Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Comprehensive Pakistan Thread

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abuzayd2k, bint e aisha, Abdur Rahman ibn Awf, sipraomer, tanveerzakee, sharjan8643
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#271 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 10:08
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#272 [Permalink] Posted on 8th May 2019 20:00
Can you please give us a ‘summary’ of your findings,whenever you have some free time (if at all),along with your conclusions as to how and why partition happened,when even jinnah did not want it ? Was Patel responsible for it ? Was it that Hindu extremists did not want to have such a huge Muslim population in India (Pakistani Muslims+Indian Muslims+Bangladeshi Muslims=HUGE) ? OR was it somehow in the interest of British imperialists to pre-empt emergence of a ‘would be’ superpower in Asia,which a united India undoubtedly would have been by now ?

I admit,i could not get what Ayesha Jalal proposed in her interview with Qasmi Sahib.Looks like the issues were more complex and confusing than what we learned in our schools.I am familiar with the propsed concept of ‘autonomous regions’ within Indian federation though....

Is she talking about the same thing ?

Or is it that jinnah did want a separate country BUT with entire Punjab and entire Bengal being part of Pakistan ? (In other words without ‘partition ‘ of Bengal and punjab). Was he that naive to think he would get it ?

It does not make sense....
+2 -0
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#273 [Permalink] Posted on 17th June 2019 05:32
An interview with Professor Pervez Hoodbhuy
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#274 [Permalink] Posted on 17th June 2019 07:55
Highly enlightening. If you spend most of your life being so angry, especially at your religion, it's not surprising that you would not be left with any significant achievements in the field that you specialize in and claim to love so much. No wonder he talks about "unfulfilled ambitions".
No post ratings
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#275 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2019 05:45
fod1083 wrote:
View original post

You have made very interesting observations ya akhi.

On the other hand after going through this interview I felt little less angry with him.

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#276 [Permalink] Posted on 18th June 2019 05:52
Maripat wrote:
View original post

I agree. I feel the same way.

One ray of hope that I saw in the interview was that at the very least he was able to distinguish between being a Muslim and an Ismaili. Usually, secular people tend to think of Ismailism as another version of Islam. The way he talked about it though, it seemed he didn't feel the same way.
Quote:
This was my conversion into proper Islam and I started going to masjid.

+2 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#277 [Permalink] Posted on 20th June 2019 17:23
I want to comment on Hina Rabbani Khar's position in this clip.

And by now I am already feeling lonely about the battle that we Muslims have no option but to fight to get our intellectual space back to us.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#278 [Permalink] Posted on 28th June 2019 16:02
I find that Mufti Ajmal Sahab, a Barelwi Mufti, has got most concise and direct views on a particular contentious issue in this video. Kindly avoid discussing the subject matter as a precaution.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#279 [Permalink] Posted on 30th July 2019 09:23
PMT : Pakistan, Malaysia, Turkey

This is the type of thing I have been thinking of lately. Brothers and sisters on the forum might disagree, at least some of the, but I feel that for the first time we have a Prime Minister of Pakistan who is not apologetic for his Islam. Mahathir Muhammed was first democratic leader with the same mindset and we can say that RT Erdugan too is not apologetic about his Islam.

Then we have those initiatives by Erdugan where he was seen acting for famine affected people of Somalia and the Rohingyas under Rakhine Buddhists threat.

Please do notice that all the stumbling blocks are not out of the way. While in OIC Imran Khan might talk about having an international law against dishonour of our beloved Prophet PBUH but when he visits the US the western bigots still push there own agenda like the Qadiani issue. But the whole world can see that the Muslims after all do have their independent point of view.

Take Imran Khan's statement that Pakistan too will talk to the Taliban. After the news for quite some time that the US is in talks with the Taliban and with some sort of break through between them it was only a matter of time that Pakistan too would take a public stand on the issue and so it did.

In recent times the political situation has been changing rather rapidly and these events in itself encode similar changes - change that is very rapid.

My feeling is that we Muslims should be more alert and act at the right time because significant things can be done more easily when the things are in a state of flux as compared to the times of peace.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#280 [Permalink] Posted on 31st July 2019 10:04
Trilateral initiative is welcome, provided some of the leaders involved get enough time to put it into practice.

Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case...

I see big problems for Imran khan of Pakistan in the near future.

Ml Fazlur Rahman has rightly or wrongly mobilised his supporters against him on the issue of IK and General Bajwa (both) as Qadiani sympathisers. Unfortunately the family connections of both are ‘suspicious’ though both have personally affirmed their commitment to ‘khatme Nabuwwat’. Under usual circumstances that should have been enough but in politics perceptions prove more dangerous than realities, hence a big problem for the government is in the making...

Fazlur Rahman has demanded the government to resign in August calling fresh elections or else his supporters would lock down the capital for indefinite period of time in October . This, in itself, is no big issue for any government. They can use political or administrative measures to thwart any such move,but politically it will be difficult for his mostly liberal supporters to face the motivated and very passionate Madrasa students on the streets, specially on the sensitive issue of khatme Nabuwwat.

They can use force indeed, but there will be repercussions !

The police force usually succumb to public pressure where religious issues are involved. The armed forces, if there ‘institutional memory’ is intact would certainly keep in mind what happened in the aftermath of LAL MASJID fiasco, more so when the faith of their current chief is also in question (rightly or wrongly).

