You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Taalibah
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 26th September 2017 20:43
www.independent.co.uk/news/world/saudi-arabia-women-drive...

Saudi Arabia lifts ban on women driving

Change will be fully implemented by 2018, royal decree from King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud states

The King of Saudi Arabia has issued a decree allowing women to drive, state media has said.

The order - issued by King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud - overturned a longstanding policy which had become a powerful symbol of oppression. The conservative kingdom is currently the only country where the act of women driving is forbidden.

The move was announced on television and also by the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with the royal decree mandating the creation of a ministerial body to give advice on the practicalities of the edict within 30 days and a full implementation of the order by June 2018.

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 27th September 2017 13:02
What I was thinking, and this can apply to.other groups and other issues. From Sh Abdul Wahab Saleem on fb:

Quote:
Look at this madness. This is what happens when you make things ḥarām without any logical reason; except for the desires of your "master". This is what happens when the orders of your "master" are more dear to you than commandments of your Maker.

All these years, the Saudi official clergymen had worked hard to attempt to religiously legitimize the barring of women from driving and here we are as the politics are changing so too are the fatāwā. Now it's ḥalāl, and I wouldn't doubt that it could become wājib soon if needed. In a fatwā written by "The Standing Committee for Scholarly Research and Issuing Fatwa" about women driving in the 90s, they simply answered, “This is impermissible without a doubt...” Such fatāwā were pouring everywhere throughout the 90s and they continued to occasionally surface through the first decade of the new century.

All sorts unusual reasons were used to justify this. “Women are intellectually inferior to men. They have half a brain.” Some went a step further and said, “They have a quarter brain when they go shopping.” “Women will cause car accidents as they are emotional.” Really? Women are the cause of car accidents in Saudi Arabia?! “They will start dating men.” As if men will not date them back! “They will be alone with foreign men!” As if they are not alone with their personal drivers already! “Driving harms the ovaries of women, and that's why Americans, French, and Europeans just have 2-3 three children because of their ovaries malfunctioning!?” Really?!

If you are trying to make sense of the previous justifications, don't. They make no sense. Now they are saying, it's completely ḥalāl as that is that 'the default ruling of anything other than acts of worship'.

Don't trust government infiltrated fatwā bodies. Don't trust "Islamic studies" or any studies that are being steered for political purposes. Academics require political freedom to remain objective.

As Said Nursi (r) would say, “I seek refuge with Allah from Satan and politics...”

P.S. Many unusual fatāwā will surface in the coming days which have nothing to do with Islam, and many old fatāwā will be retracted which had nothing to do with Islam.
+2 -0Like x 1Creative x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 27th September 2017 17:15
Bismillah
No one can damage deen and Muslims as much as we Muslims ourselves.
+2 -0Like x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 27th September 2017 17:41
Umm Khadeejah wrote:
View original post

very true. not onyl did they give islam a bad name for banning women ( for no islamic reason) they have only changed law as part of their modernisation program and probably at the instructions of their rabb donald trump. now it going to portray muslims only having rights and equality if they become modern and leave 'backward' islam
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 27th September 2017 18:59
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

I am not sure what the was the real reasoning behind not allowing women in saudi to drive. The fatwas I am hearing about are trying to give reasons to show why the actual act of driving is wrong for women . And the reasons given are crazy!
There are fatwas from deobandi ulama which say women should not drive unless in dire cases, but this is due to the reason that the women should remain at home , and driving for different purposes give them excuses to leave the home. This is the same reasoning used for women not allowing to attend the masjid , and perform other activities, as it is not seen as a" valid need " for women to leave the home to take part In such activities.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 27th September 2017 19:26
in UK id prefer if women ( visable signs of islam) to drive as they are most likely in the firing line of islamaphobes even though i do consider women as bad drivers lol.

fact is saudi is only doing this after trumps visit and part of their 2030 modernisation. in our lifetime expect saudi to become like dubai or worse. cinemas and theatrs are already opening even in the haramain, bikinis will be allowed on the new jeddeh resort with alcohol available too
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 28th September 2017 09:24
Women will be able to drive from June 2018 due to manufacturing needs. This opens a whole new marketing strategy and the demands will need to be met.

The new Carbayah :)
+1 -0Creative x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 28th September 2017 09:47
whats embarassin to see is the pathetic palace scholars of saudi. they really have no shame. up til 2 days ago they were defending the right to ban and trying to justify islamically. now like chameleons they are praising it.
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 1st October 2017 14:21
www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-30/wheels-and-deals-troubl...

Wheels And Deals: Trouble Is Brewing In The House Of Saud

The diversionary tactic masks serious trouble in the court. A Gulf business source with intimate knowledge of the House of Saud, having held a number of personal meetings with members, told Asia Times that “the Fahd, Nayef, and Abdullah families, the descendants of King Abdulaziz al Saud and his wife Hassa bin Ahmed al-Sudairi, are forming an alliance against the ascendancy to the Kingship of the Crown Prince.”

More in link above.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 6th October 2017 00:39
Daniel Haqiqatjou
27 September at 21:46 ·

Important Reflections from Ustadh Bassam Zawadi on Saudi allowing women to drive.

Saudi Allowing Women to Drive…..Some of My Scattered Thoughts…
First Thought:
We learn how disastrous it is to interlink your religious beliefs with the domestic and foreign policies of governments. What a great embarrassment it is for those who just last year blasted women driving as haram, but are now congratulating the government for its “wise decision”. Have they not lost credibility in the eyes of the public?
Second Thought:
I don’t necessarily judge those scholars who are openly supporting the decision now…… I mean, their very silence, let alone speaking against it, could land them in jail!!! Saudi anticipated that they were going to get pushback for this decision, so what did they decide to do? They decided to arrest over a dozen scholars a few weeks ago for merely not supporting them enough. You heard me right. They didn’t arrest them for what they said, but rather for what they did not say enough. This sent a strong signal and warning to everyone else and so now the scholars are forced to support Saudi policy out of fear of imprisonment. Silence isn’t an option for them, particularly for those of them who have a huge fan base.
Third Thought:
I was personally heartbroken when I heard the news. NOT because I am against women driving, but because of the circumstances that has influenced this decision. The international and economic pressure for Saudi to become more liberal is serious and “women driving” is just the start of it. Next are cinemas, okay fine. But eventually in a decade’s time, let’s not be surprised if it looks a bit more like Dubai. Not farfetched at all. Saudi Arabia has undergone tremendous change in this last decade alone. Right now, with your own bare eyes, in Saudi Arabia you could see young men and women flirting with each other and dating with police officers just staring at them and doing nothing about it. You now find women being more loose and free in how they dress in public. Television channels are not censoring bad words and certain scenes as they used to. Etc. etc. This was unthinkable once upon a time ago, but now it’s becoming quite common. The “religious police” didn’t merely reform their methods, rather their powers are being curbed and they cannot do anything about such public displays of munkar. This is not a good sign at all.
Fourth Thought:
Liberalism will be the ideology that would wreak havoc on the Muslim Ummah for a good while. Perhaps throughout the entirety of our generation, if not also our children’s as well. This is extremely unfortunate. The reason why it looks like a long term problem is because:
- Governments are becoming more successful in their propaganda
- World economy is freaking out people and the number one concern on people’s minds is job security and stability, REGARDLESS of what it takes
- Apoliticism has infected all strands of Muslim groups
- Many Muslim students of knowledge and scholars are facilitating the spread of liberalism in the name of “free speech and academic open mindedness”
- Many Muslim students of knowledge and scholars are becoming infected by the “maqasid” and “pragmatism” line of thought and are feeling quite satisfied with the status quo, as long as one "memorizes Qur’an and improves his Arabic"
Etc.. I could rant forever here, but you all get the point.
Fifth Thought:
It is becoming more and more dangerous to simply preach traditional classical Islamic viewpoints on matters now. In light of this, it’s very important that we put CONSIDERABLE EXTRA EFFORT to know what our children are being taught about Islam at school (because you could only imagine who approves the curriculum) and to educate ourselves even more so that we don’t fall prey to falsehood and to also teach our children as well.
In sum, let’s stop examining the decision itself and focus more on the circumstances that have motivated it.
+4 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 6th October 2017 15:08
I have lived, worked and studied in Saudi Arabia and I concur with some of the moments. However, you also need to realise the impact of Taliabn like policies on the population. People rebel (and become beasts) the minute the Taliban like tactics are lifted.

+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
India
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 21st February 2018 07:41
No post ratings