing up, the dangers and Fitnah of the Selfie's and how we are sharing our private life with unknown non mahram's and others.

I personally find it despicable and try hard to stop friends family members from posting selfies on social media. It's not just selfies that are being posted, its even stories of a day out*, family fun, private moments and so on.

I also hate profile pictures* of people. Even innocent photos causes another to wonder off in the wrong direction. One day you see a Shaykhs profile picture, then next day you start seeing photos of others and the opposite gender, and then you start downloading other apps to get closer and closer, eventually you start going in the wrong direction* and then it's too late.

I was hoping if members could share anecdotes or short talks on the dangers of selfies etc.

Also try these threads for encouragement:
Self Inflicted Evil Eye
Family Day Out
Satanic Whispers
Profile Pictures

Halalified YT Audio
report post quote code quick quote reply
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 1st February 2018 11:54
Selfitis

Among the greatest qualities of a Believer is humility. Conversely, pride and arrogance are among the worst diseases that can afflict a person. A humble person is beloved to Allāh Ta‘ala and is also loved by people, while a proud person or one who loves to “show off” falls from the grace of Allāh Ta‘ala and is disliked by people as well, though they may appear to respect him.

Pride and vanity are not detected by means of an X-ray or CT scan. Instead they are manifested in one’s utterances, reactions to situations, choices, manner and general conduct. One of the recently discovered symptoms is “Selfitis”.

Inflamed Ego and Narcissism

The Psychiatrists have defined “Selfitis” as being “the obsessive, compulsive urge to take photos of one’s self and upload them on social media.” In essence, the victims of this illness are major attention seekers[1]. They further explained that the suffix “itis” by which the word ends generally refers to inflammation. Hence bronchitis refers to inflammation of the lungs and tonsillitis to the inflammation of the tonsils. Thus this disorder was named “Selfitis” as the people who suffer from it are generally prone to having “Inflamed egos” which leads to Narcissism.[2]

Pious Disorder

In Makkah al-Mukarramah, authorities are concerned about people causing serious congestion by stopping to take selfies of themselves in the midst of making tawāf (circumbulation) of the Kā’bah. “We now have people who during the Friday prayers, instead of listening to the Imam, prefer to take pictures of worshippers or to indulge in selfies. The problem is that you cannot talk to them because these are the Friday prayers and worshippers must not speak at all,” authorities said.

Another pilgrim, Khalid Al-Shimrani, a Kuwaiti, said: “The sight of the Kā’bah is truly wonderful and being next to it is an exhilarating experience that I would love to share with my friends and followers on social media,”. [3]

Doesn’t Mr. Shimrani know that the exhilarating experience is that of the heart? A selfie cannot capture a feeling of ecstasy, only an emotion of the face. Can one be so devoid of spirituality at a place when he is supposed to be full of it? Is the Kā’bah an entertainment hot-spot? Can a selfie help one to relive an intensely spiritual moment in which you are drowned in communication with your Lord?

The ahādīth have sounded numerous warnings for people who engage in the sin of photography. Apart from these warnings, when a person is filled with such vanity and conceit that his ego tricks him into thinking that the entire world is simply dying to share every moment of his mundane life with him, and thus he cannot see past his own face, how is he supposed to see the majesty and glory of Allāh Ta‘ala?

Finally, it’s understandable that all humans have a desire to be recognized and appreciated, or to relive some of their memories, but this is not achieved by photographs or selfies. We need the recognition and approval of our Creator, and not His creation. In our most intense moments of prayer and spirituality, there is no thought of anyone but Him, why destroy this sacredness with a picture? This year, take the best selfie on the day Eid, that of your heart, and present it to your Lord. Wait for the ‘like’ or ‘dislike’ on the Day of Judgment.

Footnotes:

[1]- Barry, C. T., Doucette, H., Loflin, D. C., Rivera-Hudson, N., & Herrington, L. L. (2015, June 29). “Let Me Take a Selfie”: Associations Between Self-Photography, Narcissism, and Self-Esteem. “Let Me Take a Selfie”: Associations Between Self-Photography, Narcissism, and Self-Esteem. Available from: www.researchgate.net/publication/281317126_Let_Me_Take_a_... [accessed Jun 22, 2017].

[2]- Gwendolyn Seidman Ph.D. Are Selfies a Sign of Narcissism and Psychopathy? Available from: www.psychologytoday.com/blog/close-encounters/201501/are-... [accessed Jun 22, 2017].

[3]- gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/kaaba-selfies-trigger...

Published by: Naseeha Channel (Telegram)
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 1st February 2018 11:55
Selfie craze and evil eye

New car? Take a selfie. Put it on social media.

Child's birthday? Take a slefie. Put it on social media.

New job? Take a selfie. Put it on social media.

Nice meal? Take a selfie. Put it on social media.

Got married? Take a selfie. Put it on social media.

Performed Hajj/Umrah? Take a selfie. Put it on social media.

New look? Take a selfie. Put it on social media. All done?

Then we wonder why things go terribly wrong.

Allah Almighty says 'And from the evil of the envier when he envies'. (113:5)

The Messenger صلى الله عليه وآله وصحبه وسلم said 'the evil eye is real'. (Hadeeth)

A private life, is a safe life. But it's difficult to kill the ego and desire, and not share half of our lives with half the world.

May Allah Almighty protect us all from the evil eye

Ameen
+2 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd February 2018 18:21
Why should Momin give so much importance to ‘self’ and its ‘physical appearances’ ?

It is written that a mirror belonging to the family of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani ra dropped to ground accidentally by his servant and broke into pieces. The servant got scarred he will be made responsible for it but had to tell the Shaikh. The book writes the words he used : از قضاء آئینہ چینی شکست ( It was destined that the Chinese made precious mirror has broken). The Shaikh spontaneously responded : خوب شد آئینِ خود بینی شکست ( It is good that the tool of seeing ‘self’ is broken).

Selfie is a reflection of self.. and ‘self’ is a false image of ego. We are supposed to annihilate ego and not to magnify it.
+4 -0Like x 1Winner x 3