Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Muadh_Khan, Taalibah, abu mohammed, Naqshband66
Rank Image
Germany
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd January 2015 11:01
Quote:
After he received in 1918 the Nobel Prize in Physics, Max Planck went on a tour through whole Germany. Wherever he was invited, he delivered the same lecture on Quantum Mechanics. As time went by his Chauffeur knew the lecture by heart. "It must be boring to you, Mr. Prof. Planck, to always deliver the same lecture. I suggest, that in Munich I will do it for you and you sit in the first row wearing my Chauffeur cap. It will thus make for a nice change for both of us." Planck was amused and agreed, so the Chauffeur delivered a talk on Quantum Mechanics infront of an high-quality audience. After some time a Professor in Physics came forward with a question. The Chauffeur replied: "I could've never imagined, that in an advanced city like Munich such a plain question will be asked. I'll request my Chauffeur to answer your question."

I translated this from a German book, basically on 52 common rational fallacies. On the authority of Charlie Munger the author then goes on to explain, that there exist two kinds of knowledge. First that of those who acquired knowledge by putting a lot of effort and time into it. And secondly the chauffeur-knowledge: Learning empty words and delivering a show. Possessors of the latter might have a nice voice or are convincingly eloquent, but they do not possess real knowledge except for words. He includes most of journalists, news-anchors and others in this group.

I feel the same when people give talks and blatantly just imitate Mawlana Tariq Jameel [hafizahullah] or some other great orator. Those men put tremendous effort and time in aqcuiring their knowledge and in research, just copying their words without it's depth makes one look pitiful.
report post quote code quick quote reply
+8 -0Like x 5Winner x 2Creative x 1
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 22nd January 2015 19:53
Brilliant.

It's a shame that many of us understand the logic behind such examples, yet when it comes to the Deen, many of us become specialized in fatwas and forget that we don't even qualify as chauffeurs!

Remember
+0 -0Agree x 1
Rank Image
Gham-o-Huzn
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 24th January 2015 07:19
True Life wrote:
View original post

That quote is quite common in Physics circles.

+4 -0Like x 1

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What part of the day is the background image (it's not day)?