Appreciate
Topic Appreciation
abu mohammed, Maria al-Qibtiyya, Naqshband66, Taalibah
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#1 [Permalink] Posted on 16th February 2014 16:58
What is istidraj?

It is when Allah سبحانه وتعالى gives fortunes to someone whereby Allah سبحانه وتعالى is not pleased with him. This is what's called istidraj. Rasullulah (saw) said :

"When you see Allah سبحانه وتعالى gives good fortunes to his slaves who are always committing sins (disobedient), know that the person is being given istidraj by Allah سبحانه وتعالى."
(At-Tabrani, Ahmad and Al-Baihaqi)

However, those disobedient people who keep on committing sins are clueless. They think that they received the fortunes because God is with them and they feel that God is kind to them in spite of their wrongdoings. Then again the people who know that we must follow the footsteps of Rasullulah (saw) and hold on tight to Islam in order to obtain happiness in this dunya (world) and akhira (afterlife), are still doubtful.

Why is it that people who pray 5 times a day, who wake up in the middle of the night to offer tahajjud, who fast not only in the month of Ramadhan, but also on Monday, Thursday and other voluntary fasting, live an ordinary life... some are even living in difficulties. Why? And how about the people who never pray in their whole life, nor fasting, yet they are living a prosperous and affluent life? Their houses are conspicuously built, their expensive cars are parked from end to end and they have a lot of money in the bank.

When asked if they are not afraid of death? They would say mockingly; 'hey, others would die as well, if we go to hell, we'd all go together in multitudes. So what!' How arrogant they are...

Even Rasullulah (saw) who ascended to heaven and had a personal audience with Allah سبحانه وتعالى was never proud in his life. Prophet Suleman (as), despite his great dominion that subdued all creations both in the seen and the unseen worlds, was never arrogant! Prophet Yusus (as), being the most handsome man ever created and Prophet Dawud (as) with his most beautiful angelic voice, never had a speck of pride in their hearts. When the time and the moment came, they still bowed and prostrated themselves praying before Allah سبحانه وتعالى, many times in tears.

Men with "istidraj - Men who forget their lowly origin. Despite indulging in sins, they feel that Allah سبحانه وتعالى love them. They look with disdain at people who practice religion. "He goes to the mosque every day and night, but he can't afford to buy even a bicycle, whereas I go the nightclubs driving my expensive car. There is no need to practice religion, fortunes will still come like the rains. If he reduces his time worshipping he would be able to become rich like me," he said arrogantly. In reality, sometimes Allah سبحانه وتعالى gives a lot of fortune to someone in order to destroy that person.

Rasullulah (saw) said: "When Allah سبحانه وتعالى intends to finish off a termite, He would make that insect flies with its wings." (Kitab NasaibulIbad)

Termites stay quiet under the rocks or crawl beneath the dead leaves while they do not have the wings, but when Allah wants to end their lives He gives them wings. Then they would turn into winged termites (alate). When they have acquired the blessings (wings), the winged termites would fly and try to resist the fire. Likewise, when a human being acquires good fortunes, he would try to resist Allah سبحانه وتعالى.

We have the Pharaoh (Firaun) as a proof. His riches was beyond measure, he was never sick, not even a sneeze because Allah gave him the blessings of good health. Other people got sick many times, but not Firaun, other people died, but he still never showed any sign that he was going to die, until the feeling of arrogance and pride came into him and straight away claimed himself God. But it was with that "blessings" that Allah destroyed him.

King Namrud tried to burn Prophet Ibrahim (as) who was termed khalilullah (Friend of Allah), still Allah سبحانه وتعالى gave him status and great kingdom. It made him more and more arrogant and in the end he met his death in a humiliating way. He was killed simply by a mosquito that entered him through his nostril.

No human today can match Qarun in terms of his richness. The key to the warehouse that stored his wealth alone, had to be carried by 40 camels. In the end, due to his arrogance he was swallowed beneath the earth together with all his wealth. So if we are rich, don't be swollen with pride and think that Allah loves us... Qarun was even richer but he was destroyed in the end.

Therefore if we reflect and examine properly, we will find the answers to all the questions that have been lingering in our minds. How could people who disobey Allah seem to be happy and triumphant? Why do people who deny Allah live comfortably and prosperously. The answer is that; those comforts and prosperities that Allah imparts on them are not something that He's pleased with. In truth they are meant to destroy them. What is the point of living without Allah's pleasure?

However if we see rich people practice religion and use expensive cars to go to mosques, don't say that it is istidraj. We see our friend got promotion at work and call it istidraj. We see people in high position and status, and say that it is istidraj. DON'T! People who use his good fortunes for goodness, for worshipping Allah are not istidraj (meaning, we should not let ourselves reject wealth at the same time).

A hadith that needs to be mentioned here is;

Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه narrated, Rasulullah (saw) said: "Charity does not decrease wealth."
(Muslim)

This applies to both the believers and the disbelievers. The more we give away our wealth for charity the more rizq we get in return (note: the subject of rizq is very encompassing, it is not limited to material wealth only but it includes everything beneficial to humans, eg. good health, happy marriage, stress-free life, etc.). When this happen to non-muslims who are generous and not arrogant, it is not istidraj; it is the good that Allah pays them with in this world as per another hadith, but that was just it... since they disbelieve in Allah سبحانه وتعالى the benefits do not extend to the hereafter.

From Anas bin Malik رضي الله عنه reported the Prophet (saw) said:

"Verily Allah سبحانه وتعالى does not diminish the welfare of the believers. He will be paid in this world and rewarded in the hereafter. On the other hand, the disbelievers will be given livelihood and welfare in accordance with what they work for in this world. When it comes to the hereafter there will be no more good to be rewarded for them."
(Sahih Muslim)

If we want to be safe, we should have the understandings and live by certain principles.

It is not wealth that we are looking for and it is not poverty either. The purpose of life is to seek Allah's pleasure. How can we determine if the good fortunes we receive please Allah? One can recognize the real blessings when he shows gratitude to Allah upon the gifts. If he uses them in the right way for the purpose of goodness and it makes him more sincere in his commitment to Allah, then all the gifts he received is a real blessing from Allah that He's pleased with. When the purpose of life is to seek Allah's pleasure, undoubtedly we will be safe in this dunya (world) and akhira (hereafter).

Allaahumma anta maqsuudee waridaaka matluubee
"O Allah, I want You and Your Pleasure only"

Wallahualam.

Source
report post quote code quick quote reply
+6 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#2 [Permalink] Posted on 16th February 2014 18:12
السلام عليكم

The miracles performed by non-Muslims is also termed istidraj. Like the miracles performed by Dajjal etc.
+7 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#3 [Permalink] Posted on 16th February 2014 18:20
Informative, jazakumulah.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#4 [Permalink] Posted on 18th February 2014 02:18
umar123 wrote:
View original post

And I had this thought why miracles happen to non-Muslims. So miracles are not the basis of truth. But we believe in Islam just cos Allah has instilled this into our heart that it's truth.
+1 -0Like x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#5 [Permalink] Posted on 18th February 2014 06:54
There are many incidents of Mu'jizas and Karamats mentioned in the Quran and Hadith of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam). Allah Ta'ala speaks about the Mu'jiza performed by Saleh (Alayhis salaam) by bringing forth a young camel from within the mountain upon the request of his people to prove the authenticity of his prophethood (Surah A?araaf Aayat 73).

Allah also speaks about the Mu'jiza performed by Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) by merely pointing at the moon ordering it to split into two parts (Surah Qamar 1). Hadhrat Eesa (Alayhis salaam) used to perform Mu'jiza by healing people despondent of any cure (Surah Mumtahinah Aayat 110). The purpose of such miraculous incidents is to substantiate and consolidate true and correct beliefs. Many disbelievers accepted Islam upon witnessing such miraculous incidents. However, these miraculous incidents can be performed by disbelievers as well and it is called Istidraaj.

Among other differences between Mu'jiza, Karaamat and Istidraaj, one is, prophets and saintly people attribute the miracles to Allah and invite towards Allah, as opposed to Istidraaj wherein the magicians attribute their miraculous performances to themselves.

Before Qiyamat, Dajjal will appear and perform strange and peculiar things like bringing rain, killing a person and restoring life, etc. He will claim divinity and prove it through magical incidents. People with weak faith, in view of his magic, will have faith in him and become kaafirs. Similarly, the magic performances of any magician, David Copperfield etc., is Istidraaj. Allah Ta'ala grants them respite and people with weak Imaan forget the ultimate Power of Allah Ta'ala and become confounded with the powers of magicians and place their faith and confidence in them. The magicians may be regarded as preliminary shows of the ultimate magic of Dajjal. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) cautioned the Ummah of the tricks of Dajjal and cautioned about his kufr deceptions.

Source
+3 -0Like x 3
Rank Image
Unspecified
Brother
#6 [Permalink] Posted on 18th February 2014 12:56
Good fatwa, but I disagree with the statement about David Copperfield. Because what he does is not actual magic, just tricks of the eyes and use of distractions.
+1 -0Agree x 1Disagree x 1
Rank Image
UK
Brother
#7 [Permalink] Posted on 18th February 2014 13:48

Isn't Istidraaj = Movie special effects?

+1 -0Creative x 1
Rank Image
Unspecified
Sister
#8 [Permalink] Posted on 20th February 2014 10:26
Question
I have been studying Ma'ariful Hadeeth & I have been unable to move on as the issue of Istidraj in the the 1st edition seems to be haunting me. My question is - how do i know if i am not under this category of people discussed in the topic of Istidraj?

Answer
Ulamaa ID 01
Answer last updated on:
7th October 2004
Answered by: Ulamaa ID 01

The question you asked was regarding Istidraaj. This is the state of a person who is favoured by Allah but lives a life of sin. Alah is allowing him time to realise and return to the right path. I would like to ask, what is haunting you? why do you feel you may fall under this category? are your actions in accordance to the commandments of Allah and his Rasool or contrary to them. If the former, then you have nothing to worry about and the thoughts you are getting are from Shaytaan. Whenever they come to you, ignore them and hold firm to the teachings of Islam. If the latter, then indeed you have something to worry about. Make Du'aa to Allah so that he assists you in the situation you are in. Imaan is in-between hope and fear. A person shouldn't be content with his life as to think that he is now successful. He should always be careful. Umar Radiyallahu anhu is reported to have said, " if it was announced that nobody except one will enter Jannah i have hope this one person is me. And if it was announced that nobody except one will enter Jahannam, i fear it will be me."

May Allah guide us all and give us steadfastness.

Answer Approved by Shaikhul Hadeeth Mufti Farooq
--------------------------------------
Mufti Yaseen Shaikh

www.muftisays.com/qa/question/54/answered-istidraj-in-maa...
+3 -0Like x 1Winner x 2

Quick Reply

CAPTCHA - As you are a guest, you are required to answer the following:

In the above image: What shape is the green shape ('box' is not a shape)?