Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Hijab

You have contributed 33.3% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 11th May 2006 15:45

I came across this article while surfing the web and thought it might be beneficial if i post it.

HILARIOUS HIJABS

It has been my personal observation that some Muslim girls and women do not realise the significance of hijab. Hijab is Arabic for protection and cover. Some people put a lot of effort into their hijab, yet it serves no purpose. I am referring to the pointless hijab that some girls wear.

The first pointless hijab is referred to as the headband hijab. It is a band of fabric approximately 4 inches wide. It covers the back of the head and allows all the hair to be exposed. It doesn't serve much in terms of modesty, but at least it comes in handy in case of an unexpected tennis match!

The second pointless hijab is the dupatta, also known as the Saran wrap hijab. It covers all the hair, but it is totally transparent. Again it doesn't serve much in terms of modesty, but it keeps the hair nice and fresh!

The third type of hijab is known as the Micky Mouse Hijab. It is when a girl wears a black scarf and tucks it behind her ear, so that her ears stick out!

We now move on to my favourites - the yo-yo hijabs:

The first yo-yo hijab is the scarf that keeps falling down and needs to be constantly pulled back up.... up, down, up, down, just like a yo-yo!

The second yo-yo hijab is also referred to as the convertible hijab. This type of hijab is predominant at any type of social event, i.e. an Aqeeqah, Bismillah party, Ameen party, wedding, etc. This is when an Imam or Qari comes up to the microphone and starts to recite Qur'an. At this point, all the convertible hijabs come up... until he says "SadaqAllahu Atheem." I'm not sure, but apparently in some cultures that translates to "OK sisters, you may take off your scarves."

I'm sure this may seem odd, but what's even funnier is when people do not anticipate the recitation of Qur'an at a social event, and are forced to be creative and use accessories such as a purse to cover one's hair. I was surprized to see a woman hold her purse over her head as "hijab"... as if the multitudes of men surrounding her are not a good enough reason to wear hijab, but some guy reciting du'a compels her to hold a purse over her head. Her friends were more creative... one friend used her dinner napkin. I was also laughing when i saw the communal hijab- two or more girls dropped under one dinner napkin during the recitation of Qur'an. Her other friend was still more creative. She used her coffee saucer on the back of her head. I wasn't sure of it was hijab or Yamaka. I didn't know if she was a Muslim or a Jew. I felt like going up to her and saying "Shalom alaikum, sister."

And, people should remember that hijab is not just a protection from guys, but from a girls' nafs (ego) as well. It should prevent girls from having to spend hours in front of the mirror doing her hair. But, unfortunately, you see girls in front of the mirror for hours doing their hijab as they would do their hair, with all sorts of elaborate braids and the like. I wanted to go up to a sister and say "Is your hijab naturally curly?" I also felt compelled to go up to another girl and say "Pardon me, but is your hijab naturally that colour, or did you dye it"?

Well the point is that some people make an effort to wear hijab, but it is futile, because it is not fulfilling its purpose. It's like using an umbrella with holes in it. Hijab is used for protection from guys as well as from the girl herself, and should not be used as an accessory or for beautifying one's self.

Any way, that's it. If any one disagrees with me or is offended, then you are disagreeing with the teachings of Allah Subhaanuhu wa Ta'ala.

Author: unknown.

report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2006 02:49
Quote:
:) you said everything in a funny way.. i liked the yo yo style very much hehe
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 12th May 2006 12:03
As salamu alaikum,

it may have been 'amusing' but we must have patience with our sisters and encourage them to improve their practise of Islam. The way of Rasoulullah (saw) to improve people's state of Imaan was not to mock and curse.

If so, then surely it must be added the hilarious beards of many brothers...firstly there's the rude boy cut, grafitti face...dare I continue??

No post ratings
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 14th May 2006 12:45
walaikum salaam,

That's true. I suppose even that little bit of shame or modesty in attempting to cover the head when a dua or quraan recitation is heard is something.

The same can be said for muslim sisters that cover their heads in ramadhan only. A lot of the time, when they do this they get told "whats the point? your just going to take it off after ramadhan anyway." and i think thats wrong. they should be encouraged because it shows they have something in them telling them they need to cover their heads and inshallah if their encouraged as opposed to mocked than thay may continue wearing it after ramadhan aswell.

No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Unspecified
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 14th May 2006 18:34

I agree with your point of view and am sorry if the above article has insulted anyone in any way.

I just came across the article on the net and thought it might help someone change their intention or way of wearing the hijab.

salaams.
No post ratings
UK
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 14th May 2006 20:26
If the point of the article was mockery then I'm sure everyone agrees that it's not right.

If the point of the article was to be an eye opener which in one way it is, then Allah will reward the intention.

I'm sure there are those who will take a lesson from it and there are also those who will laugh and continue on their own ways. Allah guides, it is He who will either accept the efforts put into the article and let it be a means of someone changing their ways for the better and it is He who can see the intention in the article if wrong and not let it be a means of guidance.

Our duty is to let it be if the message is correct and if the method is incorrect the by all means, we can point it out like brother aag did. However, I myself don't see that much offence in it whereas another might.

In conclusion, I truly do hope sisters sort their ways of Hijab coz no one is losing out but themselves.

No post ratings

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What part of the day is the background image (it's not day)?