Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

What do you think about statues based on religious arguments

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 30th September 2017 23:42
Salam

There is a flat/apartment for sale at a good price in the UK. It is located in a building that has statues of animals carved into the front as part of the design / city logo. I try to avoid statues as much as possible.

I wanted to know what would you do in my shoes? Should I let this one go? It's a good price (I think)

We are not worshiping the statues and I would like to think no one else is either, they are the city logo and maybe some other animal too.

I know there is the hadith about pictures of an animal on curtains or cushions that the prophet salalaho alayhi wasalam did not like (correct me if I'm wrong)
But then counter to this there is hadith about the doll for Aisha (correct me if I'm wrong)

The 10 commandments in the Hebrew Bible states that there should be no graven images

But in the Quran 34:13 there is mention of images/statues (relying on English translation so not sure how well it has been translated from the Arabic) being made for Sulaiman aleyhi salam

And we have mirrors that reflect our images

So if we are not worshiping them are they allowed? Or are they not allowed? More specifically should I leave this flat because of the statues carved in the walls?

(Note: the hadiths and religious texts mentioned in this post should be verified by someone more religious than me, I do no know if I have interpreted anything wrong or made any mistakes)
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 1st October 2017 10:26
salaam

if they are part of the property that you will own then just deface them.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 1st October 2017 10:42
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

That would be criminal damage! He is talking about owning a flat inside a building that contains statues.

You get loads of these old warehouses and factories being turned into flats/apartments that have statues and engravings carved into the entrances and archways.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 1st October 2017 11:00
Abdur Rahman ibn Awf wrote:
View original post

if it is his property, i.e he has ownership over it then he should deface them. he may need to check if it has a preservation order on it before defacing it.

if it belongs to someone else and he doesnt have ownership of it then why worry about it? why would he be responsible for something he has no control over?
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 1st October 2017 11:13
xs11ax wrote:
View original post

Yeah thats what I was thinking.

If your buying a flat in a building with several units you will only own the leasehold to the flat/apartment and pay a yearly service charge . The Building in which the flat is located will belong to someone else.

I presume he is talking about the following type of images ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000XnykpMqDsiE/fit=1000...

No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 1st October 2017 12:58
at-Tirmidhi (2806) and Abu Dawood (4158) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Jibreel came to me and said: I was going to come to you yesterday and nothing prevented me from entering upon you in the house where you were except that at the door of the house there were some statues of men, and in the house there was a curtain on which there were images, and there was a dog in the house. So tell someone to cut off the heads of the statues that are by the door of the house, so that they will become like trees, and tell someone to take down the curtain and make it into two cushions which can be thrown on the floor and on which people may step, and tell someone to take the dog out.” So the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did that. The dog was a puppy belonging to al-Hasan or al-Husayn, and it was under a bed of his, and he ordered that it be taken out.

This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 68
No post ratings