As you can see, it is a difficult situation for Imran khan :

• Face indefinite lock down of the capital and do nothing

• Use force and face the consequences like the Lal masjid operation

• Succumb to the demand of Fazlur Rahman, resign and call fresh elections.

Please note, the rest of the opposition will be supporting Fazlur Rahman covertly or overtly...

So, for the time being you can forget about ‘trilateral initiative’.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#281 [Permalink] Posted on 31st July 2019 17:05
ALIF wrote:
View original post

I understand Ulema typically like to stay out of politics but if Molvi Fazlur Rehman is doing all this because of his petty greed, our Deobandi Ulema should call it out and ask the deobandi masses to not support him in this thuggery, which will put people in chaos.

First IK has to openly change anything regarding Qadiyanis in Pakistan, and only after that any aggression is justified. Before this i believe Ulema should play a role and stop this Thug.

[auth edit]
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#282 [Permalink] Posted on 26th September 2019 08:46
Pakistan Prime Ministers

Whatever might be Imran Khan's weaknesses he is different from Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharief.

I am sorry to assert that rest of the regular PMs were at the most space fillers only.

In what way Imran is different from the other three? They were regular politicians who told you that they were working for you but they were actually working for themselves only. Corrupt to the core. Blots not only on the face of Muslim Ummah but humanity itself.

For the first time I am feeling that we have a man whom I can call a Muslim.
+1 -0Like x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#283 [Permalink] Posted on 26th September 2019 08:59
Technical Support for Imran Khan

For the first half century of Pakistan's life there were pathetic leaders but the technical support was excellent.

Pakistan's civil servants kept their Indian counterparts and hence India on the defensive by their sheer intelligence, confidence, courage and assertive posture. They conducted themselves with elan.

In recent years that edge has somehow disappeared.

Imran Khan needs the similar support today as the civil servants gave to their incompetent PMs of yester-years.

What has gone wrong?

Whatever be the reason in my view the solution lies in a revised view of the partition - the revised view that takes into account the findings of a historian of Pakistani origin - Ayesha Jalal.

Please understand in this chain of people not a link can be ignored. Without the support of a competent bureaucracy even a strong Prime Minister like Imran Khan can not be that effective.

In spite of excellent bureaucracy loathsome Prime Ministers achieved little - or rather lost East Pakistan to Indian machinations.

At the present moment we need one more important link in the chain - the academician. I am not advocating bringing Professor Jalal into picture - being a communist she will prove certainly to be counter productive. But academic input is certainly needed now that the bureaucracy is finding itself unable to perform on par.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#284 [Permalink] Posted on 26th September 2019 09:26
Bureaucrats vs Academicians

Bureaucrats do not function in a vacuum. They use the input provided to them by the academicians. Most of the time they have got this academic input during their education, preparation and training but they do gather additional information from different sources when they are serving.

In case of Muslims trying to solve the problems of Muslims in India, Kashmir and the rest of the world a crucial amount of academic input is missing.

In case of India and Kashmir the crucial academic information that is missing is the one related to the actual dynamics of partition that I have mentioned in above post and in earlier posts - the information dug out by people like Professor Ayesha Jalal.

In case of international problems, particularly related to the so called Islamic terrorism the missing academic information is related to the phenomenon called Orientalism.

I have been trying to wrestle and grapple with both of these academic problems. Even to reach this amount of realization has taken me more than a decade. Please do not accuse me of inefficiency - though my personal inefficiency does have a contribution in this matter.

These topics are not my specialization. Hence someone else must have been doing this.

For example Mr AG Noorani - he specializes in these issues and he has written very robust and significant books on both of these issues. I think on both of these topics he is among the top academicians and intellectuals.

But sadly he has missed the crux, the grain, the core and the real points in both of the cases.

In case of partition of India he perhaps missed the point because another Indian giant in the field of constitutional history, HM Seervai, did the needful.

After Seervai did his part then Mr Noorani should have taken on from there and explored the implications of the findings of Mr Seervai. Noorani did not do that. There could be two reasons. Firstly being a gian of jurisprudence and legal matters he did not want to play second fiddle to Seervai. Secondly to explore the implications of the new findings about the partition process for the present problems of Muslims in India was too explosive an issue for him to explain in plain terms.

And Allah SWT knows better.

In the second issue of international problems of Muslims one needs a very clear and plain understanding of what Edward said wrote in his book on Orientalism. Noorani has used inputs from that book in his book called Islam and G!h@d (please use correct spelling for searching). But From that I get the impression that Mr Noorani has not got the really comprehensive overview of that very complex book. And there, my brothers and sisters, is our loss.

I have been struggling with that too.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#285 [Permalink] Posted on 26th September 2019 09:33
Mehdi Hassan in Loop

Once I get a reasonably complete view of both the new findings about partition as well as implications of Edward Said's findings about Orientalism then my intention is to bring in Mehdi Hassan into loop. Please help me in that. There is another smart man called Rageh Omaar from Ethiopia, I do not know where is he now a days, who can be helpful in the task. same goes about Riz Khan, if he can be brought into the loop. Then there are our flamboyant Dayees - Dr Zakir Naik, Dr Shabir Ally, Suhaib Web, Dr Yasir Kadhi, Ali Atai and others who should be primes about these issues.

Please ignore the weaknesses of each of these guys. Focus upon the interests of the Ummah.

And, of course, I have this suggestion about providing input to Imran Khan on both of these issues.
+1 -0Like x 1

Jump to page: