Topic Appreciation
rabiaanum, Maria al-Qibtiyya
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 20th June 2016 22:48
Question

Is this Hadith authentic?

Ali Ibn Husayn (radiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates from his father that Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

“He who observes the ten days i’tikaf during Ramadan will obtain the reward of two Hajj and two Umrah.”

Answer

Imam Tabarani and Imam Bayhaqi (rahimahumallah) have recorded this narration via an extremely weak chain that consists of narrators that are very unreliable and even suspected of Hadith fabrication. Imam Bayhaqi (rahimahullah) has also pointed out the extreme weakness of a narrator.

(Al Mu’jamul Kabir, Hadith: 2888, Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 3680 and 3681. Also see Mizanul I’tidal, vol. 3 pg. 303 and vol. 4 pg. 116, Taqribut Tahdhib, 5206 and 5882, Majma’uz Zawaid, vol. 3 pg. 173)

The narration should therefore not be quoted. (Hadithanswers.com)

The Narrator from bayhaqis narration Muhammad ibn jazan, imam bukhari said hadith shouldnt be taken from him, another rawi anbasa ibn abdur rahman , imam bukhari imam dhahabi said he is matruk and attempted to fabricate hadith. Imam dhahabi mentioned some fabricated hadith of him and above one was mentioned in their too. Ibn hibban also said he has a lot of fabricated hadith.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+3 -0Like x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 00:43
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 01:59
I believe I asked this question.

Perhaps a discussion of why it's in Fadhail E Amaal should happen after Ramadan.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 03:22
The question is not why it's in fadail e Amal, but why do people get so defensive when the authenticity of Hadith in fadail e Amal are discussed , and why are the public who read talim multiple times a day are not made aware of such hadiths. No one is perfect so the respect and status of maulana Zakariya ra is not being questioned when such discussions take place.
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 03:55
Concerned wrote:
View original post

Fair enough. You got a valid point. My concern was, and still is that such discussions will result in tempers being flared. In this month when we're fasting it's a safer bet to postpone such questions/discussions when Ramadan is over.

Perhaps Sheikh Zakariya (RA) found a different chain that wasn't as weak, and no to forget that one chain can be deemed as weak to one Muhadith, but sound to another for a wide range reasons. Allah knows best.

Having said that, I've personally always stuck with Riyadh us Saliheen because of the mixed responses on Fadha'il E 'Amal. No disrespect intended.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 07:31
Maulana Zakriya Kandhalvi RA was SHAYKH UL HADITH.
+2 -1Dislike x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 08:54
Shaykh up Hadith does not mean perfect and protected from error. Besides we are only speaking about a couple narrations from the entire book, and as the brother mentioned they could be differences.
+3 -1Like x 2Dislike x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 09:34
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#9 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 10:44
Servant.Of.Allah wrote:
View original post

That doesnt mean he knew all the ahadith books chain from where he quoted: He end up quoting hadith from books just because "a book" was praised by certain scholar. when 7-8 muhaddithin accuse a rawi for fabrication and matruk , it doesnt make sense to pick 1-2 muhaddith who regarded those rawi as weak. In an academic discussion ALL the student of deen will go with imam bukhari-imam dhahabi and so on instead the ijtehad of sheikh zakariya. But sadly millions of laymen are effected by this ijtehad. I asked more than 7-8 muhaddithin about fazaile amals narration, they feel hesitated to reply any comment and says we cant say why sh zakariya used those. The matter is not about weak hadith. Its about those which are catagorised as fabricated and very weak hadith which all the scolars agree that shouldnt be quoted. Even in the books like fazaile durood and fazaile sadaqat the scenerio is worst. Am sure all the "Deobandi" muhaddithis will agree some of those hadith shouldnt be narrated, yet out of "respect" of their elders they will let laymen spread those ahadith. Thats the service our muhaddithin in regarding deen. THe awwam should know that their scholars arent prophet, no needd to hesitate to speak out about some mistake mentioned in a book. Were our scholars vocal about the mistake of their own scholar , then we might not had face the fitnah of ahle hadith which got more popularity due to lost of the trust by laymen cause of the level of academic honesty of our scholar.
+3 -0Like x 1Winner x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#10 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 11:57
As Salam alaykum,
If the hadith is weak, i will not get the reward of 2 hajj and 2 umrahs, for my etakaf.
SO WHAT. Does it takes away the value of etakaf. No.
Does this weak hadith spoils my eman, Yaqeen. Does this brings me do any "bidat". NO.

"This type of hadiths which are weak are only taken to glorify a certain amal so that people will find it tempting to do those amal."

I hope you understand. If not you can go learn hadith sciences in Islamic institute and then you will know.
+2 -1Dislike x 1Winner x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#11 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 12:08
samy.3660 wrote:
View original post

salaam

i dont think you inderstand.

no one said dont do etikaf. no one said eitikaf isnt rewarding.

the op is saying dont quote fabricated hadith. dont quote lies against the prophet (saw).

instead, quote hadith which are not fabricated.

in the example of eitikaf, there are many other hadith that can be quoted to encourage eitikaf instead of fabricated hadith.
+3 -0Like x 1Winner x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#12 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 12:09
samy.3660 wrote:
View original post

actually, knowingly quoting fabricated hadith WILL spoil your iman.
+3 -0Like x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#13 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 12:19

I had requested this site to provide complete answers and quote the narrations so people don't get confused. But of course they are South Africans so they know best!

Narration from Bayhaqi:

(حديث مرفوع) أَخْبَرَنَا أَبُو طَاهِرٍ الْفَقِيهُ ، أنا أَبُو طَاهِرٍ الْمُحَمَّدَابَادِيُّ ، نا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ يُوسُفَ السُّلَمِيُّ ، نا سَعِيدُ بْنُ سُلَيْمَانَ ، نا هَيَّاجٌ ، نا عَنْبَسَةُ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ سَعِيدِ بْنِ الْعَاصِ ، عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ زَاذَانَ ، عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ حُسَيْنٍ ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ ، قال : قال رسول اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ : " مَنِ اعْتَكَفَ عَشْرًا فِي رَمَضَانَ كَانَ كَحَجَّتَيْنِ وَعُمْرَتَيْنِ " . وَإِسْنَادُهُ ضَعِيفٌ وَمَا قَبْلَهُ فِيهِ ضَعْفٌ ، وَاللَّهُ أَعْلَمُ .

1. Imam Bayhaqi (RA) himself calls it "weak BUT not fabricated" so it is possible for anyone to quote this Hadeeth on the authority of Imam Bayhaqi (RA) and you can't accuse them of quoting a fabrication
  2. Shaykhul-Hadeeth (RA) quotes this on the authority of Abd al-Wahhab al-Sha'rani (1492–1565) who quotes it from Imam Bayhaqi (RA), double safe (so to speak)

In Kashful Ghummah, Allahmah Sharaani relates a Hadith wherein Rasulullah S.W. said, “Whoever performs I’itikaaf for the final ten days of Ramadhaan, for him is the reward of two Haj and two Umrahs and whoever performs I’itikaaf from Maghrib until ‘Ishaa’ doing nothing except performing ‘salaah and reciting the Qur'aan Allah will prepare a palace in Jannah”.

Its the same story with Fadhail-e-Aamaal i.e. Shaykh (RA) has not quoted any fabrications knowingly, he usually quotes on the authority of someone and others say its fabricated while the original author may think of it as weak or even extremely weak (but not fabrication).

+3 -1Like x 1Dislike x 1Disagree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#14 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 12:54
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Just because sh zakariya quoted via imam sharaani doesnt mean the chain got strength automaticly. Had he quoted it via different chain other than imam bayhaqi then it might have got strength. As i said already, if 7-8 muhaddith says from rawi X is abandoned , hadith shouldnt be taken and only one or two says he is weak then Its safer approach not to take it. Imam dhahabi mentioned that hadith as one of the fabricated hadiths narrated by the rejected rawi. Check only the grade of عَنْبَسَةُ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ among the muhaddithin, you will know imam bayhaqis opinion holds no water. Sufi ulama follows taqwa in matter of dunya and leaves matter aside if those arent clear. But sufi muhaddithin are leniant in the matter of ahadith, and no smell of taqwa present while choosing hadith. Extremely weak hadith isnt also allowed to use in fazail, but heyyy sh zakariya used fabricated narration just because those are found somewhere else in broken pieces or meaning is present.
+1 -0Winner x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#15 [Permalink] Posted on 21st June 2016 13:11

abu nusayba wrote:
View original post

Shaykh Zakarriya (RA) quotes on the authority of another Muhadith who doesn't think that it’s a fabrication. He (RA) then quotes it from Imam Bayhaqi (RA) who clearly didn’t label it as a fabrication.

Not quoting the narration is therefore a subjective call. Sufi or no Sufi books of Ahadeeth are filled with such narrations and unless you can prove that he quoted a fabrication deliberately it’s a “subjective call”.

I personally think Riyadus-Saliheen should be used by TJs instead of Fadhail-e-Aamaal but that’s also just my opinion.

You & I have our opinion and Shaykh Zakariyya (RA) and others disagree, not the end of the world.

+2 -0Like x 2

Jump to page: