This book is a must read for everyone i think. Its a book by Shaikh Zakaria Khandalvi RA (author of fazail amaal, tafseer of bukhari and many other great works). A student of his wrote him a letter with 7 questions of a political nature which were relevent to muslims at that time and even now in 2007 its very much the same.
The answers were so beneficial that a book was made of his response. 7 questions to which 7 answers covers 260 pages - every page is full of pearls of wisdom from quran/sunnah/sahabah. I've read it a few times now over the past 10 years or so but each time i read it i gained something new from it. just started reading it again so thought i'll mention it here.
Here's the 7 questions asked:-
- How is that mauIana madni and mauIana ashraf aIi thanvi, aIthough both being such saintIy personaIities, can have differences of opinions?
- Who's view is correct and whats your opinion in these matters?
- What shouId we do? ShouId we Iay ourseIves down and die? Why do you not join any side? (briefIy discusses jihad)
- Today the musIims are being dispersed and destroyed. What shouId they do?
- "SeIfish personaI motives pIay a part in peopIes actions and intentions and it seems as if everyone are foIIowing their own desires".
- We see that the dignity of the uIema is purposefuIIy being destroyed and on every front we hear them being critisised and abused.
- The differences between the uIema.