Forum Menu - Click/Swipe to open

Of Worship and Knowledge.

You have contributed 0.0% of this topic

Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
To appreciate this topic, click 'Appreciate Topic' on the right.
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 13th August 2019 15:42
As-Salaam alaikum,
Says Allahu Tabaraka Wa Ta'ala in ayat 56 of Surat Zariyaat of the Holy Qur'an (51:56):--

"I CREATED NOT THE JINN AND MANKIND EXCEPT THAT
THEY MIGHT WORSHIP ME."

In his Kitab al-Luma, Abu Nasr al-Sarraj (d. 378/988), may Allah be Merciful to him, reports the comment of Ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him: the word 'worship' here means 'knowledge' (ma'arifa), so that the phrase ILLA LI-YA'BUDUNI (except that they might worship Me) becomes ILLA LI-YA'RIFUNI (except that they might know Me).
The very purpose of the creation of man thus comes to be equated with that knowledge of Allah which constitutes the most profound form of worship. This view dovetails with the Hadith-Qudsi frequently cited by Sufis: 'I WAS A HIDDEN TREASURE AND I LOVED TO BE KNOWN, SO I CREATED THE WORLD..'
report post quote code quick quote reply
No post ratings
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 13th August 2019 15:48
Question

We often hear the Hadith qudsi that Allah Ta’ala was a hidden treasure, what is the status of this Hadith?

Answer

The complete narration is as follows: (Allah Ta’ala said)

“I was an unknown treasure and I wished to be recognised. So I created the creation and introduced them to me, they recognised me”.

This narration is a fabrication. Hafiz Ibn Taymiyyah, ‘Allamah Zarkashi, ‘Allamah Sakhawi and Hafiz Ibn Hajar (rahimahumullah) are unanimous that this narration has no basis.

One should therefore abstain from quoting it.

(See Al Maqasidul Hasanah, Hadith: 838, Dhaylul La-alil Masnu’ah, hadith: 1028 and Al Masnu’, hadith: 232)

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

hadithanswers.com/hadith-qudsi-i-was-an-unknown-treasure/
report post quote code quick quote reply
+1 -0Like x 1

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What shape is the green shape ('box' is not a shape)?