Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Am I transgender?

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 1st August 2015 18:19
Salam, I am a girl in early 20s. When I was a kid I used to insist that I be referred to as a boy. I dressed up in tshirts and jeans, played with guns, boys my age etc.
I hated frilly female clothes, dolls, pink stuff, dollhouses.I used male pronouns for myself.

On the first day at school, I asked my teacher if I could wear the boys' uniform as I liked it more to which she replied "You have to wear what the girls are wearing because you are a girl.". I didn't protest or anything and started referring to myself as a girl at school. In other words I was a boy at home and a girl at school. This went on till prep level after which I "became" a girl although my interests and hobbies didn't change.

At this age, I am comfortable with being a girl, heterosexual and DO NOT want a sex change but I still do not like makeup, selfies,girly shoes, dresses,nail polish and whatever other things girls my age are crazy about. My interests and hobbies are what many would call "male" like computers and videogames etc. I like to wear comfortable clothes mostly jeans and shirts(which are designed for females). So does this make me a transgender?? I am very uncomfortable thinking that I might be one and have gender dysphoria.
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 1st August 2015 21:16
You were born as a girl so you are a girl, your hobbies or clothing doesnt change your gender. gender dysphoria is a mental disorder
+3 -0Like x 2Winner x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 1st August 2015 21:38
Quote:
At this age, I am comfortable with being a girl, heterosexual and DO NOT want a sex change but I still do not like makeup, selfies,girly shoes, dresses,nail polish and whatever other things girls my age are crazy about.

You are as Allah made you and you have answered your own question.
This section is not for discussion and therefore will be locked soon.
Please see how women in Islam should be dressing, the clothes should be loose as you mention, make-up etc should be reservedf or the husband and not put on in public anyway. Selfies, high heels and so on are not Islamic either.

Having interests in computers is not only for males, you could use this hobby to educate girls in the future, just like we have sisters who are educatedi n the Deen. Being a scholar is not just for men, women are included.
+0 -0Agree x 1
UK
Brother
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 1st August 2015 23:59
Thread moved from Q&A section to people's say.

لَعَنَ اللهُ المُخَنَثِينَ مِنَ الرّجَال وَالمُترَجّلاَتِ مِنَ النّسَاءْ
(Ahmad, Tirmizhi, Bukhari)
Allah سبحانه وتعالى has cursed (deprived of His mercy) the Mukhannatheen from men and Mutarajjalaat from women

Mukhannatheen are those who imitate women
And Mutarajjalaat are those who imitate men

There are other Ahadeeth too and this is indeed a serious matter. There's many articles and audios available online if searched. I recommend understanding the concept of gender in general and maybe also seeking professional help in the matter. I recommend requesting access to the sisters group here www.muftisays.com/forums/usergroups.html?group=1485 and continuing the subject there.
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd August 2015 00:11
Thanks but I am not exactly imitating men. I just think like them. Now how can I make myself like something if I just have no interest in it? Plus do I fall in the transgender category or not?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd August 2015 00:14
abu mohammed wrote:
View original post

Ummm educate girls in the future? Is that all I can do after getting an engineering degree?
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd August 2015 02:04
No You dont fall into transgender all it means is that you are not superficial and shallow like others , who think that the most important things in the world are makeup, shoes, diets, nail polish, from a gender point of view you are perfectly normal Insha'Allah...But as Maulana Yasin pointed out going to the opposite extreme of dressing and acting like a male would be problematic, a muslim woman should embrace her femininity and be proud of it. But from what you are saying you dont imitate men, you just have hobbies and interests that are more popular with men then they are with women, such as engineering and computers....! It seems to me that you read about Gender Dysmorphia and assumed because of your hobbies and interests you may have it, similar to when people read about physical illnesses and assume they may have the illness because they have similar symptoms, if that is the case then avoid reading such things it is a recipe for anxiety and depression.

Concerning your Engineering Degree, if you make your intention to use the knowledge you gain for the sake of Allah by using it for the service of others then their is a great reward in it. Zubaida Khatoon, the Wife of Haroon ar Rashid, was a Master, in several fields, including Engineering, she set up one of the greatest Civil Engineering projects in history.
+9 -0Like x 7Winner x 2
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 2nd August 2015 11:55
Thanks that makes sense :)
No post ratings