Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

BBC News Article on Moulana Masood Azhar and UK Deobandis

Jump to page:

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#46 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2016 16:11

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh

The recent attacks in the Media against the Deobandees are not hidden from anyone and need no further publicising. I wish to propose a suggestive plan of action, it is only my humble opinion and since I am (most certainly) nobody there is no compulsion on anyone to take it.

This is simply my Mushwara as being part of the Ummah of Nabi (Sallallaho Alaihe Wassallam).

www.muftisays.com/blog/Muadh_Khan/3937_08-04-2016/a-sugge...

report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#47 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2016 17:28
Muadh_Khan wrote:
View original post

Very good points, as for point no:6 that should be with added caution that, only people who are very capable should participate in the Media...Otherwise an individual will find themselves getting bushwacked by the presenters, and find their involvement counter productive.

The following article by Roshan salih gives some valuable incite...Source Five Pillars.

Four strategies to combat media Islamophobia

Posted by 5Pillars

Roshan Muhammed Salih outlines four strategies that Muslims should employ to counter the media Islamophobia which targets us daily.

I’m not going to spend much time convincing 5Pillars readers that the British media is Islamophobic because I think most of us take that as read. But if you’re still in any doubt please read this report by the journalists Peter Oborne and James Jones.

Instead I’d like to concentrate on the way forward. What can we do to make the mass circulation media less Islamophobic? To make it actually value the contribution of Muslims to this society? And to make it treat us as equal citizens and not see us through the lens of counter-terrorism?

I’ll be arguing that in order to do that we need to advance our narrative on our own terms as far as possible; to change the rules of the mainstream media game; and not fall into traps that are laid for us or give ammunition to our enemies.

Left-wing media

First of all, we should go beyond our critique of right-wing media uniquely when it comes to Islamophobia.

We all know that the Murdoch Papers, The Daily Mail, The Express and The Star have an overtly anti-Muslim agenda, but I would argue that supposedly liberal, left-wing papers like The Guardian and The Independent also do, just in a more subtle way.

And so does the publicly-funded BBC and the supposedly liberal Channel 4.

Just a few examples to illustrate my point: The Independent seems to base its editorial stance on Islam and Muslims on the views of Maajid Nawaz. Is he their spiritual advisor? As for the BBC, programmes like Newsnight and Panorama have become bywords for anti-Muslim hit jobs, and journalists like John Ware have honed this art.

And who can forget the Channel 4 News journalist Cathy Newman earlier this year lying about being kicked out of a mosque and then sitting back and watching the Islamophobic backlash unfold?

Of course the left-wing newspapers and the BBC don’t promote hatred of Muslims in the way that The Daily Express or The Daily Star does by blatantly misleading stories or not-so-subtle innuendo. And yes they do sometimes carry editorials explicitly sticking up for Muslims when they’re attacked.

Channel 4's Cathy Newman
Channel 4’s Cathy Newman
Nevertheless, they are still part of the Islamophobic culture we live in. Their reporting of the Muslim community is predominantly done through the lens of counter-terrorism and by journalists conditioned by Western liberal values who probably find Islam’s social conservatism repulsive.

So when Muslim spokespeople appear on their shows they’re often harangued and treated differently to other guests. The topics chosen are also designed to put the Muslim guest on the back foot – such as “Islam and homosexuality” or “Sharia law” or “Islamic extremism.”

These left-wing newspapers and TV outlets also regularly conflate so-called non-violent extremism with violent extremism. So a Muslim who has socially conservative views that Western liberals may object to or someone who politically stands for Palestine and against Israel is presented as some sort of “potential bomber” or “terrorist appeaser.”

I think the CAGE controversy from earlier this year was a good example of how the right-wing and left-wing media can work in tandem to foster Islamophobia.

You will remember that there was a seemingly co-ordinated media attack against CAGE after they attempted to argue (admittedly quite incoherently) that Muhammad Emwazi’s actions were partially caused by security service harassment.

CAGE’s Asim Qureshi took the brunt of the onslaught, and was labelled an “apologist for terror.” His argument that MI5 was complicit in turning a pleasant young man into a monster was drowned out by the cacophony of condemnation. But the media didn’t stop at attacking Qureshi’s arguments. No, they played the man and not the ball with egregious personal attacks against him.

So please let’s not let the supposedly liberal media off the hook just because they occasionally say a few nice things about us and because they haven’t quite got their pitchforks out yet like the right-wing media has.

Strategy 1: Build our own organizations

My number one strategy is to organize ourselves so that we can effectively advance our own narrative and get our own story out rather than reacting and firefighting when crises happen.

