Topic Appreciation
Appreciate
The following members appreciate this topic: abu mohammed, najimuddin
Maripat
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 28th April 2017 08:30
Music is difficult enough to deal with in real life.

Films and TV are more difficult. Go to any movie theatre at the time of a show ending. And watch a swarm of Burqa clad Muslim women spilling out of the theatres. Wives drooling over film stars right beside her shameless husband must be the order of the day inside the theatre. It certainly is there in the drawing room.

"Salman Khan bada handsome lag raha hai is aane wali film mein - Salman Khan looks so dashing in this new coming film," said my Muslim friend's sister in our presence.

It is all havoc around me and it seems I am the only one mourning.
report post quote code quick quote reply
Agree x 5
Site Support
Please DONATE generously towards Muftisays

We spend hundreds of hours ensuring you receive a quality service from this site. We do not fall into the advertisement schemes as all the ads contain elements of Haraam including Haraam Islamic links. Please consider setting up a £1 monthly donation. May Allah (swt) reward you.

Maripat
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 28th April 2017 08:32

The untold story of Jews in Indian cinema

Atul Dev 21st Sep 2013

t was by chance that I found that story" Ben-Moshe told me. In 2006, a student of Danny Ben-Moshe, a documentary filmmaker and professor at Deakin University, mailed him the obituary of Florence Ezekiel, popularly known as Nadira, "the quintessential vamp" of Bollywood. With an intention to make a documentary on the Jewish actress, Danny travelled to India for research. Only to find, "she was just the tip of an iceberg."

In the early years of Indian cinema, there prevailed a surreal scenario. Though women acted in plays and such, appearing on celluloid was still not considered a seemly profession among Hindus and Muslims. Solution: Brawny men, draped in saris, wearing bangles would play women. Cavorting around the screen and turning motion picture into, as Danny suggested, "A Monty Python skit."

"Jewish families living in India were relatively more liberal, so they started to perform in movies", explained Ben-Moshe. They adopted familiar sounding names, so that they would be accepted easily by the audience. The people behind those names are gone today and so is the history they conceal in them. Ben-Moshe's documentary explores this bygone aspect in the history of Indian cinema.

Shalom Bollywood: The Untold Story of Indian Cinema, explores the role a small community of migrants played in shaping, what was to become, the world's biggest film industry.
{
The documentary explores the role a small community of migrants played in shaping, what was to become, the world’s biggest film industry.

Of the long list of Jewish actresses; Ruby Myers (Sulochana) remembered for her famous 1927 movie Wildcat of Bombay, Susan Soloman (Firoza Begum) and Esther Abraham, the first Miss India, are worth noting. Later, David Abraham Cheulkar, starring in more than a hundred films, did memorable roles as "Uncle David" of Boot Polish and Golmaal. Ezekiel herself appeared in almost as many movies, usually playing the tormentor of a helpless female protagonist.

Sulochna

The influence of Jews on the industry, much like Hollywood, can also be seen behind the camera. Jospeh Penkar David wrote India's talking feature-film, Alam Ara in 1931.The famed choreographer David Herman was desired by top directors of the time. Bunny Reuben, biographer of Raj Kapoor, was also a gifted publicist and worked as publicity manager for movies by Yash Chopra, Prakash Mehra and BR Chopra among others.

During his five trips to India, Danny met the relatives of these deceased stars, browsed through libraries and visited old houses to collect enough material for the documentary. The film, Danny told me, tells the story of these artists through the clips of films in which they appeared.

Many of these starlets worked with top-billing producers, directors and actors, so the documentary, essentially, accounts the early times of Bollywood. New studios, affairs, feuds, male heart-throbs and such. Rishi Kapoor, among other senior figures, also appears in the documentary.

David Abraham Cheulkar

The documentary also captures their fall from grace in the industry. Even in those times, this industry was just as unforgiving to a fading star as it is today. Stories of bankruptcy and careers consumed by alcohol were just as prevalent. Both Ezekiel and Myers spent their later years alone after unsuccessful marriages.

The documentary also covers the larger history of Indian Jews. The Bane Israel tribe lived for over 2000 years along the Konkan coast, turning to Mumbai at the turn of twentieth century. The Baghdadi Jews on the other hand, migrated to India from the Middle East in the early 19th century, and continue to live here today in large numbers. Danny chuckles at the idea of how he made this journey in a 20 minute boat ride.

The documentary will hopefully be completed this year. "I tried to change the theme of the movie as we were editing", says Ben-Moshe. Initially the film was about the stardom of these actors and their contribution to Bollywood; now it is a more personal story of these faded luminaries.

Source : Sunday Guardian
No post ratings
abu mohammed
Rank Image
Longevity:
28%
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 28th April 2017 09:33
Maripat wrote:
View original post

I've mentioned this before, where I was walking up the escalator on my way to a prayer room (Inside a mal in London). As I was walking up the escalator, I could see so many brothers and sisters in their sunnah clothing walking down with huge smiles on their faces. At first I thought it was the happiness of being able to offer their salah. As thier escalator went down and I went up, I could hear them discussing the latest movie they just watched in the cinema inside the same mall. I felt so gutted to be so wrong.
Like x 1
mkdon101
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 28th April 2017 09:56
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

this is just the tip of the iceburg. go to uni campuses you will see far worse and im talking about men and women in full sunnah and niqab,
Agree x 3
Maripat
Rank Image
Longevity:
0%
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 12th November 2017 15:04
Glamorised prostitution sanitised politics

The sexual depravity acted out in Hollywood films is called 'just acting', when they are performed before filming, they are called 'auditions'. The most famous actors and actresses get paid to carry out, simulate sexual acts for money. Somehow, unimaginably, unbelievably, apparently unexpectedly, the immorality and depravity performed in front of a film crew and director for money becomes part and parcel of the industry. In reality this lewd depravity is integral to the industry, rather the film industry produced the depravity offscreen.

Sex sells, and so it is well known that young actresses in Bollywood and Hollywood sleep their way to the top, males do the same, child actors do the same often with parents turning a blind eye, and there is always a casting director, producer frequenting in parties in predatory fashion that is ready to oblige. We only have a problem when another person exploits, but if a women commodifies her own sexuality and exploits her own body for money, this is empowerment and equality that brings fame and praise. We are told we all have individual freedom, I guess that makes it easier to accept someone's mother, sister and daughter simulating sex with various men in front on other men holding cameras and others who have it live-streamed to their homes.

Just as we are witnesses of a crisis in the film industry there is a problem with the political system too, the problems are not the actors wearing masks in the theatre, the real problem comes from the political theatre being congenial, fertile and corrupt by design, the problems are not aberrations they are inherent, they have always gone on.

Within the loose secular moral compass we are taught to separate the lying and cheating of the politician from the politics and the sexual harassment from the contribution to film. Islam teaches us that if they have no shame, they are capable of anything.

Source : Moinul Abu Hamza ;s FB Status
No post ratings
Back to top Post New Topic