You have contributed 66.7% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
Seifeddine-M, abu mohammed
UK
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 6th October 2011 06:47

The Qur'aan:
"You shall give the due alms to the relatives, the needy, the poor, and the travelling alien, but do not be excessive, extravagant."

"They ask thee, (O Muhammad), what they shall spend. Say: that which ye spend for good (must go) to parents and near kindred and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer. And whatsoever good ye do, lo! Allah is Aware of it. (2:215)"

Nabi (s.a.w) said,
"Give charity without delay, for it stands in the way of calamity." - Tirmizhi

Hadeeth of Bukhari that under the shade on the Day of Judgement will be seven. He (s.a.w) then lists them and amongst them is: "a man who gives in charity, in such a manner that his left hand does not know what his right hand gives in charity"

TODAYS CHARITY:

Pair in hospital after Kismot 'killer' curry contest
Kismot restaurant Kismot's curry competition aims to raise money for charity!!!!!

Two people have been taken to hospital following the "world's hottest chilli" competition at an Edinburgh Indian restaurant.

Parties, BBQ's, fun days, competitions and so many more examples of todays methods of raising money for charity which have no Islamic value to it are accepted, more like demanded by Muslims nowadays.

There are Masaajid who almost do an auction type money raising events in Ramadhan.

"We have fiftyone pounds from Abdullah Bhai, who can beat this, who wants to outweight him on the scale on the day of judgement, place your bids"...

"Yes we have one hundred and one pounds from Ismail Bhai Paisawala. Allah Qubool Farmaye (May Allah accept it)" - How ironic that the essence of charity is being eaten up by the presenter, by the public and by the danger of complete lack of sincerity in the donation that he adds, "May Allah accept it"?

Next time you give even a penny, remind yourself, "why am I giving charity and for whose pleasure am I donating"

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
London
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 6th October 2011 10:13
Allah, the Exalted, says:

"It is neither their meat nor their blood that reaches Allah, but it is piety from you that reaches Him.'' (22:37)

"Say (O Muhammad (saw) ): Whether you hide what is in your breasts or reveal it, Allah knows it."(3:29)

Many people need to learn a very important lesson in regards to intentions. People just dont get it.

When I sit down with friends and family and the discussion about money comes about, every body seems to get upset when I tell them the possibility of them not getting any reward for giving charity.

For example, When some one is asked to give in charity for helping the needy, every one is hesitant. But when a respectable person asks many people at the same time, then people look at each other to see how much they give, then they either beat their contribution or match it.

So what happens in that case. Well The donation was not given with a clear intention rather, it was given due to onlookers. Some give with the intention that people will praise me and that I will be restpected in society.

So now what, when the intention is clear, Allah shall give what you intended for. In other words, if someone gave charity to gain respect, then Allah shall make the people respect him and nothing more. If someone did it for fame, then Allah shall give them fame, nothing more. If they did it out of shame, Allah shall remove that shame and nothing more. There is no reward in the Akhira. Allah will tell them to go and get their reward from those whom they did the action for, i.e Respect, name, shame, honour etc.

"Actions are by intentions, so each man will have what he intended. Thus, he whose migration was to Allah and His Messenger, his migration is to Allah and His Messenger; but he whose migration was for some worldly thing he might gain, or for a wife he might marry, his migration is to that for which he migrated."
[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

I would recommend the talk by Shaykh Riyadhul Haq on Sincerity of Intention, InshaAllah, this can change the way you think.

This includes anything and everything.

Are you going for Hajj? are doing Hajj because you want people to have more respect for you or because a certain person in the family hasnt done it yet and you want to show them.

Are you inviting people for diner for the sake of Allah or just because other people will talk if you dont.

Are you praying Salah because others are noting what you are doing or are you praying it for the sake of Allah.

Make your intention clear, as Allah will ONLY give you what you intended.

Abeautiful story of intentions, if only we could be like that
No post ratings
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 28th August 2014 00:11
Assalamualaykum

3 Questions

1. Is it permissible and ethical to raise money for oppressed persons around the world by having charity dinners, car washes, mountain climbing, braais etc, bearing in mind that the Ummah is so weak that people need to be incentivised to donate?

2. How did Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam encourage Sahabah?

3. Are there any examples analogous to that of a braai or car wash that he used to entice Sahabah to spend in the Path of Allah?

Please elucidate fully so that I may obtain a better understanding of my responsibilities in this day & age.

Assalamu alaykum

Respected brother in Islam

1. It is not permissible to raise funds in this manner.

2. Nabi Sallalahu alayhi wasallam encouraged them by narrating to them the virtues of spending in the path of Allah Ta’aala. He did not ask them to clean camels and climb mount Uhad or have charity dinners etc.

3. Whatever you can, quietly spend it in the way of Allah. It is not the amount that counts, it is the intention.

Was-salaam

Jamiatul Ulama Gauteng
No post ratings
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 28th August 2014 00:22
Assalamualaykum

3 Questions

1. Is it permissible and ethical to raise money for oppressed persons around the world by having charity dinners, car washes, mountain climbing, braais etc, bearing in mind that the Ummah is so weak that people need to be incentivised to donate?

3. Are there any examples analogous to that of a braai or car wash that he used to entice Sahabah to spend in the Path of Allah?

Please elucidate fully so that I may obtain a better understanding of my responsibilities in this day & age.

Answer

The methods which you have stated in 1) are the ways invented by the enemies of Islaam. They do not produce Barakaat or goodness. Eventually, sin is perpetrated via these methods. A Muslim should not use or participate in these methods - using wrong methods does not produce proper results. Nabi (S.A.W) should just make a general appeal in the Masjid and Sahabah (R.A) should respond.

And Allah Knows Best

Mufti Elias (May Allah Protect him)
No post ratings
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 28th August 2014 00:31
Assalamualaykum

3 Questions

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

1) These are not appropriate ways due to the intermingling and wastage that takes place at such events including the costs of organizing such events.

2) Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) motivated the Sahabah by the rewards promised in the Qur’an and Hadith.

3) No.

And Allah Knows Best.

Wassalaam.

Mufti Suhail Tarmahomed

Fatwa Department

Respected Brother/Sister in Islam

As Salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

Haamidaw wa Musalliyaa

Your query refers;

1. These practices do not appear to be in keeping with Islamic teachings.

2. General announcements and encouragement used to be made like in the Tabuk expedition.

3. As above.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Was Salaam

Shafiq Jakhura (Mufti)
M.D. Mangera (Mufti)
Fatwa Dept.

Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre

No post ratings
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 28th August 2014 00:40
ASSALAMU ALAIKUM

13 Shawwaal 1435 (9 August 2014)

(1) It is not permissible to raise funds by means of haraam functions and methods. Allah's Deen is not in need of such funds.

(2) Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) encouraged Sahaabah by repeatedly telling them: "Fear Allah!, and by explaining to them the wonders of Jannat.

(3) The Sahaabah spent in the Pasth of Allah only for His Peasure. They did not need any of the stupid and haraam methods in vogue today. Their focus was on the Aakhirah.

Our responsibilities in this age are the same as they were duiring the time of the Sahaabah. Nubuwwat and Wahi ended with Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). We have the same Qur'aan and the same Shariah to follow.

Was-salaam

A.S. Desai

For

Mujlisul Ulama of S.A.
No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What colour is the text 'ABC' written in?