This is what I sought to do when I launched 5Pillars with Dilly Hussain in April 2013. I felt that there still wasn’t a quality community media platform out there which was independent and professional, so we insisted on the following principles:

Independence: We are financially independent and that means that we are editorially independent.
Quality journalism rather than the sub-standard fare we are usually fed.
Grassroots focus instead of promoting the usual suspects who already have a high profile.
Non-sectarian approach serving all the community rather than just one section of it.
Anti-PREVENT and anti-imperialistic to the core.
And in nearly three years we are already Britain’s number 1 Muslim news online platform and the national media regularly picks up on our stories.

Compared to 20 years ago we have indeed come a long way in developing our own media and we do have an independent voice, but the quality of that media still leaves a lot to be desired and it also tends to push a certain sectarian or state agenda.

So if we complain about Islamophobia and media demonisation a lot we also need to support the work of those who are countering it. And if we don’t we have no right to complain about it in the first place.

Strategy 2: Get into mainstream media

I would never want to be the “white man’s monkey” and work in mainstream media because I used to do exactly that and my spirit was crushed by having to follow the agenda of my line-managers. But I do think that Muslims with strong constitutions should.

The fact is that the Muslims who tend to become influential in the mainstream media are generally not practising ones and don’t really represent the hopes, concerns and fears of their community.

Does Mishal Hussain represent Muslim community concerns?
Does Mishal Hussain represent Muslim community concerns?
So I’d like to see Muslims who actually spring from the community and share the its values make it into the mainstream, because brown faces talking the white man’s lingo (like Mishal Hussain) aren’t going to change anything.

I wouldn’t hold my breath though. Ultimately I think the system does crush the individual so even the most sincere, community-sensitive Muslim journalist will only be able to achieve a few ripples of success in the mainstream but won’t be able to change the overall culture.

In fact the presence of one or two genuine community representatives in the mainstream may even allow the likes of the BBC to argue that they’re representative when they’re not.

But maybe I’m being overly cynical and I do believe we have to work within the system as well as outside of it.

Strategy 3: Engage with the mainstream but only if you’re treated equally

We should only participate in shows where we are guaranteed to be treated equally to all other participants.

So we should realise that when The Daily Mail rings us up for a quotation on – let’s say – a “Muslim grooming” story, they are only using us for a bit of balance in an article that will otherwise bash the community. So in helping them we are just giving credibility to their story.

And we should be aware that when Andrew Neil or Nicky Campbell invites us onto a “debate” we will be harangued with irrelevant “do you condemn stoning to death” type questions, while other participants will be allowed to speak freely without pressure.

On the other hand, if the interviewer is fairly neutral and if the format allows us a fair crack of the whip then we should definitely engage in debates on the hot issues of the day, even the most challenging ones.

So we should engage with the mainstream as much as possible but let’s not be a performing monkey in the “good Muslim, bad Muslim game.”

Nicky Campbell's shows often demonise Muslims
Nicky Campbell’s shows often demonise Muslims
On the one hand you have the “good Muslim” – Maajid Nawaz most often – who blames everything on “Islamic extremists.” So much so that the viewing audience ends up thinking all Muslims are extreme. And on the other hand you have the “bad Muslim” – very often Anjem Choudary – who castigates Britain and non-Muslims so much that the viewing audience will begin to hate Islam.

Either way, Muslims lose.

Receiving a media invitation from a big broadcaster can be really hard to turn down, especially if we have big egos and want to publicise our work and ourselves. But ultimately, we have to put the community before our careers.

Let’s not fall into these traps that are laid for us and give credibililty to the media narrative by playing along with their silly games. Instead, let’s try to change the way the media behaves by changing the rules of the game.

Having worked in the mainstream media myself, I know that researchers and producers want to mount the best programme they possibly can. And if they know they’re being systematically boycotted and accused of Islamophobia and racism they might just decide to shift to a debate where they can book decent guests.

Or at least they’ll note the community’s displeasure and think twice the next time they want to stitch us up.

Of course, some will say to me – if responsible members of the community refuse to appear on these shows then the media will simply book someone else.

To that I would say: they probably will in the short-term and will look foolish for doing so, but as long as the boycott persists they will have to change the way they approach things in the long-term.

Strategy 4: Hold the mainstream to account

This might seem fairly obvious so I won’t say much about it but we do need to keep banging on about how Islamophobic the media is and sending in lots of letters complaining to media editors and the Independent Press Standards Organisation.

We also need to take Islamophobic outlets and journalists to court as the threat of litigation will shut people up quicker than most things.

I would also suggest that Muslim groups should deliver training courses to mainstream journalists and major organisations on how they should write about Muslims.

But again, this is only one part of the strategy. Asking The Daily Mail et al to be nice to us is ultimately like asking Hitler to be nice to the Jews.

Muslim bubble

Despite everything I’ve said above I do also believe that Muslims need to be introspective.

Many Muslim community activists now exist in a sort of “Muslim bubble” where their opinions and strategies are simply re-inforced by fellow activists. This, of course, isn’t always a bad thing because it’s essential that we encourage and support each other, especially when we’re being attacked. But it can also lead to lazy group-think and to mistakes which cannot be rectified easily after the damage has been done.

So while our intentions may well be to advance our narrative and counter Islamophobia, the wrong media strategy may well end up damaging our narrative and feeding Islamophobia.

I think CAGE’s Mohammed Emwazi strategy and Asghar Bukhari’s “Mossad-ate-my-shoe viral video” from this year are good examples of that.

Was Asghar Bukhari's video a PR own goal?
Was Asghar Bukhari’s video a PR own goal?
Asghar, you might remember, claimed he was being harassed by Mossad who were moving his slippers about to confuse him. But whatever the veracity of his claims, he ended up giving his enemies an excuse to laugh at him.

We must understand the psychology of the wider audience. Arguments that may wash in the Muslim community may well gain no traction in the majority non-Muslim community in which we live.

So when we go on national television and say: “Muhammad Emwazi was radicalised by the security services” (which would be a controversial argument within the Muslim community itself), the majority audience will think: “How does that justify him beheading all those people?”

When we say he was “a beautiful young man” they will think: “why is he praising a bloodthirsty killer?”

When we refuse to condemn Muhammad Emwazi for committing those crimes on the basis that his actions have nothing to do with us, the majority audience will hear: “He’s evading the question because he really sympathises with him.”

So by humanising a serial killer and by refusing to condemn him for justified-yet-complicated reasons, we are allowing ourselves to be put on the back foot.

And instead of spending the little airtime that we have talking about what we want to talk about – such as the role of foreign policy and the security services in radicalising Muslim youth – we spend all of the time trying to fend off irrelevant questions about whether we are apologists for terror.

As for the Mossad-ate-my-shoe stuff, I won’t even bother explaining why that was a PR own goal.

What will this achieve?

Now I’m not pretending that my above recommendations will solve our problems overnight.

After all, the mainstream media has been Islamophobic for a long time and that will take a long time to fix. And ultimately the political environment that we live in determines the attitude of the media.

Muslims are a minority in this country and to some extent or another we will always be fighting an uphill battle to claim our rights. So even if the community unites and implements my recommendations to the letter (which of course they won’t), the Islamophobic stories and TV programmes will continue.

So it’s a case of hunkering down, getting organised, being brave and doing the best we can.

This article is taken from a speech Roshan delivered to an IHRC conference on Saturday. You can follow him on Twitter @RMSalih

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#48 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2016 17:36
We muslims r a laughing stock..you guys still dont see my point. Why would kuffar stop mocking us? They mocked other groups and sects and like idiots we fell for the divide and conquer trap. This all started with that undercover mosque program. But because it wasnt us targetted we lile.sheep carried on thinkin we be safe. Now its our turn. Kuffar will be laughing at us. We didnt come to defence of our fellow muslims then and now we are crying like women cos we r in firing line. I take my hat off to islam21c and likes of shaykh haitham who aint so narrow minded and see the bigger picture. They defend ALL muslims. People on this forum.only defend their own little sect. Shame on you guys.
+0 -1Dislike x 1Disagree x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#49 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2016 18:03
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

On the contrary it seems like you are missing everybody elses point.
My humble advice to you would be to take a complete break from watching, reading, listening to News and Current affairs and instead focus on...Spiritually uplifting and inspirational stuff other wise you will end up with emotional burn out.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#50 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2016 21:07
Can't find this on their website anywhere (got it from mailing list), but its a good read. www.keepmosquesindependent.org

Assalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

6th April 2015

Dear Respected Ulema,

We hope and pray you receive this letter in the best of health and Imaan.

BBC Radio 4 are currently running a two-part documentary on Deobandis in Britain. The documentary attempts to present the Deobandis as an isolationist and secretive organisation whose views help foster “extremism" and violence. Indeed, the Government has pushed a flawed narrative that violence perpetrated by a tiny minority of Muslims is the result of "non-violent extremist" organisations with this BBC programme focusing on the Deobandis/Tablighi Jamaat.

It used selective anecdotes of bad experiences such as an ex-Muslim turned Atheist and a disenchanted Muslim who grew up in a Deobandi environment. It then substantiated the claims that the Deobandis are isolationist and inhibiting the integration of Muslims.

In the next episode, it will further damage the reputation of Deobandi Mosques and Madrassas by insinuating, that they are terrorist sympathisers and a potential breeding ground for terrorism based upon its alleged support for the Taliban during the 1990s.

In light of this, we would like to make the following points for your consideration;

The documentary was produced and aired in a political environment in which all Muslims and Islamic organisations are being scrutinised in the context of the war on terror. The argument is that the Muslim community is not only “silently” condoning “extremist ideology”, in the words of David Cameron himself, but also creating the fertile environment which results in some isolated individuals committing acts of violence. That some Mosques and Madrassas are fostering an environment of “hate”, preaching “extremist” ideas and not doing enough to promote “British Values”. This form of “non-violent extremism” then leads to a conveyor belt to terrorism and hence to stop terrorism we must target the ideology (mainly legally held ideas) that breeds it. The Deobandis are thus part of this community of “non-violent extremists” that are teaching young people radical views, isolating them from British society and inculcating them with a “strict, conservative” form of Islam.

This theory of radicalisation has been unequivocally refuted by various academics who have proved through intellectual research that the radicalisation theory is a myth. Take for example John Horgan, a terrorism expert, who said that “The idea that radicalization causes terrorism is perhaps the greatest myth alive today in terrorism research … [First], the overwhelming majority of people who hold radical beliefs do not engage in violence. And second, there is increasing evidence that people who engage in terrorism don’t necessarily hold radical beliefs.”. The link between ideology and violence is therefore tenuous. In fact, a report by the Mi5 found that a strong religious identity protects people from terrorism.

Terms such as "extremism", "non violent extremism" or "radicalisation" are vaguely defined terms which often becomes confused with observant religious practices and general Islamic values. Therefore, adhering to gender separation in religious functions, the wearing of the hijab/jilbab and Islamic clothing, believing homosexuality is a sin and the general adherence to the Shari’ah are labeled "extreme". Indeed, even the identification of a newly practicing Muslim is viewed with suspicion as the narrative is painted that the more Islamic and/or conservative a Muslim becomes the more likely he/she is to commit acts of terrorism. This is a wholely flawed thesis that makes lawful adherence to views and practices a precursor to illegal and criminal activity like terrorism.

The documentary also comes at a time when the British Government are currently attempting to register "out-of-school settings" which many, including senior politicians, believe is an attempt to target Mosques and Madrassas. Thus with this proposed legislation, they will attempt to monitor our institutions and control the type of Islamic ideas that are allowed to be taught while enforcing "British values" - a euphemism for muscular liberalism. This means Ofsted type inspectors can enter any mosque/madrassa and demand to see the curricula being taught while monitoring classes for signs of radicalisation/extremism. We have seen with the Trojan horse hoax how inspectors would question primary school children on their views of homosexuality to see if they held "progressive" secular views of acceptance of such a lifestyle choice. There is no doubt that a documentary on Deobandis who manage over 40% of Mosques and Madrassas in this country was aptly timed for the proposed legislation to register "out-of-school settings". It should be noted that this registration and inspection will not only affect Deobandis but all mosques irrespective of their theological persuasions.

By observing the Government’s narrative towards the Muslim community in recent years, we clearly see an agenda to reform Islam so that it is palatable to the British secular liberal values. It is not simply sufficient to be law abiding, taxpaying citizens rather the Government is trying to Christianise the Muslim community. Not that they wish to make us Christians but rather, to see Islam undergo a reformation just as Christianity did in the 16th/17th century CE. An Islam that accepts fundamental changes to the Shari'ah such that it loses all relevancy to life's affairs. Indeed, this government policy is a result of the global revival taking place in the Muslim World, in which there is a growing call for Islam to play a central role in governance. Such an atmosphere is viewed as an existential threat to Capitalism and Western geopolitical interests, who have been able to impose their political hegemony over the Muslim World since the dismantling of the Ottoman Caliphate in 1924. Therefore, the focus of Muslims domestically helps to build a narrative that Islam and the Muslims are a potential threat to their national interests and as such forms a major justification to interfere in the Muslim world with an aggressive foreign policy.

This is the reason why it is not only Deobandis but any Muslim who embraces Islam as a complete way of life will be viewed with suspicion. Documentaries such as the BBC Radio 4 only reinforces such perceptions of Muslims which helps brew public opinion so that the British Government is able to pass draconian legislation, such as registering Mosques and Madrassas (something that is expected from dictatorships in the Muslim World and authoritarian states such as Russia and China.) Therefore, as a Muslim community we should not think this documentary is simply targeting Deobandis and their institutions, rather it is designed to silence the Muslim community and compromise their adherence to Islam. By being aware of this danger, we as a community must stand united and prevent our future generations losing the core values of the Deen such that their adherence to Islam is to basic rituals as we see with the wider Christian community today.

We must intellectually challenge such attacks and continue to present the sublime values of Islam to Muslims and the wider society. The reality is that in a morally decadent society in which the family unit is eroding, where racism flourishes at the highest political levels, where sexual abuse, theft and major crimes are common, where the corporate exploitation of wealth has created unseen levels of wealth inequality and the general rise of discontent for the system, the British people are looking for alternatives. More Islamic values are needed, not less. We must showcase our beautiful Islamic values to the wider society and challenge the intellectual propaganda against Islam. The mosques/madrassas are in the best place to help raise strong Muslim communities that can rise to this challenge.

Allah SWT is indeed testing the Muslims in Britain as He SWT is testing Muslims around the world, and we must never give into the pressure and attempts to reform Islam, such that it is no longer recognisable to the future generations of Muslims. We must build on the strengths of our decades of collective good practise and experience in running our institution’s and rectify our weaknesses. Remembering that the Muslim community we have today was built with the intention of our forefathers to protect the Islamic identity in this country. Thus any attempts to move away from this trajectory will leave the efforts of those behind us in vein.

You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah. If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient. [Surah Al-Imran:110]

Keep Mosques Independent
www.keepmosquesindependent.org
info@keepmosquesindepedent.org

+1 -0
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#51 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2016 22:05
Ryder wrote:
View original post

If the main gist of second part of this programme is that British Deobandis are extremist for their alleged Support of Taliban in the 1990's, for bringing stability to Afghanistan in an era of complete chaos and anarchy with warring factions and criminal organisations robbing raping and pillaging with impunity... Then it must also be noted that the Americans themselves also supported Taliban in its embryonic stages both the American and Pakistan wanted to create an Oil Pipeline going from the Caspian Sea to the Port of Karachi .... Here is an article on that

www.google.co.uk/urlsa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&...

So the question to ask the BBC is why Americas past support for Taliban is never allowed into discourse, and why BBC has painstakingly sought to completeley bury this fact. We have had Radio programmes and current affairs programmes on the BBC over the last 15 years consistently mentioning that Pakistans secret service supported the Taliban whilst completley ignoring the fact that America itself supported Taliban. This is hardly becoming of an organisation that chants we "impartial" like a religious mantra.

Similarly from the article posted at the beginning of this thread the argument being used is that "sipah e Sahabah" and other organisations having stoked sectarianism in Pakistan against Shias.

It must also be noted that following the Iranian Revolution, Iran started dessiminating alot of literature in Pakistan.. The Americans were afraid that the revolution might spread to Pakistan...and were pro-actively pressurising the regime of Zia ul Haq to take action, and support groups who maybe able to counter the threat of Shia influence...! Every where you look the road and evidence leads right back to America and its Empire.... Not to British Deobandis.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#52 [Permalink] Posted on 8th April 2016 22:36
The power of Presuppositions a Psychological trick is used to villify muslims all the time, the following article on a smear campaign against an American political candidate shows how Presuppositions work.

The Power Of Presuppositions.

Presuppositions program us to accept things that may or may not be true, and they can be used on us by others, or even, subconsciously, by ourselves. For example, if you ask yourself a question like "Why do I always sabotage myself?" after something ends disappointingly, you set yourself up for more of the same and set in motion a self-fulfilling prophecy. Why? Because, as we've already said, your brain will obediently come up with an answer for anything you ask of it. You'll take for granted that you've sabotaged things because you're focusing on why you do it, not on whether you do it.

One example occurred during the 1988 presidential election, just after George Bush had announced Dan Quayle as his running mate. A television news organization conducted a nationwide poll, asking people to call a 900 number to answer the question, "Does it bother you that Dan Quayle used his family's influence to go into the National Guard and stay out of Vietnam?" The glaring presupposition built into this question, of course, was that Quayle had indeed used his family's influence to unfair advantage—something that had never been proven. Yet people responded to it as if it were a given. They never questioned it, and just automatically accepted it. Worse, many people called to say that they were extremely upset about this fact. No such fact was ever substantiated!
No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#53 [Permalink] Posted on 9th April 2016 10:27

I have deleted this video because there was a serious error in one of the screens. Please see post below for raising reports to the BBC. Please approved this post because the video had to be removed.

Jzk

No post ratings
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#54 [Permalink] Posted on 9th April 2016 14:19
No post ratings
Rank Image
Bangladesh
Brother
#55 [Permalink] Posted on 9th April 2016 19:32
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Firstly, 'Deobandi' isn't a sect's name at which point you are just echoing BBC and Kuffar's opinion. It's a movement encompassing every major aspects of Deen. Anyone affiliated with this movement is just trying to hold the rope which Allaah commanded us to hold firmly.

Secondly, Ulama aren't people like us who have time to respond to every hue and cry of the media. They are busy with their tasks for the sake of Deen. They are serving as Imam in Masajid, answering Fiqh questions of the people, counselling, teaching and trying to keep Deeni movements alive. Not to mention that most of their services are free and their income is very low compared to common people. If you blame them for not doing this ot that, it's like blaming your breadwinner father for not buying some eggs. Obviously question would be raised that if he required to even buy groceries, what the hell you were busy with?
Every Muslim has responsibility for his Deen. Ulama's responsibilities are of higher degree, this is the difference.

Thirdly, your posts reflect the fact that perhaps you didn't study much on Adab (etiquette) which is an essential part of our Deen. My sincere advice to you please halt writing unless you are able to maintain proper etiquette.

May Allaah grant you and us correct understanding of Deen. Ameen
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#56 [Permalink] Posted on 9th April 2016 22:52
there is a fine line between adab and scholar worshipping. perhaps some of you guys can try learn the difference. you guys make shia and brealwis look moderate.
+0 -3Dislike x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#57 [Permalink] Posted on 10th April 2016 08:44

(Edited: As it could incite useless discussion.)

No post ratings
Rank Image
Bangladesh
Brother
#58 [Permalink] Posted on 10th April 2016 14:22
mkdon101 wrote:
View original post

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Dear brother,

I'm requesting you to read this concise article on Adab. I would like to know if our Salaf were also unable to see this 'fine line between adab and scholar worshipping' which you are fortunate to see. It's taken from here: www.al-miftah.com/2013/10/22/a-few-lessons-on-adab-respect/

Quote:
A Few Lessons on Adab (Respect)

It is a famous statement of the ‘Ulama:

Those who succeeded did so through their adab (respect) and those who failed did so because of the lack of respect”

(Adabul ikhtilaf fi masaailil ‘lmi wad deen, pg.192)

قال الإمام الزرنوجي رحمه الله

ما وصل من وصل إلا بالحرمة، وما سقط من سقط إلا بترك الحرمة

(Ta’leemul Muta’allim of Imam Zarnuji (rahimahullah), pg.46, ibid)

Here are a few examples of those who succeeded:

Imam Abu Hanifah (rahimahullah) said:
ما مددت رجلي نحو دار أستاذي حماد بن أبي سليمان إجلالاً له، وكان بين داره وداري سبع سكك

“I never stretched my leg in the direction of the house of my teacher, Hammad ibn Abi Sulaiman, although I was seven blocks away from his house”

(‘Uqudul Jumman; Adabul Ikhtilaf fi masailil ‘ilmi wad deen, pg. 172 & Ma’alim irshadiyyah, pg.172)

Imam Shafi’i (rahimahullah) says: “When I arrived in Madinah, I saw the reverence and awe that Imam Malik (rahimahullah) commanded. This increased my respect for him to an extent that at times while in his presence I would turn the page as gently as possible out of fear that I may disturb him” (ibid)

The student of Imam Shafi’i; Imam Rabee’ ibn Sulaiman (rahimahumallah) says: “By Allah! I had such respect for Imam Shafi’i that I never had the courage to even drink water in his presence.” (ibid)

This reminds me of a narration in Sahih Muslim (hadith:317) in which Sayyiduna ‘Amr ibn ‘As (radiyallahu ‘anhu) states:

“I never stared at the face of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) out of awe for him, and therefore cannot describe him fully”

The Ripple effect

My Esteemed Teacher, Al-Muhaddith Shaykh Muhammad ‘Awwamah (may Allah protect him) writes: “Those who sit in the company of the ‘Ulama will definitely learn to respect them”

“One who never acquired knowledge from the ‘Ulama, and didn’t spend abundant time with them, and hasn’t learnt how to respect them, how could he understand the value of the ‘Ulama?!

For such a person to speak or write against the ‘Ulama in a disrespectful manner is not surprising…”

(Adabul ikhtilaf, pg.172 & Ma’alim irshadiyyah, pg.172)

It is therefore imperative for us stick to the company of dignified people, or else we risk losing our own respect.

Respect for their associates

Imam Zarnuji (rahimahullah) writes: “Part of respect for one’s teacher is to show respect to the teacher’s children and other associates. The author of Al-Hidayah (A higher book of Hanafi fiqh) mentioned that one of the ‘Ulama of Bukhara was seated in the masjid while delivering a lesson. During the lesson he kept standing for short intervals. When he was asked about this he replied:

“My Teachers’ son is playing with other kids on the road and he sometimes runs past the door of the Masjid, so I stand for him out of respect for my teacher!”

(Ta’limul Muta’allim; see Ma’alim Irshadiyyah of Shaykh ‘Awwamah, pg. 232 & Husn Adab of Moulana Habibur Rahman Al-A’zami)

A Recent Lesson

The following incident is among the first lessons of adab that I learnt from my Respected Teacher, Al-Muhaddith Shaykh Muhammad ‘Awwamah (may Allah allow me to continue benefitting from him):

“I (Shaykh ‘Awwamah) once visited the late Mufti Mahmoodul Hasan Al-Gangohi (rahimahullah) when he was visiting Madinah Munawwarah. As the time of Magrib salah got closer, someone asked Mufti Mahmood (rahimahullah) if he needed to perform wudhu before the salah. Mufti sahib (rahimahullah) replied:

كيف أجالس هذا العالم وأنا على غير وضوء؟

How could I sit in the company of this ‘Alim without already being in the state of wudhu?!

After relating this, Shaykh (may Allah protect him) expressed his humility saying: “I don’t deserve this but look at the respect of this senior ‘Alim.”

Note

It was a common habit of my Honourable Teacher to personally visit the senior ‘Ulama whenever he learnt of their arrival in Madinah Munawwarah. Despite him being a senior himself…

Even the Animals have respect

Shaykh Muhammad ‘Awwamah (may Allah protect him) writes: “You may be surprised to hear that even Animals have respect for seniors.” Shaykh then cited the verse of the Quran which mentions the address of the ant in the era of Nabi Sulayman (‘alaihis salam): “Let not Sulayman and his army trample you unknowingly” (Surah Naml, verse: 18)

He says: “due to the respect of the ant, it sought an excuse for the army by saying that if they do trample you it will be unintentional!” (Adabul ikhtilaf, pg.193)

Contempt to those who were disrespectful

Once Imam Ahmad ibn Hambal (rahimahullah) angrily reprimanded a reliable scholar for his disrespect to Imam ‘Abdur Rahman ibn Mahdi (rahimahullah) with the words:

مالك ويلك ولذكر الأئمة

“What is the matter with you?! Woe on to you for saying (such disrespectful things) about the Imams!”

(Adabul ikhtilaf, pg.155)

Ibn ‘Asakir (rahimahullah) once heard one of his teachers being disrespectful towards the scholars of the past. He said to his teacher:

إنما نحترمك ما احترمت الأئمة

“I will only respect you as long as you maintain respect for the Imams!”

(Adabul ikhtilaf, pg.155)

When Imam Muslim (rahimahullah) heard derogatory statements from his teacher, Muhammad ibn Yahya Az-Zhuhli (rahimahullah) concerning his other teacher; Imam Bukhari (rahimahullah), He (Imam Muslim) immediately got up and left the gathering. He later returned to Imam Zhuhli all the narrations that he had acquired from him. (Hadyus sari, pg.685)

We will follow respect, wherever it takes us….

Are we equal?

Some people use the following slogan to legitamise their disrespect with the earlier scholars:

هم رجال ونحن رجال

“We are men like them”

This is a sign of extreme ignorance. A slight look at history and the biographies of the pious predecessors will easily show that there is no comparison between us and them whatsoever. The great Historian, biographer and Muhaddith; ‘Allamah Dhahabi (rahimahullah) writes: “There is no senior Muhaddith in my era (the 700s A.H.) that can match the knowledge of those in the earlier times” (Tazkiratul Huffaz, pg.628)

He also writes in the biography of Imam Al-Ismai’ily (rahimahullah): “I was astounded at the memory of this imam, and I have concluded that the latter day scholars have no hope of catching up with the earlier ones (the Mutaqaddimun) (Tazkiratul Huffaz, pg.948)

Al-Muhaddith Al-‘Alai (rahimahullah) has also said: “none after them could match them or even come close!” (Fathul Mugheeth, vol.2 pg.102)

Conclusion

The above are a few drops from an ocean full of lessons on this topic. Respect seems so distant in our era; an era full of unpleasant surprises!

Moreover, it is somehow much easier for people to be disrespectful online, since they find themselves in an uncontrolled environment. Do not fall into this hole, it’s bottomless!!

Let’s all take lesson from what has been discussed above .

May Allah Ta’ala guide us too. Ameen.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#59 [Permalink] Posted on 10th April 2016 15:37
look im not going to play this silly game with you guys. iv not shown any disrespect. many of the ulema who u guys love on this forum i see on regular basis and i even said it to them up straight we deos deserve all this attacks cos we did NOTHING when they came after other scholars and sects.

why do u guys defend the indefensible? had deos stuck together with fellow muslims they wouldnt be attacked today. we well for the divide and conquer game now lump it

bbc and non muslims couldnt give a monkies about deo salafi brealwi al qaeda isis etc. to them we are all same and they will target one at a time. as for deos not defending themselfs how is that disrespectful? the scholars who got targetted it should deal with it robustly. if we do it on their behalf its only going to encourage non muslims to carry on. they just going to think well we cant have been that bad if only people who are moaning is a few guys online but the actual people we lied against dont seem to mind
+1 -1Dislike x 1Agree x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#60 [Permalink] Posted on 10th April 2016 16:52
After Praise of Allah SWT and Peace and Salutations on beloved Prophet.

When someone asked Hazrat Aqdas Mujaddid-e-Millat Maulana Ashraf Ali Sahab Thanvi RA why he does not indulge in political activity like Hazrat Madani RA he said, "From where shall I bring the courage of Hazrat Madani?"

For people of knowledge, for people of insight, for people of Ghairah there is a monumental message in this response.

May Allah SWT grant us the Taufeeq to respect our Elders and value their teachings.

Hazrat Sultan-ul-Masha-ikh Nizamuddin Auliya RA is reaching fifty and visiting Ajodhan, Pak Pattan, to be with his Shaikh Fareeduddin Ganj Shakar RA. The Shaikh insists that the disciple must study some books with the the Shaikh himself. The following episode is from one of the lessons. The Shaikh is going through the manuscript and can not beyond some text. Nazrat Nizamuddin RA said that the Shaikh's brother has a better manuscript. In the rest of the lesson the Shaikh repeats, "This Faqeer does not have the capability to correct the manuscript." After several repetitions a fellow student said that the comment is aimed at you Nizamuddin. Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya RA is astounded and then he is devastated. After the class he leaves for the jungle in a state of desolution. There was constant crying and a mood of extreme dejection.

Another fellow student noticed this and reported it to the Shaikh. The disciple is called back and in the next moment is bestowed with the Ijazah as well as successorship.

So what conspired in this anecdote?

From the second part it is clear that somewhere in the event there was a huge test for Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya RA.
He passed in that with flying colours.

What we fail to understand why the Shaikh took such a gigantic exception to a very innocent remark by a student? This is beyond comprehension.

Here is the answer. The disciple was Nizamuddin. He was on his way to become Sultan-ul-Masha-ikh and Mehboob-e-Ilahi. Now stretch your imagination to reach the level of tests that he would have to pass.

Me and you will not be tested to severely. When you are to be the guiding light for coming four centuries and beyond then your examination has to be exquisitely fine in subtlety and mighty in exertion.

If our flight of imagination does not reach the requisite level to comprehend this issue then we can go easy on ourselves and indulge in accepting our limitation. That is the only sensible option.

I shall buttress this issue by citing the incident of a western scholar. He was Swedush Tor Andrae. He is regarded amongst those western scholars who had a friendly and positive attitude towards Muslims and Islam and our beloved Prophet SAW.

Then you read his book on latter - our Prophet SAW. He is appreciative of everything but very flatly surrenders when it comes to forgiveness of beloved Prophet SAW. He simply refuged to accept that one can forgive so serious crimes that Prophet SAW did.

That was Tor Andrae's limitation. Believe me it takes faith in Islam to reach many of higher levels of understanding.

Tera wasf bayan ho kis se
Teri kaun karega badai
Is dasht-e-safar mein ghum hai
Jibreel-e-AmeeN ki rasayee

Who can narrate your character
Who can appreciate you
In this wild desert
Even Jibreel has limitation

Elders are inherotors of Rasoolallah SAW.
While dealing with them we must always take into account the narrative in Surah Hujurat.
There Sahaba RA are warned not to hurt beloved Prophet SAW for the consequences are extremely drastic.
You do not get a immediate slap.
That is not the way Allah SWT runs this world.
But when the things turn for worse later on then one is left with no clue how life became so bad.

Let us not f0rget that we lost Spain, India and half a dozen more empires.
This does not happen just like that.
May be it was all in random testing of Ummah by Allah SWT.
We can not deny that.
But can we really conclude that it was not a punishment of our actions?

When I narrated the story about Hazrat Nizamuddin RA to a Mufti from Darul Uloom he said that in above situation the student can politely point out Shaikh's mistake if it goes against Shariah.

I personally have done the following - I simply submitted to an Elder even when I was dead sure about the issue at hand.
Believe me or not it was beneficial for me at the end of the day.

I would, in particular, say that this flippant attitude to talk about Hazrat worship is simply not the correct one.

Even when we feel extremely restricted by the rules of Sulook then too we have a lot of leverage.

Please ask very politely that you desire to focus upon worldly issues like Muslim security, scurity from deviants and heretic sects, you want to work in lines that will liberate our life space from encroachment by others. Social, cultural, scientific, technological, military, business, commercial, financial, industrial and political space.

I am not claiming that all is cozy-cozy and easy and Haluwa.
+3 -0Winner x 2

Jump to page: